PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a photo album? And 5D questions

Melinda
01-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question for those who might have some experience with this kind of thing.

I have to photograph the contents of about 300 different photo albums this weekend. It's going to suck, but alas, it must be done. I plan on setting up the big light box with the tripod and all that good stuff, but I'm concerned about glare. They're all in those glossy photo pages and taking each item out of the page would litterally take forever. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do/buy/attach to my camera to eliminate the glare completely so I don't have any glare issues?

Also, I've recently inherited a 5D (mk I) and want to be able to use it for this project. To save time, it would be great if we could hook the camera up to the computer and skip the memory card all together. This particular location doesn't have any sort of wireless technology so that's pretty much out of the question. Is there a method/tool/cord we can use to make this happen? I'm looking to streamline this process as much as possible so that we aren't wasting too much time once we get going.

Thanks guys!

D'z Nutz
01-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Not knowing what your set up is gonna be like, the first thing that comes to mind is bounce the light and use a polarizer filter. Or if it's gonna be on a tripod anyways, maybe skip the flash altogether and expose longer.

You can tether the camera to a computer. All cameras now pretty much come with software to do this. I'm not sure which one does it exactly, but it comes with the camera (or any of your cameras if you don't have the 5D disc). The 5D uses USB 1, so it'll be slow. Might be faster to just use the card and copy the files over once it's full and repeat.

rage2
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
The software is called EOS Utility. It comes with the camera (I have v2 which should work for you if you want a copy). Plug in USB, you can setup all your settings on the computer, focus and see everything there, and shoot straight to your PC.

soupey
01-19-2009, 09:44 PM
canon comes with its own "Digital Photo Professional" program to use your camera from the computer...problem is its probably going to be slower doing that than just pulling the files off a memory card later. u might be better off just flipping page by page and using a remote shutter button rather than using a computer....as for glare, i'd say indirect ambient lighting + polarizer should do the trick...

Melinda
01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Not knowing what your set up is gonna be like, the first thing that comes to mind is bounce the light and use a polarizer filter. Or if it's gonna be on a tripod anyways, maybe skip the flash altogether and expose longer.

You can tether the camera to a computer. All cameras now pretty much come with software to do this. I'm not sure which one does it exactly, but it comes with the camera (or any of your cameras if you don't have the 5D disc). The 5D uses USB 1, so it'll be slow. Might be faster to just use the card and copy the files over once it's full and repeat.
Ah yes, I forgot about the polarizer. You wouldn't happen to have a 77mm polarizer kicking around, would you? IIRC the only one I have is the circular polarizer, but I'll have to check. I cant afford to have any glare, these photos have to capture the detail of the page contents and any glare could seriously screw that up. I am not sure if I'm going to bounce or if I will shoot through the light box with the strobes. Bouncing might be the better idea though.

Rage, I'll look for my software, the original owner of the 5D probably kept it as well. I'll have to get this all rigged up and see how it works before the weekend.

D'z Nutz
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Ah yes, I forgot about the polarizer. You wouldn't happen to have a 77mm polarizer kicking around, would you? IIRC the only one I have is the circular polarizer, but I'll have to check.

The circular polarizer will do, but if it doesn't fit your lens I have a cokin filter holder with a polarizer and 77mm rings if you need it.

New Direction
01-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Does the 5D have a firewire connection? It should be quicker than the USB. If it does I have a cable and a laptop adapter you could use if you need

rage2
01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I have a 77m polarizer available if u need one. I just got it this weekend.

rage2
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by soupey
canon comes with its own "Digital Photo Professional" program to use your camera from the computer...problem is its probably going to be slower doing that than just pulling the files off a memory card later. u might be better off just flipping page by page and using a remote shutter button rather than using a computer....
No way. WAY faster using computer. At least on my 5DM2.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by rage2

No way. WAY faster using computer. At least on my 5DM2.

5DI is USB1.1, hence the painstaking slowness when shooting tethered with 13MP files.