PDA

View Full Version : how do chinese and viet restaurants seperate chicken thigh meat?

nonlinear
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
just curious, cause it's time consuming relative to other parts of the chicken (excluding wings)... do they actually buy a bunch of chicken thighs and process them into bite-sized chunks by brute force, or can they be bought already mechanically seperaated or something?

max boost?

supe
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Why just viet restaurants? Why the isolation?

ianmcc
01-20-2009, 02:52 PM
It's because they have little hands-to separate the meat from the bone easier.:nut:

xLostx
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
they get the FOBK's to roll in and shoot it off

nonlinear
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by supe
Why just viet restaurants? Why the isolation?

well, 1) viet and chinese (among other cuisines) cut up the food for you so you don't need a knife and 2) in viet and chinese cuisine, chicken = chicken thighs.

i guess my question applies to other cuisines as well, but the only time i really notice eating chopped chicken thighs

calgarys_finest
01-20-2009, 03:14 PM
How could you eat a chicken. they are kept in little cages for humans to eat then killed. You are so lazy for going to viet restaurant you should be out there killing your own chickens.

GQBalla
01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
they debone the chicken thigh.

its actually pretty easy maybe 30 seconds for a thigh?

i do this for myself sometimes :rofl: :goflames: :rofl: :rofl:

max_boost
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

:werd:

Although I don't work in the kitchen, it's pretty quick process.

A790
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
How could you eat a chicken. they are kept in little cages for humans to eat then killed. You are so lazy for going to viet restaurant you should be out there killing your own chickens.
lol wtf?!

badatusrnames
01-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by A790

lol wtf?!

Reference to the most recent zoo thread.

Linear thinks it's inhumane to take animals out of the wild...

calgarys_finest
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by A790

lol wtf?!

sorry should have made my sarcasm clear. Im a little off today.

nonlinear
01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
i said: it's inhumane to lock animals in cells for human amusement.

it's crazy how far and fast things get taken out of context around here, and how much a statement can be 'mutated' by just a few different paraphrases.

did you ever play the game telephone?????

badatusrnames
01-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

it's crazy how far and fast things get taken out of context around here, and how much a statement can be 'mutated' by just a few different paraphrases.

Haha and it's crazy how easily people are baited around here...

That and I was making fun of the people that weren't picking up on the finer points/distinctions of your arguments

Anyways... back to chicken.

sputnik
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
You can buy boneless skinless chicken thighs at most supermarkets.

nonlinear
01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
cool guys, i was just eating some oriental wok and became curious as to how they did that. i don't buy the chicken thighs and think i've only tried to clean them like 2 times in my life, and it seemed like a major PITA but i guess i'm just a thigh noob

EDIT: and i wasn't even deboning them, just trying to get the damn skin off haha (there is that weird line/fold where the skin is like attached by connective tissue into the bone and it's a bitch to deal with

benyl
01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
After enough practice, you can do it in about 3 cuts.

5 if you include trimming the fat.

EK 2.0
01-20-2009, 04:54 PM

I can't wait till you make me dinner....

n1zm0
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM

phuc dat, we do not have 30 seconds, infact we only have 18 seconds lol
sy6P3E84Dqs

among my favorite shows when i was younger, rivals price is right on sick days

or you could do it the caucasian way lol

Qe4qSPojwtw

chengj
01-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

phuc dat, we do not have 30 seconds, infact we only have 18 seconds lol

That's awesome. He spends more time "massaging" it then cutting it. I miss that show.

GQBalla
01-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I can't wait till you make me dinner....

keep waitin,

better go watch some yen can cook

dj_rice
01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Yan was awesome, I loved his funny aprons he would wear...ex "Wok This Way, Talk this way"

And thats crazy fast how he de-boned a whole chicken BUT thats alot of leftover waste still on the carcass :thumbsdow

01RedDX
01-20-2009, 08:20 PM

dj_rice
01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
^ That's Wok With Yan, the Canadian show with Stephen Yan. I can't find any clips though, but that was the best cooking show.

The clip on the first page is from Yan Can Cook, with Martin Yan. People always get those mixed up.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah your right, the other guy was fatter with balding head...

