PDA

View Full Version : Triple's Workout Journal

TripleT
01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I haven't seen many journals on here, so I thought I might as well start one up to keep track of my progress. :)

I'll be posting my diet here each and every day.

Feel free to chip in with tips or suggestions! :thumbsup:

Stats:
Weight: 125lbs
Height: 5'6

Progress Pics:
Coming very soon!

Goals:
- Correct form for ALL excercises. Mainly Squats/Deads/Incline Bench
- Get my weight up to at least 145lbs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Routine:

**MONDAY - LEGS**
Box Squats - 4x5 (conditioning my glutes right now so I can actually go ALL the way DOWN with real squats)
Leg Press - 2x20 (first 10-15 reps should be easy, I'll have to grind out the rest slowly)
Hyperextensions - 3x8
Hip Abductor - 1x20
Hip Adductor - 1x20

**WEDNESDAY - CHEST**
Incline Bench - 3x5
Flat DB Press - 3x8 (2 second pause at the bottom of each rep, and then explode up)
Dips - 20 reps total over 3 sets
Skullcrusher - 2x15
Lateral Raise - 1x20
Rope Pushdown - 1x20 (light)

**FRIDAY - BACK**
I'll be alternating between Workout A & B each week for back.

WORKOUT A:
Deadlift - 3x5
DB Rows - 4x8
BB Curl - 3x10
Behind Back Wrist Curl - 2x20
Rear Delt Raise - 1x15

WORKOUT B:
Rack Deadlift - 1x5, then 1x10-15
Weighted Chin Ups - 4x6 Adding 5lb plates every set
DB Curls - 3x10
DB Shrugs - 2x20 Grip the SH*T out of these!

**CARDIO**
I have swimming practice on my off days (Tuesday & Thursday)
So thats my cardio right there :thumbsup:

TripleT
01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Workout will start this MONDAY.
Stay tuned :thumbsup:

TripleT
01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Diet for today

Meal 1 - 5 whole eggs, 2 pieces of toast + 1 cup milk
Meal 2 -
Meal 3 -
Meal 4 -
Meal 5 -
Meal 6 -

...updating

WWJAI
01-24-2009, 01:27 PM
I think you are obviously going overboard here by stating all your meals EVERYDAY. Keep a journal yourself and just give us small updates on your progress once in a while.

chkolny541
01-24-2009, 01:38 PM
yea, also your 16, so i dont really think the results are going to be dramatic.

i know some guys from high school who nearly lived at the gym, and they had minimal results. so 20 lbs in muscle seems alittle farfetched IMO

TripleT
01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Alright.
Doesn't seem like this is the right kind of forums for posting a journal anyways.

I'll head on over to bodybuilding.com and post up a journal.

Peace guys :thumbsup:

oh and posting a meal everyday was just a way for me to keep track of my intake and making sure I'm eating enough.

Darkane
01-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
yea, also your 16, so i dont really think the results are going to be dramatic.

i know some guys from high school who nearly lived at the gym, and they had minimal results. so 20 lbs in muscle seems alittle farfetched IMO

Dude, beat it with your negative shit. I'm sure the guys you knew in high school had their diets in check too.

Triple T, looks good. Your routine looks solid, curious to see the rest of the diet too. Post up any supps being taken too.

I don't really have a log going but I started a thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/247689/darkane-gets-ripped/

Just wanted to note that during puberty 15-18 years old Test levels will pretty be the highest in any point of your life. This is the key time to train and more importantly EAT. Eating is the biggest determining factor to putting on mass during the early years.

Train hard and eat harder. Watch the slabs of muscle build.

bawlls
01-24-2009, 03:40 PM
im with darkane on this one. your routine looks pretty solid. Im looking for a new routine and I'm definatly going to give parts, if not all of it a try. keep up the hard work! You can still see gains when your 16 anyhow... they just won't (typicaly) be as large as someone who has reached physical maturity. You should sway more towards high reps of lower weights until you are around 18 IMO

Darkane
01-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by bawlls
You should sway more towards high reps of lower weights until you are around 18 IMO

Curious about this. What's the reasoning behind it?

kutt3r
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Curious about this. What's the reasoning behind it?

