PDA

View Full Version : The Club - still relevant in the days of immobilizer?

Xtrema
01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Just saw a SC430 with a ghetto Club on the steering wheel. Anybody with immobilizer in their cars still use this? Is it still relevant these day and age?

01RedDX
01-26-2009, 01:57 PM

DelSoln
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I do. It's all about layering your security. The bigger the pain in the ass it is for a thief the more likely they will move on to something else.

badatusrnames
01-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Maybe as a visual deterrent on a cheap Civic, but not on a SC430.

I use it as a visual deterrent... why not? Saves the potential hassle of having them smashing the glass, cracking the column, to only find the car won't move anyways.

Of course, I have an early 90's car.

n1zm0
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Visual deterrent for me... why not?

Of course, I have an early 90's car.

ya +1, by the time the tard gets the club off he might or might not realize theres a fuel pump switch kicking somewhere or a battery kill switch for that matter, by then frustration and paranoia hopefully have set in and they'll move to something else.

cheaper to replace some broken steering column panels than lose my investment to a chop shop.

the other one i've seen that a friend of mine uses is the brake/clutch pedal lock, dunno about that one..

a social dsease
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I still use my club whenever I have to park in the NE.

Redlyne_mr2
01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Its is openly mocked on x92.9. Some dude in my secured underground parkade uses one. :nut:

topmade
01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I used it all the time with my old civic, but I never locked it. Took only a few seconds to put on. Now I drive a van and a crv and I don't think they are highly sought after vechiles for stealing so I don't use it anymore.

Proyecto2000
01-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Maybe as a visual deterrent on a cheap Civic, but not on a SC430.

I use it as a visual deterrent. Thief walks up to my infiniti with a club and then sees another infiniti a few parking spots down without the club (g35's are a dime a dozen). I feel confident that he will move on to the car without the club, if he is really wants to try and stealing a g35 :facepalm:

rony_espana
01-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Its is openly mocked on x92.9. Some dude in my secured underground parkade uses one. :nut:

haha yeah same thing happens at my job, some guy always uses the club while everyone else leaves there windows open. :rofl:

However, I'm sure anyone would go for the other cars first.

scat19
01-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

There is a RHD SUV that uses one too, in a secured underground parkade at my buddies place. I lol everytime.

Tik-Tok
01-27-2009, 10:16 AM
2 reasons to use it:

1) Visual deterrent
2) Mighty fine beat down device, that you won't get questioned about having in your car

1 reason not to use it:

It looks lame

Xtrema
01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000

I use it as a visual deterrent. Thief walks up to my infiniti with a club and then sees another infiniti a few parking spots down without the club (g35's are a dime a dozen). I feel confident that he will move on to the car without the club, if he is really wants to try and stealing a g35 :facepalm:

It has immobilizer. The club will only deter dumb kids who don't know what they're doing. Why do you want to waste 15s getting in and out of the car and looking ghetto doing it?

em2ab
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Most people I've seen use it don't do so with any theft deterrence in mind, they do it to lower insurance rates. For an extra few seconds, you save quite a bit of money, sounds logical to me. :dunno:

scat19
01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
Most people I've seen use it don't do so with any theft deterrence in mind, they do it to lower insurance rates. For an extra few seconds, you save quite a bit of money, sounds logical to me. :dunno:

Why would an insurance company lower your rate because you use a club? lol

There is no garauntee to the insurance company that you will use it everytime. Where the hell did you get that? They dont even lower your rates for having an alarm :nut:

Proyecto2000
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The club will only deter dumb kids who don't know what they're doing. Why do you want to waste 15s getting in and out of the car and looking ghetto doing it?

Thats exactly why I use the club, it deters the dumb people that dont know that you cant steal the car unless you have the key. Personally, I rather waste 15seconds 3 times a day then spend time and money fixing stuff that a clueless idiot broke trying to steal the car. BTW I also live in the NE and park the car in a NE LRT station :drama:

em2ab
01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by scat19

There is no garauntee to the insurance company that you will use it everytime. Where the hell did you get that? They dont even lower your rates for having an alarm :nut: Insurance companies raise/lower rates based on a lot of things. When I was applying for my insurance, they asked me a bunch of questions including if I used a Club which would have lowered my rates a little. Mine went down because I have an immobilizer, chipped key and 2 way paging system. Over the last 3 years my alarm system has paid for itself with lower insurance rates.

The guarantee comes when they find your car as a lump of charcoal on the side of a gravel road somewhere after being stolen and there's a sawed off Club in the back seat, they know you used it and will more easily pay out the full amount. From what I hear, which may not be entirely true, they're less willing to give you a full payout if you claim to use a Club and it's nowhere to be found when they recover the stolen car.

bituerbo
01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It has immobilizer. The club will only deter dumb kids who don't know what they're doing. Why do you want to waste 15s getting in and out of the car and looking ghetto doing it?

Maybe they don't know about the immobilizer. It would be very expensive (for you) for them to find out. $40 The Club vs $400 to replace a smashed in window? Good investment IMO.

eglove
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
i use it as a visual deterrent, i don't really have faith in it otherwise.

Speed_69
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
Insurance companies raise/lower rates based on a lot of things. When I was applying for my insurance, they asked me a bunch of questions including if I used a Club which would have lowered my rates a little. Mine went down because I have an immobilizer, chipped key and 2 way paging system. Over the last 3 years my alarm system has paid for itself with lower insurance rates.

The guarantee comes when they find your car as a lump of charcoal on the side of a gravel road somewhere after being stolen and there's a sawed off Club in the back seat, they know you used it and will more easily pay out the full amount. From what I hear, which may not be entirely true, they're less willing to give you a full payout if you claim to use a Club and it's nowhere to be found when they recover the stolen car.

I use to be an insurance broker, not sure who you're getting all your information from but the information you have is all incorrect.
Having a club is just a question that is on the application..it does not do anything to your insurance rates. As for the Immobilizer and chipped key, there is no discount for that. That information is already included in the rating information (rate groups) for your specific vehicle. And as for the alarm, it is possible to obtain a minimal discount on your comprehensive section of your policy but that's it. If you car came with an OEM alarm, you are not eligible for this discount as it has already been included in the rating information for your specific vehicle once again.

As for answer to the OP, I have an aftermarket 2 way alarm system on my vehicle and only use my club when I have to park my vehicle outside somewhere overnight.

szw
01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by scat19

There is no garauntee to the insurance company that you will use it everytime. Where the hell did you get that? They dont even lower your rates for having an alarm :nut:

I have a discount for having an alarm. It has to be aftermarket and meet some guidelines set out by the insurance co. Also have a discount for having winter tires.

88CRX
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Detachable steering wheel + locking hub > the club.

I don't have either yet...... but soon.

GQBalla
01-27-2009, 03:34 PM
I believe the alarm discount is only to applied to certain cars.

my for 99 civic theres no difference but for my 04 civic there is.