PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a personal trainer?

Dumbass17
01-28-2009, 01:22 PM
i have been working out for a few months now and i've seem some gains, but i want to maximize my work out and see if there are any great tips that a personal fitness trainer may provide for me

has anyone done something like this?
any recommendations?
is it over-priced?

i'm just looking for like a one time consultation to analyze and optimize my workout

thanks in advance

kwjent
01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
If your going to be getting a trainer try to look for someone with a good cliental or someone that is educated ex. B.Kinn. There are so many trainers that really don't know too much. you can take this three week course and be called a Personal Trainer. The YMCA are really well priced. Good Luck.

Dumbass17
01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
yeah
my form is awesome and everything and i know what i'm doing
i just want more input ya know, i may be over looking something. :dunno:

i never really get the intense "burn" from working out nowadays. not sure what's going on :(

WWJAI
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Personally, I think asking for a personal trainer is a waste of time and money unless you've never actually worked out in a gym before. I agree with kwjent as I see a couple trainers at my gym who don't look like they don't know a whole lot about training someone properly.

I think if you want advice, just look around at other individuals working out who look like they know what they are doing and are in great physical condition and just strike a conversation with them about working out. (As long as their not in the middle of their set or having earphones on) Free and you can make a gym buddy.

kutt3r
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
yeah
my form is awesome and everything and i know what i'm doing

i never really get the intense "burn" from working out nowadays. not sure what's going on :(

^^^
That scares me right there...I have heard that all too often as the guy quarter sqauts or is leaning forward....

What are you training for? Figure that out first then decide what kind of trainer you are looking for. I wouldnt reccomend a PL/strength coach if you want to BB or vice versa.

I would not reccomend your standard WHC type trainer, while I am sure there are a few good ones, most are probably bunk.

I would not just look for a degree either, experience plays a huge part in what works and what doesnt...but a degree is always nice.
Having nutrition background is always good too.

The value of a good personal trainer is infinite...

cornelius85
01-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I just signed up with Steve at WHC Macleod trail and have done 48 previous sessions with him. He knows what he is talking about and there are a lot at that gym that dont. Another good one there is Clayton. I need to work on my form more. You may think you are doing it with proper form, but 9 times out of 10 you probably aren't. I know I always think I am, but if Steve is around he always points out my form on certain lifts. Also having the personal trainer to push you that extra really helps. It is expensive, but in my mind it is worth it seeing the results much faster than you would on your own.

Dumbass17
01-29-2009, 09:26 PM
hmm
well the few guys i always see in the gym (who kno what they are doing) have even said i've got good form and control when i lift
hmm

ragu
01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
I think personal trainers can work really good if they have experience, take their job seriously and know what they are doing. I know this guy who goes to Golds gym in NW, in 2 years he went from 6'1 140lbs to 200lbs....superb eh!

hukgwai
01-29-2009, 09:40 PM
that's called anabolics...

Darkane
01-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

Yes it's called diet.

Training is just part of the battle. How much are you eating, what are you eating and how is it affecting your body?

Are you gaining? Maintaining? hungry?

Nobody ever wants to put time in the diet, that's where the gains are made if things are good in the gym,

ragu
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by hukgwai
that's called anabolics...

Anything that you can't do is steroids rite?
You can make these gains without anabolic steroids...
I mean how hard is it to understand, guy was 140 skinny as fuck, he gained about 60 pounds in 2 years obviously its not pure muscle but come on it is entirely possible.....You are what you eat and with proper work out its doable.

hukgwai
01-29-2009, 09:56 PM
with the same body composition (ie 14% body fat)... impossible. it is possible though if half of the gains are fat.