PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open Tennis

PureDeXteritY
01-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Anyone here watch tennis much?

Just finished watching Roddick Vs Djokovic.
Fricken brutal game, 65 degrees Celsius on the Court.
How hot does it have to get down there for them to close the roof at Rod Laver Arena?

Some good matches coming up though, looking forward to where this tournament is heading.

pyroza
01-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Did you purposely make this one in response to mine? lol

colinxx235
01-27-2009, 12:50 AM
not to mention it was 54 not 65 degrees....but very hot none the less

CKY
01-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Actually... I think it did get to 65, I didn't get to see the whole match but the beginning was around 50 degrees, and when I saw Roddick taking the third set, it was at 57-59 degrees. It was so hot there was sweat dripping off of Roddick's cap

PureDeXteritY
01-27-2009, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by pyroza
Did you purposely make this one in response to mine? lol
no? :dunno:

EDIT:

lol you know I didn't even see your thread.
Weird cause I looked to see if there was one before I made it.

EDIT #2:
Nevermind, your thread wasn't there when I went to submit this thread.
If you look, they were both made at 01-26-2009 11:45 PM
so we just made ours at exactly the same time

PureDeXteritY
01-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
You're right, it didn't get to 65 but it did get much hotter than 54. The peak temperature on the court was 63, I just rounded up.

PureDeXteritY
01-27-2009, 01:53 AM
EDIT: Accidental post

ZorroAMG
01-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by CKY
It was so hot there was sweat dripping off of Roddick's cap

Is that new? LMAO, sweatiest dude on the tour.

Roddick FTMFW!!

CKY
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Anyone watched Federer take apart Del Potro? I stopped after the second, you could tell Del Potro was too young and just gave up after the first bagel

Mibz
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by CKY
Anyone watched Federer take apart Del Potro? I stopped after the second, you could tell Del Potro was too young and just gave up after the first bagel Yeah, I watched the first set and a half. It all went downhill after the first break. I saw him regain some composure every now and then but he just looked mentally weak, he was already defeated.

in*10*se
01-27-2009, 07:03 PM
RODDICK FOR PRESIDENT! LOL!

FUCK YEAH! I HATE YOU DJOKOVIC!

now on to federer.... :(

Aleks
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
RODDICK FOR PRESIDENT! LOL!

FUCK YEAH! I HATE YOU DJOKOVIC!

now on to federer.... :(

Fuck I hate Ro Dick. Roger's going to kill him :poosie:

PureDeXteritY
01-27-2009, 08:48 PM
yeah, Del Potro definitely does not have that warrior mentality yet.

Not a big Roddick Fan, but he's been very impressive during this tournament.

I considered myself a pretty big Djokovic fan, but that was a big disappointment. He's gotta Man up if he wants to stay up there in the top 5's

JAYMEZ
01-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Great matches today! I went to Aussie 2 years ago.. Damn parties and women are :eek: Federer is gunna win :rolleyes:

CKY
01-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Great matches today! I went to Aussie 2 years ago.. Damn parties and women are :eek: Federer is gunna win :rolleyes:

My heart's all for Federer, but Roddick hasn't shown much weakness and the last time they played Roddick did win. Even if he does win his side of the draw, Nadal will see him in the final and he has been playing flawlessly thus far and I'm super worried for him. He'll need this title though or else theres gonna be huge pressure on him comes Wimbeldon.

ronaldo
01-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Wow Verdasco looked really good in that match

colinxx235
01-28-2009, 02:15 AM
yah verdasco has obviously does some major offseason training, I can't believe how well he's been playing, tsonga was destroying too and well he stopped him hard...

I really hope federer gets stuck playing a hot open top match vs roddick, probably the best chance...

for now... go simon take down nadallll

ronaldo
01-28-2009, 02:22 AM
no way simon can take down nadal. hes playing amazing tennis right now...

colinxx235
01-28-2009, 02:23 AM
haha yah... but I can hope can't I? I just really dislike nadal... but if simon can't I would definitely give verdasco a good shot at it

Aleks
01-28-2009, 07:50 AM
So how do they decide when to open and close the roof? With the Roddick match they left it open and it got to 50+ degrees. Last night I watched and the roof was open as well and Serena was losing but as soon as they closed it she breezed through her game. :dunno:

ZorroAMG
01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I want a Roddick v Nadal final....that way I wont care who wins...(still would like Roddick, but either way...)

Federer is boring and stuffy.

Team_Mclaren
01-28-2009, 11:22 AM
lol Roddick is so overrated.:poosie:

Mibz
01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
lol Roddick is so overrated.:poosie: While I can't argue with his, I do enjoy watching him and he's a -lot- easier to like than most other highly seeded players. The only player I enjoy watching more is Baghdatis, a shame he's not doing so well.

