PDA

View Full Version : Carrol Shelby Suing Factory Five & FFCobra.com

Eleanor
01-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Carroll Shelby is suing long-standing Shelby Cobra and Daytona Coupe-replica kit car maker Factory Five, an associated fan forum and a California-based builder for trademark infringement of names and vehicles. A fan forum? Yup.

The lawsuit against Factory Five, FFCobra.com and LK Motorsports alleges the websites of all three entities, which it claims are agents of each other, all make unauthorized use of the “Cobra,” “Shelby,” and “Daytona Coupe” trademarks and several other less common ones like “427.”

There’s three interesting things here. First, Factory Five, among many other similar companies, is a long-standing manufacturer of Shelby Cobra look-a-like kits. So why Carroll Shelby has waited until now to sue is puzzling, especially since he’s encountered the replicas at many public events. Second, with the exception of the physical resemblance of the replica’s to vehicles produced by Shelby, the alleged trademark violations all seem fairly minor to us, existing in minor pieces of text and, as cited many times, in the Metatags of the defendants’ websites. The lawsuit cites that usage as, “a design to conceal their use…a knowing disregard for the Plaintiff’s rights, and also demonstrates…malice, willfulness, and fraud.” Third, we're not entirely certain FFCobra.com is an agent of Factory Five. In fact, it seems pretty clear they're advertisers and not owners of the site. If that were the case, then blueovalforums.com would be owned by Ford.

While we don’t argue that Factory Five’s vehicles are intentionally intended to look exactly like the famous vehicles of Caroll Shelby, we’re extremely puzzled as to why he’s decided to sue the company, its owner forum and California based builder now. Factory Five has been in the business of building Cobra replicas since 1995 and is only one of many companies doing so. Does Shelby plan to sue every replica maker and garage builder in the country? Or, more unbelievably, every website devoted to discussing his legendary automobiles or their replicas? It’s the selectiveness of this lawsuit that puzzles us in addition to the inclusion of the owner fan forum. Actions like this can only serve to alienate his fans and customers.

http://jalopnik.com/5136099/shelby-suing-factory-five-fan-forum-for-trademark-infringements

Here's the thread on FFCobra.com:

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206492

Xtrema
01-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Ah, Shelby must have just figured out what this whole internet thing is about.

:rofl:

The Cosworth
01-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Old man gotta get paid since ford hasnt made any sales.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-23-2009, 09:38 AM
:facepalm: I used to like Shelby, now I can't wait for him to die so we can all forget what a crotchety old asshole he is and go back to liking him.

Eleanor
01-23-2009, 09:48 AM
^ :rofl:

That's what Ken said too:

"his senility is making enemies everywhere and he's dragging his own name through the mud with frivolous lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit. it's probably past time for cs to go to the great racetrack in the sky"

HHURICANE1
01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Actually, in recent years he has been stepping up his protection of the trademarks he owns. If you don't actively protect them you can loose them in the States. I can't say that I can blame him. It is no different than if you built something, trademarked it and patented it and then some asshat cam along and started making cheap copies of it using your designs and trademarks. I think you would be pretty pissed too.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
Actually, in recent years he has been stepping up his protection of the trademarks he owns. If you don't actively protect them you can loose them in the States. I can't say that I can blame him. It is no different than if you built something, trademarked it and patented it and then some asshat cam along and started making cheap copies of it using your designs and trademarks. I think you would be pretty pissed too.

Shelby didn't protect his trademark for 19 years, his sudden desire to sue over it won't hold up in court.

treg50
01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Even if it doesn't hold up in court, if those guys are real fans as opposed to cheap ass bastards copying the work of a master for free for several years hopefully they can come to an agreement based on respect and honour.

Smells like dickshit lawyers are behind this. Trying to 'create' work for themselves.

sputnik
01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Anyone else use ZMax?

spiffyguido
01-23-2009, 01:48 PM
CS is sinking to new lows. Proof that you can start out as a solid guy and slowly reduce yourself to a Grade A douche. So sad.

Someone should notify AutoBlog about this.

DonJuan
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Anyone else use ZMax?

You keep that copyright enfringement snake oil to yourself.

(Oh no am I guilty of defamation now?)

chkolny541
01-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
:facepalm: I used to like Shelby, now I can't wait for him to die so we can all forget what a crotchety old asshole he is and go back to liking him.

X2, he's really begun to give himself a very negative image

vrsc400
02-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Hes just sad his money is drying up in the terrible US economy
maybe he should not have invested so much in diapers for middle aged men and focus more on toothpaste and dentures