PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Road Test

MikeAg
01-20-2009, 11:08 AM
My two years is up with my Class 5 GDL License. Where can i take my advanced road test and what is the difference going to be with the new license?

GQBalla
01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
next time search, this has been discussed many times.

with full license you know get.
- full 15 demerits
- legal limit 0.08 alcohol

You can take the test thru registrys or you can call private instructors.

Gabe182
01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
I was going to ask. I just got my notice saying I've my class 5 GDL for 2 years without a ticket 4 months ago. I just got a ticket last month. Am I still eligible for the advanced road test?

ercchry
01-20-2009, 11:20 AM
i swear they must have stopped teaching reading comprehension as a skill in school

if you care to even glance at that little book that can be picked up at any register, or im sure can be found online you will notice the requirements for taking your advanced road test.... and for your question about getting a ticket, you are fine as long as you have not had a suspension of your license in the past year

Gabe182
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
perfect thanks alot man.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i swear they must have stopped teaching reading comprehension as a skill in school

if you care to even glance at that little book that can be picked up at any register, or im sure can be found online you will notice the requirements for taking your advanced road test.... and for your question about getting a ticket, you are fine as long as you have not had a suspension of your license in the past year

Reading > 90% of 09's... :rofl:

I just got my full license last year. Any registry will do it. You can bring your own car, but they will do an on spot visual inspection. All signals and lights must be working, and no cracks in the windshield. No parking is involved, but it's a little more meticulous than the original road test.

I asked my tester what the pass rate was, and he said ~50%, but he said most of the people failing are immigrants, who don't need to take the original road test (due to having a license in their own country) and really don't know how to drive.

Gabe182
01-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I dident know you can do it at a registry. I thought you had to go to AMA or somewhere that gives tests and classes.

ercchry
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
i did mine in lethbridge, had my student parking pass hanging from the mirror and all he did was ask me questions about how school was going then 15min later said i was doing fine and could head back haha... so slack

dannie
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
**********Changes came into effect on Jan 19 2009 regarding all road testing************************

You HAVE to book all tests thru a registry now. AMA doesnt test, private schools dont test and instructors dont test.

Gabe182
01-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Wow I had no clue that happened.

MikeAg
01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Its true.

Gabe182
I guess it was yesterday lol

dannie
Most people dont. So, if you have friends that are doing their road testing, make them aware.

As of Monday, no road tests are taken unless they are booked through an Authorized Registry Agent.

Here is the info you need:

http://www.shawnessyregistry.com/drivers_licences/road_testing.php

Plus, road tests can only be done during the registrys hours. So if you go to Wild Rose (for example), their last Advanced test has to start at 5 and be done before they close.

So, you are now rather limited unless you go to a registry that has longer hours.

Gabe182
01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
That sucks for places like calgary driving school and stampede driving school.

dannie
01-20-2009, 11:39 AM
^ It sucks for all driving schools including ama. They are all losing a lot of business because of this.

MikeAg
01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Is this true?
Insurance will not cover you in case of an accident due that you have not renewed your driving records.

88jbody
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by dannie
^ It sucks for all driving schools including ama. They are all losing a lot of business because of this.

yes but Alberta was one of the few that used to let private companies do testing. Most other Provinces are at the registry office only and have been a long time. the GDL in NewBrunswick if you take driving school you can get your full class 5 1 year sooner.

dannie
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
^ Well..... Im not sure what you are trying to ask. Insurance will not cover you in case of an accident due to the fact that you have not renewed your drivers licence? or due to the fact that you havent upgraded your licence from a GDL to a non-GDL?

gretz
01-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by dannie
^ Well..... Im not sure what you are trying to ask. Insurance will not cover you in case of an accident due to the fact that you have not renewed your drivers licence? or due to the fact that you havent upgraded your licence from a GDL to a non-GDL?

Asking - havn't told them about the recent demeritted tickets?

i am unsure - i would say no, that is their responsibility

dannie
01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by 88jbody

yes but Alberta was one of the few that used to let private companies do testing. Most other Provinces are at the registry office only and have been a long time. the GDL in NewBrunswick if you take driving school you can get your full class 5 1 year sooner.

Years ago it was all government run, but when Registries privatized in 1993, road testing did as well. Now, there are so many issues that have come to light lately, that the government just decided to shut it all down.

dannie
01-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by gretz

Asking - havn't told them about the recent demeritted tickets?

i am unsure - i would say no, that is their responsibility

If you havent told them about your tickets, dont. They will pull an abstract on your file when they need to. Until then, I wouldnt say a thing. No point in increasing your insurance rates unless you have to.

That being said, if you are suspended, thats a whole different ballgame.