PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ

Pages : [1] 2 3

benyl
01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
This thread is a reference for people who are having issues with tenants or landlords. It will be stickied to the top.

Alberta Laws:
http://www.servicealberta.ca/Landlords_Tenants.cfm

Alberta's FAQ:
http://www.servicealberta.ca/618.cfm

Ending Tenancy (both sides):
http://www.servicealberta.ca/consumer/vcop/index.cfm?fuseaction=ending_tenancy

Alberta Damage Deposit interest Calculator:
http://www.servicealberta.ca/978.cfm

#
Section 8 - Termination of Monthly Periodic Tenancy

A landlord must give the tenant three months' written notice. Notice is to be given on or before the first day of the three-month notice period.

An example: Joe has a month-to-month tenancy. It begins on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the month. If Joe's landlord wants Joe to move out by September 30, the landlord would have to give Joe notice on or before July 1.

A tenant must give the landlord one tenancy month's written notice. Notice is to be given on or before the first day of the one-month notice period.

An example: Joe has a month-to-month tenancy. It begins on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the month. Joe decides to move out by September 30. He must give the landlord notice on or before September 1.
With a signed lease, the Tenancy ends on the last day of the lease at Noon. If you are a tenant, get the fuck out. If you are a landlord, hope they move out. Biggest thing for landlords is not to accept any money from a resident who does not leave until they have left. Doing so is implied agreement of periodic tenancy. Then you need 90 days noticed to kick them out.
You are allowed to charge a per day rent for each day they stay past the end of the lease.

#
Section 15 - Termination of fixed term tenancies

A fixed term tenancy ends on the day specified in the residential tenancy agreement, unless both parties agree to an early termination. For example, if the fixed term is from January 1 to December 31, the tenancy automatically ends on December 31. Unless the tenant and landlord make other arrangements, the tenant has to move out by noon on December 31.

The RTA does not require any notice to be given by a landlord or tenant to end a fixed term tenancy. It is courteous if the tenant or the landlord provide a notice prior to the end of the agreement that the tenancy will end.

A landlord is not obligated to accept a tenant's notice to terminate a fixed term tenancy before the end of the fixed term, but may agree to an early termination, or an assignment or sublease.

If a tenant ends a fixed term tenancy before the termination date, the landlord is entitled to be paid rent until the residential tenancy agreement ends. The landlord must take reasonable steps to re-rent the unit. If the landlord rents the premises to a new tenant, the old tenant is no longer responsible to pay the rent from the date of the new tenancy.

At the end of the fixed term the landlord and tenant may both want to continue the tenancy. At this time they can negotiate a new residential tenancy agreement that could include a change in the rent amount and the conditions of the tenancy. This agreement can be a new fixed term or be changed to a periodic tenancy.

If the parties do not notify each other of their intention to continue the tenancy or to end the tenancy, difficulties may arise. For example, the landlord may be expecting the tenant to leave at the end of the fixed term and may have plans for the premises.

The RTA says that if, at the end of the fixed term tenancy, the tenant doesn't move out and the landlord accepts the tenant staying on and continuing to pay rent, then, unless there are agreements or facts in the arrangement that indicate something else, the tenancy switches to a periodic tenancy.

If the fixed term tenancy was for a month or more, then the periodic tenancy becomes a monthly periodic tenancy.

If the fixed term tenancy was for a fixed term of less than one month, then the periodic tenancy becomes a weekly periodic tenancy.

Some fixed term tenancy agreements include a provision for renewal of the tenancy for an additional fixed term at the end. Such provisions usually include a requirement for the tenant and landlord to provide a period of written notice to each other about whether they wish to renew for a further fixed term.

If none of this answers your questions, call this number:

1-877-427-4088

This is the Alberta line for L/T (Consumer info line).

Explain the situation to the agent and they will tell you exactly what is possible.

benyl
01-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Please feel free to add information that is relevant and I will edit the first post.

Please make sure it is REAL information with a source and not speculation.

Dumbass17
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
thanks
i'm having issues with my bitch of a landlord!

drew_goring
05-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the info. The helpline is extremely helpful.

J NRG
10-06-2009, 05:10 PM

slick2404
05-07-2010, 02:43 PM

Amysicle
05-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Question: We're going to sign a lease tomorrow and the landlord seems pretty reasonable and the tenancy agreement seems to conform to the RTA. However, when I asked her for a mailing address, she was evasive about it and suggested that communicating by e-mail was fine for written notice.

I'm the kind of person who prefers to send out registered mail when dealing with landlords for milestones like ending the tenancy and stuff so this makes me feel pretty uncomfortable not being able to cover my ass.

1) Would e-mails hold up in court in place of registered mail if there was a dispute?
2) How can I go about getting a mailing address out of her without making her think that I'm going to burn her house down if things so south or that I'm going to take her to court in 2 months? (Which I wouldn't except the court thing and that's only if things went really sideways and that was the last option available.)

garnet
05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
it's actually a legal requirement for the landlord to provide both a mailing address and direct phone contact information

emails are generally not accepted for proof in a case (claim), for notifications a landlord is required to provide in writing (ie. notice to inspect, repairs, etc)

i would go about it with a story if you need, to deflect, and potentially not getting the place;
maybe say something like your parent (mother or father maybe?), use to be a landlord, or better used to work for the landlord/tenant board, or X legal firm? ....anyways, and has been harping upon you to make absolutely certain the legally required contact info is on any papers you intend to sign, and they made a big deal about it ....your deflecting it to another person, even though is your interest

to further motivate them, wave the immediate payment, or cash deposit under thier nose, but make sure you get the info though

failing that, try looking them up in whitepages, you could likely narrow it down, if you have thier home phone#

Originally posted by Amysicle
Question: We're going to sign a lease tomorrow and the landlord seems pretty reasonable and the tenancy agreement seems to conform to the RTA. However, when I asked her for a mailing address, she was evasive about it and suggested that communicating by e-mail was fine for written notice.