Guess the age old myth about still growing and not doing any heavy training... :rolleyes:

TripleT was looking forward to your log, maybe post a link to the BBcom one.

Routine looks solid, I agree with Darkane, at 16 your gains are going to be great if you stick with it and eat right, you are primetime for growth.

Web logs are a great way to keep yourself in check and get new ideas.

Good luck man!

TripleT
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Well me being lazy i didn't post a journal at BB.com

I might as well start one here for the last couple of days.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Week 1: Day 1 (Monday) - LEGS

Workout:

Box Squats - 4x5 - 135lbs
Leg Press - 2x20 - 85lbs
Hyperextensions - 3x8 - BW + 45lb plate
Hip Abductor - 1x20 - machine is out of order! :dunno:
Hip Adductor - 1x20 - 190lbs

Diet:
Meal 1 - 5 whole eggs, 1 PB & J sandwich
Meal 2 - Lasagna (roughly 8 oz. of ground beef as well as pasta and veggies)
Meal 3 - 2 scoop whey isolate in 10 oz of pure orange juice.
Meal 4 - 8 oz steak and 1 cup basmati rice + veggies
Meal 5 - 8 oz steak and 1 cup basmati rice + veggies
Meal 6 - miss :(

Supplments:
Whey protien + 2 fish oil pills every meal

My numbers are pretty small, but everyone has to start somewhere

Also, for squats I think I may be able to go lower (I'm at parallel right now) but for now I'm keeping everything lightweight while I learn form.

Well, I missed my 6th meal ( I couldn't eat another bite!) but I think I did pretty good for a start. Hopefully I can keep this up!
:thumbsup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1: Day 2 (Tuesday) - CARDIO

Workout:
30 mins low intensity swimming followed by stretching.

Diet:
Meal 1 - 2 Egg & Sausage McMuffins (Home made, not from Mc Dees) :thumbsup: Consisted of 2 eggs and 4 oz stampede sausage patties on white english muffin buns.
Meal 2 - 2 scoop whey isolate in 10 oz OJ
Meal 3 - 6 oz fish + 1 cup basmati rice
Meal 4 - 8 oz steak + 1 cup basmati rice
Meal 5 - leftover lasagna
Meal 6 - miss again! :cry:

As you can see...I missed meal 6 again. Maybe my body isn't used to eating so much yet. I find I'm never getting the urge for food anymore either than in the morning.
I will have to start FORCE FEEDING! :guns:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will update later with today's workout/diet :thumbsup::dunno:

pattyt
01-28-2009, 12:10 PM
honestly, i gotta give you respect for keeping a journal like this, I always slack on this kinda stuff.

Also may be a stupid question, wahts basmati rice?

GQBalla
01-28-2009, 12:14 PM
^^^http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basmati

lint
01-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by TripleT
Goals:
- Correct form for ALL excercises. Mainly Squats/Deads/Bench
- Get my weight up to at least 145lbs
[/B]

Just wondering how you expect to learn correct form on bench when it's not included in your routine? Incline bench and DB presses aren't the same thing.

Second, you say you're bulking and trying to gain 20lbs, yet you're wasting time and energy on:
Hip Abductor - 1x20
Hip Adductor - 1x20
Skullcrusher - 2x15
Lateral Raise - 1x20
BB Curl - 3x10
Rear Delt Raise - 1x15
DB Curls - 3x10

All of these supplementary muscles are worked if you focus on squats, deadlifts, bench and presses (which aren't in your routine either). Think about it this way, how much mass do you expect to gain from working your hip adductors or your forearms? think you can add even 1/2 a lb to those? Now think of how much mass you can add to your glutes, hamstrings, quads, pecs, delts. these can't help but get bigger if you're moving big weights.

