PDA

View Full Version : no more S2000....

GOnSHO
01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
http://wot.motortrend.com/6452937/auto-news/its-official-honda-nixes-s2000-sports-car-after-my2009/index.html

Honda's long-in-the-tooth, but always entertaining, S2000 sports car will not live on past the 2009 model year, the automaker announced today to little surprise

Eleanor
01-26-2009, 03:16 PM
and there goes the last exciting honda :thumbsdow

RIP

Mr_ET
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
right back to 1973 when emissions ruled everything and all cars became boring for 15 years....

RIP to the last FR Honda sold today :(

Isaiah
01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
They'll come out with a replacement under a different name. Then, a few years later, they'll release a 'revamped, new S2K'.

rony_espana
01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
:facepalm:

n1zm0
01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
the drop-top four-cylinder has sold around 110,000 units since 1999 in 65 countries -- with about 65,000 of those sales coming from the U.S. alone.

well at least they'll be enough in North America for most enthusiasts to snatch one up for collectors/nostalgic keeping when the time comes (IMO it's already set in stone that this will be a collectors in say 40-50 years, unless Honda starts mass producing FR convertibles on a civic scale :nut: )

DonJuan
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
honda hoes the same way as toyota and neuters itself. Pretty soon the most exciting Honda will be the Accord Coupe.

Woopie

schocker
01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks honda, this makes the decision on a car much easier now that the entire brand has nothing that I like.:nut:

Redlined_8000
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
awww man :(

cjmr34
01-26-2009, 05:27 PM
It was not all that exciting to look at,im sure nobody ever thought they were a sexy car,but a blast to drive,now Honda is just yet another boring japanese car company.

jwslam
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
:eek:
:( :(

treg50
01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Sweet. Should be really cool to see what model/type of car they'll introduce to fill in the gap.

badatusrnames
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by treg50
Sweet. Should be really cool to see what model/type of car they'll introduce to fill in the gap.

Likely nothing for a while...

treg50
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Likely nothing for a while...
Yup...

schocker
01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by treg50

Yup...
Drive a civic in reverse, high revving and rwd is what they will say:dunno:

rage2
01-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Boring or not, the general public does NOT want sports cars. Nobody's buying them right now. What's the point of making them? Honda sold a whopping 72 S2000's in Dec '08. It's not profitable anymore.

corsvette
01-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Times are real tough for sports cars right now,worse for old designs like the s-2000,i just read that Cadillac is stopping production of the xlr roadster as well.

4doorj
01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Sad to see it go. But glad it's going. Considering they never made any huge significant changes. It was dying a very slow death the last few years.

BigShow
01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
so there wont be any 370 vs s3000 threads...:drama:

ragu
01-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Boring or not, the general public does NOT want sports cars. Nobody's buying them right now. What's the point of making them? Honda sold a whopping 72 S2000's in Dec '08. It's not profitable anymore.

Not profitable because 1) over priced 2) you can find one for 13G in states.....not a tough choice between civic and s2k

chkolny541
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
honda hoes the same way as toyota and neuters itself. Pretty soon the most exciting Honda will be the Accord Coupe.

Woopie

lol:burnout: :burnout:

give em a few years and they will replace it

black13
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
It's not like anybody was buying these anyway.

Seems like Nissan is the only Japn company making sports cars now.

schocker
01-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Well it is the same scenario as the NSX. They release the car, it is excellent, has really cool features that make it a really neat car to have then they produce it forever with little to no changes to go against other sports cars, with the sales following suit then they kill it off.

ragu
01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by schocker
forever with little to no changes to go against other sports cars

^^that's it!!

eb0i
01-26-2009, 10:34 PM
So sad :(

heavyD
01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by black13

Honda has to get serious with their next take on a sports car. A torque-less 4-cyl just doesn't cut it anymore. I've known alot of guys over the years that were really interested in the S2000 but were left disappointed by the lack of power. I know that it can be fun to rev the car to 8500 RPM's but North Americans love torque and it's a tough sell when you can buy cars that are alot cheaper and just as fast or faster in a straight line especially in stop and go traffic.

dimi
01-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by ragu

Not profitable because 1) over priced 2) you can find one for 13G in states.....not a tough choice between civic and s2k

What like a 2008 civic vs a 2002 S2000. That's a good comparison!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They've been beating the dead horse for the last 3 years now. They should have been done with it in 2005 instead of introducing a bunch of bullshit "upgrades" in an attempt to boost sales. I mean DBW and traction control additions won't sell cars, especially in such a minimalistic car. The 2006 model should have had VTC like the Kseries engines. Definitely would have addressed a lot of the torque concerns.

