PDA

View Full Version : help me figure out what kind of vehicle i need

nonlinear
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM
apologies for starting a new thread, but i think my questions are changing and were getting lost in that other thread that had a too specific topic.

anyhow, i was going to buy a westfalia camper this spring traveling and camping this summer, however my daily driver is about to die and there have been some changes at work so i might need a vehicle that can serve as: 1) daily driver, 2) work truck for field work in the mountains, and 3) a road trip/camping vehicle. I imagine that the vehicle will be 80% city commuting and 20% camping/field work.

as a daily driver, i'm looking for something fairly good on gas, and not too big so it's easy to drive and maneuver in traffic, etc. Right now, my daily driver is a '91 V6 j-body... i'm not sure what it gets for gas mileage, but i'm used to it, so anything as efficient or better is suitable.

for camping and field work, i mean dirt and logging roads, with some "trail" driving (sometimes these are washed out and/or rutted). we go in areas that get pretty impassable by car, and i've even bottomed out Budget rental pickups (F150?) and have got our 04 Land Rover Discoveries stuck in mud a few times (but they have stock tires). So I'm looking for something fairly adept at offroad, but not any real "mudding" or anything like that. I don't need to do any real hauling - just some light tools, gear, etc. I don't need to tow at this point, although i would like to get some sleds or dirtbikes or quad in a few years, so that is something i should at least consider. It would be nice to sleep in the vehicle, and i'm 6'1" so i think a short box is outta the question.

i'm fairly young and more interested in investing my money right now than spending it on a vehicle, so i'm looking to spend less than 10k (although I can definitely afford more, so i will consider this if i a bit more money means a lot more vehicle).

I'm looking for advice and debate on what kind of vehicle would best suit me. I've been looking at trucks, because I don't really need rear seating and a finished/carpeted cargo area that a suv offers. But I would consider the right SUV, and perhaps even a 4x4 car or crossover... if it would be allright offroad. Also, I think i'm more interested in domestics, because they are cheaper to buy and fix from what I can tell.

My brother recommended a dakota, ranger (like the fx4), or s10 ZR2,or just a regular s10 4x4. Weapon_R suggested that i just look at half-ton rams, silverados, and f150s... but i'm not sure if there are offroad packages on these larger trucks (ive bottomed out the regular ones before, so i would like some clearance). ALso, what is the difference in gas mileage going to be between the small trucks and a half ton lightweight?

I REALLY like the Tacoma trucks, although i've never driven one and it's based on looks. however, they look beefy without being too big/redneck, and they look high and seem like they would be awesome offroad. the only problem is that they are very expensive compared to similar domestics.. and probablly more expensive to fix. what are the comparable domestics to this type of vehicle. the zr2 seem similar, but i'm not sure...

sorry this is so long, but i really need help! i've never had to buy a car before in my life haha!

alloroc
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
(insert redneck voice here)

Ya'll want something with ..

dual wheels, dual headlights, dual windshield wipers, dual sun visors, dual doors, dual shocks, dual distillers, dual carburetors, dual wifes, dual divorce lawers.
(stop redneck voice)

Honestly, take some test drives, all the manufacturers nissan, toyota, ford, dodge, gm make good trucks that could suit your needs you just need to find the right fit, and no one can tell you what you like.

nonlinear
01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
well dude, there's a million different trucks, i'd at least like to narrow it down based on my needs haha.

i don't want to have to go look at every model of truck possible to find out what i need

edit: like, i obviously don't need an f350.... or a VW jetta truck. kinda looking for suggestions and advice... i mean, this is a car forum, right?

5G_celica
01-29-2009, 04:02 PM
my suggestion would be a trailblazer or envoy. (2002 and on)
it's a bigger suv than the s10 line but the mileage is about the same as the 4.3l v6.
cost is a little over 10g's right now.

