PDA

View Full Version : Telemarketers

urban.one
01-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Anyone here ever bought anything from a telemarketer? Anyone even know anyone whos bought something?

I dont know anyone in my family or friends thats bought anything from a telemarketer. Even growing up as a kid I remember my parents playing games with telemarketers when they called or just hanging up on them.

In highschool, I had a friend who had a part time job telemarketing. The product he sold was meat - bulk frozen meat products. Who would buy meat from a telemarketer?

I know some telemarketers are scams like the "you won a cruise" but for people selling actual products or services, who buys this sh!t???

trevh
01-23-2009, 12:33 PM
They continue to phone our house! Never bought anything from them. We were put on that 'National Do Not Call" list, that shit doesn't work.
I'm to the point now that I let them say what they have to say and at the end tell them I'm not interested, just to piss them off.

Super_Geo
01-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I try to pick out their accent (if they have one) and say terribly racist things to them. If they don't have an accent, just bring up 9/11 and ask them if they agree with you that the people in the building deserved it, and why the media calls them 'terrorists' when really they're heroes.

If they're female, well... that's a gimmie. I've had one hang up in under 10 seconds.

I haven't found any real way to make them stop calling and I figure they already have me on the phone... the game is either to see how quickly they hang up, or how long they stay on and take the abuse

Jeremiah
01-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I try to pick out their accent (if they have one) and say terribly racist things to them. If they don't have an accent, just bring up 9/11 and ask them if they agree with you that the people in the building deserved it, and why the media calls them 'terrorists' when really they're heroes.

If they're female, well... that's a gimmie. I've had one hang up in under 10 seconds.

I haven't found any real way to make them stop calling and I figure they already have me on the phone... the game is either to see how quickly they hang up, or how long they stay on and take the abuse

fucking sweet. im doing that again.

the scary thing is a lot of people that call from "great cars and trucks' are a bunch of skeezy fags, one time i cussed out the guy and he got all fucking pissed and said he was going to kill me. He also called me another 10 times in a row

CUG
01-23-2009, 01:01 PM

I haven't found any real way to make them stop calling and I figure they already have me on the phone... the game is either to see how quickly they hang up, or how long they stay on and take the abuse That.

Skyline_Addict
01-23-2009, 01:03 PM
lol ya, it's so brutal. they are relentless now, calling as late as 9pm and even calling on weekends. when i come home to check messages, i have 9 messages on my machine, all playback the same hanging-up-sound.

some of them are so fuckin stupid too. i remember one of them asking if I had previously lived in another part of the world, for a reason i can't remember.

"I lived in south east asia for 3 years."
"I'm sorry. south croatia?"
"No. SOUTH...EAST....AY...SHA"
"SOUTH...CRO...AY...TIA?"

fuckin' just hung up. now i just hang up right away everytime i get a call.

n1zm0
01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
i do some stores ordering for an aircraft maintenance company every now and then.

Alot of american companies call and sell you shit without you even knowing it, they talk so damned fast and then in the end in clear/slow audible english the guy or chick says:

'so i have you down for one bottle of aircraft degreaser and a subscription of 2 more bottles every 3 months and i'll send you the bill along with your new order'

by the end of it, realizing that 'I' just placed an order, i just say 'i'm going to have to confirm this with my GM, infact, i can let you talk to him', they usually say 'uhhh have a good day sir' right after that.

on the other hand i have done phone surveys for big companies like Aviall (Dallas, TX) and Teledyne Continental ( Mobile, Alabama), the people are really nice and all but for the life of me i can't understand anything from that thick accent, it usually ends with me answering yes for every question

Mckenzie
01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't mind the ones from Telus / Shaw or my bank even as sometimes they have been helpful reducing billing costs, etc.

However, the worst ones are the CC companies that always try and sell you that extra balance protection coverage crap.

em2ab
01-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Someone post the video from Boiler Room.

EK 2.0
01-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

However, the worst ones are the CC companies that always try and sell you that extra balance protection coverage crap.

And for me, being an ex-salesperson...I was trained and even and am also very quick with over coming objections...these people are not at all...haha...

Sometimes I take a few mins to ask them if they are new and if they are try to offer them help in dealing with certain customers and objections they will encounter haha...

Swank
01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I've never heard of anyone buying anything either, but someone must, why else would anyone run one of those? My cell calls have really ramped up, and it's a corporate cell phone, so we're raising hell with the carriers to see what they can do.

Super_Geo
01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Sometimes I take a few mins to ask them if they are new and if they are try to offer them help in dealing with certain customers and objections they will encounter haha...

Yeah it's always important to build rapport...

Me: So where are you guys based out of?
Female telemarketer: Oh we're in Ottawa! (cheery)
Me: Oh... I was arrested there for rape a couple years back.
Female telemarketer: ....
Me: But you should've seen what she was wearing... totally asking for it! Am I right or what?!!

... *click*

LadyLuck
01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
I had a guy from RBC Royal Bank call me last night.
I dont mind it when they call, if they have something good to offer I usually go for it.

I was on the phone with him for a good 10 minutes as he was trying to explain some new insurance policy...He was either NEW or was having a really bad day. Poor guy couldnt stop stuttering and took forever to explain it.

I let him finish and later declined as I am currently trying to cut my costs, he kept apologizing since I had a hard time understanding what he was trying to say.

In the end, he was very appreciative that I didnt hang up on him and let him finish.

Since we added our phone number to the "do not call list" we havent had any calls from other telemarketing companies.

Eleanor
01-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I just hang up.

rumeo
01-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I just speak in a different language

03ozwhip
01-23-2009, 04:13 PM
i used to be a telemarketer back in 95-97. i was selling bio-degradable garbage bags if you believe that. for 40 bucks you get 100 garbage bags and an environmentally safe shoulder bag!

i sold ALOT of this and was actually the best salesman in the company for a while, not bad for a 15-17 year old. my trick was that i would stutter and always say its my first day, would get people all the time.

now, im getting it and i dont understand what the hell i did this for, ive heard "this is my first day" a few times and i just laugh. i was fucked around with alot when i was doing this but i dont USUALLY do it to anyone, ill just say "fuck off, quit calling me" then they call back the next day. you cant get away from it....

corrode
01-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Yeah it's always important to build rapport...

Me: So where are you guys based out of?
Female telemarketer: Oh we're in Ottawa! (cheery)
Me: Oh... I was arrested there for rape a couple years back.
Female telemarketer: ....
Me: But you should've seen what she was wearing... totally asking for it! Am I right or what?!!

... *click*

This made me laugh out loud. I don't have the balls to try this myself.

Canmorite
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
Someone post the video from Boiler Room.

sW-PHukzdgM

LadyLuck
01-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
my trick was that i would stutter and always say its my first day, would get people all the time.

BASTARD! :rofl:
see my post above!

03ozwhip
01-24-2009, 12:37 AM
haha ya, its an old trick but reading that, i dont think thats what he was trying to do, its just the scum telemarketers that sell ridiculous crap like biodegradable garbage bags that usually do that.