PDA

View Full Version : need regesteration info

ak69
01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
i know this might sound stupid, but i realy need help.
my son wants to buy a new car by the end of this month
i cannot put it undermy name for such reasons, so i need to put it under his name.

he is 15 and obtains a class 7 learners license
is there any way possible?

thank you

rumeo
01-22-2009, 11:48 PM
cant register a car unless you have class 5?
he wont even be allowed to drive by himself?!

edit: are you really the 15 year old asking? you sure spell like a 15 yr old

ak69
01-22-2009, 11:54 PM
sorry my inglish isnt that great i came here only 2 years ago

i know he cant drive, but we had found a good deal on a lexus is 300 so we would like to purchace

can it just be regestered under his name?

The Cosworth
01-22-2009, 11:58 PM
read the post above.

No

You need to have a class 5 to get insurance and you need insurance to register.

ak69
01-23-2009, 12:02 AM
thank you very much for help:D

rumeo
01-23-2009, 01:10 AM
im sorry im having a hard time believing your not the 15 yr old.
I think only a 15 year old would pick the name "ak69".

If you really are an adult, why can't you just register the car in your own name?

dannie
01-23-2009, 10:08 AM
You guys are wrong. You don't even require a drivers licence to register a vehicle. As long as he can find an insurance company that will issue him insurance as a class 7 driver, he can register the vehicle in his name. A parent will have to come with him to the registry to sign consent as he is under 18 and its his first car.

Trini
01-23-2009, 10:11 AM
as we are on the topic of registering a car, I have a question.

So as we know in order to register a car you have to present to the registry
1)Bill of sale
2)Identification
3)Proof of insurance (pink slip)

regarding the insurance, what if the insurance company wants to do an inspection before they say yes they will insure the car. Would I have to drive it to their office or an inspection place?
How would I do that if the car isn't registered for the road yet?

Sorath
01-23-2009, 10:14 AM
u can get insurance and registration no problem. be prepared to pay alot though

alloroc
01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
I have an idea ...

Phone a registry and ask them. Oh wait, spelling would be a prerequisite to using google maps or the phone book now wouldn't it.

hmmm maybe dial 411 and ask them to give you a number.

alloroc
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
u can get insurance and registration no problem. be prepared to pay alot though

If the owner is 15 he can't drive it anyway so all he needs is fire/theft. Then he can get the pink slip have it registered by daddy and park it on the driveway so sit in and listen to the radio.

adam c
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
came here 2 years ago and can't even spell the word of the language you speak

ENLGISH

15yo fail

either that or you're trying to launder money

Sorath
01-23-2009, 10:29 AM
he can get full coverage even with a class 7

dannie
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Trini
as we are on the topic of registering a car, I have a question.

So as we know in order to register a car you have to present to the registry
1)Bill of sale
2)Identification
3)Proof of insurance (pink slip)

regarding the insurance, what if the insurance company wants to do an inspection before they say yes they will insure the car. Would I have to drive it to their office or an inspection place?
How would I do that if the car isn't registered for the road yet?

The other thing you will want to keep in mind, is whos name is everything in? If you have a bill of sale in your name, insurance with your wifes name on it and you come in to the registry; you wont be able to do the service because the names dont match on all your paperwork.

For the inspection question, most companies will give you a 30 day timeframe to get the car inspected. You would take them up on that grace period, get a pink slip, go the the registry and register it, then go get the inspection done.

Trini
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
^I see
thanks

friedn00dles
01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Class 7 drivers can be listed as primary drivers on any insurance policy.

With a Class 7, he can have his own insurance if he wishes. He will just be rated as a 0 insurance history and 0 years licenced.

i can tell you now that being 15 with no prior history driving a is300, his insurance will be through the roof unless u slap on a high deductible.

Masked Bandit
01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I can't believe all the bad info in this thread:

An insurance policy for a class 7 driver CAN be written PROVIDED that an adult (usually a parent) is listed as the primary driver. The policy will be priced based on the parent's driving record. It is done like this because Junior needs an adult in the car while he's driving anyway. Once Junior gets his license, the parent is removed from the policy and it is rerated based on Junior's record.

The Cosworth
01-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I can't believe all the bad info in this thread:

An insurance policy for a class 7 driver CAN be written PROVIDED that an adult (usually a parent) is listed as the primary driver. The policy will be priced based on the parent's driving record. It is done like this because Junior needs an adult in the car while he's driving anyway. Once Junior gets his license, the parent is removed from the policy and it is rerated based on Junior's record.

see i understood this but because the OP said that he couldnt register the car in his name I figured it would either be that he himself didnt have a class 5 or didnt want to be the primary driver.

So hence my answer of no. :D

friedn00dles
01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
ive written a couple policies for ING with class 7 15 -16 year olds as the primary driver and no other drivers.

my cousin himself was 15 with class 7 got insurance and was listed as the only primary driver of the vehicle due to my aunt being unable to drive for a year.

Class 7 has no restrictions on insurance rating, just the laws that upholds the licence. like i said he would be rated 0 on the grid and 0 on insurance history. he just needs a class 5 non GDL in the seat when he drives.

The parent whoever owns the vehicle would jsut be named on the policy itself to protect his/her's financial interest but not necessarily listed as a primary/occasional driver.

what i usually do is get the driver to sign a contract stating he/she is the only listed driver for the vehicle .

Masked Bandit
01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by friedn00dles
ive written a couple policies for ING with class 7 15 -16 year olds as the primary driver and no other drivers.

my cousin himself was 15 with class 7 got insurance and was listed as the only primary driver of the vehicle due to my aunt being unable to drive for a year.

Class 7 has no restrictions on insurance rating, just the laws that upholds the licence. like i said he would be rated 0 on the grid and 0 on insurance history. he just needs a class 5 non GDL in the seat when he drives.

E & O paid up?

rumeo
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

see i understood this but because the OP said that he couldnt register the car in his name I figured it would either be that he himself didnt have a class 5 or didnt want to be the primary driver.

So hence my answer of no. :D

this is my logic as well

Mibz
01-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by adam c

ENLGISH

15yo fail I LOLed

friedn00dles
01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
non what so ever. verified with managers just in case each time

GQBalla
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by adam c

ENLGISH

15yo fail

either that or you're trying to launder money

english :D

dannie
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
So, there you go I guess. There are no restrictions against someone his age getting insurance (other than parental consent and a crap load of money), and no issues with registering it in his name. So the answer to the OP's question, is yes... your kid can be insured and registered under only his name.

Masked Bandit
01-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by friedn00dles
non what so ever. verified with managers just in case each time

Just because it can be entered on Savers doesn't mean it's going to stand up in a claim. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything but I've been doing this a LONG time and I can tell you, getting dragged through an E & O is not fun at all. Don't think the company won't throw you under the bus if the money gets big enough.

friedn00dles
01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
oh i understand that, took me a while to also understand insuring class 7's when i first started. i spoke with my underwriters obvisouly prior to binding just so i can avoid causing problems.

ShermanEF9
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
all you have to do is register it in your name, then when he gets his class 5 you verbally "sell" the car to him.

BlueGoblin
01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Perhaps the OP should cure whatever is preventing him from registering a car in the first place.

I suspect that he has either a suspension of his license or perhaps has accumulated outstanding fines which has lost him his registry privileges.

Trying to 'beat the system' often results in finding far worse trouble than you were originally in.

Masked Bandit
01-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin
Perhaps the OP should cure whatever is preventing him from registering a car in the first place.

I suspect that he has either a suspension of his license or perhaps has accumulated outstanding fines which has lost him his registry privileges.

Trying to 'beat the system' often results in finding far worse trouble than you were originally in.

I was thinking that earlier but I like to "give a man enough rope" and let him finish himself off.

ak69
01-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by rumeo
im sorry im having a hard time believing your not the 15 yr old.
I think only a 15 year old would pick the name "ak69".

If you really are an adult, why can't you just register the car in your own name?

my older son had it so he told me to put a blog up about the question

because i have tax issuses and i cannot afford to put it under my name since i am taking an english coarse