PDA

View Full Version : I need some more power.

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 02:35 AM
My '02 1.7EL is alot slower than I thought. Well technically it's not really "mine" in the sense that it was passed down to me from my mom, so I didn't really have a say in what car I got (obviously). The torque is just horrible, I think it's at about 110, and my horsepower is at about 135. The EL is alot heavier than it looks too....

Need you guys' advice. I'm wondering what are some good rides I could be looking at that aren't too expensive..... I'm willing to consider cars to about the 33000 range, but if it gets too expensive I'd probably have to lease or finance. Would you guys reccommend leasing or financing a brand new RSX type-S or going for something older and cheaper. Remember, I want something with some reasonable power, hehe.

Thanks

GTS Jeff
10-05-2003, 02:46 AM
financing an rsx-s would be sweet, but whether its a good financial decision or not really depends on your financial status.

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 02:49 AM
Also, I'm probably going to stick to japanese cars.

I've looked at the RSX, Civic Si (the top end one), Celica. I've only test driven the RSX-S and it really owns it up at 6000+ rpm, a really awesome ride. Any other cars in this category I should check out?

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
financing an rsx-s would be sweet, but whether its a good financial decision or not really depends on your financial status.

yes, as would anything you buy, anytime, anywhere. affordable or not, do you think it's worth to pay 4.8 percent for 5 years?

sandman
10-05-2003, 03:45 AM
if ur talkin brand new, then go RSX-S i guess, IMHO avoid civic, it is a B16A2 the one ur lookin at i thnk? but still, ur goin from 135 HP to 160 and shedding a few 100 lbs,
if u can go used
buy that FD car that was up for sale
for 33 000 theres sooooooo much u can get
spend about 17 on a good conidtion TT car, dump the rest in mods and c could b a 10 second car, w/ 16 grand for mods???????
spend 6 on suspension, and 10 on engine, ud b maaaaaaad fast, and pimp too....but from all the financing talk im guessin ur only lookin at brand new, so, RSX-S id say...
i got an rsx for sale if interested, tip tronic, white, non type S tho?

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by sandman
if ur talkin brand new, then go RSX-S i guess, IMHO avoid civic, it is a B16A2 the one ur lookin at i thnk? but still, ur goin from 135 HP to 160 and shedding a few 100 lbs,
....but from all the financing talk im guessin ur only lookin at brand new, so, RSX-S id say...
i got an rsx for sale if interested, tip tronic, white, non type S tho?

actually the rsx-s is 200 hp... i don't know what other specs are different other than a slightly lowered suspension (i think?) and less headroom. I think the torque is the same as the other models, and of course the s is a 6 speed.
I'm totally open to getting an older car too, if the car is good it doesn't matter if it is old or new.

how much is the latest FD3S?
I don't mean to sound stupid, but are Evos coming to Canada anytime soon...if so, I wouldn't hesitate to wait for those.
how much is your rsx goin for?

rice_eater
10-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Also, I'm probably going to stick to japanese cars.

I've looked at the Civic Si (the top end one)

really? the top of the line civic is the SIR

pinoyhero
10-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Check my post in the for sale section. 2002 Acura TL-S, $34,000, so its in your price range, oh yeah and 260HP!

max_boost
10-05-2003, 12:07 PM
RSX-S!
I love mine so much! You won't regret it.

You should also check the acura website to see what their finance rates are. I remember getting mine for 3.8% and that was the only reason whY I picked up the car.

GTS Jeff
10-05-2003, 12:26 PM
the sir has a k20a, a detuned version of the base model rsx. so if u were gona buy an sir, u might as well get a base model rsx. rsx-s is in a totally different league altogether.

celica is personal preference. the base models are quite slow, and i thought that even the 6 speed gts wasnt up to my expectations in terms of power. that, and the gearbox sucked!

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
RSX-S!
I love mine so much! You won't regret it.