I'd suggest checking out the Stronglifts beginner program (www.stronglifts.com), Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe(www.startingstrength.com, http://strengthmill.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36), or Bill Starr's Big 3 (http://workout-routines.blogspot.com/2006/10/bill-starrs-big-three-football-program.html)

Here's a good article by Bill Starr on why routines similar to yours won't help you reach your goals:
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/index.cfm?page=article&pID=1463

EDIT: Just so I'm not being too harsh, commitment looks good, you just need some more/better information.

Redlined_8000
01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
TripleT - fuck BB.com come post your journal at www.ironaddicts.com

TripleT
01-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by lint

Just wondering how you expect to learn correct form on bench when it's not included in your routine? Incline bench and DB presses aren't the same thing.

SAME PRINCIPLES WHEN CORRECTING THOSE EXCERCISES.
KEEP CHEST OUT, SHOULDER BLADES SQUEEZED TOGETHER, FEET FIRM ON GROUND, AND LOWER BAR TO POINT WHERE ARMS MAKE 90 DEGREE ANGLE. ITS THE SAME THING, JUST DIFFERENT POSITION OR DIFFERENT TYPE OF WEIGHT MOVED. (DB INSTEAD OF BAR)

BUT YEA, I'LL CORRECT THAT. THANKS! :thumbsup:

Second, you say you're bulking and trying to gain 20lbs, yet you're wasting time and energy on:

Hip Abductor - 1x20
Hip Adductor - 1x20
Skullcrusher - 2x15
Lateral Raise - 1x20
BB Curl - 3x10
Rear Delt Raise - 1x15
DB Curls - 3x10

WASTING TIME!?
DID YOU KNOW HIPS ARE THE CORE OF THE SQUAT?
HIP EXCERCISES WILL RAISE MY SQUAT FURTHERMORE BY STRENGTHENING THE MUSCLE THAT INITIATES THE MOVEMENT (THE HIPS).

SKULLCRUSHERS/LATERAL RAISE/ROPE PULLDOWN ARE JUST LIGHT EXCERCISES. AFTER THE INTIAL INCLINE/DB PRESS THESE JUST CONDITION AND HELP TO RECOVER THE MUSCLES. IT HELPS BLOOD CIRCULATE BACK INTO THESE MUSCLES FOR MAXIMUM RECOVERY.

AND AS FOR THE CURLS, WHATS SO WRONG ABOUT DOING CURLS ONCE A WEEK FOR 3 SETS?
AND BEHIND WRIST CURL IS FOREARM WORK. (AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE NO DIRECT FOREARM WORK)
REAR DELT RAISE FOR SOME SHOULDER/BACK WORK.

AGAIN, ALL OF THESE ARE LIGHT TO JUST CONDITION THE MUSCLE ABIT MORE AFTER THE INTIAL BIG COMPOUND LIFTS.
THEY ALL HELP TO RAISE THE NUMBERS OF THE BIG LIFTS TOO.

All of these supplementary muscles are worked if you focus on squats, deadlifts, bench and presses (which aren't in your routine either).

IF YOU READ AGAIN I DO HAVE SQUATS, DEADS, AND PRESSES IN THE ROUTINE. REASON FOR DOING BOX SQUATS FOR NOW IS TO CONDITION MY GLUTES UNTIL I CAN GO BELOW PARALELL FOR SQUATS. BOX SQUATS ARE TEMPORARY.
AND REASON FOR INCLINE BENCH IS IT WORKS MORE SHOULDER AND UPPER PECS. THE DB BENCH TAKES CARE OF THE LOWER PECS. THEY STILL WORKS THE SAME MUSCLE GROUP AS A FLAT BENCH.

Think about it this way, how much mass do you expect to gain from working your hip adductors or your forearms? think you can add even 1/2 a lb to those? Now think of how much mass you can add to your glutes, hamstrings, quads, pecs, delts. these can't help but get bigger if you're moving big weights.

AGAIN, HIP STRENGTH WILL INCREASE MY SQUAT AND SOME OTHER LIFTS GREATLY, THUS MORE MASS.
FOREARM STRENGTH WILL INCREASE MY DEADLIFT AND SOME OTHER LIFTS SUBSTANTIALLY AS WELL (CHIN UPS FOR EXAMPLE).

