PDA

View Full Version : New wheels, WRX265

Iqoair
01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Well, after debating between the Civic SI and the WRX265, I decided to pick up the WRX. Being 6'3", the SI just didn't have enough leg room. In the WRX, I actually had to move the seat forward! Not to mention the seats are a heck of a lot more comfy. I live out of town, so the highway ride home was very nice. The suspension is firm, but not too firm. Took it easy (First 1500, need to keep it under 4k rpm), although it did have plenty of jam under 4k rpm. Glad I spent the extra $4k and went with the WRX265.

Props to Alex & Robert @ Centaur Subaru for a very smooth sale.

Clicky for larger picture

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/iqoair/th_DSC_0012_edited-1.jpg (http://s390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/iqoair/?action=view&current=DSC_0012_edited-1.jpg)

redevil
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
nice choice, congrats on the new purchase! hope to see you at a Subaru meet in the near future.

SilverBoost
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Congrats. Beautiful car. Don't get too concerned about that under 4000 RPM thing. You don't want to race it or anything, but running it through the rev range isn't going to hurt. In fact a long highway drive at a constant RPM would be worse than giving it a few hits here and there.

Anyway, have a blast.

Transp0rt3r
01-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Congratulation .... great car and excellent choice :thumbsup:

"Debating between Civic and Subaru ?? " no way . I call it blasphemy even to mention these two cars in one sentence haha jk :D

HiTempguy1
01-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Just curious, why sedan?

GQBalla
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
cause its a WRX? ^^

nice ride man, screw breaking it in easy,

WOT all the way

Iqoair
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Just curious, why sedan?

Not sure why, but the hatch just never really appealed to me. If you meant the 4dr hatch.

Thanks for the comments.

redblack
01-20-2009, 10:33 PM
:thumbsup: good choice man.

max_boost
01-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Indeed a great choice. I have one in White, absolutely love it! Congrats!

HiSpec
01-21-2009, 12:00 AM
congrats on the purchase!!!

I hope you won't be one of the unfortunate owner with the bearing failure anytime in the future...

:burnout: :burnout:

heavyD
01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Good choice but you actually had to debate between the SI and WRX? The SI is so slow in this day and age of turbocharged 4-cylinder compacts it makes me wonder why Honda still sells it. The Fisher Price dashboard and minivan steering wheel doesn't look or feel sporty either.

BlackArcher101
01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Damn nice wheels you got there!

:burnout:

Now time to join the WSC at http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/

heavyD
01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
congrats on the purchase!!!

I hope you won't be one of the unfortunate owner with the bearing failure anytime in the future...

I've only heard of one failure in Canada so hopefully it's isolated to the US.

Aleks
01-21-2009, 11:10 AM
It's nice and warm out now. But once it snows and gets cold I wouldn't want to be on the tires that car comes with.

Seeing pics like this makes me miss my WRB WRX especially when it snows

Iqoair
01-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Good choice but you actually had to debate between the SI and WRX? The SI is so slow in this day and age of turbocharged 4-cylinder compacts it makes me wonder why Honda still sells it. The Fisher Price dashboard and minivan steering wheel doesn't look or feel sporty either.

I had to laugh at the Fisher Price comment!! Once I drove the WRX265 the debate was over.

4doorj
01-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I guess I'm alone in saying that I prefer a SI over WRX. I'm not biased either because I own both. The SI to me feels like it handles better, very responsive(I'm no experienced car professional, so this is just what I feel), the shifting is 10x better (wrx tranny is sloppy), and lastly I feel the quality in the build is better in the SI. I also prefer the dash(which everyone seems to hate).
But the WRX is really fast straight line, I love the torque. It's such a awesome car for winter.

You would love the SI as long as you understand you aren't the fastest car out there haha

But again this may just be me that thinks this.

Also congrats on the new car!
WRX=perfect canada car!

gpomp
01-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj

I guess I'm alone in saying that I prefer a SI over WRX. I'm not biased either because I own both. The SI to me feels like it handles better, very responsive(I'm no experienced car professional, so this is just what I feel), the shifting is 10x better (wrx tranny is sloppy), and lastly I feel the quality in the build is better in the SI. I also prefer the dash(which everyone seems to hate).
But the WRX is really fast straight line, I love the torque. It's such a awesome car for winter.

You would love the SI as long as you understand you aren't the fastest car out there haha

WRX=perfect canada car!

you're not alone... i've driven the 08 and 09 wrx and i don't think they handle as well as the si either. sure it's faster in a straight line but the si has enough power for 99% of my driving. mind you, people call me crazy cuz i like the si more than the s2k...

the thing i like about the wrx is the awd which would be helpful up here on the crappy roads in GP. also i still can't get over the fact that the wrx doesn't come with an armrest... that's unacceptable for a $35k car IMO.

you're right about the interior, the new wrx's materials feel the same as the previous gens (ie. cheap). the layout and design may be better, but the materials aren't as good as the honda.

max_boost
01-22-2009, 01:38 AM
I don't know why you guys love your Si's so much! Both of you!

WRX is wayyyyyyyyy better. AWD+Turbo! FTW! hhehe

rumeo
01-22-2009, 02:49 AM
subaru for the win
awd for the win

Aleks
01-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

also i still can't get over the fact that the wrx doesn't come with an armrest... that's unacceptable for a $35k car IMO.

http://auto.cooone.com/wp-content/gallery/2009-subaru-impreza-wrx-and-25gt/15_2009_subaru_impreza_wrx.jpg

that's an armrest, as crappy as it is it's still a place to rest your arm.

heavyD
01-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj

WRX=perfect canada car!

Yeah the 6-speed is one of the best you will find. I won't argue that but IMO the interior quality of the latest Civic is a big step back for Honda. Take the ugly dash out of the equation and you are left with a dashboard and door panels that look and feel like they came from Rubbermaid. I feel like I'm in a Hyundai when I'm in a new Civic and that's not acceptable for a Honda who built a reputation on quality. The WRX does have the hard plastics that most carmakers have now adopted but at least there is enough style (the Civic gets a negative for interior style IMO) there to overlook the economy car roots. Then there is the engine. In the early 90's I would have loved the 2.0L but now it feels slow and truth be told there just isn't enough open road in Calgary to open it up enough to get the VTEC benefits in normal driving. It just doesn't feel like you are getting enough to warrant a the near $30K price tag especially seeing that we can't get NAV in ours like Americans can. It's pretty ugly too (not that the WRX is a looker). The WRX265 cost more but I feel you are getting alot more performance for the money and AWD >>> FWD even if the Civic handles slightly sharper.

HiTempguy1
01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Iqoair

Not sure why, but the hatch just never really appealed to me. If you meant the 4dr hatch.

Thanks for the comments.

Right on dude, really I was just curious if you had big reasons. Its all about the looks! ;)

calgary350z
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I drove both with my wife since her civic's lease is up in April and I agree with HeavyD. There was no comparison in terms of perceived value and performance. Way more room and the intertior wasnt that much better in the civic if you ask me.

That car suprised me and put a big smile on my face after driving it where I just felt the Civic was boring and not enough around town power. I also drove the STI and felt the diffrence in price wasnt justified for an average guy such as my self(no track) and I might pick up a WRX265 even though I wasnt even considering one in the first place.

I do feel bad though as my friend sells for Honda and I had too tell him that I felt they werent even close to being compariable for the small price difference

Aleks
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
While I'd probably go for WRX over the Si again like I did a few years ago, the Si is ~ $7K cheaper so to someone who is on a tight budget that might matter.

If you truly want cheap speed Cobalt SS and CSRT4 are hard to beat.

ExtremeSi
01-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice choice! Looks really good. I never liked the 4-door hatch either.
Blue on gold :thumbsup:

4doorj
01-22-2009, 03:39 PM

It just doesn't feel like you are getting enough to warrant a the near $30K price tag especially seeing that we can't get NAV in ours like Americans can.
I agree the price tag is too much for what the car is.