I'm the kind of person who prefers to send out registered mail when dealing with landlords for milestones like ending the tenancy and stuff so this makes me feel pretty uncomfortable not being able to cover my ass.

1) Would e-mails hold up in court in place of registered mail if there was a dispute?
2) How can I go about getting a mailing address out of her without making her think that I'm going to burn her house down if things so south or that I'm going to take her to court in 2 months? (Which I wouldn't except the court thing and that's only if things went really sideways and that was the last option available.)

SmAcKpOo
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a problem.

Utilities are included in my rent. Overages are billed to the house as per the lease.

Now here is where it is tricky. I received an invoice today for a period of Sept 2010-April 2011 of utilities overages totaling ~700$. We received no prior notice of utility overages until today.

So for a period of 8 months the landlord was totaling overages and not notifying the tenant. She then hits the tenant with a lump sum invoice for the amount. Mind you, this period she is invoicing for was 6 months ago.

My question is, how was I able to mitigate these costs when the landlord did not notify the tenant? The landlord is threatening collections over this and I am refusing to pay it as I had no way of knowing this was happening or able to mitigate the costs.

She did not once send an invoice for any monthly overage at any point and there were no per month notifications of overages at all.

HELP?

turbotrip
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Hypothetical:
tenant's lease is up at the end of the month and has agreed to setup showings. However, he forgets to lock up his big dog before these showings and is never home (plus does not reply to calls/texts for 5-6 days), therefore making it extremely difficult/not possible to show the house.

What can be done? deduct $ from damage deposit if it isn't rented? open door and release the dog into the wild? lol I dont know what to do here.

ExtraSlow
11-14-2011, 08:50 PM
wait until tenant is gone and then show the place? Lose a moths rent while it's vacant.

gt35r
11-30-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a tenant that left and did not pay one month rent. She also left allot of damage, garbage, and stole my coffee table. I cannot find her or where she works to serve her with hearing papers. Am I fucked?

max_boost
11-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by gt35r
I have a tenant that left and did not pay one month rent. She also left allot of damage, garbage, and stole my coffee table. I cannot find her or where she works to serve her with hearing papers. Am I fucked? Yep I'd say so. She's a dead beat. People are broke and hurting so I'd just let this one go.

garnet
05-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by gt35r
I have a tenant that left and did not pay one month rent. She also left allot of damage, garbage, and stole my coffee table. I cannot find her or where she works to serve her with hearing papers. Am I fucked?

someone (like max-boost or others) might be able to answer this, but depending on how you are set up (rental under private or a business reg) you might be able to write off those losses??

i dont know, but perhaps someone who knows for certain can answer better

jacky4566
04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
I have a question that i cant find the answer for.
If I am evicted for property damage, am I liable for the remainder of the lease?

benyl
04-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by benyl

If none of this answers your questions, call this number:

1-877-427-4088

This is the Alberta line for L/T (Consumer info line).

Explain the situation to the agent and they will tell you exactly what is possible.

nj2Type-S
10-27-2014, 12:13 PM
hey guys,

where can i get forms for lease contracts and whatnot?

thanks!

turbotrip
10-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Rentfaster.ca

nj2Type-S
11-04-2014, 12:52 PM
hey guys!

my duplex has been rented (woohoo!) and the tenants will be moving in at the end of this month.

this may be a stupid question, but do i need insurance for the contents of the home? i pay a monthly condo fee which does include insurance for the exterior of the home. i pay state farm a monthly fee for contents of the home.

do i need to keep this insurance, or is this something that my tenants need to get for themselves?

thanks!

adam c
11-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Yes you need insurance as there's always a chance a tenant won't carry their own

nj2Type-S
11-04-2014, 01:10 PM
i've called my insurance provider and i'm getting a rental property policy, which is a much lower rate, i'm told. i'm coming in this friday to re-write policies.

they did advise me to make sure my tenants will get their own insurance, though. it makes sense to me that my tenants will get their own insurance. i'll put in the condition that they show proof of it.

lasimmon
11-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by adam c
Yes you need insurance as there's always a chance a tenant won't carry their own

You are not responsible for the contents of the tenants.

A renter can likely only get insurance for their belongings due to fire or theft?

adam c
11-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

You are not responsible for the contents of the tenants.

A renter can likely only get insurance for their belongings due to fire or theft?

I didn't mean it like that, but in the sense that if something happened to the property the tenants don't have the means to resolve it

roopi
11-04-2014, 03:21 PM
You can still get some content insurance as a landlord to cover the appliances (and anything else you may provide the renter if it is furnished). Other then that just tell your insurer that it is a rental and they will explain your options.

nj2Type-S
11-18-2014, 12:24 AM
could you guys please shed some light regarding security deposits?

"Landlords must deposit all security deposits in an interest-bearing trust account in a bank, treasury branch, credit union or trust company in Alberta within two banking days of the time they collect them from the tenant.
The landlord must pay interest to the tenant at the end of each tenancy year unless both parties agree otherwise. If the landlord and the tenant agree in writing, interest may be compounded annually and paid to the tenant at the end of the tenancy.". (Page 3. See link below):

http://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/tipsheets/Information_for_landlords.pdf

does this mean that as a landlord, i would need to create a savings account and place the security deposit there? Any interest gained including the initial security deposit will be given to the tenant at the end of the term? i thought i would just deposit it into a chequimg account and be done with it. i didn't realize it would need to be an "interest-bearing trust account".

any help from you guys would be appreciated!

benyl
11-18-2014, 01:41 AM
go back and read the first post.

There is an interest rate calculator that is linked. Put in the dates and it will tell you how much you owe your tenant. What you do with the money is up to you, but you do have to pay them interest as it is a deposit and not for you to use on hookers and blow.

That being said, it has been zero percent since 2008.