I'd suggest checking out the Stronglifts beginner program (www.stronglifts.com), Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe(www.startingstrength.com, http://strengthmill.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36), or Bill Starr's Big 3 (http://workout-routines.blogspot.com/2006/10/bill-starrs-big-three-football-program.html)

Here's a good article by Bill Starr on why routines similar to yours won't help you reach your goals:
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/index.cfm?page=article&pID=1463

EDIT: Just so I'm not being too harsh, commitment looks good, you just need some more/better information.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS, BUT I ALREADY STARTED ON THIS ROUTINE. AND BECAUSE I'M A BEGGINNER I DON'T THINK IT REALLY MATTERS ON THE ROUTINES.
I WILL GAIN EITHER WAY IF I EAT RIGHT.
ONCE I BECOME MORE ADVANCED AND MY NUMBERS START STALLING THEN I MAY SWITCH

THANKS FOR THE CONCERNS THOUGH!
I REALLY APPRECIATE IT :)

Responses in ALL CAPS/Blue!

EDIT:
Oh and I have done the Rippetoe program, I liked the simplicity but it just didn't feel like I was working much of the smaller groups all that much.
My current routine adds a little bit (not too much) of light excercises for the smaller muscles so I can help them grow a little bit more in addition to the big compound lifts.

TripleT
01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by pattyt
honestly, i gotta give you respect for keeping a journal like this, I always slack on this kinda stuff.

Also may be a stupid question, wahts basmati rice?

Thanks for the support guys.
And I use basmati rice because its healthier and gives more energy than regular white rice. :thumbsup:

Doesn't taste as good though I must say...its more free flowing rather than clumped like regular white rice :dunno:

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
TripleT - fuck BB.com come post your journal at www.ironaddicts.com

Suuuuuuree.
I might as well. Later though. :)

lint
01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I started lifting when I was 15 and was coached to follow Bill Starr's Big Three for football. At the time, I couldn't do a single body weight dip. Two years later in my senior year, I could squat 325, bench 250 and clean 185, and gained 35lbs.

I've only lifted on and off longer than you've been alive. But what the fuck do I know? Or Mark Rippetoe? Or Bill Starr? You don't even get that I posted up beginners routines, routines designed to build strength, technique and mass.

kutt3r
01-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Hmm I wasnt sure how I was going to approach this post, was thinking of calling lint a Bill Starr nut hugger, but I am a DeFranco/Wendler nut hugger so to each his own ;)

I see both points though... simple is good, but I also believe in accesory exercies, looking closer at the routine, there are much better exercises that would be more efficient.

But that being said I do not know what the end goals are, or TripleT's weakness are. If you are interested in astetics then keep the curls, just make sure they are the last done.

If you are interested in size/strength there are much better exercises than you have listed... especially in the hip department. While your logic is good TripleT the choice of exercise is suspect.
Pull throughs/Lunges/Side Squats/Glute-ham sit-ups would get rid of those Hip Abductor/Adductor and work your hips much more realistically(real world) and you would not look gay on the 'girls' weight equipment...
http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/images/hipabduction.gif

Shoulders seem non existant though... military/push press?
Incline is not working your shoulders hard enough to consider it a primary exercise... and if it is then you are not working your chest enough.

But like you said with newbie growth you are going to gain no matter what...Good job though, you are leaps and bounds ahead of most 16 year olds.

TripleT
01-28-2009, 04:58 PM
I was just about reply with a long ass post as to why my coach's routine was better than the others. Then I re-read it and I only really liked the routine because it was from my coach.
So I clicked delete and stopped to look back at my routine.

And I guess it is true that I have too many of those little excercises. I mean my goal IS to increase and perfect my squat/dead/bench (Big 3), and I guess the best routine would be something that emphasized these the most.

I guess you were right Lint, I just didn't see it.
My apologies.

Soooo...now that you guys have convinced me of a change of routine :D, what do you guys suggest?

I like the rippetoe routine, but doing squats til you drop with deads on the same day really kills my deadlift.

