PDA

View Full Version : I was considering buying a used car but....

old&slow
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Now I'm not so sure. My early rational was to get my kid a car after she graduates university in April. I'm not rich so it was gonna be a used car about $5000. Simple enuf...find a decent vehicle in that range....today I heard an ad for a 2008 Hyundai Accent for under $10,000 zero interest and free oil changes for life.
Plus I understand they have a good warranty.

So when I look about and see 10 yr old civics with asking prices of 8 and 9 G's I got to wonder what's the best course of action.
A lot of used cars here of late are 7 and 8 G's for 4 and 5 yr old Nissan's and Mazda's and such. It's no longer making sense to spend 70 % on such vehicles with over 100,000kms and some as high as 200,000.

Now the Accent ain't a great car but maybe it's a great first car?
Has anyone else thought along this line? Or am I being dumb?

Love to hear comments....

Masked Bandit
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Hyundai is an interesting product right now. From all the reviews and reports I have seen on them in the last few years the view is that there quality has come up to the point of almost Toyota. The problem (from there side) is that they still have the old Hyundai reputation. I have to thing that bang for the buck, they've got everyone beat.

I would go for the new car.

Kloubek
01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Well of course you can get cheap new cars. And although the new accent is better than the old, hyundai is makiing better cars of late, and the fact that in general cars get better as technology progresses, you're still buying a bottom-of-the-barrel vehicle with zero options.

But with that vehicle, you get confidence that for a certain number of years that you're covered if anything happens. Keep in mind that after that warranty period is up, the civic will still end up being worth more than the accent.

So with that said, all you're NOT paying for is any repairs. Yet, if you buy a good car like a civic, you're not THAT likely to have any major repairs anyway.

So for the slight amount extra you might have to pay with new tires, belts, etc, you're getting a better built, better equipped, and more interesting car by buying an older civic.

If you look around you'll be able to find 10 year old civic for less than that. If you're looking for the top-of-the-line, maybe. But then, that's a much nicer car than the accent right?

How about other cars in the same price range; 99 or 2000 for about 10g. (Just did a very quick search for you...)

Passat
Camary
Acura 3.2TL
Audi A6
Jaguar XJ8 (the brand is MUCH improved, btw)

Now, if you're gonna sit there and tell me that the Accent has ANYTHING over the... say... Acura 3.2TL, then I'm going to tell you that you're out to lunch.

So in the end, if you're only looking for VERY basic transportation, and only going to keep it for a couple of years, perhaps buying new IS the way to go.

But if you want a car you'd actually be proud to own and doesn't just get you from point A to poiint B, then perhaps used is the way to go; especially if you snag something still on warranty. (Which obviously you wouldn't with a 2000, but a "lesser" car that is only 4 or 5 years old maybe?)

Xtrema
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
You probably don't want any headache with a girl's first car.

Hyundai is fine.

But after freight, taxes, auto (assuming she doesn't drive stick) and AC (assuming she wants to be cool in summer), it'll be more like $15K than $10K.

And I thought it's 2.9% 0 down, not 0%.

theken
01-29-2009, 06:55 PM
A 10 year old civic is still a 10 year old civic I would not be "proud" yo drive a 10 year old civic in the first place that type of rationel is typical fanboy. Same lines as my 88 hatch is still pimp cause it runs. I would buy the accent not for resale value but you have a warrenty for 10 years and oil changes takes headaches away.

HiTempguy1
01-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
You probably don't want any headache with a girl's first car.

Hyundai is fine.

But after freight, taxes, auto (assuming she doesn't drive stick) and AC (assuming she wants to be cool in summer), it'll be more like $15K than $10K.

And I thought it's 2.9% 0 down, not 0%.

^^^ This.

I also wanted to make the comment that you shouldn't spoil her and she should at least have to help pay for the car. Sorry, had to throw that in. Also, unless you are paying for insurance it is going to be RIDICULOUSLY expensive as Hyundai (or a bank) will require full coverage (I'm assuming your daughter is under the age of 25).

A '99 Civic hatchback with under 150K would be the bees knees so to speak ;)

Edit-
For more accurate and useful info it would be beneficial to post some pics of said daughter...

D'z Nutz
01-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Since she's graduating from university, keep in mind that she'll be eligible for the graduate rebate that many companies offer on new cars. Some offer as low as $500 while others as much as $1500.

If it were me, it'd be a no-brainer. I'd go for the new car with warranty, even if it is a lesser car (as opposed to a better, used car). After all, this is a first car.

Why don't you offer to pay the first $X amount for the car and if she wants something nicer, she can cover the rest?

Weapon_R
01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
I doubt you'll be able to get away with a reasonably equipped Hyundai for 10k

First off, it's a cash deal only. Don't have 10k in cash? Don't bother.

Secondly, you have to factor in tax and freight, good for another 2-3k.

Third, you are buying an absolutely base car. Manual transmission, no options, no comforts. Add an auto tranny and a/c, power windows and locks, and you've added a few thousand more.

So, for a relatively well equipped accent, you'll look to spend around $16-17k. After 2 years, try selling it for 7k if you're lucky. Even the bare bones one is going to still cost you $13k plus interest (if you get private financing). The depreciation of used Hyundais is still shocking, despite their newfound 'reputation'.

Now, the alternative is a lightly used Honda civic or Corolla. You can probably get an 03-05 for about 10k if you look. Someone already took the depreciation hit and pre-ordered your options, and a low mileage civic/corolla of that vintage isn't going to give you much trouble. After a couple years, you'll sell that civic for no less than 7 or 8k (keep in mind, 98-00s are still selling for no less than 5k right now!) It makes more financial sense to get a civic or corolla with more options, rock solid reliability, and excellent resale value.

Phil_McGraw
01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
A teacher from my school bought a brand new loaded V6 ford ranger in cash for $13000. To me that's a pretty good deal right now.

old&slow
01-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

^^^ This.

I also wanted to make the comment that you shouldn't spoil her and she should at least have to help pay for the car. Sorry, had to throw that in. Also, unless you are paying for insurance it is going to be RIDICULOUSLY expensive as Hyundai (or a bank) will require full coverage (I'm assuming your daughter is under the age of 25).

A '99 Civic hatchback with under 150K would be the bees knees so to speak ;)

Edit-
For more accurate and useful info it would be beneficial to post some pics of said daughter...

If I was to go this route I would be giving her $5000 towards the purchase...she would be responsible from all angles...

Aleks
01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Nope it's 10K AND 0%

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/SpecialOffer/SalesPromotions.aspx

semograd
01-29-2009, 07:45 PM
it's a great first car,
My dad's 2000 elantra lasted 130k with absolutely no problems, ended up trading it in for a car with heated seats lol

Just make sure it has a block heater, they suck when it's -30 or below

you&me
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Hyundai is an interesting product right now. From all the reviews and reports I have seen on them in the last few years the view is that there quality has come up to the point of almost Toyota. The problem (from there side) is that they still have the old Hyundai reputation. I have to thing that bang for the buck, they've got everyone beat.

I would go for the new car.

I'm also hearing that the new Hyundais are getting very close to the Japanese makers.

It could be possible that by the time the new Hyundai is, say, 10 years old, market perception could be very different and the resale would reflect that.

black13
01-29-2009, 10:25 PM
To me the depreciation value of a new car is never worth it.

And older car means more parts available for cheaper so you won't have to pay high repair costs in case she gets into an accident and plus lower insurance as well.

Why not get the best of both worlds and just buy a used Accent? The newer ones are probably still under warranty and you won't have to pay any other charges.

skylinegtr20
01-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Get a 02'-05' corolla. These things practically never have problems if well maintained.

Reliable, safe, and good resale value.

Same goes for the civic of course!

Mitsu3000gt
01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
The catch on the Hyundai deal is that it has no options, and a manual transmission. You're pushing $15,000 after you get all of the must-haves for most people.

jsn
01-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Now, if you're gonna sit there and tell me that the Accent has ANYTHING over the... say... Acura 3.2TL, then I'm going to tell you that you're out to lunch.

I disagree. An acura 3.2TL in the same price range as an accent will have fairly high mileage. Keeping in mind that this is a STARTER car, you're probably not really looking for luxary and all the extras. With a higher mileage Tl, you'll probably be looking at higher maintainence costs than an accent.

With a brand new accent, the warentee will cover you for the first few years so you don't have to worry about a thing. And like mentioned above, hyundais build quality is getting better as of late.

Sorath
01-30-2009, 01:13 AM
for 10 grand i`d get an 04-05 civic/corrolla u can find one for that price, its not too old....

2EFNFAST
01-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Get the Hyundai.

I've always been a big advocate of getting a used "beater" for a first car, because in my experience, something always happens to it..

But there's always the exceptions..

Get the Hyundai.. less headaches in the long run..

old&slow
01-30-2009, 05:52 AM
gonna go to the dealership to get some real numbers...