You should also check the acura website to see what their finance rates are. I remember getting mine for 3.8% and that was the only reason whY I picked up the car.

what year is your rsx-s and when did you pick it up? Lease on 4 years, right?
'03 Civics are going for that much on lease, so you got a pretty sweet deal.
visited toyota and the 04 matrix was going for a whopping 6.9 while the 03s were not going for much less, under consideration of things for 4.8%.

yeah, I looked at the SIR too, it's quite funky how the gearbox is on the lower part of the dash...feels alot more natural actually. But the Si I was considering is the coupe, the highest end coupe, not the SIR.

Seanith
10-05-2003, 05:07 PM
The coupe will be as fast as your "shitbox" 1.7 el. Whats the point of changing it? Some engine and everything, except your car is nicer. If you want something fast get an older turbo car.

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~
The coupe will be as fast as your "shitbox" 1.7 el. Whats the point of changing it? Some engine and everything, except your car is nicer. If you want something fast get an older turbo car.

any suggestions?

gpomp
10-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Why not turbocharge the EL?

hjr
10-05-2003, 05:42 PM

any suggestions? for your price range, you could look into a FD. Nice cars. A little on the crappy reliability if its not religiously maintained and looked after, but powerful, light and boosted. A good combination. But again, be careful about buying tt RX-7. If you have ANY doubts about the engine at all, walk away. its not terribly uncommon for them to be replaced at 100 000km. Yikes.

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Why not turbocharge the EL?
no thanks, I don't think it'd be wise spending that kind of money to make a car like this "faster". I'm looking to own a true sports car.

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by hjr
. But again, be careful about buying tt RX-7. If you have ANY doubts about the engine at all, walk away. its not terribly uncommon for them to be replaced at 100 000km. Yikes.

ouch, really?
yeah, I'm looking into something with rear wheel drive too.

rice_eater
10-05-2003, 09:39 PM

no thanks, I don't think it'd be wise spending that kind of money to make a car like this "faster". I'm looking to own a true sports car.

then a civic Si is definately a bad choice

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

then a civic Si is definately a bad choice

yeah I figured...well...I've got some ideas now, thanks for your help guys.

sandman
10-05-2003, 11:57 PM
like i said before man, TTZ, wont regret it, as for the RSX 160 hp thingy i said i meant the base rsx, my bad, if ur lookin brand new, id say RSX S all the way, the TL is a big ass 4 fr car, not my thing anwyays, but get something with some boost man
a MR2T, TTZ, sometthing liek that and u cant go wrong, and with a 33 G budget u can go a LONG ways with that on a TT car

Skyline_Addict
10-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by sandman
like i said before man, TTZ, wont regret it, as for the RSX 160 hp thingy i said i meant the base rsx, my bad, if ur lookin brand new, id say RSX S all the way, the TL is a big ass 4 fr car, not my thing anwyays, but get something with some boost man
a MR2T, TTZ, sometthing liek that and u cant go wrong, and with a 33 G budget u can go a LONG ways with that on a TT car

sounds pretty fly, I'll look into it.
thanks alot hehe.

hjr
10-06-2003, 10:01 AM

ouch, really?
yeah, I'm looking into something with rear wheel drive too. A RX7 is RWD... or is that what you meant???

AaronS13
10-06-2003, 02:04 PM
for new and FWD, go with a SE-R Spec V.... torque can be your friend you know... hehehe

for new and RWD... ummm... boost your budget

for an older RWD, either go RX-7, 300ZX, or for less power but tons of power potential, 240SX...

Skyline_Addict
10-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by hjr
A RX7 is RWD... or is that what you meant???

yep yep, i know rx7 is rear

Skyline_Addict
10-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by AaronS13
for new and FWD, go with a SE-R Spec V.... torque can be your friend you know... hehehe

for new and RWD... ummm... boost your budget

for an older RWD, either go RX-7, 300ZX, or for less power but tons of power potential, 240SX...

yeah a 240 would be nice.
my friend has an 89 and the interior is shitty, do the more upscale 240s come with a nicer interior?

GQNammer
10-07-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater

really? the top of the line civic is the SIR

For canada yes =)

Seanith
10-07-2003, 03:00 PM
The newer generation of 240-SX has a much nicer interior i believe.. those are definitely in your price range, and you'll have $10k plus left to mod it. Just get a swap done, and some misc items and your smoking.

