PDA

View Full Version : looking to go from 130 to 145-150...

Kennyredline
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
I've been working out since the beginning of the year, I'm pretty slight; 5'6", 130 lbs, but a great physique. I'm looking to add muscle mass, up to about 145-150 lbs, I'm on a protien/carb watching diet, any suggestions to help add the weight? Has anyone been in my situation and had good results from a training program or diet? I work out 3-4 times a week, doing one specific muscle group per workout(one day biceps, next day triceps....) and I'm doing the 1g-of-protien-for-each-pound-of my goal weight thing...

FLARE
01-23-2009, 12:29 PM
eat 3 times as much as your used to... do practically no cardio and wear a 60lb backpack everywhere.. and workout harder.

teggypimp95
01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
When i started working out not too long ago I was 140 pounds and 6 feet tall.

I work out about 4-5 times a week, concentration on 2 muscle groups a day.

Heavy Weight - low reps

bi's and tri's
Chest and back
Legs and shoulders

You can do abs everyday because your abs can take a beating.

Then after 6 weeks or whatever you feel is right for you ( to keep your body from platueing) switch it up.

bi's and back
tri's and chest
Legs and shoulders.

Eating lots will give you the most gain, i also take 1 or 2 proteins shakes (muscle juice) Per day.

Once you have gotten a good handle on gaining and routeins, you can introduce things like creatine. Taken before and after work outs.

You will always need to be switching up your routein at the gym. A good mix of free weights and cable weights.

Later down the road you can try full days of one mucsle group or super sets will always give you a nice muscle burn.

I have been doing this and gained about 20 pounds so far. Could of gained alot more if i could be more religious with my protien shakes and eating alot bigger meals.

Do next to no cardio for now. (a little on legs day to help warm up is fine)

You can do some cardio later on as well when you need to start toning up.

Thought id just share some tips from my experince so far. Hope it helps.

jav_
01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
squats

A790
01-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Why are you isolating muscle groups when you don't have a solid muscle base? You want big lifts: squats, dead lifts, bench press, chin ups, dips, presses, etc. Get rid of your isolation exercises.

Seriously, that and diet is all you need. Make sure you are clean bulking and you'll be fine.

Wildcat
01-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Eat enough for two people and train twice as hard as everyone else. You'll grow, its that simple.

WWJAI
01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
When i started working out not too long ago I was 140 pounds and 6 feet tall.

Damn, that sounds dangerously unhealthy. But for skinny individuals, with very quick metabolism, they have to do absolutely no cardio and just lift weights and they'll still look toned.

gen2teggy
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
im 5'6 122 pounds
no matter how much i eat and i eat like a cow...i cant seem to gain anything.
i should try a workout routine. If i have time too do anything.

teggypimp95
01-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI

Damn, that sounds dangerously unhealthy. But for skinny individuals, with very quick metabolism, they have to do absolutely no cardio and just lift weights and they'll still look toned.

It may sound unheathly but BMI was just fine, I looked more than 140 but i dident have much muscle mass on me.

I do have a crazy fast metabolism. So you just need to work twice as hard, and eat twice as much to over come that. Its like swimming agaist a strong current.

Kennyredline
01-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by gen2teggy
im 5'6 122 pounds
no matter how much i eat and i eat like a cow...i cant seem to gain anything.
i should try a workout routine. If i have time too do anything.

I'm the same way, it's hard for me to gain weight unless I train, but building muscle is better than getting fat anyway!

Kennyredline
01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by A790
Why are you isolating muscle groups when you don't have a solid muscle base? You want big lifts: squats, dead lifts, bench press, chin ups, dips, presses, etc. Get rid of your isolation exercises.

Seriously, that and diet is all you need. Make sure you are clean bulking and you'll be fine.

Well, I like to work one muscle group at a time, so I don't use up energy working different muscle groups, I'd like to focus on building one at a time, and putting all my energy for that workout into that muscle group.

GQBalla
01-23-2009, 02:07 PM
for me i was 130 when i left high school, 4 years ago.

im now 170 and 5`8

i managed to get to 150 just about last year, than i got a DT job and ate fastfood and all that shit and gained 5 pounds and 2 inches on my waist.