The S2000 was a pretty amazing car when it first came out. Today a Civic Si is just as fast while being a lot easier and forgiving to drive.

rage2
01-26-2009, 11:53 PM
I was talking about US sales. The S2K is relatively affordable in the US.

In Canada, they probably sold 1 in Dec.

Redlyne_mr2
01-27-2009, 12:30 AM
One of the last "pure" sports cars.

rumeo
01-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

lol:burnout: :burnout:

give em a few years and they will replace it

Xtrema
01-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Torque less or not, it has one of the best chassis in the world. RIP and from the looks of it, Honda probably won't make another one for a long time.

bituerbo
01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I had posted a reply to this thread from home last night... where'd it go? From memory:

Sports car companies are doing just fine, Lambo posted record profits, Porsche isn't having any troubles at all. If you want a sports car, go to a sports car company. Owning a 'weekend warrior' is afterall, a luxury.

Honda/Toyota sold their souls so they can sell more crossovers and mini-suv's. I predict a decline in econobox makers producing purpose-built sports cars, and instead expect to see more sporting examples of existing models such as the impreza based WRX/STi and possibly a return of (or introduction of North American) Type-R branding. Lower design/production costs, along with minimized risk does make it a safe choice - a very influential factor in todays market.

For those who are buying sports-oriented cars, most will be looking for practicality, and perhaps a vehicle which is as much fun to drive as it is practical would be successful in this market, for those who are looking to downgrade from two cars, to one.

Astra GXP anyone?

Rocky
01-27-2009, 10:55 AM
S2000 had a really good run, I mean don't forget these things were new back when the first Fast and Furious movie came out.... 9 years or so, that's pretty damn good for a sports compact, especially these days.

There's few sporty, fun little cars to buy lately, but eventually the market will demand some and we'll get a few new sports compacts... just might take a few years.

Besides, "S2000" sounds a little dated in the year 2009 haha.

Ca_Silvia13
01-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by black13

Your kidding right? Yes the GTR is a nice sports car but highly unobtainable for the masses and what else is there?

Altima=understearing slug

Maxima=old mans car

Sentra SER= Drive it, it sucks bad

370z=Ok theres 1

Closest things we have to sports cars are the fast-in-a-straight-line mopars (srts), mazda speed cars all of which are FWD. Then there is the WRX/STI's and Ralliarts/EVO's only AWD.

bituerbo
01-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
mazda speed cars all of which are FWD

Current:
RX8 and Miata.

Rumoured:
Nissan 240 successor, Subaru RWD Coupe.

4doorj
01-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Rocky

Besides, "S2000" sounds a little dated in the year 2009 haha.
I think the name S2000 came from 2000=2.0
They didn't change the name to S2200 because it sounded funny.
I'm not a 100 percent sure on this. But this is what I remember reading before.

95EagleAWD
01-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, the 2000 in S2000 comes from 2000 cc's, not the year it came out, which was 1999.

Eleanor
01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
^ Why isn't it called the S1997 then? :D

But yes, you're correct in saying that S2000 came from engine size, same as the S600 & S800.

bituerbo
01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
S800.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5926/hondas80019701ke4.jpg

http://www.narutomania.com/gallery/data/1117/house-do-want_thumbnail.jpg

al-ti2d
01-27-2009, 05:45 PM
well i guess i'll be looking at the hyundai genesis coupe alot more seriously now that the s2000 is gone :(

Kaos
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey, at least the people who own them now have a slightly "rare" car now haha or some what of a "limited edition". :D

max_boost
01-27-2009, 10:47 PM
^^

Yeah and maybe they'll start going up in value or never depreciate like the NSX! haha jk

The S2000 will always be a hot car in my books. Always love the way it looks and drives. It's like hot chick you just want to get with every now and then but can't live with day in and day out lol

4doorj
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^

Yeah and maybe they'll start going up in value or never depreciate like the NSX! haha jk

The S2000 will always be a hot car in my books. Always love the way it looks and drives. It's like hot chick you just want to get with every now and then but can't live with day in and day out lol
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BigWill
01-27-2009, 11:00 PM
i think a new re-designed version will come out in about 3 or 4 years... thats what im hoping anyway! but honda basically sucks now!

riceeater
01-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Well it is the same scenario as the NSX. They release the car, it is excellent, has really cool features that make it a really neat car to have then they produce it forever with little to no changes to go against other sports cars, with the sales following suit then they kill it off.

excellent? come on... the NSX had it's pluses, but still lacked the big power, and at the end of the day, that's one of the most important things in sports car, along with looks and handling.... The S2000 is good, but could have been quite awesome with a tiny turbo or supercharger, that wouldn't have added much to the weight, but given it the extra power it needed...

i think the next time we'll see a sports car from toyota or honda, is when they figure a way to make one using something different than a regular gas engine, like say hydrogen. The weight distribution will be all different, lots of things in the layout of the cars will change... in a way, i dont think it's that bad that they stopped investing in developing sporty cars using regular gas engines, they are probably waiting for the next engine/fuel type, and THEN they'll put something new out, using the new platform. Honda already has hydrogen cars running around California... it would be no surprise if hydrogen became widely available, to see Honda be one of the first ones to release a sports car that would dominate other manufacturers for a couple years at least... :dunno:

schocker
01-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by riceeater
excellent? come on... the NSX had it's pluses, but still lacked the big power, and at the end of the day, that's one of the most important things in sports car, along with looks and handling.... The S2000 is good, but could have been quite awesome with a tiny turbo or supercharger, that wouldn't have added much to the weight, but given it the extra power it needed...
Well the hondas have never been all about the power, it is the handling and the overall package. When the NSX came out, it was a very good car, that was ages ago and they just kept producing it on and on as new models came out. When the S2000 came out in 1999, it was a great handling 4cyl roadster with a 9000rpm redline, nothing else could compare to that, but over the years, nothing changed, new roadsters and sport cars came out and honda did nothing to counter this.

heavyD
01-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Well the hondas have never been all about the power, it is the handling and the overall package.

Which is exactly why there is no more Prelude, RSX, and S2000. People that buy Civics and Accords aren't interested in big power they want fuel economy and reliability. People that buy performance vehicles expect power and torque. Honda did not deliver and those vehicles sold poorly. Honda was at their best with small zippy vehicles like the CRX that were fun and cheap. When they started increasing the prices while flatlining on performance is when things went downhill.

I like the S2000 and always have. A more powerful engine would have made the car much more successful especially seeing how capable the chassis is.

max_boost
01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Which is exactly why there is no more Prelude, RSX, and S2000. People that buy Civics and Accords aren't interested in big power they want fuel economy and reliability. People that buy performance vehicles expect power and torque. Honda did not deliver and those vehicles sold poorly. Honda was at their best with small zippy vehicles like the CRX that were fun and cheap. When they started increasing the prices while flatlining on performance is when things went downhill.

I like the S2000 and always have. A more powerful engine would have made the car much more successful especially seeing how capable the chassis is.

:werd:

Which is why as much as I wanted one after I sold MY01, I couldn't go back! Had to move on! I still reminisce about my days with the S2. Even though I found a very suitable replacement, just not the same sometimes!

BigShow
01-28-2009, 09:20 AM
The one thing i hate about the s2000... is waiting for the summer! :love:

cloud7
01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
the general public keeps buying boring vehicles (minivans, suv, family sedans), that's why Honda is following the direction of Toyota, who have been making nothing but boring vehicles for the past 5-10 years... but it sells the most vehicles and is one of the most profitable. When people start buying new sports cars again, they will be making more sports car.

Redlyne_mr2
01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
People are and will continue to buy sports cars. Profitability and numbers are not a priority when building these types of cars. It's a form of marketing and they're built to generate excitement and create a certain brand image. At this point it's just not in Hondas best interest to retool a whole factory to produce a niche car when their bread and butter cars arent doing so well.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Quoted for win

SScott
01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
^^

The S2000 will always be a hot car in my books. Always love the way it looks and drives. It's like a hot chick you just want to get with every now and then but can't live with day in and day out lol

Fixed

Also, This comment is a Fact.

But Beyond Ballers have a car for each season anyways right Max?

The Cosworth
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5926/hondas80019701ke4.jpg

http://www.narutomania.com/gallery/data/1117/house-do-want_thumbnail.jpg

:drool:

lewdvig
01-28-2009, 08:33 PM

I better head to the states. Fun car with Honda reliability.

dimi
01-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by riceeater

It's not all about power. With a super/turbocharger you would lose all the response that you get with the F20C. And for 1999, it was indeed an excellent car. I can't think of a comparable priced car that would have provided the same performance, while being a convertible. That was 9 years ago though and things have changed significantly since. I guess I am biased though.