Skyline_Addict
10-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~
The newer generation of 240-SX has a much nicer interior i believe.. those are definitely in your price range, and you'll have $10k plus left to mod it. Just get a swap done, and some misc items and your smoking.

sounds liek a plan I will definetely look into a 240.
so from my calculations the newer generation 240 is around 23000? what is the year on the one that's on your mind?
cause my friend's (or so he says) 89 is worth like 3500, that's a pretty big diff....

Eric Happy Meal
10-07-2003, 08:05 PM
well if your talking in terms of used cars whats your limit?

and with 23K you could buy a TT supra, spend $1,400 and have 460 hp.

or if you want you could even buy a vette and have mad power and mad turning.

and with your limit i am greatly surprised to see you looking at the lower end cars.

SI-vic
10-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Eric Happy Meal
well if your talking in terms of used cars whats your limit?

and with 23K you could buy a TT supra, spend $1,400 and have 460 hp.

or if you want you could even buy a vette and have mad power and mad turning.

and with your limit i am greatly surprised to see you looking at the lower end cars.

but hey Clown-kid, I thought you said 400-460hp isnt anything special?
hmm looks like that plan is out of the question.

and if you cant read, he said he wants to stick to japanese cars.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-07-2003, 09:31 PM
A 240sx with sr20det swap would be nice. There are a few newer ones for around 10-15. An sr20det black top would run you about 4000 plus install. Sweet car and sweet engine.

Eric Happy Meal
10-07-2003, 09:56 PM
400 isnt anything special. but you cant argue with 460 hp for only 1.4K.

and he said hes probably going to stick with japaneese cars, which means that his decision isnt final.

and wait a second....if your looking in the 33,00 range wouldnt that put the sti in there???

GTS Jeff
10-07-2003, 10:04 PM
400 isnt anything special. but you cant argue with 460 hp for only 1.4K.

and he said hes probably going to stick with japaneese cars, which means that his decision isnt final.

and wait a second....if your looking in the 33,00 range wouldnt that put the sti in there??? we use our own currency over here, yankee.

Eric Happy Meal
10-07-2003, 11:01 PM
oi! well your pretty close to it allready, so id suggest driving the vbeater around saving money till you can afford it.

ShOwOfF
10-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
we use our own currency over here, yankee.

:rofl:

Skyline_Addict
10-08-2003, 01:10 AM
oi! well your pretty close to it allready, so id suggest driving the vbeater around saving money till you can afford it.

yeah, or not.
just because a car is older doesn't diminish it's character.
in my opinion, right now alot of the older 90+ sports cars have alot more personality than the more generic and newer ones. I like the 240sx deal, it's one of my favorite cars.

and I had to put up with a north american car for a few months...not pretty.
when I said probably japanese I meant most likely japanese - if not, then european...just to make that clear... I hate north american cars.
So, the corvette is definetely not something that has ever and will ever cross my mind.

What do you guys think of an older teg or mr2 turbo?

Thanks....

Seanith
10-08-2003, 01:31 PM

sounds liek a plan I will definetely look into a 240.
so from my calculations the newer generation 240 is around 23000? what is the year on the one that's on your mind?
cause my friend's (or so he says) 89 is worth like 3500, that's a pretty big diff....

Yeah i'm referring to 95+ 240sxs.. but yeah i haven't looked into it recently but they should be $14k-20K or so.. then the new engine, and some turbo ugrades etc and your pretty fast.. a last generation mr2 turbo would be tight too, but those are usually harder to find and go for a little more than a 240sx (S14). HTH

alloroc
10-08-2003, 02:15 PM
I know when someone suggested to mod the car you have you said you didn't want to spend the money and you wanted a tru sports car.

Consider this.

What is the difference in value between your car and a rsx-s? I'm guessing at least 10-15 thousand. For that kind of money you can change the EL into dang near anything you want!. For 5 grand you can turn it into a turbo charged monster and for another 5 I am sure there are enough civic suspension upgrades out there you could easily own 999/1000 cars that you pass on the street. Talk to the guys at one of the custom performance shops around town.