Heres some of his funny apron titles

* Wok & Roll
* Wokking My Baby Back Home
* Danger, Men at Wok
* Wok Around the Clock
* Wok the Heck
* You Are Wok You Eat
* Wok Goes up Must Come Down
* Wok's New, Pussycat?
* Wokkey Night in Canada
* Stuck Between a Wok and a Hard Place
* Raiders of The Lost Wok

01RedDX
01-20-2009, 09:14 PM

EK 2.0
01-20-2009, 11:41 PM

keep waitin,

better go watch some yen can cook

That's cold man...:(

frozenrice
01-21-2009, 12:20 AM
It's not chicken thighs. It's cat.

nismodrifter
01-21-2009, 02:43 AM
^:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Isaiah
01-21-2009, 03:24 AM

it's crazy how far and fast things get taken out of context around here, and how much a statement can be 'mutated' by just a few different paraphrase

...it seemed like a major PITA...

WHAT? You're a member of PETA (http://www.peta.org/)?

GQBalla
01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

That's cold man...:(

joking!!!

hmm i must be really young than i can't remember the original Yan that everyone is mentioning.

i can remember the yan can cook one though ahah

n1zm0
01-21-2009, 08:49 AM
ohhh i do remember Wok with Yan and the aprons! but didnt both of them also ask an audience member to sit at the table and eat? kinda like how emeril did?

clem24
01-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I am pretty sure 75% of all Chinese restaurants serve a.) processed chicken --> bits and pieces are processed and then formed into chicken chunks a la chicken nuggets, or b.) they bleach their chicken meat/processed chicken to make it look like white meat. Everyone ever notice how in Chinese restaurants they have thin/flat cuts of meat, doesn't have the toughness or the texture/flaking properties of true breast meat, and is very white?

And don't even get me started on their beef "tendorloin" or "fillet mignon", which is just ultra shitty cuts of beef tenderized to hell.

/rant

Anyway, yah thighs aren't that hard to debone.. You could always just buy boneless thighs.

nonlinear
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
i actually saw them at sobey's last night, cause i was looking for them. they had them skinned and de-boned.

i guess i never noticed cause i'm a cracker and not one to buy chicken thighs. i was just preparing a chicken for cacccitore one day, and noticed what a bitch the thighs were

dino_martini
01-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Yan was awesome, I loved his funny aprons he would wear...ex "Wok This Way, Talk this way"

And thats crazy fast how he de-boned a whole chicken BUT thats alot of leftover waste still on the carcass :thumbsdow

I watched one episode of Martin Yan. He was making noodles by like jumping on a bamboo rod to stretch out the dough or what ever. I have never laughed so hard in my life.

1997GSR
01-21-2009, 05:09 PM
they seperate it while behind the wheel of their car driving.

ExtraSlow
01-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Check out Pro at Cooking - With Dave (http://www.proatcooking.com/)

Good times.

TDA
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I am pretty sure 75% of all Chinese restaurants serve a.) processed chicken --> bits and pieces are processed and then formed into chicken chunks a la chicken nuggets, or b.) they bleach their chicken meat/processed chicken to make it look like white meat. Everyone ever notice how in Chinese restaurants they have thin/flat cuts of meat, doesn't have the toughness or the texture/flaking properties of true breast meat, and is very white?

And don't even get me started on their beef "tendorloin" or "fillet mignon", which is just ultra shitty cuts of beef tenderized to hell.

/rant

Anyway, yah thighs aren't that hard to debone.. You could always just buy boneless thighs.

You're ordering the wrong dishes, you're getting the cracker whiteboy dishes. They make it that way because thats the ultra-westernized chinese food. Get someone to go with you and order the real chinese dishes that chinese people actually eat.

n1zm0
01-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by clem24

thats a pretty huge percentage.. seems like you're eating at restaurants like pang pang, china rose, home food inn or treasures of china.. heck i even think singapore sams is horrible 'chinese' food, those are the places that caucasians call the 'lets go out for/i feel like chinese tonight' restaurants. :barf:

and processed chicken.. i thought that was more a subway and mcdicks kinda thing, i remember when i bit into the 'chicken' meat at subway and saw formed airbubbles in it.. obviously you've never had hainan chicken rice, soy sauce chicken or deep fried chicken with shrimp crackers etc

and no those little pieces of General Taos chicken dont count, it isn't even chinese.. it's just like a chicken ginger beef, a creation to appease the tastes of westerners.