10-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Just saw on CNN...passed away tonight

Looks like Dany's goin to jail...cant say i'm too sorry

sxtasy
10-05-2003, 09:46 PM
brutal, very sad and tragic

5.9 R/T
10-05-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Snyder, RIP, but I do also feel sorry for the Heatley's, and Dany himself. They are very nice people, and it's a shame that Dany got himself mixed up in this mess. My condolences to both families.

davidI
10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Personally, I think it's stupid for him to go to jail. As if having his good friend killed, injuring himself and ruining a 1/4 million dollar car isn't enough...he was only going 130 km/hr too....now if he was drunk, which from what I have heard hasn't been ruled out yet then I might have a change of heart.

roopi
10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
I can't believe this. So it's going to be vehicular (sp?) manslaugher now?

DUBBED
10-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Personally, I think it's stupid for him to go to jail. As if having his good friend killed, injuring himself and ruining a 1/4 million dollar car isn't enough...he was only going 130 km/hr too....now if he was drunk, which from what I have heard hasn't been ruled out yet then I might have a change of heart.

130km/h is illegal regardless nevermind in like a 50 zone or whatever it was... obviously he was driving the car in a un safe manner otherwise this whole thing would have been avoided... i think he should go to jail..... driving the piss out of your car is illegal and should you kill someone doing so you should be punished to the full extent of the law... this is why we have road rules... i feel sorry for the family of the passenger RIP, and the passenger himself... personally... i would extend my fist to the temple of anyone who even dared put my life in danger like that...

edit: i admit i have broken laws before... the only difference though is that the only life ive ever put in danger is mine

NickGT
10-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I'm sorry to hear about Snyder, RIP, but I do also feel sorry for the Heatley's, and Dany himself. They are very nice people, and it's a shame that Dany got himself mixed up in this mess. My condolences to both families.

Agreed, I couldn't even begin to imagine how he must feel. One minute everything is fine, your on top of the world. Blasting around in your new car. Living a life most people only dream about. Now it all comes crashing down. And at such a young age. Such an unfortunate accident for the kid...

lammer
10-05-2003, 10:47 PM
RIP Snyder.

88CRX
10-05-2003, 10:54 PM
make me sick to the stomach....

... hes so young. had so much going for him.

Redlyne_mr2
10-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Hockey and a quick buck isnt everything...he learnt the hard way..just another ricer behind the wheel of a $250K sports car

Isonex
10-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Hockey and a quick buck isnt everything...he learnt the hard way..just another ricer behind the wheel of a $250K sports car :werd:

James
10-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by FoxLX

Agreed, I couldn't even begin to imagine how he must feel. One minute everything is fine, your on top of the world. Blasting around in your new car. Living a life most people only dream about. Now it all comes crashing down. And at such a young age. Such an unfortunate accident for the kid...

:werd:...so tragic.....before this he was such a model image hockey player, nothing but a good guy. one of the best players in the future of the league...and then one mistake ruins everything :(....so sad it had to take a life as well.

Davetronz
10-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Hockey and a quick buck isnt everything...he learnt the hard way..just another ricer behind the wheel of a $250K sports car :werd:

Melinda
10-06-2003, 12:29 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/hockey/nhl/10/05/snyder.obit.ap/?cnn=yes

Hakkola
10-06-2003, 12:30 AM
Yeah, he shouldn't be punished, he lost his best friend.... Bull Shit, how about Snyder's family??

Heatley will get prison time or this world has some serious problems.

xkon
10-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Yeah, he shouldn't be punished, he lost his best friend.... Bull Shit, how about Snyder's family??

Heatley will get prison time or this world has some serious problems.

:werd: If I killed my buddy driving reckless, id expect to go to jail... He knows what he did, and regardless if he was drunk or sober, he did an unforgivable thing...alcohol is no excuse

Wildcat
10-06-2003, 01:47 AM
alcohol wasent the case at all, hes a hockey player not a race car driver... as if him and the families involved havent lost enough.... shame on anyone who even mentions jailtime.

edit: and how the fuck do you justify vehicleur manslaughter when the person is inside the car??? you people..

max_boost
10-06-2003, 02:07 AM
The fact is, he used a weapon (car) to inflict bodily injury/death on another person. How is this case any different than the others?

It is so sad because Heatley had everything going right for him.

5.9 R/T
10-06-2003, 02:48 AM
I will not defend his actions, saying that he has suffered enough and shouldn't serve jailtime is pretty niave. As far as I'm concerned he should be charged with whatever the law stipulates, just because he lost a good friend and team mate, is a nice guy and a talented hockey player doesn't change anything. On the other hand, how many of us have pushed the limits of our cars either to show off to a friend or for pure enjoyment? It just so happened that in this case the limits of the car were considerably higher, and once broken cause considerable damage. Heatley worked his ass off to get where he did, it takes quite a high level of maturity and responsibility to achive what he did, so calling him just another ricer is pretty low and doesn't describe the type of person he was at all. We should all be so blessed to have his level of skill and work ethic in whatever endevor we persue.

Melinda
10-06-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
alcohol wasent the case at all, hes a hockey player not a race car driver... as if him and the families involved havent lost enough.... shame on anyone who even mentions jailtime.

edit: and how the fuck do you justify vehicleur manslaughter when the person is inside the car??? you people..
:thumbsdow You wanna be the family of the teamate he killed?! Do you think you'd say "oh it's okay, my son is dead and he knows that he killed him, that's enough punishment?!" HELLS NO!