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1033.cfm

nj2Type-S
11-18-2014, 08:35 AM
^you rock, man! thanks!

nj2Type-S
02-04-2015, 08:47 PM
hey guys,

so i rented out my duplex in november 2014. the lease term is for 1 year. a couple of days ago, my tenants called me saying they want to move out in 3 months. what can i do in this situation? the rental market isn't as good as it was last year, and i really can't make a profit if i sell.

do i basically just suck it up?? what can i do? thanks? guys!

nobb
02-04-2015, 11:39 PM
They are obligated to complete the remainder of the lease. Usually the deal I make with my tenants is that if they leave early, as long as they clean up the place in good condition, and help find another renter such that there is no vacancy and cover the advertisement expenses, then I am fine with ending the lease. If they absolutely intend on leaving, there wont be much you can do anyways (other then taking them to court for lost money) so might as well do it on good terms.

nj2Type-S
10-19-2015, 12:42 PM
hey guys! i can't belive it's almost been a year since i put my duplex for rent. my tenants have decided to move out at the end of the lease (nov 22nd), and this being my first rental property, i would like to ask for some guidance from you experienced landlords regarding the damage deposit.

what qualifies as "normal wear" versus a valid damage? in your experience, how much of the deposit do you typically give back? i know it's subjective, but i just want to be fair to both parties.

for those who may be interested, here's the listing to my duplex for rent:

https://www.rentfaster.ca/calgary-duplex-for-rent/bridlewood/3-bedroom-bridlewood-duplex-110333

thanks in advance!

CompletelyNumb
10-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Wear and tear would be wear on the carpet, from foot traffic and furniture. Not damagevia spills, burns, animals, etc. Scratches, smudges and marks on the walls. Not gouges, or holes. Knobs, handles, pulls that are worn or loose.

Just think of it like your own house. What's normal wear and tear for you. Any damage or mess comes out of the DD. Have it dealt with professionally ASAP, submit statement of account with remaining DD within 10 days.

Mckenzie
10-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by nobb
They are obligated to complete the remainder of the lease. Usually the deal I make with my tenants is that if they leave early, as long as they clean up the place in good condition, and help find another renter such that there is no vacancy and cover the advertisement expenses, then I am fine with ending the lease. If they absolutely intend on leaving, there wont be much you can do anyways (other then taking them to court for lost money) so might as well do it on good terms.

:werd: I had a situation last year that went sideways, they wanted to leave after a month and in the middle of the downturn it was next to impossible to find someone to rent. The ball is pretty much in their court since you have to take them to court over loss of income and you can only do that after you find someone new (to quantify the loss). Put a new ad up immediately. Play as nice as possible, get as much as possible out of them (my renter paid 2 months worth of rent for vacant place and $700 in damages) and obviously keep their damage deposit. Luckily I held some of their furniture hostage for a bit, but in the end I was the one who got screwed. :thumbsdow

msommers
10-19-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm not entirely sure how to deal with my damage deposit return either. I've had to hire a management company and drastically lower the rent. The difference I'm actually receiving is actually $400/month less now.

There weren't really any damages, just fairly minor cleaning that took me 2-3 hours which isn't bad and I'm thankful that nothing else is not damaged. But I'm pretty hesitant to give him the damage deposit back given the amount of income I'm losing for him bailing on me only 5 months in.

We verbally agreed to something and I think I'll stick with that, but it still really pisses me off. And the fact that I'm back in school right now hurts even more because I'm also paying someone else's rent on top of my per month loss.

KPHMPH
10-21-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm currently in a legal battle with a tenant for $25,000.

It all started back in Dec of 14' - they had been living in the house for 5 years and wanted to buy it. I gave them a price and then proceed to damage the place, leave and buy a house, all while under a year lease.

We've been through 1 mediation to try to resolve the situation and my partner and I brought the settlement down to $7000 and they wouldn't take it. Now we have a arbitration with a judge next Friday and we won't go any less than $10,000.

I know they won't that offer so we will probably go to court. With that being said we have close to a 200 page binder full of all the evidence that will destroy their case.

This whole ordeal is so fkin stressful I just want it to be over.

I've had zero problems up until last year and all shit went south for all my properties. Hopefully this year is better!!

spikerS
10-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by KPHMPH

We've been through 1 mediation to try to resolve the situation and my partner and I brought the settlement down to $7000 and they wouldn't take it. Now we have a arbitration with a judge next Friday and we won't go any less than $10,000.

if it is arbitration, what ever the arbitrator decides on, you have to accept regardless. If it is a mediator, then you have the choice.

CompletelyNumb
10-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Is there any sort of landlord insurance that would cover situations like that?

KPHMPH
10-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

if it is arbitration, what ever the arbitrator decides on, you have to accept regardless. If it is a mediator, then you have the choice.

Sorry, Pre-trial with the judge.

I'm honestly not to sure if there is an insurance for that. It would be nice but I feel it could be taken advantage of by abusive people.

Vanish3d
03-28-2016, 01:35 PM
I have a place rented out to someone on a Fixed Term contract with ~6 months remaining.

Is there ANY way I can give him 3 months notice and get my place back?

I want to sell the house and it's best to sell in the spring/summer. Otherwise, he leaves in September and I need a month or so to clean up and renovate then sell it - puts in even slower market than now.

FraserB
03-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Vanish3d
I have a place rented out to someone on a Fixed Term contract with ~6 months remaining.

Is there ANY way I can give him 3 months notice and get my place back?

I want to sell the house and it's best to sell in the spring/summer. Otherwise, he leaves in September and I need a month or so to clean up and renovate then sell it - puts in even slower market than now.

There isn't. You're going to have to negotiate with him to move out prior to the sale. Might be easy though if he can find similar accommodation for cheaper and if you offer him a financial incentive like paying his first month's rent and DD on a new place.

pheoxs
03-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Talk to him about it. The rental market is so soft right now that he can likely find something cheaper and/or with incentives versus your place.

I was in the same boat and told my renter I'd like to sell the house and if he was able to find a new place I'd be lenient and give him a week to move stuff across for free n shit. He found a condo and moved out this week.

Vanish3d
03-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
Talk to him about it. The rental market is so soft right now that he can likely find something cheaper and/or with incentives versus your place.

I was in the same boat and told my renter I'd like to sell the house and if he was able to find a new place I'd be lenient and give him a week to move stuff across for free n shit. He found a condo and moved out this week.