I've owned 2 s10 blazer and a jimy and I don't like how they drive on the highway during winter. (the s10 truck may be different)

I came back from vancouver with my jimy and decided to trade er in for a full sized truck.. picked up a 04 f150 and I love it.

the 04's f150 (new body ) is actually only around $10k right now and mileage is pretty good. (obviously not as good as a car, but better then the hemi's)

alloroc
01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
well dude, there's a million different trucks, i'd at least like to narrow it down based on my needs haha.

i don't want to have to go look at every model of truck possible to find out what i need

edit: like, i obviously don't need an f350.... or a VW jetta truck. kinda looking for suggestions and advice... i mean, this is a car forum, right?

Oh.

Tundra 5.7L
double cab 4x4 /w trd offroad package
color timberland mica

Additional options you must buy ...
-Towing Mirrors
-Bed Extender and Installation Kit
-Tool Box
-Bed Liner, Leather Seat Surfaces, Heated Driver Seat with High/Low Setting, Heated Front Passenger Seat with High/Low Setting
-All Season Mats (4 pcs)
-2" Swing Away 4 Bike Tow Hitch adapter (includes pin & clip)
-iPod Interface
-Side Step Tubes
-Skid Plate
-Remote Starter with Hood Switch
-Navigation System Gen 5, with Backup Camera and Bluetooth®

nonlinear
01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
dude, seriously, if you are just gonna be an asshole don't bother posting anything. you must have better things to do with your time - like argue with some other conservative grease monkey about the existence of global warming.

hampstor
01-29-2009, 05:28 PM
You need to consider things like payload, passengers as well. What kind of tools/equipment are you bringing with you, how many passengers are you expecting to have in the truck?

That'll determine if you need a 1/2 ton / 3/4 ton, crew cab, regular cab, short box, long box, etc.

I think you really need to head down to a Dodge, Chev, Toyota, and Ford dealer to look at your options as far as trucks go. Trucks have way more configurations than your average car.

nonlinear
01-29-2009, 05:36 PM
^^i'm pretty sure i want an extended cab. i usually won't have more than one passenger, and in the rare cases that i do i'll squeeze them in the back. but, i do want the extended cab for throwing bags, backpacks, jackets, etc.

as for tools, like I said nothing heavy duty. everything usually fits in a laundry basket (haha) and then we have bags for samples, etc. very occasionally i'll have some cone picking ladders

yea, i realized that I could go to a dealer, however I thought I could ask on here and get the same advice a dealer would offer, but it would be unbiased cause you guys aren't selling me a truck. but i guess not

hampstor
01-29-2009, 05:44 PM
^^i'm pretty sure i want an extended cab. i usually won't have more than one passenger, and in the rare cases that i do i'll squeeze them in the back. but, i do want the extended cab for throwing bags, backpacks, jackets, etc.

as for tools, like I said nothing heavy duty. everything usually fits in a laundry basket (haha) and then we have bags for samples, etc. very occasionally i'll have some cone picking ladders

yea, i realized that I could go to a dealer, however I thought I could ask on here and get the same advice a dealer would offer, but it would be unbiased cause you guys aren't selling me a truck. but i guess not

Sounds like your dead set on a truck, personally I really like the Silverado. The 09's have just started to hit and I know the revised LTZ (with the 6.2) was given top marks by TruckTrend above the New F150, New RAM, and the Tundra.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0902_2009_half_ton_truck_comparison/index.html

alloroc
01-29-2009, 05:47 PM
dude, seriously, if you are just gonna be an asshole don't bother posting anything. you must have better things to do with your time - like argue with some other conservative grease monkey about the existence of global warming.

You posted something pretty vague don't you think?
You didn't even clarify if you wanted brand new or slightly used.

So I gave you a vague answer that is in all honesty the right answer. When I buy a car I test drive everything in the class and many cars in the classes above and below.

You then wanted specifics so I posted the exact truck I would buy if I had the money and it also suits your description.