And the guy may not have had much control over the situation at hand, are you gonna jump out of a speeding sports car???

5.9 R/T
10-06-2003, 03:18 AM
Actually Snyder's family doesn't want to see him go to jail, but that is besides the point.

Dope Dealer
10-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Craig MacTavish killed someone a while back too with a vehicle. I think he served a year in jail. MacTavish was under the influence at the time then.

I think he should be punished somewhat, but I'd hate to see him not play again in the NHL. He is going to be out for a while anyways with surgery to the knee.

sputnik
10-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by DUBBED

edit: i admit i have broken laws before... the only difference though is that the only life ive ever put in danger is mine

That is if you dont count the other people on the street... had Dany hit another car or pedestrian and killed someone he would be suffering the same fate.

Too bad it was a teammate in the car and not his girlfriend or mother.:devil:

/////AMG
10-06-2003, 09:47 AM
RIP. Looks like Heatley will learn the hard way, he will regret this for the rest of his life, and maybe it'll knock some sene in him. I blame it on him in every way, its his fault he put both himself & his friend in danger, now he will have to pay for it.

R-Audi
10-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Too bad it was a teammate in the car and not his girlfriend or mother.:devil:

Wow, are you going for the Asshole of the year award or what buddy?
Why don't you re-think your last comment. Either way, it was someone who was very close to him, and will no-doubtedly affect him for the rest of his life.

Wildcat
10-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

:thumbsdow You wanna be the family of the teamate he killed?! Do you think you'd say "oh it's okay, my son is dead and he knows that he killed him, that's enough punishment?!" HELLS NO!

And the guy may not have had much control over the situation at hand, are you gonna jump out of a speeding sports car???

He was in the car, everyone assumes the risks as soon as they step inside any vehicle... especially a ferrari

again it was an ACCIDENT! they happen!!! one life is already gone... why ruin another???

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Actually Snyder's family doesn't want to see him go to jail, but that is besides the point.

thank you

Z_Fan
10-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Everyone has an opinion...

Here's mine. First I must say that the Police haven't disclosed all the details yet. So we're all speculating. Perhaps there WAS another factor which directly caused this accident. Until that's proven...this is my opinion...

Very simply, to me, he's just a rich punk ass kid driving a car he obviously had not enough skill to drive. Prove to me he's taken several high speed driving courses, professional racing, or has some form of racing license, and I'll take that back. (Or PROVE there was a mechanical failure) But bottom line, he's just some kid with way to much $$$ thinking he's cool shit driving his Ferrari like a moron. See, if he was skilled and knowledgeable about the vehicle, he wouldn't have been driving those speeds in that environment. He'd be smart enough to understand it belongs at the track. (or on a long straight road outside the city populous) I think any vehicle capable stock of exceeding 300 Km/H belongs at the track. Any morons want to argue that?

I do feel sorry for his loss. That was a nice car!! LOL.

As for his friend...well, I don't count that as his loss, because if he was truly a friend he'd never endanger his life this way by driving a vehicle he clearly hasn't enough skill to drive...

It's saddening that Snyder should lose his life.

As for punishment. ABSOLUTELY! His injuries will heal, Snyder is DEAD! Hopefully Heatley will never play hockey again...I hope his career is ended by the injuries...and then at least he gets some punishment. Find a real nice job for 50K a year and then he'll have some respect for the cost of a Ferrari!!!

Also, he should receive 3-5 years for vehicular manslaughter. That's VERY LIGHT considering it carries a 15 year maximum. He'll be out of jail in 1-2 years for sure. Not enough to truly say he's been treated harshly (he killed someone remember?!!) but enough to let him see a world he's not likely to have thought about, and certainly enough time to let him ponder his life and his future...

I do have some nice words for Mr. Heatley. And granted, I don't know him, and can only go by hearsay (like we all do eh) -> I think he may just be the kind of guy who feels more sorry (or bad) for killing Snyder, than for his legal situation. That being said, there are a LOT of people out there who would be more concerned about themselves in the long term, than the fact they just killed someone by accident. So, I do think he has some character. Just obviously lacks good judgement and respect. Basically, yeah, he's just a 22 year old rich punk...who didn't grow up fast enough. He will now...rest assured...

Being a multi-millionaire at that age is probably difficult? LMAO

Z_Fan
10-06-2003, 10:09 AM
This is a good article.

Clarifies 80mph in a 35mph zone. So, that's 2.28 times the speed limit. Same as driving 130Km/H down YOUR RESIDENTIAL STREET! Idiot!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/jon_dolezar/10/06/snyder.remembered/index.html

Read this. It's good.