I tried - He wont. He has kids and too many 'commitments' in the area apparently. I guess I'm stuck

lasimmon
03-30-2016, 03:20 PM
Is it the landlord or tenants responsibility to pick up keys after the condo board has used them to enter the unit?

Our stupid condo management companies office is way down south and I refuse to go pick it up since they won't leave it under the door or in the mailbox and their hours are like 9-4 monday - friday. Currently arguing with the landlord.

Type_S1
03-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Is it the landlord or tenants responsibility to pick up keys after the condo board has used them to enter the unit?

Our stupid condo management companies office is way down south and I refuse to go pick it up since they won't leave it under the door or in the mailbox and their hours are like 9-4 monday - friday. Currently arguing with the landlord.

You want the landlord to drive down south, pick up the keys and then drive them to you in the evening? Come on man....

lasimmon
03-31-2016, 10:37 AM
My friend is the landlord. Was trying to get an opinion without that tidbit haha.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-18-2016, 05:15 PM
About to list my place for rental, and trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I've setup a policy on the place, and I know around what I would want to rent it out for.

I've had the place cleaned, and I went and took some pictures of the place.

For the deposit (if I even find a renter) would TD/RBC/ETC be able to open an account for me that's separate from all my other stuff? Do they have accounts specifically for this?

I looked over the generic Residential Tenancy Agreement, and it looks like it'll fill my needs pretty well.

https://www.alberta-mortgages.com/pdf/Residential%20Lease.pdf

swak
08-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Just going to throw this out there, hoping it doesn't cause someone else the headache I went through...

Disclaimer: this is some-what a dick move on my part, and not my normal practice, but work events led it this way.

Was in a lease, living in Edson, Alberta (middle of nowhere) for work. After my lease expired, my landlord agreed to let me rent month to month (as I had anticipations to transfer out of Edson), and knew it would be on rather last minute notice.

I found out on the last day of February 2016, and needed to be out of Edson by the end of March. So i called my landlord first thing in the morning on March 1.
- back and forth, she wanted me to pay for April as well, given that I had not given enough notice.

Back and forth with landlord and tenancy board, legislation is worded that a months notice is the day of the last month or any time prior.

So an FYI, you can give a months notice on the first day of the last month you plan on renting somewhere....

Like i said prior, I wouldn't recommend making this a common practice, but sometimes life throws your curve balls you gotta deal with, and would likely rather not get screwed in the process.

Hero_X
09-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Hey everyone,

I"m a first time renter and I need some help. I found a place I like. The guy who showed it to use is not the owner; he said he's a realtor and is showing it on behalf of the owner.

The place seems fine but I asked about the deposit and rent. He basically said the deposit has to be supplied with the application. Is this normal? I asked him if I could just provide a post dated cheque. I know my credit and everything is pristine, but at the same time i don't want to pay someone and have them say "oh you're denied" and run off with my money.

Upon further conversation he said he may be able to provide a receipt or something, but I'm not sure what exactly I can get that can be legally binding, in the event i get fucked.

Plz help!!

90_Shelby
09-21-2017, 07:10 PM
No money should be exchanged when submitting an application. I take damage deposit when the rental agreement is signed and first month rent when they move in on the first day of the month.

RealJimmyJames
09-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a guy who got the keys somehow and is scamming. Probably not actually a Realtor.

dirtsniffer
09-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Sounds scammy

Hero_X
09-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Agreed.

Gonna drop him; found another place at a similar price and backed by a rental property management company.

Rocket1k78
09-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Yeah definitely no money should be exchanged unless you know for sure youve got the place.

dirtsniffer
09-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Agreed.

Gonna drop him; found another place at a similar price and backed by a rental property management company.

it might be worth calling the non emergency line. they might be looking for this guy already.

dj_patm
11-14-2017, 04:13 PM
So I'm about to list my place and while I have no specific questions, I'm wondering if there is anything I should know or resources I should read?

A790
11-14-2017, 06:43 PM
So I'm about to list my place and while I have no specific questions, I'm wondering if there is anything I should know or resources I should read?
Read and understand your rights and obligations: https://www.landlordandtenant.org/

dj_patm
11-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Thoughts on renting to someone on disability insurance?

I feel like if they can show me that their insurance will last them for the duration of the lease then it could be safe?

Rocket1k78
12-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Thoughts on renting to someone on disability insurance?

I feel like if they can show me that their insurance will last them for the duration of the lease then it could be safe?

Nothing is safe when it comes to rentals lol Im not familiar with how disability insurance works but i would normally pass on anyone that needs help with rent. This is a very different thing im sure but it would still sit funny with me. The problem now is the rental market is pretty tight so you probably dont really have the option to pick and choose.

dj_patm
12-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I still said no to them.

I'm not that desperate to rent it out. If you start the conversation with me by immediately making yourself sound like a charity case, I'm going to have to say no.

HiTempguy1
12-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I still said no to them.

I'm not that desperate to rent it out. If you start the conversation with me by immediately making yourself sound like a charity case, I'm going to have to say no.

This is a very good path to take.

I had a brother/sister come and take a look at my place a while ago. Something about the brother being emancipated or whatever, receiving funds from the gov, she was in school part time. Just seemed like waaaaaay too much hassle, way too many issues. Nice enough people, but seemed high risk.

RUN A CREDIT CHECK. And absolutely verify job/income.

One thing I've found that is unfortunate is that people start getting quite skittish answering questions even if they have nothing to hide. I had one person say "well, I'm going with this landlord because they don't require XYZ". So while it is good to be firm while showing your place and what you expect, a soft touch is definitely needed in handling the more "pointed" questions you may have about a renter.

raceman6135
12-04-2018, 12:37 AM
Thread bump!

Question for landlords: which service do you recommend to run a credit check on perspective tenants? (Yes, they have signed their permission as part of the application form.)

