PDA

View Full Version : RACE CITY - city hall vote coming! Contact your alderman!

Pages : [1] 2

reijo
01-20-2009, 05:48 PM
The vote is coming up at City Hall again on Jan. 26 - next Monday.

Get a hold of your local Alderman and let them know you want Race City to continue and, if not, that you will turn up and VOTE HIM/HER OUT for the NEXT ELECTION - 2010!!!!

http://www.secalgarynews.com/

Let's put the pressure on them!

Reijo

*Mod edit: Read more about the vote here (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/249474/another-race-city-thread/)

reijo
01-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Click on the link to get in touch with your Alderman via email ASAP.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Municipal+Government/Office+of+the+Aldermen/Ward+Offices/Alderman+by+ward.htm

And, should they not listen or vote against us, let's make damned sure to get out and vote against them! Let's make that an issue and a promise!

nissanK
01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up!:thumbsup:

Just sent an e-mail to them. Let's hope they do the right thing and LISTEN TO US!

5000Audi
01-20-2009, 09:01 PM
emailed my ward!

1997GSR
01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
sent

Dear Alderman _______,

It is with respect that I ask you to please consider voting with some of you colleagues in favor of extending the lease of Race City Speedway. The loss of such a facility in the Calgary area will be truly immense. I firmly believe that the closure of Race City will create a new wave of street racing on Calgary roads. Race City provides a safe and supportive environment for our youth to further their passion for automotive racing. People from all ages, and walks of life come together each weekend at Race City. We must continue to keep Calgary a vibrant destination and ensure we always have an automotive racing facility.

Thank you for your time,

1997 GSR

Trini
01-20-2009, 09:24 PM
emailed my ward as well

Projek01
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
^copied and pasted lol, i hope you are not in ward 5

gamman
01-20-2009, 09:39 PM
The guy (can't remember name right now) for the Westhills/Westside rec centre is a guy who supports race city and is the one who has been lobbying to get the lease extended, so try not to load his inbox, as he's on our side.

reijo
01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
McIvor is the alderman who's been lobbying for Race City to stay (I think he is in the SE .actuallY - which would make sense ????).

Also sent an email to Dale Hodges (my alderman).

At the Calgary Sports Car Club forum we've been discussing maybe getting together on the weekend at the City Hall steps or across the street at the Olympic Plaza as a show of support for Race City ... maybe have a few speeches - whatever. Anyone in for that?

Reijo

Idratherbsidewayz
01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Sent a message to Ward 13...

Trini
01-21-2009, 12:37 PM
got this reply

"Thanks for taking the time to write - the office received a lot of letters on this - Bob is aware of the support in Ward 4 for the venue . There does appear to be some support to extend the lease - I'll pass along your comments.

Toms-SC
01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Moved to front page. Supported! :thumbsup:

The Cosworth
01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Dear Alderman Joe Ceci,

It is with respect that I ask you to please consider voting with some of you colleagues in favor of extending the lease of Race City Speedway. The loss of such a facility in the Calgary area will be truly immense. I firmly believe that the closure of Race City will create a new wave of street racing on Calgary roads. Race City provides a safe and supportive environment for our youth to further their passion for automotive racing. People from all ages, and walks of life come together each weekend at Race City. We must continue to keep Calgary a vibrant destination and ensure we always have an automotive racing facility.

As I have used the facility in the past to further my love of my car and motorcycle, I understand first hand how much of a loss this place would be to the city. My only concern about keeping it open is the state of repair the management would be required to keep. If Race City management knows they will not be keeping the facility for a long period of time they will be less likely to invest money into its maintenance, therefore causing less people to use it, causing it to appear that a race track is not required in this city.

Thank you for your time,

Brendan

Idratherbsidewayz
01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
I got the following this morning.

Good morning Greg!

Thank you for taking the time to write and share you support for Race City.

Alderman Diane is also supportive of Race City and that the City of Calgary uphold their lease agreement with them.

Kindest regards,

Kelly

Ward 13 supports it, thats good...

scat19
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Sent an email to WARD 2, NW.

