PDA

View Full Version : How many eggs is too many?

zipdoa
01-22-2009, 09:49 AM
So i'm sitting here at work enjoying my 6 eggs. It's not uncommon for me to eat about a dozen every 4 days... is this an unhealthy way to get a my protein?

4bier
01-22-2009, 10:09 AM
egg whites are great yolks are the heart stoppers

n1zm0
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
my boss (heavy into health/bodybuilding) here at work will eat 6-8 egg whites every wednesdayish, throws out the yolks always

sputnik
01-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 4bier

MYTH

http://bareboxersjournal.blogspot.com/2008/04/are-egg-yolks-bad-for-you.html

Egg yolks have the most important nutrients. Without the yolk you might as well not even eat eggs at all.

Toma
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 4bier
bullshit

Toma
01-22-2009, 10:36 AM
My theory has always been... don't fuck with nature.

A baby chick throughout its development uses the YOKE as food. The white is purely for protection against shock, and a place to put the waste.

Don't eat the yoke.... fuck, that is funny.

If I remember to buy them, i eat about 6 eggs a day.

timdog
01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
egg yolks are what are high in cholesterol, so people assume you should avoid them. turns out there is good cholesterol and bad cholesterol, and yolks are packed full of good cholesterol. people who think the yolks are bad for you are just believing an old myth

timdog
01-22-2009, 10:46 AM
with that said, too much of anything is probably a bad thing. tuna is awesome for you, but if you had 3 cans a day you'd probably get mercury poisoning or something. i am no expert but personally i wouldn't support someone eating 8 eggs a day, unless it was only for a short period of time during some sort of intense training or something.

beyondpinoy
01-22-2009, 10:57 AM
i eat about 2-4 a day... i always thought it was bad to eat more then that a day... now i know better :D :D :D :D

hassanc21
01-22-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.alive.com/1263a4a2.php?subject_bread_cramb=816
Check out this link for the nutritious value of eggs.
Eat away, just don't be the guy who microwaves eggs in the office kitchen.

n1zm0
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
this website is pretty cool (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/117/2) enter any type of food, enter serving size, i dont know how accurate the sources are tho.

szw
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy
i eat about 2-4 a day... i always thought it was bad to eat more then that a day... now i know better :D :D :D :D

I also believed eggs were "bad" because thats just what I learned a long time ago. Good to know though, I love eggs and did consciously cut back on them at times.

1997GSR
01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
hard boiled eggs ftmfw

Kritafo
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
hard boiled eggs ftmfw

Yup I am with you on that. I make a dozen at a time on Sunday nights, my kids eat them for snacks, breakfast, on their way to martial arts. They are just a great on the go food.

ZorroAMG
01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Hard boiled taste good but SMELL like farts.

Glad to hear that the YOLK (toma ;) ) thing is just a myth! Now I can stop straining the eggs hahaha. When I eat eggs I usually put 3 or 4 and only 1 or 2 yolks but man the flavour is so much better with all the yolks.

It's a great day for eggs!!

:rofl:

GQBalla
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
eggs are amazing,

hardboiled is the way to go though with salt and pepper

sputnik
01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I have always enjoyed a hard boiled egg with a bit of Miracle Whip.

GQBalla
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
has anybody tried hardboiled egg with soya sauce?

i use to do that when i was a kid

szw
01-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Soft boiled is where its at.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/boo_licious/misc4/SoftBoiledEggs.jpg

GQBalla
01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
i like to make sunny side up eggs with the yolk still runny over rice.

than crack the yolk open with soya sauce.

JRSC00LUDE
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Just one fertilized egg is too many if you ask me.

szw
01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
i like to make sunny side up eggs with the yolk still runny over rice.

than crack the yolk open with soya sauce.
don't forget the spam

Thomas Gabriel
01-22-2009, 01:03 PM
One of the best foods IMO. Don't worry about the cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol aren't necessarily correlated. Omega 3 eggs definitely have a better fat profile if you are worried though.

zipdoa
01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Do all eggs have omega-3's? or is it something that is added after...

Dumbass17
01-22-2009, 01:18 PM
i eat eggs for breakfast probably 5 days a week
usually 2 eggs, fried or sunny side up, toss a piece of bologna/salami or whatever on a toasted wholewheat english muffin, toss an egg on each half....good to go!

can also wrap it up in tin foil and take to work

Thomas Gabriel
01-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Do all eggs have omega-3's? or is it something that is added after...

It all depends on the chicken's diet. Normal eggs don't have much omega 3. It's probably cheaper just to buy regular and then supplement though.

zipdoa
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
well this is fantastic information... Now I don't feel bad about not splitting out the yoke! Gonna PM darkane about the best omega-3 supplements...

Redlined_8000
01-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I eat 4 eggs a day MINIMUM... My mom got worried about my cholesterol, so i had some blood tests done.... I was in the normal range. Funny a couple of years ago when i didnt really eat eggs, i had high cholesterol.

EDIT:

BTW eating eggs raw is fine too. believe it or not it makes a really tasty protein shake. Here is one of my fave recipes -

8-12 oz OJ
1-2 scoops of your favorite Whey protein.
3 eggs raw

blend that up and enjoy. When i got my wisdom teeth out i went through about 10-12 raw eggs a day.

ZorroAMG
01-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, raw eggs CAN be fine, but why risk salmonella when you can use protein shakes that don't make you barf?

zipdoa
01-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Yeah, raw eggs CAN be fine, but why risk salmonella when you can use protein shakes that don't make you barf?

Cause the risk is very very minute, and you lose some protein when you cook the eggs. It's just a matter of convenience.

Trini
01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
mmmm love eggs...easy over and hard boiled are great

sputnik
01-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
you lose some protein when you cook the eggs

More BS

The belief is that cooking an egg changes the proteins in it, "damaging" them so that the bodybuilder (who is usually fixated on protein) won't get the full benefit of egg protein.

It's bunk, really. The "proteins" that we eat aren't taken into the body as complete proteins. They are broken down into amino acids which the body then builds up into the proteins it needs. But science never got in the way of a good rumor, and some people want as much protein as they can eat, often, which is usually too much. Our basic need for protein is 10% of our calories. Anything more than that doesn't build muscle, it becomes fat. As it does with too much sugar, the body will turn it into triglycerides and store it for later. Some people, however, generally believe in "if a little is good, more is better," and so they look for ways to get much more protein, including raw eggs, because raw must be better, since it's in the natural state and hasn't been altered by cooking. There's no evidence for that, but people are human, and thus are a superstitious lot who will believe what bodybuilders say, even if it's wrong. It's a common human condition.

arian_ma
01-22-2009, 05:11 PM
I know this is not related but I just didn't want to start another thread:

How much honey is too much? I probably consume about 250g of it every week, though I am holding back a lot.

sputnik
01-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I know this is not related but I just didn't want to start another thread:

How much honey is too much? I probably consume about 250g of it every week, though I am holding back a lot.

Honey is certainly better than sugar as it has B vitamins and is easier for your body to process compared to sugars refined from corn or other sources.

However it is still a sweetener and has a fairly high caloric value.

250g of honey is close to 1000 calories.

kutt3r
01-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

More BS

The belief is that cooking an egg changes the proteins in it, "damaging" them so that the bodybuilder (who is usually fixated on protein) won't get the full benefit of egg protein.

It's bunk, really. The "proteins" that we eat aren't taken into the body as complete proteins. They are broken down into amino acids which the body then builds up into the proteins it needs. But science never got in the way of a good rumor, and some people want as much protein as they can eat, often, which is usually too much. Our basic need for protein is 10% of our calories. Anything more than that doesn't build muscle, it becomes fat. As it does with too much sugar, the body will turn it into triglycerides and store it for later. Some people, however, generally believe in "if a little is good, more is better," and so they look for ways to get much more protein, including raw eggs, because raw must be better, since it's in the natural state and hasn't been altered by cooking. There's no evidence for that, but people are human, and thus are a superstitious lot who will believe what bodybuilders say, even if it's wrong. It's a common human condition.

LOL... 10% I think that is a little far fetched... its not protiens that make people fat, its over eating. Sorry but I have not read one article that says 10% is sufficient for anyone let alone someone who is actively breaking down muscle tissue and requires the amminos to rebuild. Currently protien makes up 1/3 of my diet and I am not getting fat... weird huh? Oh and protien does not build muscle, it helps rebuild it...

I will add this too just for fun:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/359/3/229

BumbleBeeCivic
01-23-2009, 11:30 PM
If this is important to you, then don't blindly take anyone's advice on this matter.

in Alberta, it doesn't cost anything to have your cholesterol and triglyceride levels tested. Just go to your doctor, he'll write up the form that you take to the lab.

Then you will have some real results to base your decisions on.

Kennyredline
01-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Don't forget, for every 3 egg whites you eat, you'll need to eat one yolk, so your body will absorb the protein from the egg white.

arian_ma
01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Guys, I read a lot of random and useless facts about eating habits, and I don't know what to believe anymore. Here's a whole thread saying eat the yolk, and in another thread someone posted a general getting into shape website; namely: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt88.htm
In that website it says that for breakfast one should eat 5 egg whites...and I've read that in many other places too. Wtf?

yue
01-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Guys, I read a lot of random and useless facts about eating habits, and I don't know what to believe anymore. Here's a whole thread saying eat the yolk, and in another thread someone posted a general getting into shape website; namely: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt88.htm
In that website it says that for breakfast one should eat 5 egg whites...and I've read that in many other places too. Wtf?
go read clinical nutrition & biology textbooks. they're not expensive and actually give you information, not interpretation.