I went back down to 145 just before july 08, than started working out like crazy and eating like a pic, whatever i could eat i ate.

went to 172, and that was working out 3 times a week and only doing isolation exercises (my mistake sure i made really good gains but if i had done big compound exercises.

i made the mistake and had the mentality that i needed to do lots of exercises, like taking 2 hours of just working on your chest and tris, with a 2 minute rest between sets. And i would do no cardio.

now i work out for an hour and 15 minutes of that is cardio. And i have already noticed gains already.

up to you, i made crazy newbie gains during july 08 to january 09 with my old way of working out.

listen to everyone when they say compound.

buh_buh
01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
like others have said, EAT, focus on compound exercises until you have a decent base, and EAT.

GQBalla
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
+1 for compound.

you know whats really funny though.

when i bench press more than i can squat and deadlift.

its pretty embarassing ahahah, but that will soon change

Kennyredline
01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
So I'm hearing a lot of doing more than one muscle group per workout? I mean, I don't spent a ton of time on the one muscle group I am working, maybe 2-3 different exercises. I am eating more, I've been told I should be taking in about 1700-1750 calories a day, my BMI is usually around 1450 or so.

Darkane
01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

Well, I like to work one muscle group at a time, so I don't use up energy working different muscle groups, I'd like to focus on building one at a time, and putting all my energy for that workout into that muscle group.

Sure that's reasonable. Why are you asking advice then?

If it works then do it, if not then listen to the advice.

By the way, most every routines will work if you eat enough. Skinny guys who say they eat a lot usually eat like fucking junior high girls.

Eating to gain involves dedication. Put down 7 meals a day. Also an apple and a protein bar isn't a meal. 7 oz of Sirloin steak, 2 bananas, 2 apples is a meal.

Eat up

Darkane
01-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I am eating more, I've been told I should be taking in about 1700-1750 calories a day, my BMI is usually around 1450 or so.

Is that for real? Who told you that?

I'm cutting eating 2800-3000 cals/day. You should be eating 3 times your amount to bulk.

teggypimp95
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
ya 1700-1750 is not nearly enought.

Just in my 2 protein shakes alone i am getting about 2300. You are going to need a ton more callories then what your use to if you expect to gain. PLus if your working out hard, you will be burning alot of callories then so you need to make up for that.

2-3 diffent exercises a day is ok if your just starting out.

Like said above do a little of everything each day to get your body conditioned.

The focus on 2 muscle groups a day and do at least 4 differnt exercises at least. Doing the most weight u can handle 8-10reps, 3 sets.

if you cant shift from first to second driving home from the gym becuase your arms are dead, then you have done a good job :)

Kennyredline
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Is that for real? Who told you that?

I'm cutting eating 2800-3000 cals/day. You should be eating 3 times your amount to bulk.

My personal trainer told me that. I can't eat more than I am... most times it's enough trying to get the 1700 calories down as it is...I just can't fit in that much food!

Wildcat
01-23-2009, 02:58 PM

My personal trainer told me that. I can't eat more than I am... most times it's enough trying to get the 1700 calories down as it is...I just can't fit in that much food!

Then you will always be small. Man up and eat you vagine

A790
01-23-2009, 03:04 PM

That's fine when you've got the muscle to define/tone, but at 140 there's no way. Compound exercises work more muscle groups and build more mass. You want to build mass right now. Compound!

Man, go to any body building website/forum and it always comes down to the same thing: compound and EAT.

Originally posted by GQBalla
+1 for compound.

you know whats really funny though.

when i bench press more than i can squat and deadlift.

its pretty embarassing ahahah, but that will soon change
Haha I was benching more than I was squatting until last week :)

KRyn
01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
You are on a diet and you are 130lbs? Holy christ guy you need to go and eat some fucking cheese burgers. Gaining weight has more to do with how much you eat then how you train. You need to increase your calorie intake huge. Like Dark said chances are you eat like a bitch little guy. Also what the fuck are you doing spending an entire day in the gym training a muscle group like triceps or biceps. No wonder you have not grown at all. Why don't you try spending an entire day squatting, deadlifting or bench pressing? Heavy and compound is the way to go if you want to put on mass.

