PDA

View Full Version : Co-op at U of C!

Unikkatil
01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Was just wondering is the Co-op at uofc worth it. Im in energy economics and im just wondering if i should go ahead and do the co-op. Anyone go through it or tried to go through it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

kaput
01-28-2009, 08:58 AM

mdeluxe
01-28-2009, 09:09 AM
I was in the coop program, and it was great. You should be happy if you get in. Id apply if I were you.

I did one at shell and 3 years later im still here. its pretty good to meet people and get on with good companies

supe
01-28-2009, 09:15 AM
I did it for com sci. It was for Cognos in Ottawa. Some of the best times of my life, both from the professional experience and personal.

Its a full time job, so why not.

Chester
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Do it. Looks great on your resume and highest paying summer job you will ever have while your a student.

Neil4Speed
01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Definitely do a co-op if your able to in Economics, it makes your job possibilities more secure after graduation.

harv91
01-28-2009, 02:10 PM
lol i thought they opened a coop grocery store inside the university :nut:

Eleanor
01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Chester
Do it. Looks great on your resume and highest paying summer job you will ever have while your a student.
:werd:

As much as I hated dealing with Career Services, it's worth it.

Unikkatil
01-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Would have been good to read these reply's sooner.

Should have put more effort in my application process, hopefully I didn't mess this up.

t_soarer
01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Worth it 100%. Pay and experience. Especially in times like these where it's good to stay in school a bit longer.

sk8r3124
01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I graduated with an economics degree from the UofC, and my biggest regret was not getting involved in the Co-op program. I think if I did, I would be at a job that I enjoy being at and would actually use the skills from my education, and instead now everyday looking for a new job that will actually use my skills. Any opportunity at an "in" upon graduation is a plus.

toastgremlin
01-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I just got back from internship for CS; the department mismanaged my internship a lot but the internship office people themselves were fine. Absolutely worth it for the experience and the money, and if you're in a competitive program it can really set you apart from your peers when it comes time for job applications.

Ebon
01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Either do coop or find an internship yourself. Both have their pros and cons but any work experience is better then none.

If you going for coop try and find out how its seen by the industry that you want to go into after you finish.

Some like to you diversify (different types of jobs or even unrelated jobs during your work terms) but that brings up questions of whether you actually know what you want to do and if they want to take the chance hiring you.

Others would want focus (all similar jobs during work terms, pretty difficult unless your goal is pretty general) but if your goal industry wants all-rounders your screwed unless you have other things.

Unikkatil
01-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by sk8r3124
I graduated with an economics degree from the UofC, and my biggest regret was not getting involved in the Co-op program. I think if I did, I would be at a job that I enjoy being at and would actually use the skills from my education, and instead now everyday looking for a new job that will actually use my skills. Any opportunity at an "in" upon graduation is a plus.

Hey man, I was just wondering what line of job do you do. Did your econ degree help you get that job. Just curious what you thought about the UofC econ degree and whether employers valued it.

ralliart_girl
01-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Alot of major companies like to hire their co-op students when they finish school.....so it is really good idea to do the program, plus, doesn't hurt to get a taste of what the industry is like.

sk8r3124
01-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Unikkatil

Hey man, I was just wondering what line of job do you do. Did your econ degree help you get that job. Just curious what you thought about the UofC econ degree and whether employers valued it.

I am an analyst for a Market Research firm. Honestly, My econ degree did not help me land the job I currently have. And to all honesty, with the way the University spits out graduates, there is way too much competition out there to just settle for just the ECON degree. You have to do something that separates you from the rest. Re-invest in some more education. There is plenty of other stuff to compliment your degree. For me, it is pursuing my CFA charter.

(Sidenote) Anyone you did a co-op and has some connections in your industry, send em my way. I could use them in my job hunting process. (/Sidenote)

Unikkatil
01-31-2009, 06:37 PM

I am an analyst for a Market Research firm. Honestly, My econ degree did not help me land the job I currently have. And to all honesty, with the way the University spits out graduates, there is way too much competition out there to just settle for just the ECON degree. You have to do something that separates you from the rest. Re-invest in some more education. There is plenty of other stuff to compliment your degree. For me, it is pursuing my CFA charter.

(Sidenote) Anyone you did a co-op and has some connections in your industry, send em my way. I could use them in my job hunting process. (/Sidenote)

Thats good to hear. Was it hard for you to get that job? I was actually thinking about pursuing the CFA program as well but I am not sure as I don't want to commit to a set field just yet. I am also doing the Applied Energy Economics concentration and the Management minor so hopefully the extra amount of effort and time that I am spending is not for a waste.

Sidenote: Yeah for sure, I need to get some workterms in first lol.

Ebon
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM

QFT

Unless your planning more school right after to hide from the recession get co-op or work terms under your belt to distinguish yourself. I'm planning on an internship in my 3rd year. Also if I didn't change faculties my degree would have been completed in 3 years. I plan to use it to help distinguish myself since there are less people with the course load ive done over the same amount of time.

A high GPA also works nicely, only real measure most employers will see about how intelligent you unless you've won awards or they make you take a IQ/personality test.

flipstah
02-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Before, I was a tad iffy on doing co-op but given the current economic atmosphere, it totally made it concrete for me to go co-op. I'm tweaking my application as we speak and hopefully, they accept me!

If you're still having doubts, do it up for sure! Unless you have the relative work experience then... don't.

You'll be taking my spot. :D