95teetee
01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm glad to hear egg yolks aren't bad for you (when I fry them, that's the only part I eat).

now, if someone says the half-pound or so of bacon I have with them is good for me too, they'll be my hero:rofl:

kutt3r
01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee
I'm glad to hear egg yolks aren't bad for you (when I fry them, that's the only part I eat).

now, if someone says the half-pound or so of bacon I have with them is good for me too, they'll be my hero:rofl:

Atkins???
:nut:

Darkane
01-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Eggs are dope.

6 a day. Up to 9 and even 12(rarely) when bulking.

Toma
01-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Yup I am with you on that. I make a dozen at a time on Sunday nights, my kids eat them for snacks, breakfast, on their way to martial arts. They are just a great on the go food.

Ever seen the hard boiled egg cooker?

Greatest thing since the toaster. I got mine from I think Home Outfitters.

It looks like a big stainless steel egg. You plop 7 eggs on the tray, add a tiny bit of water, turn it on. It beeps when they are done. About 10-12 minutes, heater shuts off

I hated boiling eggs lol. This makes it so easy. The only thing I dont like about this model is that it beeps forever...even if you put the eggs in and leave home lol...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PKD0C8KRL._SS500_.jpg

frozenrice
01-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Hard boiled taste good but SMELL like farts.

You mean "makes you fart" ?

Originally posted by Toma

I hated boiling eggs lol. This makes it so easy.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PKD0C8KRL._SS500_.jpg
Was boiling eggs that hard before?

Toma
01-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Was boiling eggs that hard before?
Can you plop 7 eggs on the stove and leave the house?

Can you plop 7 eggs on the stove and go workout without overcooking them/thinking about them?

Can you boil eggs on the stove using 1/50th the water?

Best $40 ever spent for an egg lover ;)

frozenrice
01-31-2009, 06:35 PM

Can you plop 7 eggs on the stove and leave the house?

Can you plop 7 eggs on the stove and go workout without overcooking them/thinking about them?

Can you boil eggs on the stove using 1/50th the water?

Best $40 ever spent for an egg lover ;)

hmmmm. I fill the pot with water, put the eggs in (quantity varies by size of pot), go take a dump and when I come out they're done. 10-15 minutes tops.

Good point about the water though.
:D

Toma
01-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

hmmmm. I fill the pot with water, put the eggs in (quantity varies by size of pot), go take a dump and when I come out they're done. 10-15 minutes tops.

Good point about the water though.
:D
10-15 minute dump!!! Holy crap!

A790
02-01-2009, 11:00 AM

10-15 minute dump!!! Holy crap!
that's pretty standard dumping time :)

Toma
02-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by A790

that's pretty standard dumping time :)
Fawk... you guys are slow.... 5 minutes max lol

Toma
02-01-2009, 01:14 PM

There... went potty, brushed my teeth, picked out 3 ingrwons from my chin lol

9 minutes.

frozenrice
02-01-2009, 02:04 PM

Don't forget - takes time to wipe.

A790
02-01-2009, 02:09 PM

No way.

Sit down, stretch, grab magazine, begin reading article about new Porsche GT3. Pause reading for a second to focus on squeezing. Resume reading. Lather, rinse, and repeat as necessary ;)

Oz-
02-01-2009, 02:33 PM
EDITED in
cCB2B1YAIt8

yir4pcrdfCc

Edit - As per frozenrice suggestion :thumbsup:

frozenrice
02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
^^^This video should have gone first. :D

cCB2B1YAIt8

Toma
02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
You guys are funny... if you gotta sit there for 15 minutes, you aint ready to crap.

Get up, do your 10-15 minutes of morning stuff... stretch, sit ups...whatever, then hit the shitter. :burnout:

Hakkola
02-01-2009, 05:38 PM
You guys are funny... if you gotta sit there for 15 minutes, you aint ready to crap.

Get up, do your 10-15 minutes of morning stuff... stretch, sit ups...whatever, then hit the shitter. :burnout:

Hah, sometimes wiping takes hella long, average for me is around 10 minutes though to do my business. I had the record at my barracks though, from the room to the can and back including washing hands and everything, 2 minutes.

Speaking of which, if I eat eggs before I go to bed my stomach hates me in the morning. :thumbsdow

zipdoa
02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure if you're squeezing out your shits you're gonna get hemroids.