PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

Budlac
01-28-2009, 04:38 PM
OK Here is the low-down.

99' Plymouth Grand Voyager

We are trying to sell it, but you can't get much for a vehicle with the problems it has.

-Occasionally when you turn it on, it will turn over, the RPM will stabilize, but the RPM gauge won't read anything. And after about 5 seconds the RPM drops out and turns off. It will do this about 3 or 4 times before it doesn't respond to any ignition what-so-ever.

The only correction to the problem I have found is time. It will usually turn over and run smooth after about 5 hours of inactivity.

-The driver's side power window does not work. Occasionally you can roll it down a bit before the electrical stops responding, and then you have to wait a while to roll it back up.

-A more frequent problem that has been occurring more and more as time goes on is: my entire gauge cluster will drop to zeros. No RPM, no speedo, no gas gauge, no temperature gauge, it doesn't even tell you what gear you are in.

I think it may help to note that when this occurs 3 lights come on: the Service Engine light, the Alarm Set light, and the ABS.

-We got it checked out and had the starter and battery examined, both are fine...

Any ideas for a diagnosis/cure?

Thanks

Tom

Budlac
01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
No ideas? :(

prae
01-30-2009, 09:00 PM
could be a bad engine control module? :dunno: I'm no mechanic

I wouldn't read too much into the window as it ought to be completely unrelated. Our '96 plymouth voyager had weird electrical gremlins in the windows and wipers etc....

You aren't going to get much coin for that car even if it worked correctly so I would be careful what you spend diagnosing/fixing the problem... but you already knew that I'm sure.

GL with it!

revelations
01-31-2009, 12:56 AM
plug in a OBD reader and see if you get any codes....

my guess, as above... faulty ECM or a short/bad ground somewhere

You will likely have to consult an electrical diagram to see if there is a common control module that connects them all, or a common ground perhaps.

Justin_Inc
01-31-2009, 04:09 AM
check your grounds and positive cables (give them alittle tug to see if they are ok internally as well)

As for the power windows, sounds like the switch is nfg to me.