Kona9
10-06-2003, 10:18 AM
RIP Snyder.
This is definately a situation with a large range of thoughts and opinions. Yes wreckless driving is wrong, and we all know Dany didn't start his car with criminal intent to kill his friend. Yet its two young, successful guys on top of the world, in a car that most people dream of having, (let alone having a chance to go for a ride in for a good time) that made a bad decision of choosing to speed excessively, and ultimately paying the highest price.......life. It is not a situation if he has paid enough for what happened, by losing a friend and messing up his own career. He most definately has, and will pay that for the rest of his life. (do you think Craig Mac Tavish doesn't deal with his mistake to this day) It's also not a situation where they say " Now Dany, your friend is dead and your seriously hurt and this may ruin your career.......have you learned your lesson?" There is way more to factor in. I will speak on behalf of them not being intoxicated, because I really hope and think they weren't. I myself would rather him not serve jailtime. Why? Because of the fact that like I said, it was a VERY bad decision to drive wrecklessly, and even though a good friend has been lost and a career is at stake due to a bad decision, maybe community service of a more directed kind would suffice. We know that his earnings are very wealthy, and maybe he can turn some of his money, time and effort into things in this world that need attention. His money and time are worth more to communities in need, rather than people in those communities tax money to keep him in jail. In this case of vehicular homicide, Dany is not a criminal, he is an outstanding citizen that has made a really bad decision. There is way more ways to pay for his wrong doings than a jail sentence. I DO understand all of you that think he should do jailtime, because he messed up royally, and thats the law and all, yet at the same time he is in a way better position to pay for his actions by giving back to communities in need , more so than a minimum wage earning alcoholic that has been convicted time and time again for DUI who on his last drunken journey home form the bar, killed innocent people.
Opinions are property of those who spoke them, yet shared in agreement by select others. No matter what the final outcome of this very unfortunate situation is, some will be satisfied, some will not. C'est la vie

littledan
10-06-2003, 10:23 AM
what did craig mactavish do?

Kona9
10-06-2003, 10:26 AM
took the life of someone in a car crash while DUI

fast95pony
10-06-2003, 11:30 AM

again it was an ACCIDENT! they happen!!! one life is already gone... why ruin another???

Not an accident. The car was travelling way over the speed limit and hit a fence hard enough to rip it in two.There were no other factors reported. The results of a blood alcohol test won't be known for a few weeks. The driver made a decision to drive the car to a point where he lost control of it.

WhiteNikes
10-06-2003, 11:41 AM
great job. S' nice t' be rich 'n' have no responsiblities huh?

Wildcat
10-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by WhiteNikes
great job. S' nice t' be rich 'n' have no responsiblities huh?

its also nice to form sentences out of complete words

Super_Geo
10-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
Dany is not a criminal, he is an outstanding citizen that has made a really bad decision. There is way more ways to pay for his wrong doings than a jail sentence.

So let's say that I'm not an "outstanding citizen," just another average Joe. So if I kill someone with my car in the same situation, should I should go to jail while Dany Heatley, on account of him being an "outstanding citizen" and a star hockey player, gets a lesser sentence?

He deserves whatever the law says he deserves. I think 3-5 years in jail isn't unreasonable. Why shouldn't he get treated by the law as any normal person would?

Super_Geo
10-06-2003, 12:17 PM

That's exactly the point: he isn't a race car driver. And even if he were, there's no justification for doing double the speed limit. And what do you mean "the families have lost enough"? Just cause Dany's family feels bad that means he shouldn't have to go to jail?

Oh, sorry officer, but you can't send that man to jail for robbing a bank, his family would feel so bad. :rolleyes:

accordboi_02
10-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
RIP Snyder.
This is definately a situation with a large range of thoughts and opinions. Yes wreckless driving is wrong, and we all know Dany didn't start his car with criminal intent to kill his friend. Yet its two young, successful guys on top of the world, in a car that most people dream of having, (let alone having a chance to go for a ride in for a good time) that made a bad decision of choosing to speed excessively, and ultimately paying the highest price.......life. It is not a situation if he has paid enough for what happened, by losing a friend and messing up his own career. He most definately has, and will pay that for the rest of his life. (do you think Craig Mac Tavish doesn't deal with his mistake to this day) It's also not a situation where they say " Now Dany, your friend is dead and your seriously hurt and this may ruin your career.......have you learned your lesson?" There is way more to factor in. I will speak on behalf of them not being intoxicated, because I really hope and think they weren't. I myself would rather him not serve jailtime. Why? Because of the fact that like I said, it was a VERY bad decision to drive wrecklessly, and even though a good friend has been lost and a career is at stake due to a bad decision, maybe community service of a more directed kind would suffice. We know that his earnings are very wealthy, and maybe he can turn some of his money, time and effort into things in this world that need attention. His money and time are worth more to communities in need, rather than people in those communities tax money to keep him in jail. In this case of vehicular homicide, Dany is not a criminal, he is an outstanding citizen that has made a really bad decision. There is way more ways to pay for his wrong doings than a jail sentence. I DO understand all of you that think he should do jailtime, because he messed up royally, and thats the law and all, yet at the same time he is in a way better position to pay for his actions by giving back to communities in need , more so than a minimum wage earning alcoholic that has been convicted time and time again for DUI who on his last drunken journey home form the bar, killed innocent people.
Opinions are property of those who spoke them, yet shared in agreement by select others. No matter what the final outcome of this very unfortunate situation is, some will be satisfied, some will not. C'est la vie

I have to disagree with this based on just that fact that everyone is supposed to be equal before the law. What you are suggesting Kona, is that Heatley not get jail time just because he's rich... which ethically is wrong (although, I do admit it does happen) but at least he should be charged, and if he gets off, make it b/c of the expensive lawyers that he can hire (Johnny Cochrane, anyone???) and not just so he can "give back to the community." Yes he's rich, and yes, he MAY be able to do good things with community service, but that does not change the fact that he should be indicted and forced to at least face a trial. Then it is left up to the jury; the way it should be.
It is an unfortunate accident, but if it were some Joe Schmo driving a regular $30,000 car who totalled it and killed his passenger, there would be no cries for leniency and whatnot... it's only because Heatley is well known and well respected that people think he's "suffered enough."
I admit, if I was in a Ferrari, I would ask my friend to bag it, but in the end, people do have to pay for their actions, regardless. The law is the law, period. There should be no exceptions, no leniency for someone just because he plays pro hockey.

max_boost
10-06-2003, 12:22 PM
What kind of argument is that? He'll feel so bad for the rest of his life that he shouldn't receive any punishment. LMAO

Guilt is just part of his conscience, if he gets let off easily, that's going to set a precedent for the rest of law and society.

