PDA

View Full Version : bachelor of education

smokedog
01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Want to go back to school and become a teacher. Has been a while since i graduated high school(2003). Just wonderin' what is the easiest Major. My grades in high school were okay(70-80's) in all core subjects except English. So i will not pursue a major in English.

gretz
01-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by smokedog
Want to go back to school and become a teacher. Has been a while since i graduated high school(2003). [Just wonderin' what is the easiest Major]. My grades in high school were okay(70-80's) in all core subjects except English. So i will not pursue a major in English.

Dont even bother going - easiest major? Do something you want to do, it is your life. If you pick something because it is 'easy', I guarentee it will be a waste of your time/money.

Find out what you like, Find what courses will point you in that direction and do something you will enjoy doing.

[An uninteresting "easy" course will be more difficult than any "hard" course that you have interest in, especially if you are going to teach it]

WWJAI
01-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by gretz

Dont even bother going - easiest major? Do something you want to do, it is your life. If you pick something because it is 'easy', I guarentee it will be a waste of your time/money.

That's easy enough to say, but not easy to do. I believe it's something like 6/10 people are unhappy with their jobs/careers. I am assuming the other 4/10 are usually people who are not happy with their jobs but they don't mind what they do. Majority of people go to school to earn more money in the future, not because they enjoy learning a majority of crap they'll never use again in their life. High salary jobs keep people handcuffed to their jobs. I respect what your saying but if we all followed your advice, many of us would be willing to do our dream jobs for low pay...which just doesn't happen.

Edit: Sorry to the OP for being off topic.

LUDELVR
01-27-2009, 05:42 PM
To be honest mate, heaps of people I work with are not even teaching in their respective fields! Some people are able to eventually get into their fields, but so many people have been stuck in their positions and have been so for an easy 10 years! They don't bother moving either because they become complacent and simply can't be fussed!

As for getting into the program, I would get into it any way I could simply to get into it. The more popular the course (English, SS, PE) the more the competition.

To be perfectly honest, I recommend going over seas to attain your degree. First of all, the U of C course is an absolute fucking joke! Those 2 years could have been easily condensed into a semester which could have been used to go over seas to get my degree. I ended moving to NZ with an girl and she took the course there (they bent her over on tuition, charged her 15000 nzd and they charged kiwis 3000!!). Besides, the U of C course taught me everything I would soon revamp and discard.

The U of L was the place I initially wanted to get my BEd but it was damn near impossible to get into. Either way, my experience teaching over seas has taught me one thing...that the educational system in Alberta (even Canada for that matter) is WAY behind and could use a HUGE lesson from our southern hemispherical counterparts!! As a matter of fact, I've heard that the U of C is attempting to get some people from NZ to help alter their curriculum.

:dunno:

The way I teach now has very little to no reflection of what I learnt from the U of C. It's actually geared towards "learning" and not marks!!

The_Rural_Juror
01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
It's actually geared towards "learning" and not marks!!

Coming from you:

Giggity giggity

chathamf
01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
To be perfectly honest, I recommend going over seas to attain your degree.

If you attain the degree overseas can you teach anywhere in Canada with it? Because I'm pretty sure if you attain a teaching degree in saying Nova Scotia then you can only really teach in NS.

Just curious as I am heading back to school to become a teacher as well, and when it's time for the bED I would be interested in going overseas.

DelSoln
01-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by chathamf

If you attain the degree overseas can you teach anywhere in Canada with it?

Definitely not always the case. I can't speak for the other provinces but I know in Alberta you may have to take a few additional courses to obtain your teaching certificate.

LUDELVR
01-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

Definitely not always the case. I can't speak for the other provinces but I know in Alberta you may have to take a few additional courses to obtain your teaching certificate.

Yes, that's exactly the case. The girl I went over seas with got hired on right away but must take a few extra courses to be certified in Alberta. The school is allowing her to do this while she is working so it's really not that big of a deal. Another mate of mine went to Oz to get her degree and she was in the same boat and completed the courses on her own time and she's had a permanent contract and has been teaching for a while now.

LUDELVR
01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Coming from you:

Giggity giggity

Come on now mate! I'm all about the learning experience...like who I never want to sleep with again!! ;) Mind you it's the "marks" on my unmentionables that I have to live with! :banghead: :poosie: :barf: :rofl:

Wow, see if I ever get a blowie from any bird from this website!! :rofl: