PDA

View Full Version : Jalapeno Lemonade

nonlinear
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
I was grocery shopping at Sobey's about a month ago, and happened to come across a package of mix for Jalapeno Lemonade. I am an ardent fan of both jalapenos and lemonade, but would have never thought to put them together. I have to say that the idea certainly piqued my interest, however. Instead of buying the $6 package of dry mix, I thought i'd take a look on the net first and see if I could find a recipe to make it fresh at home.

well, a quick google search later and I had a nice-looking recipe from the Totally Chili Pepper Cookbook by Siegel and Gillingham. It's quite simple:

0.5 C sugar
6.5 C water
0.75 C fresh lemon juice
2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and sliced (with seeds)

Combine sugar and 0.5 C water in small sauce pan. Simmer until sugar dissolves and liquid is clear, about 3 mins. Combine in pitcher with remaining water, lemon juice, and sliced jalapenos. Stir and refrigerate 1 to 3 hours. Strain or serve with jalapenos.

(I strained out the jalapenos after refrigerating for 3 hours).

By now I bet some of you are dying to know what it tastes like... Well, i have to admit it's quite 'different,' but the overall flavor is really quite nice. It has the flavor of fresh pepper flesh with just a hint of lemon in the background. Very nice. Is it spicy? Well, my first sip seemed a bit spicy because I'm not used to drinking spicy fruit juice. But as I continued to drink and become accustomed to it, it because quite palatable. I'm just now about to pour my third juice glass, actually .:thumbsup: . There is a bit of a kick to it, but it's definitely not so hot that it's non-drinkable or would make your eyes water or anything. I think I'll be making this a lot this summer, as it seems like something that would be a real thirst quencher on a hot day. would also be a nice 'exotic' drink for parties, etc.

RY213
01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
This sounds interesting, im gonna try it myself and get back to you...

Pihsiak
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Gonna wait for the morning report to decide whether or not this drink is a good idea or not.

http://wwwimage.cbs.com/cms/files/gallerix/albums/23/23270/full/1.jpg

nonlinear
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
^^haha, actually i made it (and drank some) yesterday. I just got home from work and was drinking it and it inspired me to make a post

Swank
01-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Hmm, this sounds good, I've never heard of it before. Reminded me of ginger beer when you described it's spiciness. I really like superstore's ginger beer, especially with dark rum :drool: . I wonder if the jalapeno lemonade would go well with vodka or something.

bawlls
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
^^do you have an alcohol problem? what ever happend to drinking it with out vodka, rum or w.e?

rockwolf2001
01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by bawlls
^^do you have an alcohol problem? what ever happend to drinking it with out vodka, rum or w.e?

well someone has their panties up in a bunch... he was just suggesting the idea of alcohol and automatically you assume an alcohol problem, whats your problem?

as for the drink itself, it sounds interesting

you mentioned something about the package of mix, did you try that and the recipe, or did i misread and you're supposed to combine the mix with the recipe? which tastes better?

i love peppers, but i couldn't see making a drink out of it lol

GQBalla
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
i love jalapenos but in lemonade?

i may have to dry the pre mix stuff ahahah

nonlinear
01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Swank
I wonder if the jalapeno lemonade would go well with vodka or something.

yea, my gf mixed it with vodka and said it was really good. i haven't tried it yet, though. maybe tonight as i watch the inauguration festivities on tv :)

it also seems like something that would be great as a slushie-type drink... maybe use crushed ice in place iof some water and put in the blender with some booze hahahha

Originally posted by rockwolf2001

you mentioned something about the package of mix, did you try that and the recipe, or did i misread and you're supposed to combine the mix with the recipe? which tastes better?

sorry, i should've been more clear. i saw the dried mix in sobey's, but instead of that i figured I would try and make it fresh at home with real ingredients, cause i'm kinda picky that way. (we drink a lot of lemonade at our place and often have a pitcher in the fridge. i tried dried lemonade drink crystals once in my life and - blech - can never go back again).

so basically, there is a dry mix at sobey's, or you can make it fresh at home. i would recommend the latter, although I haven't actually tried the mix.