Try a 4 day split like suggested above
Day 1) Chest and Triceps
Day 2) Back and Biceps
Day 5) Legs
Day 6) Shoulders

Remember always start with the heavier more compound exercise before you go to isolation stuff i.e. do bench press before a tricep pull down.

teggypimp you are using a weight gainer not a protein shake. Huge difference MJ (Muscle Juice) has a 4carb to 1protein ratio. This is kind of shitty unless you are modifying your diet accordingly or are a hard gainer. In which case go nuts and drink this shit up because any kind of calorie is a good calorie in that case. If I where you I would switch to a weight gainer with a 1carb to 1protein ratio. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for. There is also lots of sugar in MJ.

sputnik
01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm on a protien/carb watching diet, any suggestions to help add the weight?

Make sure you are consuming enough calories. Don't watch your diet unless you are trying to lose weight.

sputnik
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
So I'm hearing a lot of doing more than one muscle group per workout? I mean, I don't spent a ton of time on the one muscle group I am working, maybe 2-3 different exercises. I am eating more, I've been told I should be taking in about 1700-1750 calories a day, my BMI is usually around 1450 or so.

You should probably bump that up to at least 2200-2500 calories per day.

You probably burn 1750-2000 by doing very little. Add working out to that and you wont gain any weight.

Darkane
01-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Yeah, sorry but that's reality. You can't gain without excess calories.

It's so simple I can't iterate it any better.

Calories in must be GREATER than calories expended.

So many people never gain and it's because they're not eating enough. Force feed yourself, you'll adjust. Slowly, 200 calories a week even. Shit in 2 months you're now eating twice as much as before. Think about it.

teggypimp95
01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
You are on a diet and you are 130lbs? Holy christ guy you need to go and eat some fucking cheese burgers. Gaining weight has more to do with how much you eat then how you train. You need to increase your calorie intake huge. Like Dark said chances are you eat like a bitch little guy. Also what the fuck are you doing spending an entire day in the gym training a muscle group like triceps or biceps. No wonder you have not grown at all. Why don't you try spending an entire day squatting, deadlifting or bench pressing? Heavy and compound is the way to go if you want to put on mass.

Try a 4 day split like suggested above
Day 1) Chest and Triceps
Day 2) Back and Biceps
Day 5) Legs
Day 6) Shoulders

Remember always start with the heavier more compound exercise before you go to isolation stuff i.e. do bench press before a tricep pull down.

teggypimp you are using a weight gainer not a protein shake. Huge difference MJ (Muscle Juice) has a 4carb to 1protein ratio. This is kind of shitty unless you are modifying your diet accordingly or are a hard gainer. In which case go nuts and drink this shit up because any kind of calorie is a good calorie in that case. If I where you I would switch to a weight gainer with a 1carb to 1protein ratio. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for. There is also lots of sugar in MJ.

Yeah i hear ya. I have talked to many different people and everyone points me to the muscel juice. I think it was awesome to gain mass with but i am thinking of switch soon. Its protein is very high in it though, (56g) it also has no suger in it, i believe its naturally sweetened.

I know i have a crazy Metabolism and i dont eat as much as i should ( i am getting alot better though).

Any you would suggest? Its almost time for my next tub anyway.

Darkane
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Yeah i hear ya. I have talked to many different people and everyone points me to the muscel juice. I think it was awesome to gain mass with but i am thinking of switch soon. Its protein is very high in it though, (56g) it also has no suger in it, i believe its naturally sweetened.

I know i have a crazy Metabolism and i dont eat as much as i should ( i am getting alot better though).

That protein isn't that high. Are you looking for a weight gainer? Just use food.

Use regular Whey Isolate. On top of that eat two tablespoons of peanut butter, and a tablespoon of olive oil.

That's a good low carb calorie dense SNACK, repeat snack, not a meal. This is in between the 6 meals a day ;)

Damn you skinny guys, from everything I've read over the years only like 1-3% of the population are true hard gainers. Every other skinny fuck just needs to eat. And because of that they add lean mass year round instead of bulking - cutting like some of us, note: me :D

Kennyredline
01-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Make sure you are consuming enough calories. Don't watch your diet unless you are trying to lose weight.