I'm liking the 5x5 routine, its got a few smaller excercises and the day you DO do deadlifts, its only one set.

The Bill Starr routine looks great as well (benching everyday :clap: ) , except that I don't know how to powerclean. :(

:dunno:
Leaning more towards 5x5, unless someone wants to teach me how to powerclean :thumbsup:

kutt3r
01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by TripleT
I was just about reply with a long ass post as to why my coach's routine was better than the others. Then I re-read it and I only really liked the routine because it was from my coach.
So I clicked delete and stopped to look back at my routine.

Coach? What sport?
If we are talking football Starr or DeFranco... simple as that you are done. (Though you know who I lean towards, they are both great trainers)

lint
01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Look into the Stronglifts 5x5. It's a great beginner program, still focuses on squat and bench. Deads are only done every other workout and only 1x5. Includes other accessory exercises that you'll like.

When you said you've tried Rippetoe's Starting Strength, how long did you stick it out for? You're only doing 3 sets of 5 reps of squats, and then you have 3 (working) sets of bench (add in a few more warm up sets) in between to rest up for deads. You can also rest as much as you need to complete the sets. So take 3-5 mins inbetween if that's what you need to recover.

I'm only being a hard ass about this because 95+% of the posts in here are about wanting to gain size and strength, yet no one wants to follow strength programs that work. Everyone wants to follow Ronnie Coleman and other juiced up body builders, with super advanced routines that will just burn out a beginner. Then they post up 3 months later about why they can't gain weight, aren't much stronger than they were when they started, etc. When you're starting out, you can make huge gains if you just follow the basics, and you only need to spend 45-60mins in the gym. Once you're an intermediate or an advanced lifter, and want to spend 2+hrs in the gym, go nuts with the curls and skull crushers (although I'd still say leave the girlie hip shit to the ladies).

Another key thing that your journal is missing is sleep. You need to sleep to grow.

What coach did you get this routine from? And what sport are you training for?

Little Dragon
01-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Good job, I'll be following along.

EDIT: I'll be doing the 5x5 program soon too! :thumbsup:
I may/may not post a journal.

TripleT
01-28-2009, 09:47 PM
5x5 it is!

Swimming coach made the routine.
And I'm training for swimming, but mostly just getting more mass/strength in general.

And I'll start posting some sleeping hours in my new journal once I start the 5x5.

I'll start and go light this friday.

Darkane
01-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Triple,

If you're actually eating what you're post I'm really excited for you.

Try to get something for the 6th meal, even if it's 1 cup cottage cheese. Seriously mark my words, eat as much as you can clean like that and just watch. Just watch.

TripleT
01-28-2009, 10:34 PM
^^
Thanks!
Its hard to eat so much I must say, but I'll do my best to stick to it.

pattyt
01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Just read through this 5x5 workout routine. I think im going to hop on it too for a bit before i start p90x. Keep us updated triple!

kutt3r
02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I am confused... wouldn't mass and strength be counter productive to swimming?

I would question the use of a 5x5... just 2min on Google shows that most swimmers programs to be high rep, which is what I would expect...

:dunno:

Redlined_8000
02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
^^ Swimming is a low impact cardio, it will help increase work capacity and not dampen your Central Nervous System to a great degree. High impact activity's such as running dampen the CNS and you cannot recover as well so it becomes counter productive.

lint
02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, scratch what I said. Training for swimming isn't going to be the same as training for football or rugby.

TripleT
02-10-2009, 09:39 PM
just a little update, I've been very ill for the past week and a half, haven't been able to do much let alone eat anything.

I'm getting a little better and I'm itching to swim/workout again.
Sitting in a chair/bed all day really sucks.

Anyways, just a little update on my whereabouts thats all.
I still have a bad throat so I can't eat much right now.

Hopefully this dissappears by next Monday, for that is when I'll start up that 5x5 routine. :thumbsup:

-3T

blacklabel
02-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey man keep up the journal!! This kind of stuff motivates me for sure and probably other!!! How many calories per day are you taking in you think?