Good for towing. Strong engine. 4x4 off road package. Towing mirrors, Interior amenities. Seats a small family. You need the skidplate and side bars offroad and you will want the bedliner if you are using it for work. Bike rack for mountain biking the leather seats if you have pets, and heated seats if you have leather seats and the navi bluetooth package with rear camera ... sweetness.

I posted a test drive check list on this forum some time ago that may help you out ...
letseee....
here.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/171858/test-drive-check-list/

alloroc
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh ya and the tool box can hold things other than tools.

Think of lots of groceries coming out of costco on a rainy day with the family.

D_flore
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM

i effing hate when people do that.

nonlinear
01-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

Sounds like your dead set on a truck, personally I really like the Silverado. The 09's have just started to hit and I know the revised LTZ (with the 6.2) was given top marks by TruckTrend above the New F150, New RAM, and the Tundra.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0902_2009_half_ton_truck_comparison/index.html

hey man, thanks for the link, i will check that out.

i'm not dead set on a truck, but i was kinda looking for something that I could put a topper or tent on and sleep in the back (seems a lot of SUVs have seats that don't fold down flat - or are there some?). also, it seems to me that in SUVs, there is a lot of effort into making the interior nice, and less attention paid to the off road/work capabilities (but then again i haven't really began to look at them yet). also, since I don't really need the extra passenger and finished cargo space, it seems like there is money being spent on interior, when i would rather have it in teh engine and/or suspension, etc. if that makes any sense :)

nonlinear
01-29-2009, 07:02 PM
hi alloroc, well i did post a price range (around 10K), which pretty much totally limits my choices to a used domestic, or an even more used import haha

anyhow, sorry to blow up on you, it's been a stressful day - not cause of you guys. sorry ;)

EDIT: your test drive checklist looks quite useful, thanks for that :thumbsup:

alloroc
01-29-2009, 07:18 PM
hi alloroc, well i did post a price range (around 10K), which pretty much totally limits my choices to a used domestic, or an even more used import haha

anyhow, sorry to blow up on you, it's been a stressful day - not cause of you guys. sorry ;)

EDIT: your test drive checklist looks quite useful, thanks for that :thumbsup:

Oh crap
I totally missed the price buried in the middle.

10k huh.
Everything you say screams full size truck but you want something newer and reliable and used trucks are ridiculously over priced in Calgary.

You may wan to see if you can get any out of province contacts or even see if someone like nbaker can help you.

Abeo
01-29-2009, 08:19 PM
I bought an 08 2wd 4 cyl ranger, and it works great for what I do with it, so I'll shed some light on the ranger (its the only one I have experience with). If you are looking at the fx4, it is awesome offroad (for a stock truck), but compared to the newer trucks its cramped and archaic inside (I don't mind that), and the 4.0 doesn't get great mileage (they offered it with a 5 spd manual too, so that helps a little). Truck is as reliable as a hammer, but about as advanced as one too. Parts are cheap, and some go back as far as 1993 (box/tailgate, for instance). The fx4 has a bunch of stuff that the regular ranger doesn't (skid plates, 8.8 inch helical rear diff, bilstein shocks, upgraded interior, bigger tires). I'm really happy with my truck, but I was looking for something cheap and spartan... its not everyone's cup of tea.

nonlinear
01-29-2009, 08:53 PM
^^cool man,thanks for the input! so they make 2wd fx4s? is the fx4 basically a suspension pkg? and why do they offer that in 2wd?

you said it performs awesome offroad - so how/why do the engine and 2wd perform so well against a larger engine and 4wd (aside from suspension?). i saw a mazda b4000, and read somewhere that it's the same as a ranger. they look like nice trucks - but the ones i saw seemed pretty tall... (which i like, but i'm not sure if that's a stock, factory pkg., or aftermarket suspension)

at this point, i'm interested in ground clearance, fairly good-sized tires, and power for going through water, ruts, mud and shit. but i'm not sure what stock packages or aftermarket upgrades even exist, or what i should be looking for.

