PDA

View Full Version : Parking rates jump at city lots - Street Spots $5/hr, $6.5 at Parkades.

leec001
01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Street spots hit $5 an hour; $6.50 at parkades

By Joel Kom, Calgary HeraldJanuary 22, 2009 7:01 AM

The most expensive parking in the nation just got more costly. Parking on downtown streets and in public lots will take more cash this year after the Calgary Parking Authority recently hiked its rates, a move its general manager said was a response to private lots also raising fees.

Parking on downtown streets now costs a maximum of $5 an hour, a 25 per cent increase from the $4 hourly fee last year.

Hourly spots in the priciest downtown city parkades now run $6.50 an hour, up from$6an hour. And monthly parking in the most expensive downtown public parkade, James Short at 1st Street and 4th Avenue S. W., now eats up $465 instead of $430.

"It's crazy.People won't be able to work downtown. They can't afford it," said Barb Cook, who parked in the Fairmont Palliser lot Tuesday to visit Art Central.

"With the economic situation in the country, it's an interesting time to be doing an increase," said Maggie Schofield, executive director of the Calgary Downtown Association.

While businesses have benefited from a new ParkPlus system that has translated into more spaces, she added, the higher price will start to drive people away.

Dale Fraser, the authority's general manager, defended the increase, saying rates hadn't been raised since 2007.

"It was evident to us that there was a growing differential between our rates and that of the market," he said. "(Street parking) is the most preferred parking of the various types that are available in downtown Calgary. It should be priced at the highest (level) to encourage turnover."

Fraser said an authority survey of 27 private lots found the average hourly rate was $7.20, 44 per cent higher than the new street parking rate. He knows of one private lot that charges $12.60 an hour.

The parking authority isn't taxpayer-supported, he added, and needs to raise its own cash to buy land and build new lots, including a new parkade in the East Village that's slated to add 450 spaces by 2011 at a cost of around $45 million.

The authority had a surplus of around $22 million last year, $13.5 million of which was given back to the city for transportation projects. The rest was kept for future parking projects.

Charging a considerable price for short-term downtown parking also fits in with city council's efforts to nudge people out of their cars and onto buses and C-Trains or into carpooling, Fraser said.

Ald. John Mar agreed, saying he has yet to receive complaints from drivers about the increase in fees.

"If you do choose to drive, the Calgary Parking Authority is still cheaper than most of the private lots," said Mar, whose ward includes part of downtown. "But any time you have a fee adjustment, you create controversy."

Ald. Druh Farrell said the authority's 15,000 lots only make up around 17 per cent of the market.

"They respond to what the private lots are charging," Farrell said. "We don't set that market."

The latest hikes boost the cost of what was already the most expensive parking in Canada and one of the most expensive in North America.

A survey of public and private lots last year by Colliers International found Calgary's median monthly parking rate was $428, nearly 50 per cent higher than second-place Montreal and Toronto. And when it came to North America, only New York City and Boston charged more for the space between two painted lines.

What's more, Calgary's median rate was the 16th highest on the planet of 138 international cities surveyed.

Those parking downtown Wednesday were less than thrilled with the hike.

"You can park free at Chinook, you can park free at Southcentre, why would you come downtown?" said Genevieve Janssen.

"I don't pay half the time any-ways because it's way too damn expensive here," said Mike, who didn't want his last name used, but said the fines he pays add up to less than paying the fee. "Now it's even more economical not to pay."

"Five bucks an hour's pretty high. It may be, like, $2.50 at home," said Bill Dilday, who was on vacation from Washington, D. C.

But, he added, it's also rare to find open spaces in downtown D. C., and it didn't take long for him to find a space on Centre Street at Stephen Avenue.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

sputnik
01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Good job on the cut+paste.

So how do you feel about this?

leec001
01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Good job on the cut+paste.

So how do you feel about this?

No comment. I rarely use the on street spots or parkades.

rage2
01-22-2009, 11:25 AM
More space for me at lunch!

I love the new park plus system. I don't even have change in my car anymore. One phone call, and I'm good to go. Worth any extra money I have to pay for the convienence.

gqmw
01-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I think the park plus system is great, especially for people with a parking account. You can pay by cell phone and then cancel the transaction when you leave the parking space. That way you only get charged for the time you actually use.

It seems like there are more spots available as well since the number of parking meters aren't limited.

swak
01-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I really don't see anything wrong with this.

Sure, $5/hr sucks...
But its only $1 more than last year.
Is $1/hr. more really gonna break the bank?

98type_r
01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Park plus is a good system convenience wise. I wonder if the city offers any sort of leigh way if somebody punches in a wrong zone # or their license plate in wrong...
As far as rates being increased, I think what we were paying already was already ridiculous.

G-ZUS
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Mother fuckers, I hate how they even got rid of the free 2 hour parking zones

cloud7
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I was just at Chinatown yesterday pm and had no trouble finding a space 30m from the shop that I was going to, which was good for my short 1-hour stay in Chinatown. Park+ system has been amazing. Like rage said, I love not having to carry change too.

