PDA

View Full Version : Generic HDMI vs. Microsoft HDMI for Xbox 360

Weapon_R
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm trying to find an HDMI cable to hook up to my XBOX 360. Looking online, I have a choice between two cables:

First, a Chinese special 6' HDMI cable for a whopping $6.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/0/0/3/5/5/webimg/206821519_o.jpg

The genuine Xbox cable looks likes like it has an extra cable. It's also about 10 times more expensive than the chinese brand.

Question: Will the generic brand work the same as buying the more expensive xbox 360 version?

A790
01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Get the Chinese version, and if ti sucks you're only out $6.

kevie88
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Let me report back to you tonight.. I have to hook up my 360 so I'll try the cheapie cable first and let you know.

Weapon_R
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Thats what I was thinking, but it looks like the cable for the xbox connector partially blocks the HDMI port. I think I can squeeze the generic cable in there but it might be a tight fit.

GQBalla
01-20-2009, 03:33 PM
check out monoprice.com for your hdmi cable

calgarys_finest
01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Im using a Hdmi cable and not the xbox one. My buddy has the xbox one and we have the same TV i cant notice a difference. It also looks so much better than the cables it came with. After you set it up make sure you go into settings and change the display my buddy was pissed at first cuz mine looked better he thought it should change by default.

kevie88
01-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
Im using a Hdmi cable and not the xbox one. My buddy has the xbox one and we have the same TV i cant notice a difference. It also looks so much better than the cables it came with. After you set it up make sure you go into settings and change the display my buddy was pissed at first cuz mine looked better he thought it should change by default.

So your sound is working ok? I was messing around the other night and the sound didn't work.. but I think I need to set my reciever to use the HDMI for sound.

Do you have 5.1 sound with the HDMI cable alone?

dj_honda
01-20-2009, 03:49 PM
i use a cheapo cable. microsoft were jerks and purposely put the hdmi cable port like that so non ms ones "wouldn't fit". what you do is just break the housing of the cheapo hdmi and it will fit.

a cable is a cable...no difference.

calgarys_finest
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

So your sound is working ok? I was messing around the other night and the sound didn't work.. but I think I need to set my reciever to use the HDMI for sound.

Do you have 5.1 sound with the HDMI cable alone?

No i use a receiver.

Edit. If you are using a reciever make sure its set to use the hdmi in and out. My HDMI 1 is hdmi in and hdmi out. My HDMI 2 is HDMI and Coax.

chkolny541
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
i use a cheapo cable. microsoft were jerks and purposely put the hdmi cable port like that so non ms ones "wouldn't fit". what you do is just break the housing of the cheapo hdmi and it will fit.

lol the same thing happened with the charger, its a standard usb, but they decided to put a fucken retarded shaped end on the controller side so you have to buy ms made chargers

Weapon_R
01-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Do I need a 5.1 setup to use HDMI?

Wildcat
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

The same goes for home theater applications, get the cheapest ones available and don't let some shmuck sales guy try and talk you into buying monster cables, its a big sham.

Rstar
01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
i bought some RCA's for about $15 from princess auto and they seem to work perfectly

stevieo
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
i just used a regular hdmi cable works fine

HiTempguy1
01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

The same goes for home theater applications, get the cheapest ones available and don't let some shmuck sales guy try and talk you into buying monster cables, its a big sham.

I think a big reason a "cable is a cable" in this instance is because HDMI is also a standard, is it not? So the cable itself has to meet certain specs or it isn't HDMI. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I understand that HDMI is also a type of cable/connector.

cmyden
01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
From what I understand....

HDMI is a digital signal. When it comes to digital, you either have a signal, or you don't. It's 1's and 0's. Bits and Bytes. There can be no difference in quality between a $2 HDMI cable and a $60 cable.

However....

The cheaper cable will most likely be made of cheaper materials and offer less shielding, possibly exposing the signal to more interference (which with cheaper materials, will probably get worse over time).

But if the cable is so bad that interference is a problem, the receiver would likely lose signal and cut out completely or not even register. So a cable either works or it does not.

In short, an HDMI cable from MonoPrice will offer the exact same quality as the most expensive HDMI cable you can find.

TheCheff
01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I read this website called www.gizmodo.com daily they had a couple articles on this.

http://i.gizmodo.com/180281/hdmi-cable-price-gouging

http://i.gizmodo.com/238443/hdmi-cable-ripoff-continues-cable-prices-go-even-lower-elsewhere

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/hdmi-cable-shopping-guide-238190.php

Even a friend of mine who works at futureshop said the monster series hdmi cables are basically a way for them to make commission. He told me Dynex hdmi cables are just as good and proceeded to give my friend 3 dynex hdmi for the price of 1 lol.

SpoonEK9@STRD
01-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I have 5 dollar cables they work better than the monsters that I had..

Image quality was the same, also the same with sound.
One problem I had with the monster was it built up a charge or something so the screen would black out every 10 mins (tried it on ps3/dvd/xbox)...

swapped the cable to a cheapie now its fine.

jazzyb
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
no difference.

Weapon_R
02-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Yup, I ended up with the cheap one and couldn't be happier :)