PDA

View Full Version : Fido? all the sudden $77 for 1.5mb?

C4S
01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
:banghead: :banghead:

Well, I have been with Fido for 7 years, not the best service, but probably same as others ..

And I have been using the same iphone since Sept 2007, so far so good, and of course, I use wi fi once a while, and I told Fido about it since I got my iphone, just to make sure they won't charge me some stupif fee ..

Untill last month .. from no where, with 1.5mb date used .. they charge me $77 for it ????? :guns: :guns: (1.5mb for $77 is crazy! and I didn't use it .. )

So, I guess it must be a mistake, and called them to find out .. as I use wi fi at work, and when I go to friend's place etc .. I use wi fi as well ..

Fido said " sorry, when the wi fi signal is weak, it may switch to the data whatever, and it will cost u ... nothing we can do .. and it is not a fido phone .. so we have no control .. but we can give u discount .. "

:banghead: :banghead: :guns: :guns:

WTF ? I bet some members here have experienced same shit???

How come it never happened for 1.5 yr, but now?? first few month with iphone, I checked my bill very careful, and called fido few times, to make sure they won't charge me like that .. but now ?? :facepalm: :facepalm:

zipdoa
01-27-2009, 02:10 PM
That's why you either disable data, or get a data plan. at TELUS we call this Data Shock and give a 1 time credit for KB overage. I refunded a WHOLE lot more than $77 the other day, shouldn't be a problem getting your money back, as long as you're polite.

C4S
01-27-2009, 02:24 PM
:dunno:

Oh .. after long chat with fido .. :banghead:

First time .. the lady from service .. ( ? ) has no clue .. keeps saying nothing she can do .. can only offer some "discount" to me .. :banghead:

Then I said "It doesn't help, so I should switch to Rogers or Telus etc .. " she replied " sorry, u need 30 days notice in order to cancel with Fido, and I can transfer you to cancellation deppartment .... "

At the end, I talked to another lady ( from the cancellation department? ) then first thing she said is " sorry sir, I understand your situation, I will credit you $77 back, and will disable the data function for you .. bluh bluh bluh ... "

So .. it is fixed now .. I guess :dunno:

Zero102
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah this is a huge risk with the iPhone, it silently fails over to the cell data network if your wifi drops. If you check under your usage you should see the 1.5MB showing on your phone too.

Best bet to prevent this from happening in the future is to jailbreak it and kill both 3G and EDGE, then it can't use them. The alternative is to just get a data plan. Thats what I did. Now its my portable GPS, mobile browser, whatever, even when there isn't wifi :)

toyboy88
01-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Yeah this is a huge risk with the iPhone, it silently fails over to the cell data network if your wifi drops. If you check under your usage you should see the 1.5MB showing on your phone too.

Keep in mind there have been user tests on HoFo etc. where the data usage calculator on the iPhone isn't the same as what Rogers charges.

Ie. One guy's iPhone said 300MB for that month, Rogers bill said 570MB.

So just a headsup, it's not the most accurate thing.

roopi
01-27-2009, 11:02 PM
What do you mean its not a Fido phone? Is it a 2G iPhone? If so just remove the Fido data settings from the phone and you will never run into this problem again.

C4S
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
It is just the 2G .. as I said .. I have been using this same iphone since Sept 2007 .. never have this happened before ... :dunno:

Well .. anyway, after go back and fore .. fido wont charge me, and disable the data setting or whatever for me...

Was thinking to get 3G iphone, but I never have contract .... and got wi fi at work and home .. so rarely need other date stuff .. :dunno:

HyperZell
01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Sorry, but the English here is absolutely crushing my soul.

Anyways, the simple thing to do is to call the carrier and disable both 3G and Edge. No jailbreaking or crap like that needed - a simple 2 minute phone call.

rumeo
01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
as others have said, if you only use your phone for wifi best thing to do is to block the internet, as the lady did for you. most carriers will give you a 1 time credit for such events like this. They do keep it on record ofcourse so if this happens to you again they can say they warned you and youre SOL

l/l/rX
01-28-2009, 01:18 AM
heh i work for fido and i see this plenty of times. People who come in with 2g iphones or get the 3g with no data plan, we warn them and make them sign this form saying basically "you're shit out of luck if you "accidently" use the data. You will be responsible for all the charges, which is 0.05/kb."

but whatever in your situation and in future situations for other people, customer service are not the right people to talk to, either customer relations or retention will get you your money back. talk with those people. They'll be in your favor only if your account is in good standing and few other factors.

roopi
01-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I just don't understand how people can accidently use data on a 2G phone. You have to enter the Fido/Rogers data settings to get data on the phone. Why would someone take the time to do this and never plan on using it?

GQBalla
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by C4S
:dunno:

Oh .. after long chat with fido .. :banghead:

First time .. the lady from service .. ( ? ) has no clue .. keeps saying nothing she can do .. can only offer some "discount" to me .. :banghead:

Then I said "It doesn't help, so I should switch to Rogers or Telus etc .. " she replied " sorry, u need 30 days notice in order to cancel with Fido, and I can transfer you to cancellation deppartment .... "

At the end, I talked to another lady ( from the cancellation department? ) then first thing she said is " sorry sir, I understand your situation, I will credit you $77 back, and will disable the data function for you .. bluh bluh bluh ... "

So .. it is fixed now .. I guess :dunno:

this is usually what happens in call centers.

the people in rententions its their job to retain the customer.

the csr you spoke to is impowered to keep the customer too but to each and their own judgement.

when i was workin at star choice i was really good with customers and i basically always gave stuff away. Every time i worked i gave away stuff.

one time i even sent this guy 2 DVR's 600 bucks each for free cause he was nice to me about his already existing DVR's.

and i didn't get in trouble once.

szw
01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by roopi
I just don't understand how people can accidently use data on a 2G phone. You have to enter the Fido/Rogers data settings to get data on the phone. Why would someone take the time to do this and never plan on using it?

No they don't. Once they upgrade to firmware 2.0 and above the APN settings for your provider are automatically added to your phone. Also the menu option to go in there and change it is removed.