PDA

View Full Version : how to fiberglass a sub enclosure....

88CRX
10-05-2003, 04:31 PM
i need some how to's on how to fiberglass a sub/speaker enclosure... or if anyone cares to help out :dunno: :D

any tips

Toms-Celica
10-05-2003, 04:45 PM
I'd also be interested in knowing

88CRX
10-05-2003, 05:00 PM
well i just found this one.... exactly what i was looking for :D

http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/

anymore would help tho

xDiMSuMx
10-05-2003, 05:05 PM
while ur at it.. how bout fiberglassing my crx too?

lol

88CRX
10-05-2003, 05:13 PM
hahaha no!

:D does anyone know how long something like that would take? a good day? 2 days?

davidI
10-05-2003, 05:15 PM
It really doesnt' take that long. Most of the time is waiting for a layer of glass to dry. This is only if you're not looking to have a smooth surface to paint afterwords...if that is the case then you'll have many hours with bondo and sanding!

It's not that hard, I've glassed a few things now and it definately gets easier the more projects you do. Good luck.

hjr
10-05-2003, 05:44 PM
make a mold, then pull some fabric overtop, then glass onto the fabric. but basically follow the directions on the site listed above. its very accurate.

CRXguy
10-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
hahaha no!

:D does anyone know how long something like that would take? a good day? 2 days?

yeah, make a mold and share the wealth! :D

Ebbsvette
10-05-2003, 09:06 PM
well im building a custom fiberglass dash right now and a bit of advice.....take your sweet time....ive been workin for 2 weeks on this dash cause with fiberglass u want it perfect. make ur mold of what u want. if u dont want it to stick use masking tape and make the mold. then just build layer after layer until u acheive a good strength. to make the subs look flush cut a 2 ring case out of wood and mount it to ur base mold, use dowel rods to hold the rings where u want. After that get a piece of material (like material shirts are made out of cause they stretch real easily) stretch the fabric over the rings and glue them to ur mold. make sure its real tight cause you dont want any sagging. paint some resin onto the material and let it dry. now u can use fiberglass to strengthen it and then when u get a nice all around thickness u get to sand. YAY take ur time. and remember, wear a mask or somthing when ur sanding, shit kills your lungs

yea...didnt look at that site first....that site is good. follow it.