When I said I was watching my diet, I meant I was doing 5 meals a day, taking in the right amount of carbs, protien, etc..not "watching my weight" by any means, except to get bigger.

Darkane
01-23-2009, 10:10 PM

When I said I was watching my diet, I meant I was doing 5 meals a day, taking in the right amount of carbs, protien, etc..not "watching my weight" by any means, except to get bigger.

How do you know what the right amount is?

Truth is man, you won't make progress if training or diet is not on.

Train hard and eat. You must. Like every two hours, stuffing you face, eating past bloating, feeling like garbage. But you adjust.

Only this way will you add mass. Lifting and training is not for everyone. If It was there would be a lot more muscle walking around.

JNeil
01-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Dude I'm on the same boat as you, 5'10" 139 lbs when i started trying to gain 5 months ago. I'm 155lbs now and all I've done is stuff my face and compound workouts, squats and deadlifts arent the only thing you can do.
Chinups or lat pulldowns are great, cable rows are another great compound exercise.

Everyone says do high weights low reps and thats exactly what you should do. HOWEVER, DO NOT do weights that your body cant handle. Never sacrifice form for heavier weights, I always see people at the gym squatting more than they can just to look strong but they cant get down far enough to get a great workout.

Also, in my opinion completely erase isolation workouts until you have a muscle base like the other guys are saying. Don't do bicep curls even though they are so much fun.

If you are serious about gaining some weight or are looking for a basic workout routine go to chapters and buy "Built for Show" by Nate Green, he does a good job of explaining how to bulk up and gives a seasonal workout routine. So different workouts for fall winter summer and spring, theres another thread here (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/248284/skinny-guys-read-this/) about it.

Thats my 2 cents, also McDonals double cheeseburgers can help you put alot of weight for cheap if you're desperate or broke like most post-secondary students (such as myself).

theken
01-24-2009, 12:55 AM
nates book is a for sure read, i am fat and have been doing it for a few weeks, i do cardio on my off days, and have noticed bigger muscles already, and have gained strength. I also leave the gym sweating my bag off every time.

Kennyredline
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Well, thanks for all the input guys, I guess it's time to have sumpin' to eat! lol

civicrider
01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
yup its all about the (good) food, i was 128lbs and 5 10 working out for a year maybe got 2lbs so i quit

three months ago i got back into the gym this time eating a lot more and better, already 155lbs and i did not change much in my workout

Dumbass17
01-27-2009, 10:03 PM
hmmm maybe i need to eat more too haha

pattyt
01-27-2009, 11:49 PM

If your planning on cutting down at all, Precision iso pro low carb, thats what ive been on for the last past while. As for anyone gaining, my buddy was taking quickmass for a while. Dont know how good it really is but he gained about 20 pounds in 2 months.

GQBalla
01-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by A790

Haha I was benching more than I was squatting until last week :)

lol looks like we're in the same boat, got to work more legs

Little Dragon
01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

lol looks like we're in the same boat, got to work more legs

ATG Squats! :thumbsup:

lint
01-28-2009, 11:22 AM
WTF? How is it possible to bench more than you squat?

teggypimp95
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by pattyt

If your planning on cutting down at all, Precision iso pro low carb, thats what ive been on for the last past while. As for anyone gaining, my buddy was taking quickmass for a while. Dont know how good it really is but he gained about 20 pounds in 2 months.

I dont think i will be cutting down, at least not yet. Im pretty toned as it is.

I was thinking of switching to quickmass for a while. I have been using muscle juice and have not been to happy with it. My buddy used quickmass and got good results for sure. Maybe i will give that a go before a switch to a low carb protein.

GQBalla
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by lint
WTF? How is it possible to bench more than you squat?

its called a upside down triangle. LOL

embarrasing

Little Dragon
01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I've been working out since the beginning of the year, I'm pretty slight; 5'6", 130 lbs, but a great physique. I'm looking to add muscle mass, up to about 145-150 lbs,

Also, theres another guy on here with the same stats and goals as you. Hes starting up his own journal with routine and everything.
I think his username is TripleT

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/249942/triples-workout-journal/

Might wanna check that out and follow along, his routine looks pretty solid.