Some of the ones that seem to pop up the most during my searches are:

- https://www.tenantverification.ca
- https://www.rentcheckcorp.com
- https://naborly.com/equifax
- http://albertalandlords.ca/tag/tenant-screening

Some want you to pay a yearly membership fee, plus other fees, and then a fee per credit check. Others are low cost per credit check with (supposedly) no other fees. Which ones are legit and give the information a landlord would find useful?

Manhattan
02-25-2019, 03:29 PM
What would beyond landlords do about a situation where a tenant was keeping multiple pets not listed on the lease? I have a renter that listed one cat on the lease and every time I'm there fixing something up there's 3 or 4 of them running around the place. I've advised them that only one pet was agreed to on the lease and they agreed to give them away but doubtful that is actually going to happen.

88CRX
02-25-2019, 04:01 PM
What would beyond landlords do about a situation where a tenant was keeping multiple pets not listed on the lease? I have a renter that listed one cat on the lease and every time I'm there fixing something up there's 3 or 4 of them running around the place. I've advised them that only one pet was agreed to on the lease and they agreed to give them away but doubtful that is actually going to happen.

Don't allow pets in the first place? LOL

Give them notice to GTFO based on breaking the lease or let it slide? There aren't really other options. And if you tell them to get rid of cats they're just going to lie to you.

- Give them written notice that they're breaking their lease agreement and that pets not on lease need to be removed by a certain date.
- Follow up with multiple visits to ensure they're complying.
- Good luck!

Never allow pets, its never worth it. Ever.

The BMW Guy
02-25-2019, 04:21 PM
Just curious, what's better: allowing a small pet (10lbs) or allowing a kid (toddler to pre-schooler)? I've never rented to families with babies/kids, the dogs seemed to not do too much to the place (except pee stains on the lawn).

A790
02-25-2019, 04:44 PM
What I've taken from this thread: buy REITs if I want to get into the RE game.

firebane
02-25-2019, 05:00 PM
Just curious, what's better: allowing a small pet (10lbs) or allowing a kid (toddler to pre-schooler)? I've never rented to families with babies/kids, the dogs seemed to not do too much to the place (except pee stains on the lawn).

Pets you risk interior and exterior damage especially with dogs.
Kids especially babies/toddlers you risk a lot of interior damage

There will be no way to truly protect your property from either. Dogs will destroy lawns no matter how much you try to take care of them, and kids will destroy the walls and anything they touch in the place.

Parents will say their kids are "perfect" and do nothing and dog owners will say their dog doesn't hurt anything.

When we started to rent our place we were told it was a no pets place and then the snow melted and we spent probably 2 days picking up crap from the back lawn.

gwill
02-25-2019, 05:29 PM
I thought I'd never rent to anyone with kids but did so a while back to a young couple with a 2 year old. They were great tenants until they moved out a few years later.

Thought the same thing with dogs but have a tenant with a tiny little monster in the unit. So far no issues.

Questions you need to ask yourself is how easily can you rent your house if the tenants get upset for holding them to their lease? This would dictate how I'd address the pet issue.

You can hold them in breach of the lease and force them to sign a new one on a new term at a higher cost. Ask for a larger deposit and keep the lease the way it is. Or evict them.

The other factors I'd consider are things like how quickly is your rent paid? Are they high maintenance? Are they always asking things from you?? Lastly the wording on your lease agreement would be important if you do evict them.

dirtsniffer
12-23-2019, 11:45 PM
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/g5xbpx/an-apology-to-all-the-landlords-ive-ever-had

A month ago, I got this text from my roommate: “Also I think Jackie will be moving in in the springtime.”

“Nice,” I responded, though I knew what it meant. I had to find a new apartment.

I have been lucky the past few years. While I have seen friends post desperate pleas on Facebook that they were willing to live in a large dog’s mouth as long as it was less than two grand, I have avoided the inhuman rigors and unspeakable price points of the Toronto rental market. I live in a nice two-bedroom in a desirable area of town for $600 a month.

I can imagine your response. “$600! Fuck you! I would devour a nest of sleeping infants for rent that’s double that!”

I get it. The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Toronto is $2,850. I’m incredibly fortunate. My roommate scooped up the place six years ago. Even more fortuitous for us has been the landlord situation. Our landlord is incredibly old and seems to be unfit for any job outside of president of the United States. One afternoon my roommate and I watched him hose down the concrete alleyway beside our building. For an hour we watched him, slouched over in a chair, aimlessly spraying water on the cement squares, while I wondered if this was him trying to renovict us.

I’m sorry if that seemed harsh. I’m stressed. I’ve had it too good for too long but now the grace period created by a confluence of friendship and the increased rates of senility among the ownership class is over. I am defenseless. I am a pathetic mass of bad credit and no savings, naked and afraid, prostrate before the gnashing teeth of this sociopathic real estate market.

What horrors will I have to face? Will I have to have multiple roommates, each one with an active and concerning sex life, the volume of their partners only matched by the volume of their own groans of pleasures? Will I be forced underground into a basement, delirious with claustrophobia and raving to increasingly infrequent visitors that the one, dirt-encrusted ray of sunshine that hits the side of my fridge at 2:15 p.m. each day is actually a pretty good amount of light? Will I have to find the love of my life, a wealthy patron of working-class comedians, who loves me for me but also just so happens to own a three-bedroom, two-bath?

I worry because I have been a bad tenant. Certainly not the worst, but I have left behind many stains, both metaphorically and literally, on my record. And like an aging hitman who (allegedly) murdered his best friend, I sit now before my moment of reckoning hoping that a last-minute confession will save me from my sins catching up. And so, I offer a catalogue of my transgressions in the hopes that it will reach the ears of the bloodthirsty gods of habitation and convince them to be merciful.

My confession
I am sorry for every late rent cheque. I am always aware of what day it is and am especially acutely aware of when the rent is due; to suggest otherwise was absurd and insulting. In fact, every reason I have given, unless it was “I am a drunk with poor impulse control,” was a lie. For these fabrications I apologize as well.

