connection with an off-duty incident that occurred over the
weekend.

On Saturday, Jan. 17, 2009, at approximately 11:40 p.m.,
Calgary Police Service officers stopped a vehicle during a
routine Check Stop Program event on Richmond Road near 17
Avenue S.W.

The driver of the vehicle, identified as an off-duty officer,
was displaying signs of alcohol impairment and was given an
Intoxilizer breath test, of which he failed.

The off-duty officer was immediately arrested, chartered and
cautioned.

Detective Travis DUNKLE, 42, was charged with impaired
driving and driving over .08. Detective DUNKLE has been a
member of the CPS for 17 years. He is currently relieved from
duty with pay.

As this matter is currently before the courts, no further
comments or details about the incident will be made or
released.

The Calgary Police Service takes any allegations of criminal
activity, misconduct or improper behaviour against its
officers very seriously. All incidents are investigated
thoroughly and impartially.

-30-

Public Email Contact:

[email protected]

-----END MD5 46100663dd72a863c493e1b6b4131771-----

adam c
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
He is currently relieved from
duty with pay.

only in the CPS

gretz
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM
The Calgary Police Service takes any allegations of criminal
activity, misconduct or improper behaviour against its
officers very seriously. All incidents are investigated
thoroughly and impartially.

He was drunk, he blew over - investigation? FK the system

Slap on the wrists?

rage2
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by adam c
only in the CPS
Don't blame the cops, blame the Union. It's part of their contract.

rage2
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by gretz
He was drunk, he blew over - investigation? FK the system
If you knew how shitty our system works, you'd realize that unless you kill somebody, you can get off of DUI's fairly easy, even if you're not a cop.

nonlinear
01-20-2009, 04:52 PM
i was reading somewhere that rates of alcoholism are significantly greater among police officers than bulk society (and i think it also said fbi agents and some other ones like that)

gretz
01-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by rage2

If you knew how shitty our system works, you'd realize that unless you kill somebody, you can get off of DUI's fairly easy, even if you're not a cop.

Unfortunately (and fortunately) i know the system all to well - hence the slap on the wrists.

JRSC00LUDE
01-20-2009, 04:53 PM

only in the CPS

And every other police force in Canada.

CUG
01-20-2009, 04:53 PM
lol dunkle... dummy

Masked Bandit
01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i was reading somewhere that rates of alcoholism are significantly greater among police officers than bulk society (and i think it also said fbi agents and some other ones like that)

That doesn't surprise me. It's a shit job with shit pay. It still doesn't make it okay though. LEO's are supposed to set a higher standard than the rest of society. This is going to make a mess of this guy's life either way.

Turns out it's his second run-in with impaired.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Calgary+police+officer+faces+third+offence/1198843/story.html

I think it might be time for him to dry out.

01RedDX
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Redlyne_mr2
01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
The CPS shines again. Good thing they caught him on a nightime 11:40pm checkstop and not one of those successful daytime 3:00 pm ones.
Travis Dunkie is a disgrace to police everywhere.

kenny

only in the CPS

and the rest of the civilized world. Innocent until proven guilty. :thumbsup:

gretz
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Here's the thing though...

It's his third time!

Should he be allowed back on the force?

Ya, hes not guilty until the investigations are done

revelations
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Alcoholism, high divorce rates, job dealing with the whiny public..... how do they do it?

01RedDX
01-20-2009, 05:03 PM

Eleanor
01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Innocent until proven guilty. :thumbsup:
Thank you :clap:

People need to stop thinking that it's only cops who get leave with pay.

DayGlow
01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I think his days are numbered with the force. He has been given a chance, more than once and he keeps fucking up.

B17a
01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
I think his days are numbered with the force. He has been given a chance, more than once and he keeps fucking up.

Good riddance! Third time is an absolute disgrace to good cops out there.

JRSC00LUDE
01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
People need to stop thinking that it's only cops who get leave with pay.

You need to stop expecting any significant level of intelligence or common sense from the majority here.

