PDA

View Full Version : Need some help. car shuts off while driving!

hattonlynch
01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi all
First time poster here, I heard some of you guys would be able to help me out with my problem. I drive a 97 Grand Prix and today while I was driving (along with yesterday) the car shut off completely while I was driving (twice when it was a slow speed, under 30km and once when I was parked/it was ideling). Basically, the steering wheel locks up and I have to park it, then turn the ignition again and it works fine. When the car shuts off, the oil and battery lights both show up so I am unsure what it could be. Possibly electrical?

what does beyond think?

sr20s14zenki
01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Steering Locks. Or is it just hard to steer. Gm ignition modules are known to fail. I bet that's it

sidewaysD
01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
GM did put those stupid Electronic Column locks in there newer cars. Basically you take out the key a Steering locks,

You will hear and audible click after the key is removed from the ignition.

redblack
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
yeah, get that crappy passlock system checked out. its a commom fail item just like the lower intake manifold gasket

alloroc
01-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by hattonlynch
Hi all
First time poster here, I heard some of you guys would be able to help me out with my problem. I drive a 97 Grand Prix and today while I was driving (along with yesterday) the car shut off completely while I was driving (twice when it was a slow speed, under 30km and once when I was parked/it was ideling). Basically, the steering wheel locks up and I have to park it, then turn the ignition again and it works fine. When the car shuts off, the oil and battery lights both show up so I am unsure what it could be. Possibly electrical?

what does beyond think?

Sound like you need a mechanic because your call stalls. Could be a plethora of things make sure you find a trusted auto shop and take it in.

PS Your steering isn't locking up if you can turn it to park the car, it is just stiff because the engine is no longer turning the power steering pump.
The oil and battery lights are supposed to light up every time the engine is turned off and the ignition key is on. In fact before you engage your starter you should make sure these lights are working.

hattonlynch
01-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Sound like you need a mechanic because your call stalls. Could be a plethora of things make sure you find a trusted auto shop and take it in.

PS Your steering isn't locking up if you can turn it to park the car, it is just stiff because the engine is no longer turning the power steering pump.
The oil and battery lights are supposed to light up every time the engine is turned off and the ignition key is on. In fact before you engage your starter you should make sure these lights are working.
yeah when I start the car all the lights come on (battery, oil, seatbelts, etc). Starting at the bottom, I thought possibly some water or ice got into the fuel pump. I put in some gaslock antifreeze and hoped for the best. So far today, I have driven twice (roughly 30 mins each time) and have had no stalls.
Now I have another problem. Before I bought the car I made sure to (amongst other things) check the oil. It was ready to go and although I knew I would have to put in a bit once I had the car I was still getting a reading. Now I am not even getting a reading. I'll check the dipstick a couple times and won't get anything, then the next time I may get a reading. This occurs even after I put in an entire litre of oil. I'm just getting fuckin confused. I can't think of anything except maybe it is the wrong dipstick in there (but how did it work last time I tried it).

It is also a little wishy washy in terms of starting all the time. Sometimes it starts, sometimes I have to try it a couple times before it finally turns over. Looks like I will need a new ignition switch I'm guessing in a few months.
I checked out all these factors before I bought the car but it looks like I got a grade A lemon on my hands. There's no fucking way that all these problems occured once I started driving the car. No way.

Who out there knows a guy named Nittin? lol

alloroc
01-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by hattonlynch

yeah when I start the car all the lights come on (battery, oil, seatbelts, etc). Starting at the bottom, I thought possibly some water or ice got into the fuel pump. I put in some gaslock antifreeze and hoped for the best. So far today, I have driven twice (roughly 30 mins each time) and have had no stalls.
Now I have another problem. Before I bought the car I made sure to (amongst other things) check the oil. It was ready to go and although I knew I would have to put in a bit once I had the car I was still getting a reading. Now I am not even getting a reading. I'll check the dipstick a couple times and won't get anything, then the next time I may get a reading. This occurs even after I put in an entire litre of oil. I'm just getting fuckin confused. I can't think of anything except maybe it is the wrong dipstick in there (but how did it work last time I tried it).

It is also a little wishy washy in terms of starting all the time. Sometimes it starts, sometimes I have to try it a couple times before it finally turns over. Looks like I will need a new ignition switch I'm guessing in a few months.
I checked out all these factors before I bought the car but it looks like I got a grade A lemon on my hands. There's no fucking way that all these problems occured once I started driving the car. No way.

Who out there knows a guy named Nittin? lol

Phone a couple of the parts shops, there are a couple that may be willing to pull your engine codes for you for free. It may help pin down the phantom stalling.

As for the oil. Check the oil on a level surface after the car has been shut off for 5 minutes. Remember that if you put in oil the oil dripping down from the heads' oil galleries etc could drip on the dipstick. Again, give it five minutes after putting in a litre and check again to make sure you are topped up. You probably already know this but please make sure you do not check the engine oil with the engine running.

Does it burn blue? So you see oil on the snow under your car if it has been sitting for a while?

hattonlynch
01-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Phone a couple of the parts shops, there are a couple that may be willing to pull your engine codes for you for free. It may help pin down the phantom stalling.

As for the oil. Check the oil on a level surface after the car has been shut off for 5 minutes. Remember that if you put in oil the oil dripping down from the heads' oil galleries etc could drip on the dipstick. Again, give it five minutes after putting in a litre and check again to make sure you are topped up. You probably already know this but please make sure you do not check the engine oil with the engine running.

Does it burn blue? So you see oil on the snow under your car if it has been sitting for a while?
Dude that's what I'm so fucking confused about. There is zero oil on the snow underneath and the first time I waited 10 minutes;then I waited more then 30 mins and still nothing. Car was off yada yada yada. No blue smoke, etc etc

Where the fuck is the oil going?! lol

alloroc
01-23-2009, 07:04 PM
When the car is cooled off pop the rad cap and look for oil in the antifreeze.

mazda_maniac
01-24-2009, 10:40 AM
^ what he said, and take it in for a compression test.