I am also sorry for what I did to your floors—your freshly buffed hardwood floors that I would ruin any time I had to move a couch, whether for remodelling purposes or because I dropped a joint under it. Tugging and pulling the furniture—my kingdom for those little pieces of felt on the legs—and then being shocked by the vicious furrows carved in the formerly unblemished surface is a horrific example of one man’s apathy toward the natural state of things, enough to make Edward Burtynsky wince. I apologize for having the same response every time: a panicked scrubbing by hand in the hopes it was not all that bad, followed by a short, cool slide into not giving a shit.

I am sorry for what I did to your walls. I am sorry for the tiny galaxy of holes I’ve left behind in every room I’ve lived in, the remnants of halting and unsuccessful attempts at some sort of interior design. A pathetic collection of posters and artwork made up of a couple gifts from an ex, things that previous tenants left behind, and stuff that fell out of record sleeves, was constantly re-arranged in the hopes that it would trick the visitor into thinking that a sophisticated creative-type resided between these walls. But really, if my walls could talk they would say, “This guy liked music, I guess.”

I am sorry for the time I invited a woman back to one of my apartments and said it was cool if she had a cigarette in the downstairs basement. And I’m doubly sorry that she then proceeded to sit on the sink that caused the sink to rip off the wall, breaking the pipes and creating a gush of water that I was eventually able to stop but not before humiliating myself by yelling, “Call your dad,” while attempting to dam the water with the palm of my hand. And I’m triple sorry that I neither got somebody to fix the sink or told you about it and instead did nothing and let the bathroom descend into a sort of snake prison.

That is less a humorous exaggeration and more a reference to the time the ball python that the girl in the basement owned escaped into our apartment and in a fit of terror my roommates and I picked up the snake with broomsticks and locked it in the wrecked washroom turning it into a low-grade set from the Indiana Jones franchise.

I am sorry for all that I’ve left behind when I moved out. The drawers of pennies and coasters that just accumulate throughout the years, like the detritus of a life not well-lived, whose existence you completely forget about until the moment of moving out when everything is packed up and suddenly you remember there is still this drawer filled with sporadic nonsense and the idea of organizing it all and figuring out what to do with it is utterly demoralizing and you decide to pretend that you didn’t even see it and then you justify this decision by telling yourself that the next people who move in will definitely need the almost finished roll of tin foil, stained tea towel, bent thumb tacks, and stretched elastic bands, and that you are actually doing them a favour.

I am sorry that in one tiny apartment we had three cats. While perhaps I paid a price in that my brain is now filled with parasites from the little monsters and my nose is permanently seared with their stench, I still owe you an apology for the litter-box scenario. We had the litter box outside in this wonderful patio space nestled between the walls of our apartment and building next door. At some point, the maintenance of it got away from us and the box consumed the space, turning it into the doorway to Cat Hell: rock-hard cat feces, smears of grey muck, and the little balls of litter rubble that made the once-delightful nook look like the remnants of some sort of cat construction site.

And I’m sorry that when you called and asked whose cats they were, I told you their owner and I had stopped being friends and were no longer communicating. That was a particularly bold lie.

Really, I’m sorry that I must trouble you with my disgusting human life at all. I know that being a landlord is hard. It would be so much better and easier for you if I did not exist at all, or if I were nothing but a watch that needed storage in a one-bedroom apartment, every tick of my second hand representing an increase in the value of your investment. Or if I was just an abstract concept like valuation or percentages. No, I have to be saddled with being alive, which is annoying for both of us!

So I’m sorry for my capacity for mistakes, for my uncleanliness, for my stench, for the hair that falls from my body in a seemingly endless supply despite its rapid diminishment on my head, for all the floss threaders, for every single peep of noise I’ve made whether braying laughter or a muffled cry, for all the fun I’ve had, for all the losses I’ve mourned, and for all the breaths I’ve taken inside of your properties. It’s a regrettable situation and, for you, certainly not ideal.

Also I’m sorry I smoked a hella lot of weed inside; I thought the smell would totally air out.

I’m sorry on behalf of all the people I know and love. That we continue to trouble you with our meagre existences, an entire generation of people attempting to buy enough succulents to make whatever hovel we’ve stuffed our dreams into seem like a home. It’s embarrassing and you shouldn’t have to deal with it. All you did was own some property.

Or maybe our dirty little asses is the price you have to pay for turning the city into a playground for the rich.

Follow Jordan Foisy on Twitter.

Text shared so no one has to go to vice's website

raceman6135
01-17-2020, 10:44 AM
I'm currently renting my house to a young family (husband, wife, 3 kids). We're nearing the end of our 1-year lease (the first they've had with me) and they're asking about adding a pet dog (beagle) to their family and new lease. They've been pretty good renters: rent is always on time; no complaints from the neighbours (I lived in the house for 9 years before renting to them); they've done a bit of upkeep on their own time and dime i.e. paid a guy to dethatch and fertilize the lawn; they sanded the wood deck as their kids were sometimes catching splinters (it's an older deck and truth told, I intended to sand it before they moved in but I didn't get around to it), etc.

I've read many opinions on both the landlord and tenant side and I haven't decided if I'll allow them to get a dog yet or not. I wanted to hear thoughts on:

(a) how much of a non-refundable pet fee is reasonable? Current rent is $1500/month and they paid the $1500 damage deposit upon signing the lease.

(b) instead of a non-refundable pet fee, should I increase the rent instead, and if so, by how much?

(c) do I give them the option to either pay a (for example) $600 non-refundable fee up front OR sign the new lease for an additional $50/month?

The house is nothing special: 20 year old two storey and detached garage; market value about $375,000. I installed engineered wood floors throughout the main and upper floor before they moved in. Zero carpet anywhere. Regular, builder-grade cabinets in the kitchen.

TIA

Disoblige
01-17-2020, 11:04 AM
^^ Seems like you got some good tenants, considering they have done some upkeep on their own time/money and don't sound like slobs.

What is this non-refundable pet fee you're speaking of? Just take a refundable pet fee around $600 if you really want and then take $ out of it if you see damage was made from the pet. They treated you well as good tenants and now you want to risk pissing them off over a dog? You know you also have the damage deposit too right?