SigmaRacing
01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Email sent! Ward 13 as well.

reijo
01-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Sent mine to Ward 1 - Dale Hodges - got a phone call back from a lady who obviously read my email etc. Will call her tomorrow.

Reijo

89s1
01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
My email is sent.

Ward 5.

R-Audi
01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Email sent.. my response mentioned the 'In Camera' and not being able to discuss the matter.

nissanK
01-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Response from Ward 14:

Thank you for your recent email to Alderman Fox-Mellway regarding Race City Speedway. This item comes before Council on Monday, January 26, your comments have been given to the Alderman and duly noted for our records. At this time, It would be premature for the Alderman to comment, since she has not received for review the Report and its recommendations.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views with Alderman Fox-Mellway.

hmmmm. Sounds like she can be swayed

TheCheff
01-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Sent an e-mail to ward 11 Brian Pincott... waiting for reply.

Tik-Tok
01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I email'd my councilman when this first came up.

I agreed with shutting it down, but also placed emphasis on finding a new spot for a new city/province-supported track that would bring international business. Somewhere that the city wouldn't plan on annexing for more garbage.

SilverBoost
01-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Interesting article about the whole deal if you haven't read it.

http://www.secalgarynews.com/featured/why-wont-the-city-compromise-with-race-city/#more-1493

TheCheff
01-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Hello blank,

Thank you for your e-mail to Alderman Pincott's office. The Committee and Council discussions surrounding the lease agreement for Race City are happening 'in camera' and as such, I am not allowed to discuss the details of the reports on this topic until such time as the reports are made publically available.

I have reviewed your e-mail below with Brian and we will keep your comments on file for reference as this issue moves forward.

Kind regards

Idratherbsidewayz
01-23-2009, 07:27 AM
So anyone in Ward 11 send away, the rest of the aldermen look on board but this guy does not...

civic_stylez
01-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Linda, I am just writing to show support to keep Race City open. I know its not the most important thing on the agenda but the loss of Race City will cause a number of problems. As a small business here in Calgary devoted to performance cars and modification of these cars, we rely on the customers in the race community to come in and purchase products for their cars which they take to race at race city. If there is no track, there is no need for these people to invest in a sport where they cant participate. Kids cant play hockey if they dont have arena's and racers cant race if they dont have a track. Therefore, numerous performance related shops will suffer even more in this already slumping economy.
My next point is the obvious street racing aspect. As a former street racer myself, I can tell you how easy it is to use such streets as bow bottom and anderson road to race. We began using the track years ago and it is a much better and safer environment to go and have fun with friends as well as race in a controlled environment. I have seen the downside of street racing in terms of accidents, injures and the amount of police manpower that is needed to combat street racing. The track provides a place to educate younger drivers on safe driving techniques instead of trying it on our city roads with the genral public at risk. Please take this message into consideration as the track does more to benefit this city than most people realize.

EK 2.0
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

Hi Linda, I am just writing to show support to keep Race City open. I know its not the most important thing on the agenda but the loss of Race City will cause a number of problems. As a small business here in Calgary devoted to performance cars and modification of these cars, we rely on the customers in the race community to come in and purchase products for their cars which they take to race at race city. If there is no track, there is no need for these people to invest in a sport where they cant participate. Kids cant play hockey if they dont have arena's and racers cant race if they dont have a track. Therefore, numerous performance related shops will suffer even more in this already slumping economy.
My next point is the obvious street racing aspect. As a former street racer myself, I can tell you how easy it is to use such streets as bow bottom and anderson road to race. We began using the track years ago and it is a much better and safer environment to go and have fun with friends as well as race in a controlled environment. I have seen the downside of street racing in terms of accidents, injures and the amount of police manpower that is needed to combat street racing. The track provides a place to educate younger drivers on safe driving techniques instead of trying it on our city roads with the genral public at risk. Please take this message into consideration as the track does more to benefit this city than most people realize.

Wow James, I have never heard you this professional before...

civic_stylez
01-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Wow James, I have never heard you this professional before...

Ya i turnt on da TV and learn-ed sum new wordz off dem dere judge judy show.....

EK 2.0
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
THAT's the James I know...