Super_Geo
10-06-2003, 12:26 PM
He was in the car, everyone assumes the risks as soon as they step inside any vehicle... especially a ferrari

If you're the driver of a car and you get into an accident where the passenger is seriously injured/killed, the passenger (or the family of the passenger) can sue you for damages.

So yes, Heatley was completely responsible for Synder's well being.

accordboi_02
10-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
What kind of argument is that? He'll feel so bad for the rest of his life that he shouldn't receive any punishment. LMAO

Guilt is just part of his conscience, if he gets let off easily, that's going to set a precedent for the rest of law and society.

Actually, it will be a precedent for the elite of society, not the rest of us who unfortunately don't make $7+ million a year...

Melinda
10-06-2003, 12:30 PM
A passenger can tell you to speed up, pin it, slow down, ect. It is ultimately up to the driver as to what they do behind the wheel. If the passenger says its okay to do so, it still isnt an excuse and it doesnt get you out of your punishment regardless of what your passenger said before the accident.

Ajay
10-06-2003, 12:33 PM
He was responsible for the well being of his passenger and it turns out his passenger died while he was reckless. It's all on him and he should be taking full responsibility.

I'm sure he feels like shit for what happened and I would expect him to get some jail time for this. It's not like he's a bad person who pre meditated this...just one of those things that happened.

I read on TSN's website that he may be able to plead down to a lesser charge (vehicular manslaughter in second degree) and if he did that he would get off with a way lesser sentence than the three to fifteen for vehicular manslaugther in the first degree. Either way if he get's off with nothing or very little what does that show to the kid's that he's a role model too? That you can literally get away with killing someone and have no reprecussions.

rx7girlie
10-06-2003, 12:38 PM
I don't know if this logically makes sense, but if he was not drinking, I think he is even more culpible since he should have been that much more in tune with reality and his choices.

Either way, he should get punished regardless, than while he sits in jail, he can contemplate on what he did.

ade99
10-06-2003, 12:48 PM
The fact is, he used a weapon (car) to inflict bodily injury/death on another person. How is this case any different than the others?

Exactly, I think it's the same crime as someone killing a pedestrian because he/she ran a red light.

Clever
10-06-2003, 01:15 PM
i don't know how some of you can say that he deserves this or what the fuck ever, Dany's devastated, him and Snyder are friends, now he was to live with that, do you know how painful that would be knowing you killed one of your friends, i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, the fact is we don't know what happened, from what i heard Dany's more concerned about Snyder's family, not about charges or jail time, or playing hockey, so however this turns out, Dany will face the charges on him, let's leave it to the law to convict him.

ade99
10-06-2003, 02:08 PM
doesn't matter if he feels remorse or not. the fact of the matter is he broke the law (by excessive speeding) which resulted in someone's death.

R-Audi
10-06-2003, 02:47 PM
From reading this thread, it seems like most have jumped on the opinion that Dany is some 'Rich Punk Ass Kid' who has no responsibility etc. As others feel, it shouldn't matter if he is rich or not. He made a mistake, and a Judge/Jury will decide his fate.
It was an accident. Take it at that. I know that he shouldnt of been going that fast, but it happens. Some of my friends are close to Dany and his family, and I have heard nothing negative before this point about him. He seemed to always be there for all of his friends, and do whatever he could to help out. I know that guilt and jail might never be enough for some people, but personally, between the two, jail would appear to be the lesser punishment.

silverEL
10-06-2003, 02:54 PM
wurd

syeve
10-06-2003, 03:18 PM
I have also read that Danny was and is a truely nice guy...besides the fact though...I think everyone here has done stupid shit in their car...I know I have, I have been lucky to escape injury...I have been through several experiences where the first thing out of my mouth was " I cant believe we made that!!"
...neways, my 2cents = he should be dealt with the exact same as anyone else...no one can argue different. Fair trial is hard to come by for those in the public eye...it may very well be the judge will make an example out of him...in that case I feel for the guy. Other than that, he scewed up, causing the loss of someones life. He should be punished accordingly.

AND NO MORE FERARRIS FOR HIM

CelicaST-162
10-06-2003, 03:25 PM
I believe Dany has to take some responsibility for this, ripping 130 in a 50 zone thats breaking the law. Thing thats gonna really suck for him though....Is living through all his life knowing that he was the cause that killed someone.

Z_Fan
10-06-2003, 04:10 PM
You know what?

LET IT BE KNOWN...
First and foremost, Dany is a criminal. He became one the instant he caused harm to another individual with his vehicle. Accident or not. It's law, and he broke it. So never forget, Danny is a criminal now. If you kill some one with your car, you will become a criminal too. Your intent is irrelevant. This shit happens to good people, and to bad people. In both cases, you're now a criminal because you have just committed a criminal deed.

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES...
I bet most of you HAVE done stupid things in your car. I'd be lying to tell you I haven't. I'm smart enough not to drive beyond my ability. I respect my carz. I know they're dangerous and every time I get in a car, my life is on the line. You'd be a fool to think it's not. People die in cars all the time guys, it's just reality. We take it for granted that we're gonna be "OK" all the time.

REALITY CHECK...
I fully expect to crash my car in to a wall one day if I become just slightly to brave around a corner, or think I have just a smidgeon more talent than I really do. But I'll be on a race track when it happens, and I'm well aware of the risk. I like that risk! It's part of the rush of driving fast.

FOOLISH YOUTHS...
Anyhow, back to doing dumb things in cars...we've likely all done it. More when I was in my early 20's than now...What I can tell you is that despite at times having made poor choices in a car at super-high speeds (twice as fast as poor Danny was going) -> I've always had the brains to do it away from the rest of the world. IE - out of town on a road with no one around. I'm a danger just to myself at that point...

PLAIN STUPID...
He's ripping up a residential area at 130Km/H. WRECKLESS IDIOT. Plain and simple. I hope alcohol is not involved, purely for his legal mess will worsen. But on the other hand, I hope it IS involved so I can some how understand better the speeds and the locale. This guy must be a complete fucking idiot if he was sober!? I can't imagine driving 70Km/H down my residential streets near my house. Forget about 130Km/H.

CAR & EGO OUT OF CONTROL...
Personally, I think Dany's ego and arrogance caught up to him. This is a guy who won a Dodge (I think) Truck for being the MVP of the All-Star game. (Right, a black one?) He should have been proud of it, thought of it as a trophy of sorts, an accomplishment, and kept it around. Instead, he "takes care of it" (got rid of it) because he's caught up in the in 15 seconds of fame being a rich hockey player on top of the world. That is EGO over taking RATIONALE. It shows you his values as a young kid. I suggest that is exactly why what he has done can only be described as WRECKLESS endangerment.

PAY THE PIPER...
He should be dealt with just like any other MODEL CITIZEN in the court of law. If he was some scum bag who's done this 3 times, lets throw the book at him. Either way, he MUST receive punishment. He must be treated as any other criminal with a felony charge against him. He must pay his debt to society as determined by a judge or jury. Simple. It's what we all have to do if we want to participate in society. He's not special. Lieniency for first time offenders is often the case, and I'd like to express my hope for this for Dany. *BUT* He must not 'walk away' from this. That is not a success for any judicial system.

LIFE GOES ON...OR NOT...
May Snyder rest in peace.

GET OVER IT...
May Dany some day come to grips with what has happened. No matter what the judicial system gives this young man, his punishment will be carrying this incident with him for the rest of his life.

/////AMG
10-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
You know what?

LET IT BE KNOWN...
First and foremost, Danny is a criminal. He became one the instant he caused harm to another individual with his vehicle. Accident or not. It's law, and he broke it. So never forget, Danny is a criminal now. If you kill some one with your car, you will become a criminal too. Your intent is irrelevant. This shit happens to good people, and to bad people. In both cases, you're now a criminal because you have just committed a criminal deed.

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES...
I bet most of you HAVE done stupid things in your car. I'd be lying to tell you I haven't. I'm smart enough not to drive beyond my ability. I respect my carz. I know they're dangerous and every time I get in a car, my life is on the line. You'd be a fool to think it's not. People die in cars all the time guys, it's just reality. We take it for granted that we're gonna be "OK" all the time.

REALITY CHECK...
I fully expect to crash my car in to a wall one day if I become just slightly to brave around a corner, or think I have just a smidgeon more talent than I really do. But I'll be on a race track when it happens, and I'm well aware of the risk. I like that risk! It's part of the rush of driving fast.

FOOLISH YOUTHS...
Anyhow, back to doing dumb things in cars...we've likely all done it. More when I was in my early 20's than now...What I can tell you is that despite at times having made poor choices in a car at super-high speeds (twice as fast as poor Danny was going) -> I've always had the brains to do it away from the rest of the world. IE - out of town on a road with no one around. I'm a danger just to myself at that point...

PLAIN STUPID...
He's ripping up a residential area at 130Km/H. WRECKLESS IDIOT. Plain and simple. I hope alcohol is not involved, purely for his legal mess will worsen. But on the other hand, I hope it IS involved so I can some how understand better the speeds and the locale. This guy must be a complete fucking idiot if he was sober!? I can't imagine driving 70Km/H down my residential streets near my house. Forget about 130Km/H.

Personally, I think Danny's ego and arrogance caught up to him. This is a guy who won a Dodge (I think) Truck for being the MVP of the All-Star game. (Right, a black one?) He should have been proud of it, thought of it as a trophy of sorts, an accomplishment, and kept it around. Instead, he "takes care of it" (got rid of it) because he's caught up in the in 15 seconds of fame being a rich hockey player on top of the world. That is EGO over taking RATIONALE. It shows you his values as a young kid. I suggest that is exactly why what he has done can only be described as WRECKLESS endangerment.

PAY THE PIPER...
He should be dealt with just like any other MODEL CITIZEN in the court of law. If he was some scum bag who's done this 3 times, lets throw the book at him. Either way, he MUST receive punishment. He must be treated as any other criminal with a felony charge against him. He must pay his debt to society as determined by a judge or jury. Simple. It's what we all have to do if we want to participate in society. He's not special. Lieniency for first time offenders is often the case, and I'd like to express my hope for this for Danny. *BUT* He must not 'walk away' from this. That is not a success for any judicial system.