If I were you, I would tell them because they have been good tenants so far with the upkeep and everything, make it easy for them and say yes with not too many strings attached. They'll be more likely to do upkeep on their own dime as needed vs. telling "fuck you" in the back of their heads and consider moving out to the 50 other options out there.

Brent.ff
01-17-2020, 11:06 AM
They will also be less likely to leave, as finding a place that will take a dog once they have it will be far more challenging..

ExtraSlow
01-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Don't take more deposit money, don't raise the rent. In this economy, your place would be vacant if they moved out, so since they've been respectful and treated you well, treat them well, and they'll never be able to leave once they have that dog.

This is the exact opposite of a prospective renter who already has a pet, THAT has risk involved.

dirtsniffer
01-17-2020, 11:13 AM
We used a $400 refundable fee for our tenants, but only 1100 sqft of space, for a larger house, $600 would make sense.

firebane
01-17-2020, 11:20 AM
The biggest issue with pets especially dogs is the lawn. Dogs will murder a healthy lawn so fast.

I moved into a place that wasn't supposed to have "dogs" but the first spring here we had to do so much to the back lawn because the dogs were brutal on it. I still have more to do to the lawn now especially with my dog but I'm doing my best to maintain the lawn without it getting destroyed.

You could put in some form of an agreement that states your ok with the dog with the caveat of a visit in 6 months then a year after or something to ensure they are doing well with the dog.

Ca_Silvia13
01-17-2020, 11:28 AM
IMO, don't raise the rent or collect anything but get them to agree to professionally clean the carpets before moving out.

pheoxs
01-17-2020, 11:39 AM
I'd do a reasonable refundable amount and add the condition they have to pay to have the carpets cleaned upon moveout or the amount to clean the carpets will be deducted from the deposit.

50$ a month increase isn't worth the risk of losing good tenants and the place sitting empty for a month while you find new ones. And the market isn't great so I'd just let it slide this time

JoniBoy
01-17-2020, 11:47 AM
My understanding is you are not allowed to have a damage deposit in excess of one month's rent, which you already have. So I don't think a refundable pet deposit is an option since that would put you over.

raceman6135
01-18-2020, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the input! Some really good info.

Glad you can see how I'm conflicted between pissing them off and then having to find another decent tenant versus possibly getting stuck with damages that might surpass the damage deposit.

I believe JoniBoy is correct that if I were to try to get an additional pet fee, it must be non-refundable because I already have a damage deposit (which has to be refundable by law) which is equal to 100-percent of the monthly rent. That is also stated on the LandlordAndTenant.org website here:

https://www.landlordandtenant.org/security-deposits/maximum-security-deposit/

A security deposit plus any refundable fees charged by a landlord (for example, a refundable key fee), must total one months rent or less. If however, there is a separate non-refundable, one-time fee for something like having a pet in the premises, that fee does not form part of the security deposit. The security deposit plus any non-refundable fee can equal more than one months rent.

KPHMPH
01-18-2020, 11:47 AM
If I were you I would add 2 notes in your lease.
1 - if the lawn is in bad shape they would be required to fix and replace it
2 - once they move it would be required to have carpets PROFESSIONALLY cleaned

killramos
01-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Just my opinion but 50 bucks says they already have the dog lol

dirtsniffer
01-18-2020, 12:58 PM
Good to know that it shouldn't be refundable. I thought it would be fine, next time I guess it won't be refundable.

gwill
01-18-2020, 01:36 PM
My understanding is you are not allowed to have a damage deposit in excess of one month's rent, which you already have. So I don't think a refundable pet deposit is an option since that would put you over.

I was going to chime in and say the terminology of the wording for any money taken for the dog will be important.

IMO it's a safe assumption your lawn will be destroyed by your tenants. It will be costly to replace. Odds are there will be damage in the house from the dog at some point but your tenants will try and claim normal wear and tear when they move out.

I'd take some form of payment for the dog and ask for a longer lease to be signed. I'd also quickly check into how much it would cost to re sod the back yard.

The longer the lease they sign the less I'd charge for the pet. A good way to protect yourself would be to show an increase to the rent with a special incentive lowering the rent for signing the longer lease. Specifiy 1 dog is allowed with whatever caveats you find are reasonable.

This way if they ever leave early you can go after them for the rental incentive you gave them for signing the longer lease.

AndyL
01-18-2020, 01:37 PM
(beagle)

Um... Yeah - Beagles need a hell of a lot of training to keep their vocal nature in check. You may want to ask how they intend to ensure it's not one of those ones that end up driving the whole neighbourhood to pitchforks and torches.

Rocket1k78
01-24-2020, 01:06 PM
I literally just gave my tenant approval for a dog over xmas but it was because the daughter was moving in and it was a smaller dog. I did take a $350.00 refundable pet deposit though and she had no problem with it. Like others have said the rental market is definitely not the best right now so if you have a good one it might be worth it to work with them. My situation is different though because its a TH in a private loop and pets are not allowed in the green space so any business has to be done across the street in the field so no dead grass to worry about(hopefully).

pheoxs
02-06-2020, 05:11 PM
Quick question for a friend about renting and the landlord decides to sell.

If your lease goes until November (1 year lease, renewed for a 2nd year now) and they decide to sell in May, there's no way they can kick you out because of the sale right? Their lease says the following, not sure if that affects things.

"The Landlord may terminate this Agreement by giving the Tenant written notice ninety (90) days before the last day of the tenancy year

I'm like 90% sure she can stay there until Nov but wanted to check before I give incorrect advice. The new lease would just transfer to the new owners at the same rental rate, correct? But at the end of the lease they could ask her to leave or change the rent.

sabad66
02-06-2020, 05:44 PM

If your lease goes until November (1 year lease, renewed for a 2nd year now) and they decide to sell in May, there's no way they can kick you out because of the sale right? Their lease says the following, not sure if that affects things.

