PDA

View Full Version : New SUV

Destinova403
01-26-2009, 11:01 AM
so my parents have decided to buy a new SUV... my dad doesnt like his 3 series in the snow

right now it is between the VW Tiguan and the Subaru Forester

both brand new

the tiguan has a 6 speed auto and a 2.0l turbo engine and the Forester has a 4 speed with the 2.5l boxer engine.

the tiguan looks to be a better car but similarly equipped it is around 4-5000 more expensive.
we have apointments to test drive both this week, and we need to buy one because my car is in the body-shop for a while so we need a third car.

anyone have any input?

BlackArcher101
01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm may be biased, but I've heard nothing but great things about the Forester. Go for the FXT ;)

Destinova403
01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
It wont be the SXT, itll be the 2.5 Touring... everything but leather pretty much.

Xtrema
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I got a feeling you'll get better service @ VW than any Subaru dealerships in town if that ever being considered.

While every dealerships are bashed, I have yet to hear anyone praising Subaru services in Calgary.

Destinova403
01-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Pics:

Tiguan:

http://d2.dlrsp.com/ps_atamianvw/sites/Atamian%20Volkswagen/user/09_vw_tiguan_f34_340.jpg

Forester:

http://www.autospectator.com/cars/files/images/2009-Subaru-Forester-sideview.jpg

Ntense_SpecV
01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
We own the 09 FXT - it's my wifes new car...it's been a great car and has way more than enough power for the misses.
My coworker just bought a Tiguan and it was in the shop last week to fix the compass in the dash that never worked right from the beginning. We cross shopped both vehicles and ended up with the Subaru mainly because I feel it will be cheaper in the end with maintanance and parts compared to the VW.

scat19
01-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I like the VW styling better.

IMHO I think an X3, 5spd is the way to go!

Destinova403
01-26-2009, 11:34 AM
^^ which would be great but its twice the price as either of these and less equipped

the VW with the full sunroof covering back and front seats, premium sound system, and with the 2.0t awd 6 speed comes to around 34,000

the subaru similarly equipped comes to around 30,000... smaller sunroof and worse transmission :(

Ntense_SpecV
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403
^^ which would be great but its twice the price as either of these and less equipped

the VW with the full sunroof covering back and front seats, premium sound system, and with the 2.0t awd 6 speed comes to around 34,000

the subaru similarly equipped comes to around 30,000... smaller sunroof and worse transmission :(

To be honest the sunroof is huge in our car - VW's might be bigger but it's not like the Subaru is small - I will comment that the transmission isn't all that great as I would have very much preferred 5 or 6 gears instead of only 4 but I take what I can get. Another thing is that cargo space is way better in the Subaru (we have a baby on the way) but if you don't need much in that way then who cares.

Sorath
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
i like the forester, then again i dont like anything vw produces

benyl
01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
How old is his 3 series? Is he running good winter tires?

I haven't heard many people say that a 3 series with good winter tires are bad. Maybe he just wants something new.

I would go for the Tiguan. The Forrester is a pig on gas and is kind of ugly.

2.0T has upgrade potential and will likely be more fuel efficient.

Destinova403
01-26-2009, 11:48 AM
^^

its a year and a half old 335, he has winter tires but he doesnt like the car in the winter, its too low and he is used to driving a truck. he doesnt feel as safe and doesnt like sliding around, so he wants an AWD SUV.

Eleanor
01-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by scat19
IMHO I think an X3, 5spd is the way to go!
:facepalm: Fanboyism FTL, the X3 is an overpriced piece of garbage.

I'd probably get the Subaru out of your choices, but why so limited?

schocker
01-26-2009, 11:55 AM
There is nothing good about X3's.
Why just those two though what about other suvs in that segment. The Tiguan is extremely nice and that is an excellent transmission and engine, but if you start adding options it can get pricey quickly.

benyl
01-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403
^^

its a year and a half old 335, he has winter tires but he doesnt like the car in the winter, its too low and he is used to driving a truck. he doesnt feel as safe and doesnt like sliding around, so he wants an AWD SUV.

Haha, what?

