PDA

View Full Version : Trans Cooler Leak!!!

Ymerej472008
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Hey,
Long story, short. I was in the process of changing out my radiator because it cracked this weekend along with the output line for the transmission cooler. Now my problem is that the output line runs through the rad for about 6 inches up and then comes out and into the cooler then the return line is coming out of the cooler itself. I've attached a half-a** sketch!! The vehicle is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Gas by the way.
1. This is the line that cracked but I have now plugged and am wondering if it is okay to bypass the cooler as long as im not towing anything or driving for long distances?
2. Return line coming straight out of the cooler
3. These are the fittings where the coolant enters and exits for a very short distance probably only 6inches or so.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/ymerej47_2006/Raidator.jpg

sr20s14zenki
01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Dont tow, and itll be fine for short term. I wouldnt leave it like that forever tho. Go to pick n pull, there may be a similar truck/rad setup there that you can rob one from. Cooler tranny fluid=longer lasting transmission, heat wrecks stuff.

btw, you can go to autovalue and get an aftermarket tranny cooler, and run a line into it from the tranny, and a line back out to the tranny from the other side of it. They are like 50$, easy to install. Try that route