ShOwOfF
10-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
I know when someone suggested to mod the car you have you said you didn't want to spend the money and you wanted a tru sports car.

Consider this.

What is the difference in value between your car and a rsx-s? I'm guessing at least 10-15 thousand. For that kind of money you can change the EL into dang near anything you want!. For 5 grand you can turn it into a turbo charged monster and for another 5 I am sure there are enough civic suspension upgrades out there you could easily own 999/1000 cars that you pass on the street. Talk to the guys at one of the custom performance shops around town.

:werd: I've yet to see a really nice 2001+ el or civic sedan

sandman
10-08-2003, 02:48 PM
io hav an idea for u
well, id say go for a TT Z for that much u could hav like 600 hp car from 33 gs
but
take an S14
and swap a RB26DETT front clip
holy god
thatd b amazing

Eric Happy Meal
10-08-2003, 06:08 PM
RB26 is a humoungous swap. and seriously if your looking for a car with power why would you get an integra?

Skyline_Addict
10-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Consider this.

that's something to consider...but it's not all about the perfomance of the car.... the EL just doesn't feel like it's mine.....

RB26 is a humoungous swap. and seriously if your looking for a car with power why would you get an integra?

well, that's why I asked.

TomBomb
10-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Hey Skyline.
Just thought Id chip in a few statistics. the new Honda Si(with K20A3 engine) is reported to be faster than RSX Type S (w/ K20A2 engine). Even though RSX'S engine supposedly forks out 40 more hp(bout 200), the Si's light weight beat the RSX-S in the quarter and 0-60. You might consider buying a Si and swapping the k20a2 rsx engine into it? It is easy to swap. Very few differences in the engine. Si is around 20 grand + engine = under $33 000. Just an observation. Hope it helps

gpomp
10-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by TomBomb
Hey Skyline.
Just thought Id chip in a few statistics. the new Honda Si(with K20A3 engine) is reported to be faster than RSX Type S (w/ K20A2 engine). Even though RSX'S engine supposedly forks out 40 more hp(bout 200), the Si's light weight beat the RSX-S in the quarter and 0-60. You might consider buying a Si and swapping the k20a2 rsx engine into it? It is easy to swap. Very few differences in the engine. Si is around 20 grand + engine = under $33 000. Just an observation. Hope it helps
I don't think so... The fastest SiR I've seen ran a 16.4 in Edmonton. Whereas RSX-S's run low to mid 15's easy.

illeagle
10-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Subaru impreza

GTS Jeff
10-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by TomBomb
Hey Skyline.
Just thought Id chip in a few statistics. the new Honda Si(with K20A3 engine) is reported to be faster than RSX Type S (w/ K20A2 engine). Even though RSX'S engine supposedly forks out 40 more hp(bout 200), the Si's light weight beat the RSX-S in the quarter and 0-60. You might consider buying a Si and swapping the k20a2 rsx engine into it? It is easy to swap. Very few differences in the engine. Si is around 20 grand + engine = under $33 000. Just an observation. Hope it helps gee-willikers...i guess the 20lb difference between the 2 cars is enough to make a huge difference in speed hmmm? hahahahahaha

and wtf, the engines of the rsx-s and the sir are so similar that the cost of swapping is far from justified, keeping in mind that a type s motor would cost a shitload since the car is new.

cookbob
10-27-2003, 10:01 PM
u should go test drive a 2003 hyundai tiburon tuscani i hear they go pretty good. v6 with 172 hp and 181 ft/lbs or torque.

INITIALD
10-27-2003, 10:42 PM
My buddies selling his turbocharged gsr for 23,000 obo. PM if your interested

Boostn
10-27-2003, 10:49 PM
RSX-S is a good, well balanced car. But if you're looking for something quick with good performance potential, I agree with what others had to say.. 300ZX TT, FD, Talon AWD, 240SX w/ sr20det swap, MR2, Supra etc. Then buy a beater for daily driver/winter use. My .02... with 33K you should be able to find something decent with $$$ left over for a reliable beater.