Sliding around? DTC and DSC won't let you do shit. The switch is worn out in my car cause I turn it on and off all the time.

I do have to give him the ground clearance issues though. some of those slush ruts are still bad.

An AWD SUV won't be any better without stability control. he should have gotten an 335 Xi.

Ntense_SpecV
01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by benyl
The Forrester is a pig on gas and is kind of ugly.

2.0T has upgrade potential and will likely be more fuel efficient.

This is very true about the mileage so far with the Forester. If you want parts most things from the WRX will fit on the FXT.

Looks wise I too think that the VW looks better.

Destinova403
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
we took a look at all the different options and these are the two he decided on... i just figured i should ask what you thought.

its his car not mine, just figured some people on here would have some experience with these cars.

jonnycat
01-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't get it. He wants out of a car based SUV because he likes trucks, but wants to hop into a another car based suv?

Neither of the two SUV's listed would make my short list, but if I had to I'd choose the Forester for functionalty. The cargo area is crap in the Tiguan.

prae
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
I don't get it. He wants out of a car based SUV because he likes trucks, but wants to hop into a another car based suv?

Neither of the two SUV's listed would make my short list, but if I had to I'd choose the Forester for functionalty. The cargo area is crap in the Tiguan.

not sure i'd consider a 335i to be a car based suv :confused:

Ntense_SpecV
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
INeither of the two SUV's listed would make my short list, but if I had to I'd choose the Forester for functionalty. The cargo area is crap in the Tiguan.

I'm curious to know which would make your list then as we looked at damn near everything in that category and price. vs. features those 2 where at the very top.

Destinova403
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM

he looked at bigger SUVs, namely the XTerra, the Toureg, and a few of the Domestic ones, and they are pigs on gas and he doesnt need the huge storage space. His friend has a ford escape and hates it so that one was out, X3 is overpriced, so are most of the other luxury ones. Outback was more expensive than the Forester for essentially the same thing. Toyota Venza he didnt like, same thing with the Honda Pilot, he likes these two.

rony_espana
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
ha I thought tiguan was a typo, and you meant toureg....

hadn't even heard of it...

Aleks
01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Both are very nice SUVs. At our altitude the turbo will pull much better than the non turbo though. I did something similar where I went from a 2.5L N/A Golf to a 2.0T Golf and in Calgary the difference was crazy.

I've had my car for over a year and only issues I've had are due to it being lowered. I also had an 07 Rabbit for a year and that had no issues either.

There are a bunch of people on this board with 2.0T cars and I haven't heard of any issues yet.

scat19
01-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

:facepalm: Fanboyism FTL, the X3 is an overpriced piece of garbage.

riiiiiight.

I have driven an x3, and I would really consider buying one in the future if I ever had a use for an SUV (family, haha yeah right.)

Destinova403
01-31-2009, 06:30 PM
They decided to go with the Tiguan... it had a 2500 dollar rebate on it

we pick it up on wednesday

white :)

psycoticclown
01-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Bah, X3 is way too overpriced. $45300 for a base model that doesn't even come with leather :rolleyes:

You can get a fully loaded Infiniti EX35 for the same price and it will be loads better than even the fully loaded X3, fully loaded FX35 is $1000 more, or you can get a FX50 with the V8 and navi for $6000 more and it'll blow the X3 out of the water.

Aleks
01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
Bah, X3 is way too overpriced. $45300 for a base model that doesn't even come with leather :rolleyes:

You can get a fully loaded Infiniti EX35 for the same price and it will be loads better than even the fully loaded X3, fully loaded FX35 is $1000 more, or you can get a FX50 with the V8 and navi for $6000 more and it'll blow the X3 out of the water.

EX35 has less leg room in the back than the Mini Cooper S. It's useless.

X3 is overpriced but it's the best driving of the small SUVs out there.

psycoticclown
01-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

EX35 has less leg room in the back than the Mini Cooper S. It's useless.

X3 is overpriced but it's the best driving of the small SUVs out there.

Good point, but I still think the FX50 drives better... quicker quarter mile than an Evo X?! Sign me up!

Generic
02-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Dane, your Dad got a 335i? since when! thats a sick car.