PDA

View Full Version : Computer does not boot up

rumeo
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Help guys! Comp says possible hardware or software change on start up. Starting normally or last known working mode quickly flashes a blue screen and then restarts. Trying to go to safe mode just brings up list of drivers? Help!!!!

revelations
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow, could you give us a little LESS information to work with?

Sounds a bit like:

"My car wont start and I tried turning the key"

How about:

Your OS and version
Any changes you made to the PC before this incident
Age of PC
Age of OS install
Any AV installed

Mibz
01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
Trying to go to safe mode just brings up list of drivers? Help!!!! Haha, have you tried waiting while that list of drivers is loaded?

FreakinPrince
01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
^^ exactly....:banghead: :thumbsdow :banghead: :banghead:

YCB
01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

rumeo
01-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry for the lack of info guys. It is Windows XP, Medion computer, pentium 4. Turns out the hardrive is corrupted, and I guess I need a new one.

As you can already tell I'm noob to this stuff.

1.Is it fairly hard to replace a hard drive, or is it pretty much plug and play?

2. Am I still able to back up my info?

3. How much will a new hard drive cost me?

Thanks guys

adam c
01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
there are different kinds of hard drives, just take the HD you have and goto a computer store and say you need another one of these

you then need to reinstall XP, there's a chance you can recover some of your files from the old HD by slaving it to the new one

sjpeters79
01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
If you have the win xp cd, try booting from the cd and go win repair/recovery menu (F8 or F12) and see if that helps.

SpireTECH
01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by rumeo
Sorry for the lack of info guys. It is Windows XP, Medion computer, pentium 4. Turns out the hardrive is corrupted, and I guess I need a new one.

As you can already tell I'm noob to this stuff.

1.Is it fairly hard to replace a hard drive, or is it pretty much plug and play?

2. Am I still able to back up my info?

3. How much will a new hard drive cost me?

Thanks guys

Hi Rumeo,

I'm not sure if the information got passed along to you, but our tech found out a few things while on-site the other day.

The blue screen error message you are getting is UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. You can receive this for a number of reasons, all of them related to the hard drive. You sometimes see this message if someone had been messing around with components inside the computer. Since that is not the case, this error message would indicate a hard drive failure, either a mechanical one or corruption of the file system.

Our tech was able to load a recovery disk and view the files on the hard drive. So recovery seems plausible, although it's impossible to guarantee complete recovery. Since it seems likely some parts of the file system are already corrupt, there may be some files that are already permanently destroyed. While the recovery console was up, our technician noticed several ATA errors and drive timeouts. This means there is a problem with the drive itself, and is probably the reason the file system was corrupted.

It may be possible to repair the file system, and restore normal operation temporarily. This involves running a chkdsk /r from a recovery console. However, due to the strange ATA errors it's unlikely that this fix will be permanent. If you choose to go this route the next failure could be much worse. The labour to repair the file system is about the same as simply copying the data, and has no guarantee of success.

Our tech quoted 2-4 hours to replace the hard drive, and copy the data off of the old one. A replacement 160GB IDE hard drive is $65.

dvrshark
08-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

revelations
08-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the 7 month bump :rolleyes: