PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil

r1_boii
01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
anyone recomend any good fish oil brands theyve used? ive heard its really good for when you wanna turn the fat burning cells on and such. very good for the joints and such.

and also good glutamine brands for workout recovery.

im getting really interested in the supplements used. all ive been doing is eating lots of good protein vegetables and such and drinking 3-4 cups of protein a day.

AZ REALTY
01-22-2009, 07:48 PM
I take ProOmega by Nordic Naturals.

www.nordicnaturals.com

Another good oil is Udo's Oil 3-6-9 Blend. It comes in liquid and you add it to your protein shakes.

www.florahealth.com

wiggaplz
01-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by AZ REALTY
I take ProOmega by Nordic Naturals.

www.nordicnaturals.com

Another good oil is Udo's Oil 3-6-9 Blend. It comes in liquid and you add it to your protein shakes.

www.florahealth.com

dont take advice from any guys on here. they are all "cut" (aka small) midget fags.

go to t-nation, or iron addicts for some proper advice.

AZ REALTY
01-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by wiggaplz

dont take advice from any guys on here. they are all "cut" (aka small) midget fags.

What are talking about? I'm white, 6' 2", 200 lbs., and in great shape.

Redlined_8000
01-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Here is what i take. Taste is great. buying in liquid form will save you some dough.
http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-The-Very-Finest-Fish-Oil

Darkane
01-23-2009, 02:56 PM

Almost everyone ;)

bashir26
01-23-2009, 04:55 PM

wigga plz

bubbley
01-23-2009, 04:57 PM

:rofl:

bubbley
01-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by AZ REALTY

What are talking about? I'm white, 6' 2", 200 lbs., and in great shape. I'm white

Dumbass17
03-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I'M ON A BOAT

oster
03-06-2009, 01:35 AM
haha

My understanding is that most fish oils are the same, and you absorb more in liquid form rather than the pills...

kutt3r
03-06-2009, 08:09 PM

I am not cut...
:dunno:

oops and Trueprotien....

Jonel
03-08-2009, 05:09 PM
For Fish Oil I just use the Omega 3 GNC ones, I really try to avoid the Omega 3-6-9 like udo's because it causes nausea for me for some odd reason.

Toma
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Why not eat a serving of Wild Pacific Salmon daily?

mr2mike
03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Jonel
For Fish Oil I just use the Omega 3 GNC ones, I really try to avoid the Omega 3-6-9 like udo's because it causes nausea for me for some odd reason.

Cut back the serving size. I'm guessing your body can't handle that much oil at once. I've gone over on a serving and the only thing I found which sounds counter intuitive, is to chug a glass of water or two. It helped stop me from wanting to hurl.

I forget the brand but it's in a blue bottle and it's orange flavored. Doesn't taste as bad. They also have Cinamon flavored too. I didn't like it as much, it's like drinking fish with spices.

Darkane
03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Cut back the serving size. I'm guessing your body can't handle that much oil at once.

That's an excellent indication of heavy metals present in the oil.

Get your hands on "Carlson's Finest". It's bottled in Norway, passed many stringent tests, Heavy metal free, Vit A&D free I believe.

It's the best shit, Flavour award 2008 for the lemon.

I consume 27-30G/day. That would be 27-30 pills hah. Never a Gastric issue.

mr2mike
03-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Never thought of that. Come to think of it, it only happened with Udo's 3-6-9. Not cool!

Jonel
03-16-2009, 10:29 PM

Get your hands on "Carlson's Finest". It's bottled in Norway, passed many stringent tests, Heavy metal free, Vit A&D free I believe.

holy jesus batman 30 pills a day o_O

mr2mike
03-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Ya, the pill form has very little oil in it compared to liquid versions.

403Gemini
03-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow i take 6 pills a day... 27-30 seems like overkill!! lol

zipdoa
03-20-2009, 01:11 PM

I just bought a litre of this Carlsons Finest... same sort of aftertaste as sardines IMO. Why do you take so much though?

403Gemini
03-20-2009, 01:16 PM
who loves the fish burps? :D

Clever
11-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Bump.

I'm thinking about adding Vitamin D to my daily Fish Oil intake, anyone else do this? I read somewhere awhile back that at my age (early thirties) vitamin d is produced less as you get older, but not sure if it it would benefit from it as I take Fish Oil now. Any thoughts?

My_name_is_Rob
11-24-2012, 06:27 PM
I started taking 3 pills a day in the spring, and still going strong. I don't notice any kind of difference though, not sure if your supposed to notice a difference or not. :dunno:

msommers
11-24-2012, 06:37 PM
I take a small spoonful of Nutrasea daily. Any more and my hair and body gets pretty oily. I'm not a big guy and don't need as much. Definitely helps with joints!

sabad66
11-24-2012, 07:18 PM
I take 6 of these every day:
http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1111-fish-oil-complex-1000mg-softgels-1000-softgels.aspx?

Not too expense at approx $35 (after shipping) for 1000 gelcaps

Caricar
11-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Consumer reports did some lab testing of a bunch of top brands - Nordic Naturals came out on top.

Nine brands passed all quality measures tested, including:

Spring Valley Omega-3
Finest Natural
Walgreens Omega-3 Concentrate
Barlean’s Organic Oils EPA-DHA
Nature Made 1,200 MG
The Vitamin Shoppe Meg-3 EPA-DHA
Carlson Super Omega-3 Gems
Norwegian Gold Ultimate Critical Omega
Nature’s Way Fisol

Nordic naturals, unlike a lot of these, met a bunch of quality measures, though they couldn't compare it exactly with industry standards because it has lemon oil in it (?)

The biggest things the study recommended:
-Look for companies that disclose their results for testing for environmental contaminants (most won't, GNC are particularly bad for this)
-Look for supplements that have third-party verification, such as USP.
-Bite into the capsule to make sure it tastes fresh and not “fishy.”

--> http://www.fishoilsafety.com/?page_id=10
here you can get results on exposure to environmental contaminants for some of the brands.

Link (Wfs) http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20111206/some-fish-oil-supplements-fishy-on-quality

Caricar
11-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Anyone see the fish oil challenge? (warning lots of puking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSHMcjeI8s4

msommers
12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Where is the cheapest you guys have seen for Carlson fish oil? It's 59.99 for the 500mL on well.ca which I'm not sure is a good price or not vs. just buying locally. If it is, I'll put a group buy together for anyone that wants something from that site.

max_boost
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I get mine from vitacost.com

USANA multivitamin, vitamin d, and Carlson fish oil. I swear by the 3! Take it everyday!

Tej.S
12-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Why care so much about the brand? Unless there's a significant difference between them, I wouldn't worry about it. Just get any that isn't too pricey(if that's what you're looking for). Or you could save the money and just get your omega 3's, 6's, etc from food(eggs & tuna?). Same thing goes for glutamine, brand isn't really necessary. I've only ever bought glutamine separately once(ALLMAX brand), and although I did notice a difference, I didn't really "need" it.

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2012, 07:08 AM
I bought a bottle of kirkland brand on a whim, thoughts? It says take three a day, what is gained by upping your dose? :dunno:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/20121211_074206.jpg

stevieo
12-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I get mine from vitacost.com

USANA multivitamin, vitamin d, and Carlson fish oil. I swear by the 3! Take it everyday!

You can't buy items that have more than "100 servings" it won't cross the border. I got my order confiscated...pretty shitty. Hahaha I didn't even know I couldn't because I ordered the fish oil before. Still haven't gotten my money back because if they don't ship it back to vitacost I don't get my money back haha. I emailed them asking why my order has taken so long (about a month and a half for a max of "21 business days shipping" so I emailed them and they told me about the restrictions Canadian laws just put up)

2Legit2Quit
12-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I bought a bottle of kirkland brand on a whim, thoughts? It says take three a day, what is gained by upping your dose? :dunno:
You gain the ability to breath underwater.

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit
You gain the ability to breath underwater.

Or, in your mom?

Darkane, why would you take that high a doseage?

Darkane
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Or, in your mom?

Darkane, why would you take that high a doseage?

Higher Dosage was meant for a low potency of Oil, like yours.

This thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/218876/reasons-for-fish-oil-supplementation-/

All of those reasons to some form of degree are heightened with increased dosage.

I don't take 27-30G anymore. Something Much higher potency works just as good as lower dosing.

Trying to get my Doctor to prescribe Lovaza still ;)

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Now I'm more confused.... Haha Is there any benefit to the one that I bought then and how much should a regular joe be taking? I don't workout at all but will likely start 2x a week cross fit type thing for the rest of winter.

I'm 6' and sit just under 222-225 all winter doing nothing and am a
constant 215 in bmx season.

"Something Much higher potency works just as good as lower dosing." This statement isn't clear to me.

Thanks.

max_boost
12-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

You can't buy items that have more than "100 servings" it won't cross the border. I got my order confiscated...pretty shitty. Hahaha I didn't even know I couldn't because I ordered the fish oil before. Still haven't gotten my money back because if they don't ship it back to vitacost I don't get my money back haha. I emailed them asking why my order has taken so long (about a month and a half for a max of "21 business days shipping" so I emailed them and they told me about the restrictions Canadian laws just put up) WTF? So confused?

I ordered 2 bottles of Carlson's 500ml on Nov 26th and got it last week?

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2012, 04:32 PM
What would the major difference be between the carlson and their "house" brand Darkane/max? Beyond the price....

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-liquid-finest-fish-oil-omega-3-dha-epa

http://www.vitacost.com/carlson-the-very-finest-fish-oil-lemon-16-9-fl-oz-2

stevieo
12-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
WTF? So confused?

I ordered 2 bottles of Carlson's 500ml on Nov 26th and got it last week?

I got screwed then!! I ordered two bottles and I haven't received it. Did you do just regular shipping? :banghead: :thumbsdow

max_boost
12-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

I got screwed then!! I ordered two bottles and I haven't received it. Did you do just regular shipping? :banghead: :thumbsdow

DHL Priority. It was $15.

Damn. That sucks if you did get screwed.

Darkane
12-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Now I'm more confused.... Haha Is there any benefit to the one that I bought then and how much should a regular joe be taking? I don't workout at all but will likely start 2x a week cross fit type thing for the rest of winter.

I'm 6' and sit just under 222-225 all winter doing nothing and am a
constant 215 in bmx season.

"Something Much higher potency works just as good as lower dosing." This statement isn't clear to me.

Thanks.

Meant to say, Something much higher potency works just as good AT lower dosing.

Example: Carlsons fish oil 20g/day, Lovaza 6caps/day.

What we're looking for it EPA/DHA concentration/gram.

The basic ones are only 300 epa and dha combined out of 1000.

jsn
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Where is the cheapest you guys have seen for Carlson fish oil? It's 59.99 for the 500mL on well.ca which I'm not sure is a good price or not vs. just buying locally. If it is, I'll put a group buy together for anyone that wants something from that site.

Bought mine from a health food store in westbrook mall for $62 (including tax). Definitely cheaper than well.ca if you have to factor in shipping. If you want I can help you pick up a bottle next time I'm back in town. Super close to my house.

rosemarie
12-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Fish oil is very important for good health because In the new study, researchers sought to resolve these inconsistent findings by re-examining data from 20 previous clinical trials involving nearly 70,000 patients.

msommers
12-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Stopped at Vitamin's First in Marda Loop for my multi-vitamins and checked for fish oil. Got this for $39.95...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/matt_calgary/20121220_200312.jpg

max_boost
12-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Wow I didn't even know it was sold locally. Definitely will buy it here from now on.

403ep3
01-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Stopped at Vitamin's First in Marda Loop for my multi-vitamins and checked for fish oil. Got this for $39.95...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/matt_calgary/20121220_200312.jpg

Need some fish oils, hope they still have these in stock!

sputnik
01-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Why not eat a serving of Wild Pacific Salmon daily?

Agreed. Olive and flaxseed oils on salads are great too.

Instead of taking expensive supplements, eat food with the vitamins and minerals in it that you want.

davidI
01-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Instead of taking expensive supplements, eat food with the vitamins and minerals in it that you want.

Convenience. Cost. Preparation Time. etc.

I agree it's best to get your nutrients from whole foods, but it's not always possible.

I work at a camp and my menu options are dictated to me. Supplementation is the easiest way to get my EFA fix.

austic
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

I agree in theory but I find unlike beef or chicken I get sick of fish rather quickly.

FixedGear
01-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Not sure if this will help anyone, but Walmart in US has 400 of the Spring Valley Omega-3 (enteric coated) fish oil capsules for about $11. I take 10/day.

elite
04-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Just finally finished all my fish oil pills and looking to pick up the oil in a liquid form know. Whats a good brand that can be found locally and is decent tasting? prebably somewhere up in the north end of town.