LIFE GOES ON...OR NOT...
May Snyder rest in peace.

GET OVER IT...
May Danny some day come to grips with what has happened. No matter what the judicial system gives this young man, his punishment will be carrying this incident with him for the rest of his life.

:werd: Man you said it right on the money. People will argue with you but everyone know he did something wrong. What is done is done. We will see what happens, there is no point in arguing now. I know people are going to argue a lot so I say close this thread before it starts.

R-Audi
10-06-2003, 05:03 PM
You know what?

Personally, I think Danny's ego and arrogance caught up to him. This is a guy who won a Dodge (I think) Truck for being the MVP of the All-Star game. (Right, a black one?) He should have been proud of it, thought of it as a trophy of sorts, an accomplishment, and kept it around. Instead, he "takes care of it" (got rid of it) because he's caught up in the in 15 seconds of fame being a rich hockey player on top of the world. That is EGO over taking RATIONALE. It shows you his values as a young kid. I suggest that is exactly why what he has done can only be described as WRECKLESS endangerment.

That truck/Denali I believe it was, that he won in the All Star game was GIVEN to a friend of his. It was an accomplishment of his, but thought it would be nicer, since he was so fortunate, to help out friends of his.
How does arrogance work into that equation? Ego over taking RATIONALE over? It shows your values of being an older ignorant, jealous adult.
Granted most people assume 'rich' people act differently, dont go judging people by the amount of money made, age,or profession.

Dany did make a mistake, and will live with the consequences for the rest of his life. Don't make judgements about people, because of one mistake, especially with a lack of knowledge.

Oh, the speed hasn't actually been determined, those posted were estimates. Nothing more (Lawyer on TSN Monday, 6th)

Wildcat
10-06-2003, 06:18 PM
for all you crime and punishment mongers, i have my opinion; and i beleive he shouldnt goto jail...

but at the end of the day, right or wrong... you know it, i know it.... in the end Danny Heatly will NOT see jail time.

max_boost
10-06-2003, 06:28 PM

but at the end of the day, right or wrong... you know it, i know it.... in the end Danny Heatly will NOT see jail time.

Beause he's a celebrity!

Those of you who are supporting his character make it sound like you are best friends with the guy. lol:rofl: If he was as every bit as responsible and sensible as you make him sound like, he wouldn't be in such a big mess!

And you think this is the first time he's ever ripped around town going 2.5 times the speed limit? Come on, I bet you he's done it so often he thinks he's invincible on the road!!!

Honestly, I would expect Ilya Kovalchuk to crash his Lambo before Heatley crashes his Ferrari. Just based on the way he's portrayed through the media's eye, us fans catch on to things like that.

Ahh, what it's like to be the best player on your team, have endorsements coming out of your ass, being compared to Mark Messier, the other half to a rising dynamic duo, MVP of all star game, millions in the bank, well liked by possibly every hockey fan on the planet......and boom, a brick wall to ruin it all.....

max_boost
10-06-2003, 06:29 PM
As a hockey fan, I am so disappointed and wish the best for him. But as a person, boy did he fcuk up real good this time.

Z_Fan
10-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

That truck/Denali I believe it was, that he won in the All Star game was GIVEN to a friend of his. It was an accomplishment of his, but thought it would be nicer, since he was so fortunate, to help out friends of his.
How the FUCK does arrogance work into that equation? Ego over taking RATIONALE over? It shows your values of being an older ignorant, jealous adult.
Granted most people assume 'rich' people act differently, dont go judging people by the amount of money made, age,or profession.

You were right to single this out of the entire comments that I made. It is agreeable to be the most inaccurate or questionable statement. I didn't know what he did with the truck, other than got rid of it. Either way, it's simply that in my eye, he should have kept it...

Ego comes in to the equation more than arrogance...

I guess if he decided to keep the truck, and drive it to events he supports due to his profession, he'd have been in IT instead of his Ferrari and this whole thing wouldn't have happened? Hmmm. Wonder how fortunate he feels today...

Jealousy isn't something I will ever be. Just not in my nature. I take things for what they are. I haven't judged him by his income, age or profession. I've judged him by the foolish act he has committed. It is simply his age and income that have placed him in an environment where it can (and did) happen. His profession is quite unimportant.

What is done is done. Sucks to be him. That is fact.

Clever
10-06-2003, 06:46 PM

Beause he's a celebrity!

Those of you who are supporting his character make it sound like you are best friends with the guy. lol:rofl: If he was as every bit as responsible and sensible as you make him sound like, he wouldn't be in such a big mess!

And you think this is the first time he's ever ripped around town going 2.5 times the speed limit? Come on, I bet you he's done it so often he thinks he's invincible on the road!!!

Honestly, I would expect Ilya Kovalchuk to crash his Lambo before Heatley crashes his Ferrari. Just based on the way he's portrayed through the media's eye, us fans catch on to things like that.

Ahh, what it's like to be the best player on your team, have endorsements coming out of your ass, being compared to Mark Messier, the other half to a rising dynamic duo, MVP of all star game, millions in the bank, well liked by possibly every hockey fan on the planet......and boom, a brick wall to ruin it all.....

wouldn't waste my time replying to this thread if i didn't know him.
but to be fair to everyone yes he fucked up, and he may or may not get jail time, but some of you are making him look like the most evil son a of bitch for making a stupid mistake, considering you don't even know the guy. if he does go to jail, well that's the price he has to pay for what he's done.

Kona9
10-06-2003, 07:13 PM
Wow, after I re-read my original post and continued to read the rest until now, I have somewhat strayed away from my original opinion for the main fact of stereotype (perhaps?) The way I had written my opinion made it look completely as "He's rich, he can do more for the community and the Snyder family than the community wants to pay for his jailterm through taxes." I do view this thought as logical, yet not morrally correct, now that some of your opinions have been written clearly and more so correctly. You are right The law is the law, judge and jury. SUPER GEO you are correct 3-5 years with early probation options is not unreasonable. As far as my outstanding citizen comment goes, there is no difference between, him , you , or me, but it was a thought and opinion that his financial position, and a sentence to society can go towards a more positive movement in society, rather than society's tax money to serve his term in prison, more so than an average $50 k a year person making the same mistake. Please keep in mind it was a thought. Z-fan, you have very valid points, but I will correct myself when I say he is not a criminal, I meant for it to portray the fact that it's not like he's been in shit for this before, therefore he is not a REPEAT criminal, hence the " minimum wage earning alcoholic that has been convicted time and time again for DUI who on his last drunken journey home form the bar, killed innocent people." comment on my last post.
Whatever happens happens,and is beyond our control. Again condolences to the Snyder family, and I wish Dany and the Heatly family the best in all ahead.
P.S. no I have never met Dany, but I have had the oppurtunity, to work with very close friends of his.

sin
10-06-2003, 08:23 PM
it was his choice to speed like that, so i dont feel bad, except for the passenger, he deserves any punishment he gets, you ppl defending him are the same ppl who get mad at cops for giving you a ticket

R-Audi
10-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by sin
it was his choice to speed like that, so i dont feel bad, except for the passenger, he deserves any punishment he gets, you ppl defending him are the same ppl who get mad at cops for giving you a ticket

I am not defending him for what he did, if you follow the entire thread, but that doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for him. Its quite different.
I am always gonna be choked when I get a ticket, but I do deserve it, as Dany will deserve what happens to him.
Nice general statement though.....

LowRiderHD2000
10-06-2003, 08:50 PM
As a friend of Dany I must say you guys are like a group of people ready to burn a witch at the stake.

[/IMG]http://arago4.tn.utwente.nl/stonedead/movies/holy-grail/thumbnails/05-villagers.jpg[/IMG]

Does innocent until proven guilty come into mind these days?

No one here knows exactly what happened and has no right to call him a criminal or a rich punk. For all we know there could have been many factors that caused him to crash. Mechanical failure is a major issue that they are investigating. It’s also not too uncommon for people to loss consciousness our fall asleep at the wheel. So how about out of respect for a good person who has done nothing but positive things in his life a break until we truly know the answer to what happened.

Lets all hope for the best for the local boy and wish him luck with his recovery. :)

http://arago4.tn.utwente.nl/stonedead/movies/holy-grail/ra/05-02.ra[IMG]

Clever
10-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by sin
you ppl defending him are the same ppl who get mad at cops for giving you a ticket

so now you know me and classify me as one of them huh?? that's the most asinine comment on this thread so far, so maybe everyone that owns a sunfire is a loser, and yeah every criminal live in forest lawn, wtf??? if you assume cuz your misinformed i don't blame you, but assuming cuz your ignorant that's just plain stupid. i'm defending the fact that Dany's not a evil condescending bastard that some people are making him out to be.. So yeah as for me getting mad when i get pulled over by cops, if you had the slightest idea as to who iam and what i do, well you'll know why i find your comment offensive.

davidI
10-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Was Snyder wearing a seatbelt?

Sorry to just jump in with this question and I hope it wasn't answered earlier in the thread but from what I heard Snyder wasn't wearing a seatbelt and he was thrown from the car...now if this is true then I'm going to stick by my original statement and say taht Dany doesn't deserve jailtime. Yes, he screwed up, but do you think a day will go by where he doesn't think of killing his good friend? That is a harsher punishment than jailtime IMO. I'm sure I'll get flamed for my statements supporting Heatly in not going to prison but think about it: Prison serves two purposes, punishment and rehabilitation. Dany was already punished in killing his friend and hurting all of Snyder's friends and family. There's no real reason to 'rehabilitate' Dany as he just made a driving error...a lot of people have done that. What is more likely to happen is Dany will go into jail and come out in 5 years having nothing to contribute to society. The whole point of the prison system is to take people who endanger society and rehab them into contributing citizens. What I can see happening is Dany going into prison, becomming depressed and getting into hard substances. I'm not trying to slander Dany's character and say he is weak and will succumb to drugs but I think it is a very feasible assumption that the prison system will do more harm than good to him. Yes, I agree with many of the people who provided points for advocating jail time - and if this event wasn't going to have such a devastating effect on Dany I'd probably think that he should spend a month in jail for reckless driving etc. The fact that Snyder died shouldn't make jail time worse for Dany - if anything it should lighten due to the fact taht Dany will have a burden on him for the rest of his life. If alcohol or any other factors are found which show true negligence on Heatly's part I may change my mind but right now I just see it as 'spirited driving' gone awry. As sad as it is, I'm sure Snyder was pumped about ripping around town in the Ferrari. My views - not yours, Dave

Melinda
10-07-2003, 12:14 AM
I know Dany and his father, they are both clients of ours and have both been around our office for years and I agree, very nice guy. His dad is an interesting fellow but that's a whole other story. I still hold my viewpoint though, that if you do the crime, you do the time.