Eleanor
01-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
You need to stop expecting any significant level of intelligence or common sense from the majority here.
I know, I make that mistake far too often unfortunately. :banghead:

5hift
01-20-2009, 06:26 PM
How is this guy not fired yet?

Fuck it sounds like to get fired from the CPS you have to be caught firing off your gun while drunk as fuck going twice the speed limit and doing lines of blow off the dashboard with a dead underage hooker in the trunk.

JRSC00LUDE
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Fuck it sounds like to get fired from the CPS you have to be caught firing off your gun while drunk as fuck going twice the speed limit and doing lines of blow off the dashboard with a dead underage hooker in the trunk.

There's really no need for all the exaggeration, she doesn't have to be dead.

GQBalla
01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
mmm :eek:

TACO.VIDAL
01-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I wonder how other cops feel working with such a great guy.

At best, he's an alcoholic. Worse, he sounds like a total degenerate. Ripping off a cab driver for $8?

Im sure all the cops at his station know hes a drunk and that he drives drunk. This guy gives all cops a bad name. Hopefully he gets help with his drinking and moves on to a different job.

Stealth22
01-21-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't know if its just Ontario, or if its changed now, but last year, police services in Ontario weren't allowed to suspend officers without pay...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080208/WFIVE_money_nothing_080209/20080209?hub=WFive

EDIT: Reading > me
The article says AB police depts can suspend w/o pay...my bad..

gatorade
01-21-2009, 04:15 AM
lol i remember hearing about this guy when he skipped out on a cab fare

nonlinear
01-21-2009, 12:02 PM
whether or not he's a cop is kinda irrelevant i think - i mean, cops are just normal people like you and i. they do their job but that doesn't mean they are weird freaks who live their entire life "by the book." i mean shit, as i get older I have developed a LOT of respect for police officers, especially here in canada (i'm from us originally). If i didn't have the career i have now, I think I would seriously consider trying out to be a harley or bicycle cop. and i have by no means lead a perfect life (i had a dui a few years back and it was the worst mistake of my life and it will never happen again)

but, for active police officers convicted of a crime (especially repeat felonies), it makes sense taht they should resign or be fired. how can you trust them to do their job effectively when they are criminals themselves?

hrm.. i'm not sure what my argument is here, or if i even have one haha

semograd
01-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Give him another chance. Im sure he is a chill guy...

nonlinear
01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
dude, anyone with multiple DUIs probably drives drunk on a daily basis hahah.... not sure if i want my police officers to be that type of person!!??!

HiTempguy1
01-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by semograd
Give him another chance. Im sure he is a chill guy...

:rofl:

1997GSR
01-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm surprised they didn't let an officer drive him home in his own car like they did with that Sgt. a few years ago.

topmade
01-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes everyone is human, but there are jobs that put you in the public eye and you are basically in view at all the times on or off the job. Cops is one of these. This goes the same for politicians where what you do in your private life can and will have an impact on your career, so you have to take it up a notch and be an outstanding citizen.

This guy needs a kick in the nuts.

sillysod
01-21-2009, 07:04 PM
i have a relative that is RCMP and the majority of them drink and drive. I have been to parties in Ft. McMurray where cops were helping each other into their cars because they could barely walk.

It's sad, but dealing with the scum of the earth day in and out definately has a negative effect.

gatorade
01-21-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Three+cops+arrested+alleged+assault+robbery+delivery/1203872/story.html

this is worse, city workers had to intervene with shovels to protect the victim wtf?

1997GSR
01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by gatorade
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Three+cops+arrested+alleged+assault+robbery+delivery/1203872/story.html

this is worse, city workers had to intervene with shovels to protect the victim wtf?

lol

nonlinear
01-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by gatorade

yea, i heard about that on the cbc on the way home tonight. wtf? they have good jobs and the three of them together rob some lowly paper delivery dood for $200???? split three ways and maybe you can order a pizza or something. definately not worth risking your job over. shit, not even worth the scratches you would get during the altercation