Ca_Silvia13
01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
WArd 13 sent:

Hello,

I would like to voice my concerns regarding the potential closure of Race City Motorsport Park. I feel that the loss of such a safe environment for automotive enthusiasts to practice and enjoy our sport would be more destructive to our community then beneficial to the city. I have heard the city needs the land for the Sheppard Landfil expansion, however, without an adaquate equal or replacement facility it increases the risk and danger of people taking their motorsport passions to the public streets of Calgary.

Please i urge you keep Race City open until a suitable replacment facility is open. We cannot risk a potential loss of life over an immediate expansion for a landfil.

I realize proper infastructure for our growing city is a necessity, i'm not against that. Im am against shutting down the only safe environment for motorsports with no provisions for another venue.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns.

n1zm0
01-23-2009, 11:53 AM
^letter to an alderman spelling fail.. J/K :D

mailed ward 12, although i'm sure he'll just add me to a list of names because he's the one wanting to keep it open. Maybe we should forward our emails to all 14 aldermen instead of just our own.

PremiumRSX
01-23-2009, 11:55 AM
I contacted my Alderman as well!

Toms-SC
01-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Post up the replies once you get them

reiRei
01-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Mailed Ward 5

J@Tuner
01-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Thank you for your email. Alderman Connelly is currently in meetings for the day. In response, your email will be provided for his review and will remain part of our files as this issue moves forward for further discussion. Alderman Connelly is very aware of Race City and has attended many times however this is not a simple lease issue.
Thank you taking the time to write and share your concerns and suggestions. Should you wish to provide additional information or comment, please feel free to contact this office.

Ms. Bernie Gristwood, Executive Assistant to
Ward 6 Alderman Joe Connelly
The City of Calgary
PO Box 2100, Stn "M" (#8001A)
Calgary, AB T2P 2M5
403-268-2430

In the process of writing back.

J@Tuner
01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Well seems to be mixed reactions but I have definatly made my self noticed this morning :)

Hello Jay,
Thank you for your e-mail to Alderman Pincott's office. The Committee and Council discussions surrounding the lease agreement for Race City are happening 'in camera' and as such, I am not allowed to discuss the details of the reports on this topic until such time as the reports are made publically available.
I have reviewed your e-mail below with Brian and we will keep your comments on file for reference as this issue moves forward.
Kind regards,
Kirsty Neill
Constituent Assistant
Ward 11, Alderman Brian Pincott
The City of Calgary | Mail code: #8001A
T 403.268.2430 | E [email protected] | www.ward11calgary.ca

Hi Jay!

Thank you for taking the time to write and express your support for Race City.

Alderman Diane is also very supportive of Race City and feels that they are an asset to Calgary.

I hope this information is of some help.

Kindest regards,

Kelly

J@Tuner
01-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Thank you for taking the time to email your concern for Race City.
Alderman McIver requested Administration to look for a location that Race City could move to about a year ago and he has been speaking with the private sector as well. Oct. 2008 he brought a Notice of Motion to Council that Administration be directed to allow Race city to continue to renew their lease based on the original terms conditions and renewal options beginning with approval to renew to 2015 as Race City motorsports inc. has requested. All Race city matters before Council are now in camera, which means the discussion is closed to the public. Administration officials have also deemed that any matters related to Race city, including background studies and reports, are also in camera and cannot be discussed in public until released by council, I believe it is going to Council Jan. 26, 2009.
Kim Stark
Constituent Assistant for
Alderman McIver, Ward 12
The City of Calgary
ph: 268-1698

frozenrice
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Race City lease extension rejected. (http://www.calgaryherald.com/City+rejects+attempt+extend+Race+City+land+lease/1220274/story.html)

n1zm0
01-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Race City lease extension rejected. (http://www.calgaryherald.com/City+rejects+attempt+extend+Race+City+land+lease/1220274/story.html)

*sigh* the system really doesn't work (as we hope it to), so there has been negotiations/paperwork made to extend to 2015 and that's the final ending to this whole thing?

J@Tuner
01-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Fuck you city!

TACO.VIDAL
01-26-2009, 07:07 PM
heres more details

An attempt to extend the lease for city land used by Race City Motorsport Park was rejected by city council Monday.

