PDA

View Full Version : help with back injury

scboss
01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
To start i have been working out for the last 11 mnths or so and everything has been going great except for one thing. For some reason i continue to hurt my back doing deadlifts my form is right and im not lifting heavy at all. I have hurt myself 3 times now, the first time i was lifting 170 and everything was fine then my back got messed after about the 4th week. I stopped doing deadlifts for 3 mnths or so then i went back and started light (70 pounds) and the same thing happened. Yesterday i tried to do it again i put 65 pounds on the first 2 sets and it was fine third set second rep back got messed again. Should i just cut these from my routine im sick of not being 100 percent and i can do everything except this. If it matters im 6'4 185. Your help is greatly appreciated

theken
01-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Low back or upper. How much pain on a 1 to 10 scale and do you get pain when you do other back

Oz-
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Pain in your back from deadlifts.

- If it is a dull sore pain that goes away after a day or two, then that is normal
- If a sharp pain that is localized then not good and see your doc.

Might also be because you have bad form. You said that you have good form, but video tape yourself and critique it. You can also do accessory exercises to gain some strength in your posterior chain (glute ham raises, pull throughs, reverse hypers, etc)

scboss
01-19-2009, 07:39 PM
its lower back pain, it hurts enough for me not to be able to continue my excerises for the day im still pretty stiff today but not to much pain. i had a trainer and my form is good and that is all i focus on. I have never got hurt at the gym except for doing this excerise. Im not sure what to do because i cannot miss anymore work because of this bs

scboss
01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
btw i have been to a doctor and he says its a lumbar strain

Little Dragon
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Time for a form check.
Get a video of your deads.

maybe its before/after you do the actual excercise.

Happened to a guy I knew, great form during the actual motion, but when he was done and went down to set the weight on the ground he always arched his back too much and ended up putting too much stress on the back.

Pacman
01-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Take it easy on your back and rest up for a while. If it continues to hurt then you should ask your doctor for an MRI to see what's happening.

I hurt my back working out 5 years ago and ended up with a herniated disc. After 2 back surgeries, I'm still feeling the pain on a daily basis.

scboss
01-25-2009, 05:42 PM
yeah deadlifts are out back hyper extensions are in. just gonna do squats and take it easy for a while. Its already feeling 100 times better