$1 per hour (25%) increase does seem a bit much in today's environment. The CPA defended it by saying it is the first increase since 2007, but it hardly justifies it. It is too bad that they didn't increase it in 2008... they should have and they didn't and it is a completely different economic environment now. It is along the lines of City Council getting a 5% raise that was justified by a report done before the economy went bad.

They also used the examples of some private lots charging up to $12.60 per hour for a space. The reason these lots are charging over $10 for a space is that they want to discourage short-stay parking. You are not gonna park there for just 1 hour for $10 if it only takes $25 to park the whole day. CPA's comparison is therefore flawed.

I wonder if the increased rate would actually deter people from going downtown. I would say it will deter some, but most people would just live with the increase.

benyl
01-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by cloud7

I wonder if the increased rate would actually deter people from going downtown. I would say it will deter some, but most people would just live with the increase.

I am betting that there will be more people taking the train and bus.

ZorroAMG
01-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I love that system. We have the meter by phone here in Van....I love it too....no change, just a speed dial. It even texts me when I'm running out of time and I can "plug" my meter sitting in the restaurant or whatever, as long as I am not over the stay limit. Calgary IS effing expensive but your meters stop at 6. Ours go til 8 here and are 7 days a week.

yoda124
01-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Whenever I need to go downtown I know a few hidden spots I can get away without paying.I don't mind walking the extra 10 minutes to get to where I'm going.:rofl:

szw
01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Calgary IS effing expensive but your meters stop at 6. Ours go til 8 here and are 7 days a week.

Is it still free on Sundays too? That's something you really take for granted in Calgary. Here in TO they go till 9 and 7 days a week too. I asked someone if parking was free on stat holidays like in Calgary and I got laughed at.

98type_r
01-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by yoda124
Whenever I need to go downtown I know a few hidden spots I can get away without paying.I don't mind walking the extra 10 minutes to get to where I'm going.:rofl:

I used to have a few of those, but then the park plus system devoured them all.

GQBalla
01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by szw

Is it still free on Sundays too? That's something you really take for granted in Calgary. Here in TO they go till 9 and 7 days a week too. I asked someone if parking was free on stat holidays like in Calgary and I got laughed at.

free on sundays for sure,

most parkades have discounted rates of $4 or less during the weekends and evenings

imo this pay hike is to just make money, and people will continue paying for it.

the convience of driving DT is awesome, just sucks when you leave at like 5-6 pm ahah

Super_Geo
01-22-2009, 12:47 PM
I just park at Impark and I never pay.

This started as a little experiment to see if it'd be cheaper to pay every time, or just when you get caught without a ticket. I've been doing this for 8 months now, and not 1 ticket in the 20+ times I've used Impark.

Although... I usually park DT after 5PM on the weekdays, and I'm betting they probably only check during business hours...

Cooked Rice
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Man I miss the old style/cost of parking. Where there was a meter for each parking stall. And you could put in a few nickels and dimes and you'd get a couple hours worth of parking time.

zipdoa
01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Park plus is doing a REALLY good job of giving tickets if you don't pay for parking.

7thgenvic
01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
just another reason to take a bike or bus :)

Euro838
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I just park at Impark and I never pay.

This started as a little experiment to see if it'd be cheaper to pay every time, or just when you get caught without a ticket. I've been doing this for 8 months now, and not 1 ticket in the 20+ times I've used Impark.

Although... I usually park DT after 5PM on the weekdays, and I'm betting they probably only check during business hours...

A lot of people do this too during the day.

I think the city could probably raise street parking to like $7-8 an hour and people would still pay. A lot of the private lots are like $12 an hour. The alternative is to park by the mustard seed or take transit, even those would cost you at least $5 per hour plus the added inconvenience.

Either way, downtown is expensive period. If you want to spend less, then stay out of downtown.

benyl
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Man I miss the old style/cost of parking. Where there was a meter for each parking stall. And you could put in a few nickels and dimes and you'd get a couple hours worth of parking time.

This type of parking meter was awesome:

http://blog.case.edu/james.chang/2007/10/17/parkingmeter.jpg

If you put the knob at the 6pm position and then smacked it with your knuckle, the momentum would give you way more time!

This type was even better!
http://www.emagazine.com/images/upload/pasadena_meter.jpg

You could park all day for 25 cents.

That died when they updated them all to this:
http://www.livablestreets.com/streetswiki/parking-policy/parking-meter.jpg

szw
01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
What was the trick for the second machine?

kenny
01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
On the top meter my dad mastered the penny trick. He would pay for parking with about 5 - 6 pennies.

riceboi
01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
I think the park plus system is great, especially for people with a parking account. You can pay by cell phone and then cancel the transaction when you leave the parking space. That way you only get charged for the time you actually use.

So true. The park+ system is great, I don't have to wash my car ever again. They can drive around and take as many pictures as they want. Even myself having trouble reading my own license plate