I'm like 90% sure she can stay there until Nov but wanted to check before I give incorrect advice. The new lease would just transfer to the new owners at the same rental rate, correct? But at the end of the lease they could ask her to leave or change the rent.

yup pretty sure they can't be kicked out just because the owner wants to sell the place. I would think that they would need to tell the potential buyer of hte property that there is currently a renter with an agreement until Nov, and if they are OK with continuing to rent it, they would need to honor the original lease agreement unless both agree to cancel it and start a new one.

gwill
02-06-2020, 06:07 PM

I think your wrong. I just checked Alberta's landlord and tenant website and under evictions it says an owner can end a rental agreement after the sale of the home.

It doesnt specify much other then the landlord can end the agreement after a sales conditions have all been removed.

I'll touch base with the landlord board tomorrow as I currently have a rental with tenants in it that's listed for sale. But it seems theres not much to ending the agreement at first glance.

If I was the renter in this situation I'd be negotiating some benefits for being inconvenienced. In my situation I offered to provide the down payment to my renters if they wanted to buy. I've offered to pay for movers if things progress too quickly.

muse017
02-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Back in 2018, I purchased a home with a tenant with very fresh lease contract with previous owner, and I basically had an option to kick him out if I wanted to do. I decided to keep him with the amended lease contract at the end but in my situation, basically, I treated him like a new tenant(Interview, Background check etc)

dirtsniffer
02-06-2020, 07:32 PM
Owner can sell the unit and the new owner isn't obligated to the existing lease

sabad66
02-06-2020, 09:47 PM
https://www.cplea.ca/wp-content/uploads/ThePlaceYouAreRentingIsSold.pdf

I have a fixed term tenancy. Can my landlord put the property up for sale?

Yes, your landlord has the right to put the property up for sale; however, your landlord would not be able to end your tenancy simply because the property was sold. A fixed term tenancy means that you have agreed to rent the property for a fixed period of time, and this kind of tenancy can only end under the terms of the contract. This means that unless you and your landlord negotiate a new agreement, you can stay living in the property until the lease is over.

A790
02-06-2020, 09:50 PM
https://www.cplea.ca/wp-content/uploads/ThePlaceYouAreRentingIsSold.pdf

I have a fixed term tenancy. Can my landlord put the property up for sale?

Yes, your landlord has the right to put the property up for sale; however, your landlord would not be able to end your tenancy simply because the property was sold. A fixed term tenancy means that you have agreed to rent the property for a fixed period of time, and this kind of tenancy can only end under the terms of the contract. This means that unless you and your landlord negotiate a new agreement, you can stay living in the property until the lease is over.

Annnnd that's why I'm not a fucking landlord. lol

Want to be a landlord? Buy some shares in XRE.

gwill
02-06-2020, 10:58 PM
nobody in their right mind uses a fixed term tenancy. If a landlord uses this once theyll realize why theyll never use it again.

gwill
02-07-2020, 10:08 AM
Owner can sell the unit and the new owner isn't obligated to the existing lease

Well I just learned something new. I called the landlord board to ask about when selling. Basically if theres any form of start date or end date in a lease that the tenant isnt obligated to move before hand.

It doesnt matter what type of contract a landlord uses or what sort of 90 day clause someone adds in there. If there is a start date and an end date that the tenant has every right to stay until that time. The 90 day clauses are unenforceable in the court of law.

dirtsniffer
02-07-2020, 10:31 AM
good to know!

msommers
02-07-2020, 10:36 AM
nobody in their right mind uses a fixed term tenancy. If a landlord uses this once theyll realize why theyll never use it again.

I've had no issues doing this a year at a time...

pheoxs
02-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Well I just learned something new. I called the landlord board to ask about when selling. Basically if theres any form of start date or end date in a lease that the tenant isnt obligated to move before hand.

It doesnt matter what type of contract a landlord uses or what sort of 90 day clause someone adds in there. If there is a start date and an end date that the tenant has every right to stay until that time. The 90 day clauses are unenforceable in the court of law.

Perfect, thanks! That was my understanding, if it was a month to month then she's SOL but if it's a fixed date lease then it runs it's course until the end.

I've seen a bunch of real estate listings that saying the unit is occupied and tenants rights exist so I presumed that was the case but appreciate the confirmation.

gwill
02-07-2020, 11:24 AM
I've had no issues doing this a year at a time...

There are different types of leases out there one being a fixed term option that when it ends the lease is done and the tenant is out. Other leases automatically roll over to month to month. I got burned one time 10 years ago for not paying attention to this and had a tenant bolt with no notice as it was a fixed term and ended on the one date.

It seems the landlord board doesnt differentiate between the two leases. They consider anything with a start date and an end date to be a fixed term tenancy.

Also interesting to know opt out clauses are unenforceable.

msommers
02-07-2020, 11:37 AM
Ahh, understood. I've had a couple tenants just sign another 1-yr lease that continued started the next day as the previous ended. Felt more stable than doing month-to-month because no one has been in there long term (5+ yrs). I check in 2 months before the lease expires to get their honest opinion of staying or not and everyone has been upfront about it. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I'm also insanely picky lol.

sabad66
02-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Uhh what? Almost all leases are fixed term. Landlords don’t want month to month, they prefer stability. I rented mine for a 2 year lease as that is what the renters wanted, but most renters were fine with a 1 year.

pheoxs
02-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Uhh what? Almost all leases are fixed term. Landlords don’t want month to month, they prefer stability. I rented mine for a 2 year lease as that is what the renters wanted, but most renters were fine with a 1 year.

Pretty much this. Everywhere I've rented starts on a 1 year lease then it's 50/50 if they go month to month or resign another year

gwill
02-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Pretty much this. Everywhere I've rented starts on a 1 year lease then it's 50/50 if they go month to month or resign another year

that's called a periodic tenancy lease where the option is to go month to month or renew. A fixed term directly stated a tenants lease is done on this day and that's it.

A fixed term tenancy with strict terms like that doesnt benefit a landlord hence why they should never use that type of lease.

It is a bit odd the landlord board considers all leases the same when it comes to moving. Even weirder a lawyers website from Calgary provides conflicting info with what I was told today.