EDIT: it's just that everytime i've been stuck or in a predicament, it's been cause of ground clearance haha.

Abeo
01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
^^cool man,thanks for the input! so they make 2wd fx4s? is the fx4 basically a suspension pkg? and why do they offer that in 2wd?

you said it performs awesome offroad - so how/why do the engine and 2wd perform so well against a larger engine and 4wd (aside from suspension?). i saw a mazda b4000, and read somewhere that it's the same as a ranger. they look like nice trucks - but the ones i saw were pretty high... (i'm not sure if that's an aftermarket suspension, or a stock pkg.)

at this point, i'm interested in ground clearance, but i'm not sure what stock packages or aftermarket upgrades even exist, or what i should be looking for.

EDIT: it's just that everytime i've been stuck or in a predicament, it's b3een cause of ground clearance haha.

I own a base xl 2wd, the fx4 is the top of the line ranger, and was only available as 4wd. The mazda trucks from 93-onward has been based on the ranger chassis. You can lift a 98+ 4wd ranger for really cheap, a torsion bar crank (turn a bolt) and either spring blocks or drop shackles from a chev full size (lifts the rear by about 2.5 inches). The ranger will accept a 33 inch tire with those mods, the fx4 can fit 32's with no lift. The truck is light enough to not cause too much problems in mud, but the number 1 important thing is good tires... the stock continentals on my truck were crap, and the bfg a/t's I put on (which come stock on the fx4) made it a totally different truck.

and for shits and giggles, here is a vid of my truck, with bfg a/t's
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8vfQfiCsRDE
my truck is regarded as one of the least off road capable rangers, and it does way more than I have the balls to try with it. The previous attempt at this hill put a foot of air under the front tires.

nonlinear
01-29-2009, 09:10 PM
^^ oh yea man, that climb is sweet, especially when you go over that lip... it looks like you scraped a bit there, did you? i'm looking to drive similar terrain, although when i go there are usually lots of wet spots, and i want something to get through so i don't have to turn back (beyond where stock discoveries get stuck).

Abeo
01-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Didn't scrape much at all, the first run I didn't even know the front tires were off the ground... didn't mark the soil or the frame.

Really, you need good tires and 4wd to get through the wet stuff... anything with a good locking transfer case, good tires and reasonable ground clearance will go through some serious mud. I would stay away from 2wd if I were you, you would be disappointed (and it kind of sucks in the winter).

jonnycat
01-30-2009, 11:31 AM
You can always lift 2wd trucks for higher ground clearance if deal mostly with berms. Honestly I would buy a 99-05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Bullet proof motor, great interiors great offroad and dirt cheap for pre-owned.

There are 19 currently in Calgary for less than $10,000 on autotrader.

nonlinear
01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
^^yea, i was actually thinking about grand cheorokees last week. i'll take a look at autotrader. i imagine there are a ton of aftermarket parts suppliers for jeep, so that could get kinda fun haha :D

jonnycat
01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
There's a sweet one in the marketplace

nonlinear
02-01-2009, 04:33 PM
i'm now starting to think about mpg, in case gas goes up again. are there any thoughts on how gas mileage would compare among jeep, domestic truck, and an import like a hyundai santa fe or subaru?

how do offroad capabilities of, say, a subaru outback or hyundai santa fe compare to a jeep or domestic turck. obviously, a truck much better, but could i use a hyundai or subaru on dirt/logging/slightly muddy roads?

hampstor
02-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Your needs seem quite diverse, have you considered 2 less expensive vehicles? The 80% city driving you do could be solved with a fuel efficient econo vehicle while the 20% field work/camping you do could be solved with an older SUV/truck.

That way, gas is less of a concern since 80% of the time you are in a fuel efficient vehicle.

atgilchrist
02-01-2009, 07:49 PM
If you're willing to look at suv's, you can pick up early 2000's Nissan Pathfinders for a good price, and they are pretty bulletproof too, the Grand Cherokee would be a good bet as well.