Discussion about Ald. Ric McIver’s motion for an extension until at least 2015 happened behind closed doors, but the vote was public.

“I can tell you my notice of motion said extend the lease to 2015 and I’m not happy so you can draw your own conclusions,” McIver said of the recommendations that were voted down. “I’m hopeful that the operators of the track are able to negotiate something with city administration.”

The city has leased 64-hectares of land in the city’s southeast since 1985, but say that agreement expires in 2010. The city needs the land for storm water retention.

The owner of the speedway, which hosts everything from kart to motorcycle races, maintains he’s done the work to have the lease extended to 2015.

Rick Francescone, with the Calgary Motorsport Association, said his group would be exploring legal avenues to the speedway’s closure.

“As an association, which is separate from legal avenues the facility will have,” he said.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

89s1
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by J@Tuner
Fuck you city!

X100

:banghead: :banghead:

schocker
01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
back to the streets it is :thumbsdow

Idratherbsidewayz
01-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Bullshit...

Sorath
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
maybe something good out of this would happen. i hate how race city is always underprepped, the track is a piece of shit, i rather them tear it down and build a new one

frozenrice
01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
You are correct in that regard. The issue right now though is that the lease extension would have bought Race City some more time to find a new location and build a new track. It's not likely that'll happen by the time it closes down for good.

speedracer
01-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
Bullshit...

Better find out who the 7 that voted "no".

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,8421.msg37198.html#msg37198

Idratherbsidewayz
01-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by speedracer

Better find out who the 7 that voted "no".

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,8421.msg37198.html#msg37198

If someone finds out, post'em up.

Eleanor
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
:banghead:

And Dale Hodges, who was believed to be a supporter didn't show up :thumbsdow

nissanK
01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Once we find out how they voted, I can guarantee I will follow through on voting for someone else if I have to.:banghead:

Mr_ET
01-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Why did I know something like this would happen.

Probably some scare tactics behind the scenes before the vote to ensure the motion would not pass and the city would end up with the land as it had planned all along.

Who cares about street racing... I am sure that will be brought up again when its convenient for the city it will probably make them ticket everyone for no good reason...

This is bullshit. Looking forward to driving 6 hours to and back to race in a couple years:rolleyes:

Trini
01-27-2009, 10:59 AM
fuck!!!!
:banghead: :banghead:

reijo
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Here's a copy of what was posted at the Calgary Sports Car Club web site - copied from the SUN:

From Shawn Logan of the Calgary Sun:

According to my tally, the vote broke down like this:

For: Mar, Colley-Urquhart, Connelly, McIver, Stevenson, Jones, Chabot
Against: Farrell, Ceci, Fox-Mellway, Hawkesworth, Lowe, Pincott, Bronconnier
Hodges has a pretty bad leg infection so he wasn't there yesterday

Election is in 2010. Vote against the following:

Farrell, Ceci, Fox-Mellway, Hawkesworth, Lowe, Pincott, Bronconnier

Anyone want to run for these positions?

Reijo (And, yes, I'm serious about this)

toastgremlin
01-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Fox-Mellway is an astoundingly bad alderman. Nobody ran against her last time, she does nothing and has an enormous budget.

ercchry
01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Fox-Mellway is an astoundingly bad alderman. Nobody ran against her last time, she does nothing and has an enormous budget.

didn't she want to shut down half the bars on 17th at one point too?

civic_stylez
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM

shes my alder-ho and she didnt even write back... what a gimp.

LOLzilla
01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Welp. It had a good run I suppose.

Eleanor
01-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by reijo
Hodges has a pretty bad leg infection so he wasn't there yesterday
That sucks, but can he not vote in absentia?

How are Farrell & Fox-Mellway still in there? :banghead:

Stupid Farrell and her damn bridges.

spikerS
01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
wow, I sent in an email to Dale Hodges about this, and 5 mins later he called me. I was shocked, i was expecting a form letter in my email inbox.

we will see what happens.

403Gemini
01-27-2009, 04:26 PM

I'm going to run against her next time!

