PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder problems

Freeskier
01-26-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm going to be looking for an older (early 90s) suv sometime in the nearish future, so I'm just doing a bit of background research. In regards to the pathfinder, do the 91-94 years have any inherent problems that will surface? Just an example of what I mean, the timing chain guides on the 22re toyota motor wearing out at 100k, that kind of thing. Obviously cars of this age are gonna have small problems surfacing regularly, but is there anything that I should know?

Tarrantula
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1990-to-1995-nissan-pathfinder-2.htm

Best website that I always use.

nismodrifter
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
They are pretty solid. We have had a 95' Pathy in the family for almost 12 years. It has well over 200 000 kms on it and has yet to have any mechanical issues. Used to have a 93' as well and that was rock solid. Starts in any weather and gets you where you need to go. Did not have any issues with that one either and it had 180k on it.

Find a clean one which has been maintained regularly and you should be in the clear. There are no real SERIOUS problem items that I can think of. Just keep up with the maintenance and it will serve you well for many years to come.

For a Nissan SUV specific forum check out http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

^alot of great information there.

CelicaST-162
01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
When you're looking at one, look at the frame rails from front bumper to rear bumper. They like to rust out, if it's bad stay away.

The like to pop up in the rear on the right side, right in the RR wheel well.

Masked Bandit
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
- Timing belt needs to be done every 100,000 kms

- Bodies tend to rust a bit early

- Powertrain is bullet-proof. I've owned several

- Watch for trucks with unusually low km's. The gauge clusters on '88 to '95 Pathfinders & Hardbody pick ups liked to go out so there are a lot of replacement ones out there where the odometer starts at zero. If it was done properly there should be a sticker on the inside of the driver's door stating when the cluster was changed and what the reading on the odo was.

Redlyne_mr2
01-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Be careful of automatics as well.. The trannies like to fail around 200K. I owned a 91 5 speed, great truck to get you to the mountains.

Freeskier
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah i'm looking at the 5spd, and just weighing all the options. Im considering 4runners, jeep cherokees, pathfinders, rodeos etc...

Masked Bandit
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Freeskier
Yeah i'm looking at the 5spd, and just weighing all the options. Im considering 4runners, jeep cherokees, pathfinders, rodeos etc...

Drop the Jeep, stay with the Pathfinder or 4Runner. The 4Runner will cost you more than the Pathfinder but I found my Pathfinder to be a fantastic vehicle.

I've owned three different vehicles with that powertrain ('88 2wd p/u, '93 4wd p/u & '95 Pathfinder) and I've never had any problems. They've all been higher mileage trucks as well and the Pathfinder was the automatic, no problems.