PDA

View Full Version : Tasty Meal Replacement Shakes

flipstah
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm running out of my Ensure powder mix and since it's impossible to get this stuff in Calgary, I was wondering what are some tasty substitutes for a complete meal replacement program? It's not really a complete replacement but something to consume when I get the urge to eat junk food or sweet stuff. I usually mix it with soy milk if that is of relevance.

Seems kind of risky buying a big tub of whey protein supplement if I won't like the taste. Probably not but I was wondering if there's place that does taste testing or soemthing?

Thanks and hope you can help out!

BumbleBeeCivic
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
why don't you stay with protein shakes? Protein powder is expensive enough, don't waste your hard earned money on calories

its relatively easy( and cheap) to add good quality carbs to a protein shake, things like:

- milk
- fruit
- peanut butter.
- flax oil

most things will hide the taste of the powder, too.

flipstah
01-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by BumbleBeeCivic
why don't you stay with protein shakes? Protein powder is expensive enough, don't waste your hard earned money on calories

its relatively easy( and cheap) to add good quality carbs to a protein shake, things like:

- milk
- fruit
- peanut butter.
- flax oil

most things will hide the taste of the powder, too.

Well the reason is because the ones that I currently consume doesn't exist in Canada. You can only buy Ensure powder in Europe and Asia.

I already consume fruit when I can and I LOVE pistachios so that's my nut substitute. Milk I can't consume daily because that used to be my meal replacement until it turned me lactose intolerant.

Flax oil, I am unsure of its benefits so I shall google that.

:thumbsup:

kerry
01-20-2009, 12:25 AM
BSN Sythna 6 is delicious. Has a few carbs, and some fat. Vanilla Milkshake is a great flavour to mix stuff in with.... bananas, peanut butter etc.

timdog
01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
agreed, syntha6 is the best 'meal replacement' protein. makes you feel full, gives you immediate protein and because of the blend of different protein types, your body slowly digests it's remaining protein throughout the next 5 hours or so. moccacino is the best flavor, but they all mix easy and do not get chunky or anything. relatively cheap at about 45 bucks

kutt3r
01-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by kerry
BSN Sythna 6 is delicious. Has a few carbs, and some fat. Vanilla Milkshake is a great flavour to mix stuff in with.... bananas, peanut butter etc.

BSN is pricey but good stuff... very tasty.

As always I will prop www.trueprotien.com best flavors and quality.

flipstah
01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone!

I'll check out BSN and True Protein to do a price comparison. And maybe throw out different brands and see what the Beyonders will say about that.

reno97637
01-22-2009, 02:16 AM
You can also try GNC's Power Shake. I think it tastes like melted chocolate ice cream.

ironblood
01-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Muscle Milk tastes great too... higher Saturated fat content, but tastes good.

civicrider
01-22-2009, 09:46 AM
not a fan of muscle milk way to sweet
i like my boost and quickmass

Oz-
01-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Thanks everyone!

I'll check out BSN and True Protein to do a price comparison. And maybe throw out different brands and see what the Beyonders will say about that.

There is no price comparison at all. BSN is about glitz and glamour.

True Protein is white label high grade stuff. No frills and the more volume you purchase the better deal you get. They also don't sell out of a brick & mortar store, so there isn't an extra set of hands to add margin on the price.

If you want an additional 5% off at True Protein, you can use my referral code of ORP325.

zipdoa
01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
+1 on BSN being a brand name seller... they advertise like crazy and were sued a while back for lying outright about their creatine containing CEM3.

timdog
01-22-2009, 10:08 AM
i dont want to sound like a douche here, but when you look at all the proteins that trueprotein has on their site, it ends up confusing me. do they have something similar to syntha6, i.e. a blend of fast and slow digesting proteins? also which flavors do you recommend?

Oz-
01-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Whey Isolate - Cold Micro filtered stuff is pretty much what you get at the brick and mortar stores. Caesin is slower digesting. They have a pre-mix that is pretty good called Team Skip and for flavors all of them are pretty good. You can get a flavor pack to try them all out which is 20 packets of 50g whey isolate with each flavor. Otherwise, the flavors are pretty standard and if you prefer a specific kind (ie: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry) will likely be pretty close to what you want.

timdog
01-22-2009, 10:53 AM
oh, i see... i missed the 'pre-mixes' section of the website.. thanks. i definitely like the prices.

flipstah
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey everyone!

So I visited my neighborhood GNC and bought a container of Vanilla Ice Cream Syntha-6.

It is very delicious and quite addictive actually :D Better when the water is colder and mouth-watering by itself or with peanut butter!

I bought it for 60-something altogether with my new GNC Gold Card. :nut:

After I finish this, I will check out True Protein and buy a test container. If I like it, I'll buy more in bulk.

Kerry wasn't lying; this is WAY better than the PC Soy Protein junk I was substituting with. :barf:

flipstah
02-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Sorry for double posting but I just needed some help here.

Originally posted by Oz-
Whey Isolate - Cold Micro filtered stuff is pretty much what you get at the brick and mortar stores. Caesin is slower digesting. They have a pre-mix that is pretty good called Team Skip and for flavors all of them are pretty good. You can get a flavor pack to try them all out which is 20 packets of 50g whey isolate with each flavor. Otherwise, the flavors are pretty standard and if you prefer a specific kind (ie: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry) will likely be pretty close to what you want.

I'm currently trying to navigate True Protein's site.

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Listings.aspx?cid=46&v=

There are a variety of meal replacement mixes but I'm unsure of what to get. I see this Team Skip formula that you speak off but can't find the sample packets. :dunno: