bart
10-05-2003, 10:02 PM
will this work on shaw?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3050568162&category=39803

just curious, lol.

sputnik
10-06-2003, 09:16 AM
they "work"

but only for a while... the filter basically stops the billing from going through and after a couple dozen orders your digital cable box locks up and you have to get a new one from shaw... and then they bill you for everything "stuck" on the box.

shaw is well aware of these and when a box suddenly "dies" they know to look for old orders on the DCT.

there were also rumours that you could "reset" the box and erase the memory... but they arent true.

better off spending the $5.99 on a movie from blockbuster.

Davetronz
10-06-2003, 09:20 AM
What exactly is it? (like what is is made up of)
And what does it do?

3G
10-06-2003, 10:22 AM
It won't lock up your box

rage2
10-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Your box doesn't get locked up, that is true. What happens is the cable company will notice that there's no data sent from the customer box and just shut off service. To resume service, either bring the box back to the cable company (get charged for the PPVs), or remove the filter, in which case the box starts to talk to the cable company and the PPV's get charged.

As for erasing the memory, the data is stored on an encrypted microprocessor in the box. The only way to "erase" the memory is if you knew the encryption keys required to send the proper encrypted command sequence to delete the movies (which the cable company sends to you once they receive the PPV purchases). Since only the cable company has those keys, you're SOL :).

bart
10-06-2003, 11:51 AM
ok, so that covers ppv. what about non-ppv channels that you have to pay for, for example all those premiere movie channels that run contantly?

rage2
10-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by bart
ok, so that covers ppv. what about non-ppv channels that you have to pay for, for example all those premiere movie channels that run contantly?
You don't get those unless u pay for them. The channels are all encrypted, so unless you pay for them, you won't get the proper "keys" to view the channel.

The filter doesn't generate keys or any data on the cable line... it just filters out communications from your box to the cable company to trick it into not sending billing data back. To the end user, they wont get billed... but the box WILL get turned off.

bart
10-06-2003, 07:02 PM
so i've been doing some more thinking, what if i was to buy another digital terminal, use one only with that filter, the other, without? just use the filter only when i want ppv, and switch boxes when i dont.

jdmakkord
10-06-2003, 07:05 PM
You are better off getting dishnet or even BEV(if you want local) and doing a little modifying;)

szw
10-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
even BEV(if you want local) and doing a little modifying;)

Elaborate! now!

edit: please?:D

rage2
10-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Careful guys, any illegal talk and I'm going to delete the posts.

Anyways, bart, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 2 or 3 terminals. As soon as any one of 'em doesn't communicate back to the head office, it gets shut off. There's no ways around it.

The digital cable box is a very secure system thanks to it's ability to force 2 way communications.

jdmakkord
10-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Careful guys, any illegal talk and I'm going to delete the posts.

Anyways, bart, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 2 or 3 terminals. As soon as any one of 'em doesn't communicate back to the head office, it gets shut off. There's no ways around it.

The digital cable box is a very secure system thanks to it's ability to force 2 way communications.

Come on now ......., I didn't say anything.....now did I? :D

bart
10-06-2003, 07:46 PM
hmm, ok, thanks for the advice rage.

as to sats, talking about directv isnt illegal in canada if you're burning your own sim cards. some guy in toronto won a court appeal. since directv doesnt have a contract with canadians in broadcasting its signal, its making no revenue. this means it isnt really losing any in canada that is if someone decides to grab their signal. its just hard to get directv dishes here, but not really. once you do that, you're set.

thats enough from me on that topic. :)