Rise up beyond! vote me in! ;)

LOLzilla
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by spikers
wow, I sent in an email to Dale Hodges about this, and 5 mins later he called me. I was shocked, i was expecting a form letter in my email inbox.

we will see what happens.

And how did the conversation go?

Mibz
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I'm going to run against her next time!

Rise up beyond! vote me in! ;) "Make Wayner the Winner"? I'd put that sign on my front lawn.

chkolny541
01-27-2009, 06:48 PM
hopefully things go well:thumbsup: racecity sucks, but its better than nothing

Redlyne_mr2
01-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Any updates on this?

dino_martini
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
fucking hate bronconnier...how did he get re-elected again? Atleast my alderman voted for this motion....

reiRei
01-27-2009, 08:50 PM
this is what I got from Ward 5:

Thank you for your e-mail. Alderman Jones voted in favor of extending the lease originally on this property , as he also acknowledges the need for a safe environment for Motorsports.

This land however had long been designated for the Ring Road and for landfill purposes. The City of Calgary is not is the business of finding locations for private enterprises, but is quite willing to look at any alternatives brought to them by Race City Speedway ownership that will fit the proper Land Use Designation.

Sandi Baisi Constituent Assistant to Alderman Ray Jones Ward 5

cloud7
01-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by reiRei

Thank you for your e-mail. Alderman Jones voted in favor of extending the lease originally on this property , as he also acknowledges the need for a safe environment for Motorsports.

This land however had long been designated for the Ring Road and for landfill purposes. The City of Calgary is not is the business of finding locations for private enterprises, but is quite willing to look at any alternatives brought to them by Race City Speedway ownership that will fit the proper Land Use Designation.

Sandi Baisi Constituent Assistant to Alderman Ray Jones Ward 5

So basically Ward 5 alderman is saying that the City is not open for business and all business should move out of the City?

ShermanEF9
01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
it was denied. Race citys gone as of 2010 :P

TorqueDog
01-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Alright guys, you know what this means.

Race Wars 2009 - The MacLeod Trail Stop-Light Grand Prix... BE THERE. :rofl:

ShermanEF9
01-28-2009, 12:08 AM
http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/2001/images/FastFurious1.jpg

But that might happen if we aren't careful!

Shlade
01-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Anybody watch the movie
2 fast 2 real?

I have a feeling calgary is going to have no other choice but to race on the streets. Watch the documentary and youll see what i mean:thumbsup:

Idratherbsidewayz
01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I for one will not be going to any organized street races. They're lame as fuck and racing to be spiteful to the city is retarded. The only reason I went to Race City was for the timeslips and to see where I'm at in my tuning.

Medicine Hat and Edmonton are 3 hours away and I guess we'll just have to make more of an excursion out of drag racing. Autox will still be available around Calgary and Lethbridge.

It makes me really sad that a big city with as many racing enthusiasts won't have a track come 2010. The city should definitely get their heads out of their ass, help find a new site, and help build a new/better track. It's the least they can do for the community they are fucking over right now. Maybe a change in office is necessary...

reijo
01-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah.....probably better to focus energies on solutions to the problem - no race track.

And, make sure you vote next election! I will remind you.

Genjuro
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by reiRei

that's exactly the response I got. I guess a lot of us mailed in that they had to create a canned response for us...

J@Tuner
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
As a fan of racing the decision around the lease of Race City’s current location found me stuck between a rock and a hard place.
On the one hand – there is very clearly a strong interest in racing and motorsports in Calgary; and Race City has played an important role in fostering these vibrant sports, and has been a great venue for enthusiasts. On the other hand, the City is facing significant pressure from the Province to re-dress it’s landfill specifications and environmental efficiency, as well as the growing need for new landfill space to address our booming population.
Extending the lease for Race City means that when the inevitable closure does come – it will be at additional cost, of approximately $3 million, to property tax payers. Yet, not extending the lease means potentially losing a valuable recreational facility in the City, if a new location cannot be found.
Ultimately, in light of the vociferous opposition from Ward 11 to the prospect of higher property taxes two months ago, coupled with the pressing demands on our existing landfills throughout the City, I supported the Administration recommendation not to renew the lease for Race City.
This was a most difficult decision to make.
Sincerely,
Brian
Brian Pincott
Ward 11
www.ward11calgary.ca

403Gemini
01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
"Make Wayner the Winner"? I'd put that sign on my front lawn.