Diesel2005
02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
If you guys are looking to gain weight, I suggest buying "Allmax Quickmass."

I bought this weight gainer exactly 14 days ago and it gives you 1010 calories per serving. They suggest 4 scoops per serving but i'm only taking 2 scoops per serving twice a day. Awesome stuff if you want to gain weight, it also tastes great.
It's not loaded with sugar either. It's a very good way to add some extra calories.

Kennyredline
02-05-2009, 01:05 PM

How do you know what the right amount is?

Truth is man, you won't make progress if training or diet is not on.

Train hard and eat. You must. Like every two hours, stuffing you face, eating past bloating, feeling like garbage. But you adjust.

Only this way will you add mass. Lifting and training is not for everyone. If It was there would be a lot more muscle walking around.

The right amount will give me what I want to weigh, like a goal weight...if I wanna get to 140, I need to get in 140g of protein a day. The body can only absorb 30-40g of protein at a time, the rest turns to fat, or just gets wasted. That Muscle Juice is too much protien and fat for me. I want to gain muscle mass, not get fat.

GQBalla
02-05-2009, 01:07 PM

The right amount will give me what I want to weigh, like a goal weight...if I wanna get to 140, I need to get in 140g of protein a day. The body can only absorb 30-40g of protein at a time, the rest turns to fat, or just gets wasted. That Muscle Juice is too much protien and fat for me. I want to gain muscle mass, not get fat.

source?

fat flexs remember :D

Darkane
02-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Sorry bro but that's just not true. That's a wives tale.

Protein doesn't "spill" over like carbs do. The body doesn't like converting protein to glucose. If you train hard and regular (and rest enough to be recovered) the protein will always be put to work.

But, don't believe me.. or you could just try it for a month? What's a month? Try eating 2g protein for every pound you weigh. Come back here and post your 5 pound gain, or more.

GQBalla
02-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Protein doesn't "spill" over like carbs do. The body doesn't like converting protein to glucose. If you train hard and regular (and rest enough to be recovered) the protein will always be put to work.

thats what i was always lead to believe - good to know hehe

mdeleon
02-07-2009, 05:51 AM
I used to think like this. "No matter how much i eat, I can't gain weight" Until I actually started eating. Pretty much eat until you wanna puke, every 2-3 hours. It's hard at first, but as already stated, you get accustomed to it. The downside is, you start to love to eat and whenever it gets to the point to start cutting and eating cleaner/portion, it's a whole new ball game. It definatley is easier to bulk up than to tone/cut. Oh, and when I was researching on bulking up, I read to have 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Also, 17xx calories really IS very low, like everyone already said. You may not know it, but you're probably already eating that in 2-3 meals, depending how much you eat, I used to be able to eat around 1200 in one meal. And if your trainer is telling you this, why would you need any help from here? Seems like you need to stop paying for this trainer of yours and invest that money in food!

So I have 2 10lbs tubs of QuickMass here at home, chocolate flavored. Both are already open, one of them has less than half left, and the other one is pretty much still full. The reason why both are open is because my roomate and I were both using QuickMass at the same time and not knowing it. Anyways, the first person interested in it can have both for free since we don't use it anymore. I used to use Muscle Juice, and compared to QuickMass, it's definatley inferior. QuickMass has less sugar and tastes way better. The only downside is, it's pretty hard to drink if you put 4 scoops in, even with just water, it becomes pretty thick and unless you love chocolate milkshakes like from Peters Drive-In then it'll be difficult so either split it to 2 scoops, more often during the day or just do what I did and suck it up and just drink the damn thing haha. Flavor is enhanced when using milk, but also becomes even thicker, ESPECIALLY if you use homo milk.

So I repeat, The first one to PM me and ask for it get both tubs, FREE. No catch, just being a generous motherfucker. But, I'm leaving for Mexico tomorrow and won't be back until the 15th so I won't be replying until then.