PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the SUV's

ForkEvolution
01-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Ok so here's the issue.
Im ia highschool student and within the next 2 years (I'll be 18-19 by this time) I want to purchase my first vehicle. I'd say my limit to spend on it is about 15k. I've always wanted a SUV so Im going to get a SUV. It would not be driven crazily often as it will be used in University, but in the summers and such it will be. As for passengers and space requirements I don't need anything huge but I would like the space.

Here is my list of SUV's that I have looked at a bit, or am really interested in. For my case, and just in general which would be the best for me in your opinion? Remember, all would be used.

-Nissan Xterra
-Jeep Commander
-GMC Yukon (Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL, etc)
-Range Rover

EDIT: I'm also open to other suggestions for SUV's.

kevie88
01-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Buy a car. SUV's are terrible.

SR240SX
01-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Buy my Pathfinder!

5G_celica
01-25-2009, 03:17 AM
here's an idea, test drive the trucks and figure out what you like.

ForkEvolution
01-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by 5G_celica
here's an idea, test drive the trucks and figure out what you like.

Lol that will obviously happen but I want to know if there's anything that would really be better for me. Or any background knowledge before I start test driving.

ExtraSlow
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Range Rovers have terrible reliability.

Mr_ET
01-25-2009, 10:37 AM
so let me get this straight you're looking at buying something in the next 2 years and want our help NOW? :rofl:

My friend, lots of things change in 2 years especially at your age, stay in school and come back and see us when you actually have money to buy the car/suv, until then this thread is a bit worthless.

Don't mean to be an ass but it's the truth.

Isaiah
01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Out of your list:

- Nissan Xterra - decent, rugged truck. No frills but good for daily driving.
- Jeep Commander - No comment.
- GMC Yukon (Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL, etc) - Forget about the XL's because they're murder on gas. As far as the regular Yukons go, I think you can get much better performance and reliability from an import.
- Range Rover - http://forums.beyond.ca/st/238424/opinions-on-range-rover/ cole's notes: stay away.

picmerollin
01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
on your list i would suggest xterra, and add to that Nissan pathfinder.

I personally have had the best vehicle experiences with nissan pathy's, and am looking at upgrading my current winter beats from a old and rusty pathy to a xterra. In fact ever since my first pathfinder which ran flawlessly until i sold it with 360,000 kms i have become a major nissan fan.

and honestly you say you are waiting 2 yrs or so and you are a HS student, i say get a job (part time/summer) and buy one now for 4-6 thousand- then get a nicer one in a few years. You can easily get one for a good price (around 5 grand will net you a good one) and if you read up on the sites below you will learn quickly what to look out for in the purchase of a used pathy/xterra. Things like the waterpump and timing belt, both very critical to the life of the vehicle, other than that they are unstoppable. It would be beneficial to buy a cheaper one now and let it take the door dings of your first yr's of "creative parking" on campus etc etc.

if i knew i was going to get/have/earn 15k for a ride in a couple of years i would figure out how to turn that into 5k today and be cruising.

check out clubxterra.org for x info and http://npora.ipbhost.com/ for pathy info.

do it