Oh snap copyrighting that and giving you royalties my good sir!

ninefourfour
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Anybody have any ideas of what these guys are upto? I think this would be a great facility!

http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
"Make Wayner the Winner"? I'd put that sign on my front lawn.

I'll take 1 for my lawn, and a few posters too.

I'd vote for Wayne.

So.. maybe the hotels up in Deadmonton will give us some group rates if we make track weekends... Beyond track days?

HiTempguy1
01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Autox will still be available around .

Really? While I haven't gone auto-xing with CSCC lately (been rallying too much) I don't believe they have any other venue except for Race City...

cycosis
01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I for one would like to call bullshit on the city needing more room for their landfills. I was in it every friday over the summer dumping off landscape construction garbage and they have an immense amount of unused land already in the fenced area.

Mr_ET
01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
They dont... :(

frozenrice
01-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Pincott's reply smells of bs to me. I might be wrong, but wasn't he labelled as a quasi-enviromentalist or something? He lobbied against the extension of 37th Street SW across the Glenmore resovior because of the Weaselhead (before he became an alderman). I'm spouting this off the top of my head and could be wrong, but if I am correct, chances are he's probably got a hidden enviromental agenda behind his decision.
As far as badland's, it's a great concept, but why the hell in the middle of nowhere-Drumheller? Good luck if your car breaks down out there and you need parts (specifically imports) or a tow back to a major center.

TheCheff
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Brian Pincott did not heed my words when I e-mailed him. I'm gonna run against him next election!!!!!! haha no but seriously I'm voting against him next election for sure.:thumbsdow

Tram Common
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, the flip side is this might be the catalyst that gets Calgary a nice new track...

I mean having Race City or nothing, I'll take Race City...

...but man if that place isn't a dump.

Eleanor
01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
As far as badland's, it's a great concept, but why the hell in the middle of nowhere-Drumheller? Good luck if your car breaks down out there and you need parts (specifically imports) or a tow back to a major center.
I think they're trying to gear it towards more "professional" racing, with teams that have all their support with them already, so they don't need to drive their racecar home at the end of the day. They did it out in Drumheller because land is cheaper out there.

Tarrantula
01-29-2009, 11:31 AM
I hope their children get run down in street racing accidents.

There I said it. You were all thinking it.

VW337
01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
The city builds hockey rinks for hockey players, baseball diamonds for baseball players, soccer feilds for soccer players, golf courses for golfers etc. Our hobby is motorsports, where is our venue? Bronconnier (sp?) talks about keeping kids out of trouble, well if he would attend a friday night at race city then maybe he would see how many of the attendees are under 20yrs old. And if the city claims that the landfills are filling up then they should cover them over and pave a track on them!

/rant.

Artega
01-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Damnnnn

Badland's motorpark looks crazy good. They had me sold on the European style racetrack.

Their website doesn't should much, I wonder what their progress is....
badland's (http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/intro.php)

ercchry
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM

ama gold is the answer... calgary is only 97km away so the 200km towing limit you get is good. they also have storage on site so you can drive a daily driver out and have your track car left out there

HiTempguy1
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I think they're trying to gear it towards more "professional" racing, with teams that have all their support with them already, so they don't need to drive their racecar home at the end of the day. They did it out in Drumheller because land is cheaper out there.

I don't agree at all. Here is a good info thread on CSCC. It sounds like me it is specifically tailored however to people who live motorsports, and their life revolves around it. The perfect steady income a race track needs!:

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,8278.0.html

Edit-
There are also plenty of mentions of how amateur sports such as rally-x and auto-x would have sections specifically for them. So it is a very wide ranging endevour.

8Ball
01-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
I hope their children get run down in street racing accidents.

There I said it. You were all thinking it.

who voted for and against?

m10-power
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
LAS2009-01 RACE CITY MOTORSPORTS INC. LEASE

Moved by Alderman McIver, Seconded by Alderman Chabot,

1. That the Land and Asset Strategy Committee Recommendation 1 contained in Report LAS2009-01 be adopted; and

2. That the Report, Attachments and Recommendations remain confidential following the in camera discussion pursuant to Section 24(1) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act until completion of the lease negotiations.

