PDA

View Full Version : New HEMI!

5.9 R/T
08-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Only one month until these little monsters start showing up under the hoods of the new ram 2500 and 3500's. At 5.7L and 354cid it is slightly smaller then the engine it replaces (5.9L 360cid) but the power increase is amazing. 345hp@5400rpm and 375ft/lbs@4200rpm of tq this motor distroys the 5.9 in power and fuel economy (8 to 10% better then the 5.9). Not to mention the fact that it will be the most powerful small block V8 offered by any of the big three. Sporting 2 spark plugs per cylinder, aluminum heads, and chryslers first 'drive by wire' throttle system, "The HEMI architecture produces power that is comparable to an overhead cam engine, but is more cost-effective" (car-trucknews.com) Sweet motor, hopefully it shows up in the dakota in the same power tune. That would be one screamin little truck.

frenchdriver
08-15-2002, 06:32 PM
are you already thinking of swapping it with your 5.9? :thumbsup:

redline_13000
08-15-2002, 06:56 PM
thats a nice engine:clap:

T5_X
08-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Is it an iron block?

Why do they need 2 spark plugs/cyl? Are they mounted accross from each other? Is it cause the hemi cyl heads are oversized and require 2 plugs for a full combustion?

What's "drive by wire"?

Anyway, seems like an awesome engine! Are they gonna put it in the 1/2 tons? I think in a 3/4 or 1 ton I'd rather take that new 5.9 TD I-6

GTS Jeff
08-15-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
Is it an iron block?

Why do they need 2 spark plugs/cyl? Are they mounted accross from each other? Is it cause the hemi cyl heads are oversized and require 2 plugs for a full combustion?

What's "drive by wire"?

Anyway, seems like an awesome engine! Are they gonna put it in the 1/2 tons? I think in a 3/4 or 1 ton I'd rather take that new 5.9 TD I-6 drive by wire refers to an electronic throttle control. gas pedal position is monitored with a sensor, and the readings are sent to the ecu, which decides how much to open the throttle, based on all its inputs like rpm, load, pedal position, etc..

its a rather old innovation, but then again, so are aluminum heads.

Fluidic
08-16-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
drive by wire refers to an electronic throttle control. gas pedal position is monitored with a sensor, and the readings are sent to the ecu, which decides how much to open the throttle, based on all its inputs like rpm, load, pedal position, etc..

its a rather old innovation, but then again, so are aluminum heads.

I have this... I love it... just as good as cable IMO! :)

Peter

Speed_RaSiR
08-16-2002, 07:24 AM
cool :thumbsup: that thing must chug the petros.

three.eighteen.
08-16-2002, 09:14 AM
how do you rev the engine from under the hood with drive by wire systems?

5.9 R/T
08-16-2002, 01:03 PM
OK the drive by wire system on the HEMI is computer controlled. As you push down the throttle the computer senses it's position and then transmits the signal to a DC motor that controls the throttle butterflies, like jeff type r said. The reason i mentioned it was because it will be the first motor from chrysler to have it, and i believe the first truck from detroit to have it as well. The motor does need two spark plugs to aid in emmisions, to achieve a complete burn like you said. It is an iron block with aluminum heads. There have been rumors of this motor finding a home in chrylser's pasenger cars, specifically the 300M's replacement, and also in the 1500's (1/2 ton) and the dakota's. But for now you can only get them in the 2500 or 3500's when they arrive. No not thinking of swapping this with the 5.9, there's a little truck called the SRT-10 that I have my eye on right now...

Fluidic
08-16-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
how do you rev the engine from under the hood with drive by wire systems?

You don't! :D

Peter

E36M3
08-16-2002, 06:15 PM
From what I hear, it has been confirmed that the 300N (300M replacement) will ship with the hemi engine. It will be interesting to see a car like that actually made.

I can't wait to rent one :)

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
OK the drive by wire system on the HEMI is computer controlled. As you push down the throttle the computer senses it's position and then transmits the signal to a DC motor that controls the throttle butterflies, like jeff type r said. The reason i mentioned it was because it will be the first motor from chrysler to have it, and i believe the first truck from detroit to have it as well. The motor does need two spark plugs to aid in emmisions, to achieve a complete burn like you said. It is an iron block with aluminum heads. There have been rumors of this motor finding a home in chrylser's pasenger cars, specifically the 300M's replacement, and also in the 1500's (1/2 ton) and the dakota's. But for now you can only get them in the 2500 or 3500's when they arrive. No not thinking of swapping this with the 5.9, there's a little truck called the SRT-10 that I have my eye on right now...

T5_X
08-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Will that be the only car with a pushrod V8 then? I think chev's 3.8L V6 is still pushrod, I can't think of any other cars that have pushrod engines.

Silencer
08-17-2002, 01:11 AM
Will that be the only car with a pushrod V8 then? I think chev's 3.8L V6 is still pushrod, I can't think of any other cars that have pushrod engines.

the 3.8L Ford V6 for the base mustang is OHV I believe.

5.9 R/T
08-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
From what I hear, it has been confirmed that the 300N (300M replacement) will ship with the hemi engine. It will be interesting to see a car like that actually made.

I can't wait to rent one :)

Early 2004 is when it should hit showroom floors, thats also when all of chrysler's 'big cars' switch to a RWD platform. While the 300N will be HEMI powered as an option the motor that will be used will probably be an all aluminum version of the 5.7 to give the car lighter weight and better handling.

4wheeldrift
08-17-2002, 08:30 PM

The corvette is still using a pushrod 350.

5.9 R/T
08-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

The corvette is still using a pushrod 350.

It's actually not a 350. It's a 347 or 8 i believe, but i think he was refuring to passenger cars not sports cars.

4wheeldrift
08-17-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

It's actually not a 350. It's a 347 or 8 i believe, but i think he was refuring to passenger cars not sports cars.

Pushrod 5.7L, whatever that works out to in CI. He didn't really say what he was refering to, i took it to be V8s in general.

T5_X
08-17-2002, 11:44 PM
sorry, i meant passenger cars. The LS1 (and ZO6 LS6) engine is of course pushrod, and ford's stang V6 is too. off the top of my head, I think that the prowler is too, and the T-bird might be, not sure... and of course the firbird/camaro which will be leaving us for 03

But in passenger cars, is GM's 3.8 the only one?

edit: I actually found that GM's 3.1L used in the malibu, century and (base) grand prix is still pushrod.

also, the 3.4L used in the grand am and alero is pushrod. This is actually interesting (and a little disturbing) because this engine started out as a high performance, bored out 3.1L in the early 90s. It had DOHC and put out over 200 HP back then. Actually, my friend has that engine in her 92 Z34. I think it's a sweet engine (though unreliable) I assumed that this 3.4 kept the DOHC all the way up till now but I guess in the late 90s they went back to pushrod (no doubt to keep things cheaper and more reliable)

and.... I just looked at ford's website and they list the 02 taurus as having the 155 HP/185 lb-ft 3L V6 with no other engine options. Now those figures mean for sure that this engine is the 3.0L Vulcan, which is the engine I have in my truck and is definitly pushrod. Yet on the ranger forums the other day, a guy was saying how his dad's new taurus has the 200 Hp 3.0L duratech engine (joint developed by mazda and ford for the escape/tribute) I also THINK I remember reading in a newer car and driver review that the new taurus has 200Hp, which makes me think... maybe it's not equipped with this engine in canada... strange.... I'll keep this on my mind and see wtf is up.

edit: (again)
Minor mystery solved. the 3L pushrod vulcan is the base engine offered in all models of taurus in canada, no other engines available. The base engine in the US is also the vulcan, but only for the Lx, Se and Ses trims. Higher Sel trims come base with the 3L duratech, which also makes the US SEL trim much more expensive than the canadian SEL trim :)

5.9 R/T
08-18-2002, 02:25 PM
No, the prowler is a 3.5L DOHC motor, same engine in the 300M. Chrysler does not offer a pushrod motor in any of it's passenger cars. In fact the HEMI, the V10 and the Cummins will be the only motors of the pushrod design once the 5.9 V8 and the 4.0 I6 get the boot in the next year or so.