PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help...starting workout

LadyLuck
01-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I have been reading through the health and fitness section for quite some time.

Ive been curious about everyone's diet as well as peoples work out routine.

I cant remember the last time I actually worked out. Back in Germany (10 years ago) I used to swim all the time, play soccer religiously and I was generally an active person...that all slowed down over the years.

I picked up smoking a few years ago :banghead: but have cut down drastically and I haven't touched one in about 3 days so I think I'm on the right path of quitting.

I've started eating healthier, but the one thing I've noticed is that I don't eat as much as I should. My metabolism is through the roof, my entire family is slim, I'm about 5'10 and weigh 120lbs. Id like to put on more weight (the good kind) but its nearly impossible for me. Mind you, I haven't tried working out yet.

I work 2 jobs, but my part time job is only 1-2 days a week in the evenings when we have bands coming in. But even then, i eat maybe 2 medium sized meals a day because I'm always on the go, and having 4-5 hours of sleep at night can't be good for me either.

My question is...for newbie like me...whats a good way to start out when hitting the gym. I wanna stick to a good work out routine, I get a free membership from work so I have access to a decent gym. I just have no idea how to start out.

I don't wanna kill myself on my first work out and over-due it.

Another question would be about my diet, I would like to pack on some good weight, what should I be focusing on eating and what should I really stay away from.

Sorry if its a long read, any helpful input would be greatly appreciated :)

ragu
01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt88.htm

^^This page pretty much sums everything up but obviously you should also look over different work out routines which could be helpful. Found here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=972440

For your weight you would need at least 160g of protein daily.

urban.one
01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Get yourself a personal trainer. Even for only 3 or 4 sessions.
The trainer will design a program for you and use your first session to get started. Then you can use the other sessions for followups in a number of weeks or months.

Theres lots of good info on the net but sometimes you need someone to work with you especially if youve never trained or have been away from the gym for a while.

If money isnt a problem (ie. a generous corporate wellness plan, then hire a trainer for regular sessions.)

Kennyredline
01-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Get yourself a personal trainer. Even for only 3 or 4 sessions.
The trainer will design a program for you and use your first session to get started. Then you can use the other sessions for followups in a number of weeks or months.

Theres lots of good info on the net but sometimes you need someone to work with you especially if youve never trained or have been away from the gym for a while.

If money isnt a problem (ie. a generous corporate wellness plan, then hire a trainer for regular sessions.)

X2...got around someone who knows what they're talking about.

civicrider
01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I was in your exact spot about three months ago 5 10 and 125lbs and i have tried to put on weight. Three months later i am already up to 155 and still rolling. What i changed was my crap diet, I ate a lot but a lot of crap which i thought was good. The only supplement i use is quickmass once a day 1200 calories with 56 grams of protien, working out 4 days a week.

Before diet

bowl of junk cereal for breakfast maybe an energy drink

lunch deli sandwhich maybe some crackers and yogurt

dinner the usual chicked steak or whatever jsut a normal dinner

Now

Breakfast

bowl of oat meal
cottage cheese
big glass of milk

snack

cup of mixed nuts
cup of yogurt

lunch

tuna sandwhich
glass of milk
cup of yogurt
almond bar
boost drink

pre workout
quickmass

Dinner

pretty much the same but maybe twice as much

Then before bed another snack similar to the one earlier

I found that the biggest thing was when i was hungry before i ate a chocolate bar or something like that and held myself over until a main meal instead of packing back something healthy. A good idea is to count your good calories and see how much you are eating, don't count any junk you have during the day and id be surprised if you were over 2000 of good calories. I shoot for 3500 calories a day and as a result i have gained around 30lbs in three months.

With your diet of only two meals a day and even if you worked out 3-4 times a week i doubt you would see any gains, diet is most important, when i ate like that and worked out for about 8 months I gained 2 pounds so I gave up.

LadyLuck
01-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Thats alot of helpful info guys! Thanks alot!

Civicrider: What do your workouts consist of if you dont mind me asking...

That looks like a pretty solid diet, I will have to give it a try!