MOTION LOST

RECORDED VOTE:

For: Aldermen Mar, Colley-Urquhart, Chabot, Connelly, McIver, Stevenson and Jones

Against: Aldermen Farrell, Ceci, Fox-Mellway, Hawkesworth, Lowe, Pincott and Mayor Bronconnier

MOTION LOST

Moved by Alderman Hawkesworth, Seconded by Alderman Farrell

1. That the Administration Recommendations contained in Report LAS2009-01 be adopted; and

2. That the Report, Attachments and Recommendations remain confidential following the in-camera discussion pursuant to Section 24(1) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act until completion of the lease negotiations.

General Manager,

Utilities and Environmental

Protection

ROLL CALL VOTE:

For: Aldermen Fox-Mellway, Hawkesworth, Lowe, Pincott, Ceci, Chabot, Farrell and

Mayor Bronconnier

Against: Aldermen Jones, Mar, McIver, Stevenson, Colley-Urquhart and Connelly

CARRIED

EXCUSE FOR ABSENCE

Moved by Alderman Jones, Seconded by Alderman Ceci, that Alderman Hodges be excused from today’s Meeting without reason by courtesy of Council.

CARRIED

Tik-Tok
01-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Ceci, you motherfawker... lost my vote for next time, I think I'll walk over to his office and tell them (it's only a few blocks from me)

m10-power
01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
WARD 1
%
* HODGES, DALE 12059 56
BANKS, JENNIFER 8579 40
PERRAULT, NORMAND 869 4

WARD 2
%
* LOWE, GORD 10269 61
MAGLIOCCA, BIAGIO 3979 24
AVRAMENKO, TERRY 2242 13
DEL RE, DANIEL M. 312 2

WARD 4
%
* HAWKESWORTH, BOB 10555 74
EVANS, RICHARD 2632 18
PETERSON, ALEX 1088 8

WARD 7
%
* FARRELL, DRUH 8998 69
ELDRIDGE, BARRY 2249 17
TERLESKI, MERLE 1280 10
AITHAL, JAG 532 4

WARD 9
%
* CECI, JOE 7213 57
KOENIG, AL 4962 39
WACIAK, STAN 572 4

WARD 11
%
PINCOTT, BRIAN 6037 34
WHELAN, EVONNE 4490 25
MURRAY, JAMES M. (JIM) 3353 19
MATTHEWS, DAVE 2241 13
ROCKWELL, JIM 1539 9

WARD 14
%
* FOX-MELLWAY, LINDA ACC/INC

^winner by running alone?

I don't live in the City so I can't vote. Make'm pay :whipped:

8Ball
02-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Ceci, you motherfawker... lost my vote for next time, I think I'll walk over to his office and tell them (it's only a few blocks from me)

no shit... this is his backyard!

Tram Common
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
This isn't just us car enthusiasts who are being affected...think of the karting clubs and the bike clubs as well.

speedracer
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Keeping the post alive:

The latest news with an interview with Art Mackenzie:

http://www.secalgarynews.com:80/featured/art-mackenzie-race-city-owner-explains-lease-dispute-with-city-hall/

DonJuan
03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
Keeping the post alive:

The latest news with an interview with Art Mackenzie:

http://www.secalgarynews.com:80/featured/art-mackenzie-race-city-owner-explains-lease-dispute-with-city-hall/

So Art is going to have to sue the city to extend the lease in order save the lives of Calgarians.

WOW. Thanks elected officials.

483hp
03-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Do you want to a point with the city? Perhaps start a group whose mission is to vote out all of these people in the next election.

Petitions won't work. Making it absolutely clear that they will lose their job and their power will get their attention.

2010 isn't that far away. Clean house!

8Ball
07-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 483hp
Do you want to a point with the city? Perhaps start a group whose mission is to vote out all of these people in the next election.

Petitions won't work. Making it absolutely clear that they will lose their job and their power will get their attention.

2010 isn't that far away. Clean house!

so true.

:werd: