PDA

View Full Version : 802.11n performance?

rage2
01-28-2009, 07:24 PM
So, after one of my wifi access points blew up, I decided to upgrade to the latest 802.11n spec wifi. Picked up a D-Link dual band router (which deploys both 2.4ghz as well as 5ghz networks in one box) and started doing some benchmarks.

First off, on the network over wire, my laptop can easily send a file at 100mbps to my file server (limited by the 100mbps connection).

First off, tested my old 802.11g 2.4ghz network.

802.11g 2.4ghz - 14.58mbps

Next, I setup the DLink router, and tested both 2.4ghz and 5ghz modes. I forced both my laptop's wifi adapter as well as the router to the 40mhz wide channel mode. Unfortunately, because there are 16 visible 2.4ghz networks nearby, the router won't go into the wide channel mode (it effectively fucks all my neighbors up lol).

802.11n 2.4ghz - 18.90mbps
802.11n 5.0ghz - 23.76mbps

Pretty quick, but nothing close to what some people claim to be getting. I've seen reports of guys hitting 80-120mbps. So out of curiosity, I picked up a matching DLink adapter. Same chipset, better speeds right?

802.11n 2.4ghz - 17.82mbps
802.11n 5.0ghz - 37.80mbps

Still, nowhere near the 80+ mbps that people are reporting. That and 2.4ghz suffered.

Any of you guys played with n networks and know how to get more speed out of it?

BTW - 5ghz channel rocks. I can finally microwave leftovers and not see a drop in performance LOL!

sr20s14zenki
01-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Mine claims to be connected at 300mbps....how do i test ACTUAL speed?

rage2
01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I have bandwidth monitoring software on my network.

But, a ghetto way to do it is to open up task manager, go to the network tab, and watch what % it's at while you copy a 1GB file to another computer connected on wired network. Mine shows 44% and connection speed at 54mbps, which equates to 24.3mbps.

E36M3
01-28-2009, 08:11 PM
I can get a sustained 26.8800 mb/s on 2.4GHZ 802.11n (using an Apple Airport Express). I haven't tried 5ghz yet as I am in b/g compatibility mode.

eblend
01-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Set up WISH on your dlink and you will see an increase in speeds for file transfers. Mind you i never get those crazy numbers people get from my wireless N, but i am in a mixed mode and using wireless G on my laptops. Not so concerned with speed of wifi transfer

rage2
01-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Set up WISH on your dlink and you will see an increase in speeds for file transfers.
WISH won't do anything. Nothing to prioritize, I'm the only channel of data haha.

redline
01-28-2009, 10:23 PM
which one did you buy?

eblend
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by rage2

WISH won't do anything. Nothing to prioritize, I'm the only channel of data haha.

i thought so too, but as soon as i enabled WISH it made my throughput while copying files like almost a whole meg faster/second, and i had nothing to prioritize as well as i was only channeling data. Its like it doesn't allows full speed without wish set or something. I just set my laptop as voice high priority and everything going to that ip goes faster

Mibz
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I get about 26 Mbps on file transfers going from N -> router -> G. I have no other N devices in the house to test with though :P

Originally posted by eblend
i thought so too, but as soon as i enabled WISH it made my throughput while copying files like almost a whole meg faster/second, and i had nothing to prioritize as well as i was only channeling data. Its like it doesn't allows full speed without wish set or something. I just set my laptop as voice high priority and everything going to that ip goes faster I remember discussion on the DD-WRT forums about the stock firmware on a couple routers allocating an equal percentage of the maximum bandwidth to each device depending on how many were connected. So with 2 devices, even with one silent, a single device would get no more than 50% of the available bandwidth. Enabling QoS defeated this.

It's possible there's similar functionality on the D-links, though it'd take proof to convince me.

rage2
01-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by redline
which one did you buy?
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=681

Originally posted by Mibz
I get about 26 Mbps on file transfers going from N -> router -> G. I have no other N devices in the house to test with though :P

I remember discussion on the DD-WRT forums about the stock firmware on a couple routers allocating an equal percentage of the maximum bandwidth to each device depending on how many were connected. So with 2 devices, even with one silent, a single device would get no more than 50% of the available bandwidth. Enabling QoS defeated this.

It's possible there's similar functionality on the D-links, though it'd take proof to convince me.
I'm going from laptop --n--> router --1GB wire--> fileserver. I'm the only one on wireless, so no fighting over available bandwidth.

eblend
01-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by rage2

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=681

I'm going from laptop --n--> router --1GB wire--> fileserver. I'm the only one on wireless, so no fighting over available bandwidth.

I got that exact same router now as well and had success with WISH. Worth a shot if you haven't tried already

redline
01-29-2009, 08:12 AM
I have this one

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=530

got to check this WISH stuff out...