HyperZell
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Roddick is an interesting story. He's lost like 15 pounds thanks to his new coach, and he's playing some pretty good tennis. I like Djokovic so it's too bad he couldn't pull through, but I don't feel too bad about Roddick moving on.

I'm thinking another Nadal-Federer final though. They are both playing great - I can't believe that Del Potro lost so badly.

On a side note, my favorite player is Hewitt, which is unfortunate because he's been on a major slide for four years now, ever since he lost to Safin in the Aussie Open final in 2005.

Mibz
01-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell
On a side note, my favorite player is Hewitt, which is unfortunate because he's been on a major slide for four years now, ever since he lost to Safin in the Aussie Open final in 2005. I would always play as Hewitt in Smash Court Pro Tournament 2 :P

HyperZell
01-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I would always play as Hewitt in Smash Court Pro Tournament 2 :P

He's not a big enough star to be in any new tennis games =(

I have Top Spin 3 and it's got some okay guys, but no Djokovic or Gasquet, let a lone Hewitt.

malcolmk14
01-28-2009, 12:10 PM
The Nadal/Federer rivalry is so underrated in the sports world. This chapter would just be one more in what is probably one of the greatest sports rivalries of all time.

CKY
01-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by malcolmk14
The Nadal/Federer rivalry is so underrated in the sports world. This chapter would just be one more in what is probably one of the greatest sports rivalries of all time.

:werd: it's just never gotten to the same level as Sampras Agassi back in 90's, which it deservingly should

It'll be interesting match bet. Nadal and Verdasco IMO. Both lefty's, huge forehands (Nadal's is probably better since he started flattening the forehand this year), and both Spanish (that had nothing to do with it but). I think this will be the closest Nadal comes to playing a clone of himself

ZorroAMG
01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
lol Roddick is so overrated.:poosie:

What? Do you even watch tennis? He has the best and HARDEST serve and weapon of a Forehand in the history of the game, period. being 7th or 8th in the world hardly overrates him.

I do agree that his game needed more variety and that he needed to work on making his weak points much stronger. His dropping 15lbs didn't reduce his power and only made him quicker...I hope he continues to improve. That being said, he's in the same position as agassi in his last few years...go big or go home, he's not a kid anymore, his days are numbered.

Federer, while arguably the best player in history is worse than watching paint dry for entertainment purposes...

GO RODDICK!!!!

Team_Mclaren
01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

What? Do you even watch tennis? He has the best and HARDEST serve and weapon of a Forehand in the history of the game, period. being 7th or 8th in the world hardly overrates him.

I do agree that his game needed more variety and that he needed to work on making his weak points much stronger. His dropping 15lbs didn't reduce his power and only made him quicker...I hope he continues to improve. That being said, he's in the same position as agassi in his last few years...go big or go home, he's not a kid anymore, his days are numbered.

Federer, while arguably the best player in history is worse than watching paint dry for entertainment purposes...

GO RODDICK!!!!

huh, i have been watching tennis since the Sampras/Agassi days. Remember Rafter? Philippoussis? Kafelnikov? ;)

entertaining or not, winning is everything. Where has Roddick been since he won the US open, back in.... 2003?

HyperZell
01-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Umm...I don't really like Federer all that much, but the man is a genius. If you really understand shot-making and point control, he really is something else to see.Yes, he's not flashy or dramatic like Tsonga or Nadal are, but his skills are top-notch. Now excuse me while I cheer on his opponent.

ZorroAMG
01-28-2009, 05:31 PM

huh, i have been watching tennis since the Sampras/Agassi days. Remember Rafter? Philippoussis? Kafelnikov? ;)

entertaining or not, winning is everything. Where has Roddick been since he won the US open, back in.... 2003?

You aren't making any sense and addressed nothing from my post. :dunno:

Hyper, I understand perfectly well, the shot making skill federer possesses. I am talking overall athlete with skill AND personality in play....

but yeah...GO Roddick!! haha

PureDeXteritY
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
So how do they decide when to open and close the roof? With the Roddick match they left it open and it got to 50+ degrees. Last night I watched and the roof was open as well and Serena was losing but as soon as they closed it she breezed through her game. :dunno:

Ya seriously, WTF?
Now even though I think Djokovic's conditioning should be a lot better for a 3rd seed player, I definitely think they should of closed the roof for the Roddick/Djokovic match.

CKY
01-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Judging from their decision to not close the roof over the past two day's heat I think the only time they'll close it is for rain

And as for Federer, I agree that he doesn't appear to have the passion anyone else has on the tour, but that's just his personality (calm, composed), he doesn't even grunt on running or reaching shots. But that man is a true genius in terms of tennis IQ. He knows where to put all his shots (rarely if ever do you hear commentators say he made a bad choice or poor shot sequences). He has this sense of when the opponent is vulnerable during the match and attacks it (eg. when opposing players are going through rough patches on their fore or backhand, he has the instinct to know and attack it immediately just as the commentators would say it). Also, I can say without doubt he is the best player up in the net right now on tour, watching him put away opponents with precise volleys is an absolute art. Lastly, to call him boring to watch is like saying Gretzky, Zidane, or Tim Ducan are boring in their respective sports, imo, they may not wear their hearts on their sleeves out on the court doesn't mean they don't play with passion.

ZorroAMG
01-29-2009, 05:12 AM
I disagree, CKY....sure he is calm and makes flawless shots most of the time, it still doesn't make watching him exciting.

Watch him v Nadal and your eyes will always be on the Spaniard.

In sad news, Roddick went down in straights... :( 6/2 7/5 7/5

Suuuucks......

Aleks
01-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by CKY
Judging from their decision to not close the roof over the past two day's heat I think the only time they'll close it is for rain

And as for Federer, I agree that he doesn't appear to have the passion anyone else has on the tour, but that's just his personality (calm, composed), he doesn't even grunt on running or reaching shots. But that man is a true genius in terms of tennis IQ. He knows where to put all his shots (rarely if ever do you hear commentators say he made a bad choice or poor shot sequences). He has this sense of when the opponent is vulnerable during the match and attacks it (eg. when opposing players are going through rough patches on their fore or backhand, he has the instinct to know and attack it immediately just as the commentators would say it). Also, I can say without doubt he is the best player up in the net right now on tour, watching him put away opponents with precise volleys is an absolute art. Lastly, to call him boring to watch is like saying Gretzky, Zidane, or Tim Ducan are boring in their respective sports, imo, they may not wear their hearts on their sleeves out on the court doesn't mean they don't play with passion.

They closed the roof when Serena started to lose 2 days ago. It obviously favoured her.

I disagree, CKY....sure he is calm and makes flawless shots most of the time, it still doesn't make watching him exciting.

Watch him v Nadal and your eyes will always be on the Spaniard.

In sad news, Roddick went down in straights... :( 6/2 7/5 7/5

Suuuucks......

Does he still pick at his testicles before every serve? Haven't seen him play in a few months. :barf:

HyperZell
01-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah Serena just knocked off Dementiava with the roof closed. No idea why they didn't close it for the Djokovic-Roddick game.

And I admit that watching Federer isn't super exciting, but it's not boring either. His shot-making is exciting enough, but there are other players who have both skills and personality that I'd rather watch.

ZorroAMG
01-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Does he still pick at his testicles before every serve? Haven't seen him play in a few months. :barf:

Not as much hahahahahaha

I'm still in mourning over the loss :cry: LOL

ronaldo
01-30-2009, 03:13 AM
Verdasco is playing great vs. Nadal

CKY
01-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by ronaldo
Verdasco is playing great vs. Nadal

:werd: Nadal wasn't ready for this level of play from him

ronaldo
01-30-2009, 05:14 AM
fantastic match though, so back and forth.

cant believe no one broke serve till the end of the second set:eek:

bulaian
01-30-2009, 08:07 AM
can't believe this match is still going on right now :eek:

anyone else watching? this is sick

bulaian
01-30-2009, 08:08 AM
nvm Nadal just took it!!!

Woooohooo gooooo Nadal

:D

JordanAndrew
01-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Finally it ended after just over 5 hours.. geebus! Good game. Too bad Verdasco lost just because he can't serve anymore, as if he choked in the end of the game. :dunno:

HyperZell
01-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Stupid work...sounds like a great match =(

in*10*se
01-30-2009, 09:40 AM
nadal v federer final... should be a gooder.

Kennyredline
01-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Well, he'll win now for sure, since Nadal is gonna totally wiped after the 5hr 14 min semi...

CKY
01-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Sad to a match that good decided by a double fault, but I think Federer is gonna have an edge this time. They said Nadal's knees were buckled up and hand full of blisters. He does have a little less than two days but thats still a lot to recover from

HyperZell
01-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Just saw the last few games of the match. SICK. Verdasco really impressed and I think he is definitely going to be in the top 10, and with good reason.

ronaldo
02-01-2009, 04:04 AM
anyone watchin tonight? great match so far.

lexIS300
02-01-2009, 05:22 AM
very even match between the two, both are makin some unreal shots

Team_Mclaren
02-01-2009, 05:33 AM
fuck this is a close match! I have said so many "holy fucks" already :rofl:

Team_Mclaren
02-01-2009, 07:15 AM
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK what a match still...:cry: :cry: :cry:

PureDeXteritY
02-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Was rootin federer, but Congrats to Nadal.
That's all I got to say for now, I'm goin to bed :zzz:

HyperZell
02-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I tried to watch but couldn't stay awake - no testament to the match, of course. I'm starting to feel bad for Federer, but I know he's got a couple of majors left in him.

pyroza
02-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I watched the first set then went to sleep. Congrats to Rafa.

Rafa will win the French Open as usual
Wimbledon is a toss-up
Fed will win US

CKY
02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Watched the whole thing, gotta say I'm dissapointed in Roger to give the set away like that in the 5th

ronaldo
02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
fuck this is a close match! I have said so many "holy fucks" already :rofl:

there were so many shots where i was like you have got to be fucking kidding....unreal match

max_boost
02-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Nadal just has his number and he elevates his game to another level when playing Federer.

Did Sampras ever have a losing record against any player?

Federer is one of the best to ever play the game and will probably break the grand slam record but hard to consider him the best since Nadal has a winning record against him.

Rocky
02-01-2009, 06:19 PM
These two are phenomenal but once again Nadal takes one. I don't think it's a doubt about 14 or more titles for Fed, but I think the real issue at hand is more than that. Federer just doesn't feel like he can beat Nadal, you could see it in his eyes and his fifth set play. It's really upsetting to watch, especially because Federer is aging and Nadal is just hitting his peak. I want to see Federer beat Nadal again, but it's just hard to visualize, Nadal's play against Federer is unbelievable.

Sampras is lucky he didn't have to deal with a guy like Nadal during his time :p

CKY
02-01-2009, 07:14 PM
The problem is Nadal's game was naturally built to attack Federer's weaknesses, and neutralize most of his strengths.

Being a lefty Nadal has the advantage in forehand rallies as the massive topspin generated by his forehands leaves such a high bounce, it leaves Federer's one handed backhand returns usually short or lacking control in direction, allowing Nadal to go on the offense and dictate the rally. Not to mention there's often consistency issues with Federer's backhand.

Federer's only two solutions to this is:
1. step into the ball, flatten it out and go crosscourt
2. slice it back

Problem with solution 1 is that
a) It is a much higher risk shot for a one-hander to consistantly hit the flat backhand for a winner than a two-hander.
b) The down the line backhand isn't an option since most one-handers (as opposed to two handers) can't drive the ball hard enough to beat somebody like Nadal.
c) Nadal's amazing footwork allows him to take the ball early and doesn't give Federer the time to set up to hit the flat shot unless he was on a dead run.

2. Most opponents are forced to the defensive when Federer hits his signature deep, penetrating backhand slice, not Nadal. If hit to his forehand, he can generate enough top spin back on the return to not allow Federer to get on the offensive. If hit to his backhand, Nadal's backhand has improved enough (as shown in the Australian Open) that he can just step into it and drive it either way for a winner.

The other problem is Federer's ego. He has dominated the men's tour for so long that he doesn't believe change is nesscesary (as noted by his coaching issues, most of his former coaches have been quoted that Federer is a very stubborn learner). This wasn't an issue prior to 2007 since Nadal was still learning and no other righties were enough of a threat to challenge Federer. However, as Federer seems to be on the decline (and seemingly endless incline of Nadal's game), Federer hasn't made the nescessary adjustments to specifically cater to Nadal's skillsets. Since his superiority complex for being no.1 for so long leads him to believe there is no reason for him to do so. Hence his reluctance to shift a step left on Nadal's serves and/or stepping in the second serve for a flat forehand or backhand (for those of you that watched the final would knowwhat I'm talking about).

Unless Federer starts to accept that fact that he cannot play his brand of tennis identically to everyone on tour, and devise a special gameplan for Nadal. He will not be able to beat him. As proven now that Nadal has beaten him on every surface possible.

Rocky
02-01-2009, 09:30 PM
^Good read. I'm not a tennis buff, in fact I rarely watch matches, but I think it's a spot on assessment, particularly after watching the game this morning.

ZorroAMG
02-01-2009, 11:06 PM
That was really well put, CKY. It was evident in Roger's post match breakdown that he is finally realizing he's got to work harder now. It was nice to see Robot Roger show some fucking emotion for once. He is drier than Melba toast....

ronaldo
02-02-2009, 01:22 AM
That's a great analogy. You could tell from the start of the match the frustration Roger was feeling and he just didn't want to adjust. If Roger wants to beat Rafa he will have to change his mentality...