Hakkola
10-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Of course he's a 'nice guy' that's what every body says about a famous person when they're in trouble, I've yet to hear about someone who isn't a 'nice guy.'

I like Heatley, good player, maybe a contender for scoring race this year, but courts set precedents, I'm sure this has happened before in Georgia and people have been sent to jail. Georgia is tough on drivers, HE WILL see jail time.

That makes me happy. I don't care if Jesus himself was driving that car, if you break the law and kill someone even inadvertantly you're still breaking the law.

I hope he's able to play again, but he better get some time.

itsnotaDUB
10-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Wow, are you going for the Asshole of the year award or what buddy?
Why don't you re-think your last comment. Either way, it was someone who was very close to him, and will no-doubtedly affect him for the rest of his life.

:werd: by wishing death apon someone(girlfriend/mom) is a pretty brutial statement are you sure you want that?, what if someone wanted your girlfriend/ mom dead???
just think about it

accordboi_02
10-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Was Snyder wearing a seatbelt?

Sorry to just jump in with this question and I hope it wasn't answered earlier in the thread but from what I heard Snyder wasn't wearing a seatbelt and he was thrown from the car...now if this is true then I'm going to stick by my original statement and say taht Dany doesn't deserve jailtime. Yes, he screwed up, but do you think a day will go by where he doesn't think of killing his good friend? That is a harsher punishment than jailtime IMO. I'm sure I'll get flamed for my statements supporting Heatly in not going to prison but think about it: Prison serves two purposes, punishment and rehabilitation. Dany was already punished in killing his friend and hurting all of Snyder's friends and family. There's no real reason to 'rehabilitate' Dany as he just made a driving error...a lot of people have done that. What is more likely to happen is Dany will go into jail and come out in 5 years having nothing to contribute to society. The whole point of the prison system is to take people who endanger society and rehab them into contributing citizens. What I can see happening is Dany going into prison, becomming depressed and getting into hard substances. I'm not trying to slander Dany's character and say he is weak and will succumb to drugs but I think it is a very feasible assumption that the prison system will do more harm than good to him. Yes, I agree with many of the people who provided points for advocating jail time - and if this event wasn't going to have such a devastating effect on Dany I'd probably think that he should spend a month in jail for reckless driving etc. The fact that Snyder died shouldn't make jail time worse for Dany - if anything it should lighten due to the fact taht Dany will have a burden on him for the rest of his life. As sad as it is, I'm sure Snyder was pumped about ripping around town in the Ferrari. My views - not yours, Dave

Guilt/remorse for what happened is not viewed as punishment in the eyes of the law, and it never should be. The majority of murders (not accidents, like Heatley) committed are crimes of passion where the offender just "snaps" and kills his wife, kid, etc... and the majority of them suffer extreme guilt and remorse afterwards, and will never kill again... should they not go to jail as well?? I don't know Heatley, so I have no idea what he's like in person, but he should not have leniency just because he feels bad for what he did.

NickGT
10-07-2003, 06:30 PM
I'm smart enough not to drive beyond my ability. I respect my carz.

Heh, famous last words.

If by this you mean that you occasionally break the speed limit because you feel its within your control and driving ability. You are just as guilty as anyone else of endangering the lives of yourself and others around you.

Road conditions, mechanical failures, and driver error can all kill you in a second regardless of how good you think you are.

But if you mean you drive according to posted speed limits, and obey propery driving techiques. Well the kudos to you. Its something alot of us agree with. We all wanna stay safe on the roads, and keep our damn insurance rates down...

Z_Fan
10-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by FoxLX

Heh, famous last words.

If by this you mean that you occasionally break the speed limit because you feel its within your control and driving ability. You are just as guilty as anyone else of endangering the lives of yourself and others around you.

Road conditions, mechanical failures, and driver error can all kill you in a second regardless of how good you think you are.

But if you mean you drive according to posted speed limits, and obey propery driving techiques. Well the kudos to you. Its something alot of us agree with. We all wanna stay safe on the roads, and keep our damn insurance rates down...

For the most part, I obey the speed limit...

I'm not a perfect driver. It's the fact that I'm keenly aware that shit can happen at any time that makes me a better driver! It's easy to recognize dangerous situations such as driving 120Km/H down a residential street, so I don't ever do that kind of thing!

And YES I do stupid shit still. (Rarely). But NO I don't do stupid shit around other drivers. For the most part, I take it to the track. I leave it at the track.

I see a lot of yahoos leaving Race City (Secret Streets) and just RIPPING up the road after they turn left out. You won't ever see me do that. I'm cruising at 50Km/H maybe 60Km/H. Nothing more. Makes me wonder why the hell they bother going to Secret Street!

BACK TO THE TOPIC...
I'm very pleased that they are allowing Dany to go to the funeral. This is a very important part in his own personal grieving, and also the very first step to healing this emotional wound that is surely very deep.

Kudos to the judge who realizes Dany has broken the law, but is not a career criminal or violent scumbag. This is a good thing for Dany, his friends and family. Etc.

NickGT
10-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Thats really good to hear (for my question, and for the update on Heatley).