Zero102
01-30-2009, 07:20 AM
The web site does give you the real numbers, it comes in under $12k if you add no options and keep the manual transmission.

I know it is tempting to buy brand new and get the warranty and everything, but there is another side to this.
If the 08's are going so cheap, what are the 07's worth? and the 06's?

With such great pricing on the 08's, you should be able to find one a couple of years old (used) for significantly lower.

I agree with the others on here, they have an excellent warranty and their recent track record has been very good, especially given the pricing of their vehicles.

I know warranty coverage and new cars are nice, but if its her first car I would think twice about buying brand new.

CTSV
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Gee, a topic that I can talk on with experience. 1) I do not believe in buying new cars for children because they won't appreciate the car and as a result probably won't take care of it either. 2) They will have an accident, just hope it is a fender bender 3) New cars have to have collision and as someone already mentioned it is EXPENSIVE for a young person.
My suggestion: Buy a 10 year old car. Make sure the car is in the child's name. Insure the car for PLPD only again in the child's name so it won't affect your insurance. When they put scrapes or bumps on it no one will care. When they have a few years driving experience and they decide to buy a new car they will appreciate it and the insurance will be more reasonable.

Tomaz
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by CTSV
Gee, a topic that I can talk on with experience. 1) I do not believe in buying new cars for children because they won't appreciate the car and as a result probably won't take care of it either. 2) They will have an accident, just hope it is a fender bender 3) New cars have to have collision and as someone already mentioned it is EXPENSIVE for a young person.
My suggestion: Buy a 10 year old car. Make sure the car is in the child's name. Insure the car for PLPD only again in the child's name so it won't affect your insurance. When they put scrapes or bumps on it no one will care. When they have a few years driving experience and they decide to buy a new car they will appreciate it and the insurance will be more reasonable.

:thumbsup:

Pretty much the way I had to do it. Everything was under my name right from the beginning. It is the best way to get someone started off.

I didn't see in the original post, but is this her first car? New driver?

benyl
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Yes, it has a reliable transmission WITH warranty.

whiskas
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Yes, it has a reliable transmission WITH warranty.

OH SNAP

old&slow
01-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

:thumbsup:

Pretty much the way I had to do it. Everything was under my name right from the beginning. It is the best way to get someone started off.

I didn't see in the original post, but is this her first car? New driver?

She's not a new driver. She's already had her "accident".
I put her off a car for about 5 years as I already had enuf vehicles with other kids...I'm sure I can find a decent used car if I look enuf...but I really resent paying 50 to 70 % for something that's worn out, unreliable and costly for repairs...

Some years ago I bought a Prelude for my oldest that was like 15 years old. $2200 for a piece of shit...but it was a honda! I believed the hype about the bullet proof car. Won't do that again.

Will keep an eye out.

thnx all

urban.one
01-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Also consider safety.

What does the Hyundai come with? ABS, air bags, whats the crash rating, etc?

Buying a car for a girl is different than buying a car for your son who is a wannabe mechanic and doesnt mind spending his evenings and weekends wrenching on his decade old car.

Warranty will also mean she wont have to worry about a shop her ripping her off on service.

The Hyundai doesnt look like a bad first car.

anschutz_92
01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the typical fanboi answers. :rolleyes:

A 6th Gen Civic doesn't compare to a brand new car from any company. Complaining about resale on a Hyundai? I don't know about you guys but I don't buy my DD as an investment. Some people don't mind spending an extra $30/month to have a car that doesn't need parts replaced. Have the transmission or head gasket fail on the Honda and if you can't do the work yourself you are looking at a minimum $1000-3000k repair (depending on what actually breaks), this is a significant portion of the Hyundai's value.

Long story short,
Civic=cheap track whore for those who can't afford anything else.
Hyundai=good first car

kwazy
01-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Buying a Hyundai is like social suicide, that's if your daughter was a guy or cared about cars.

Here's some things you have to consider, how much is the car comfortably loaded and out the door vs a car that is used and out the door?

Hyundai's drop in value faster than pretty much any car maker out there, so if you decide to sell the car in a couple years, it would be worth next to nothing.

Also, what's with people here that are so against buying a car for their kid? I guess this forum has a totally different take than mbworld, bimmerforums, 6speedonline etc. I know many teens that get 100k cars when they get their licences which I see nothing wrong with as long as they are responsible.

dino_martini
01-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by kwazy
Buying a Hyundai is like social suicide, that's if your daughter was a guy or cared about cars.

i dont think that will matter. Most of her friends will probably just be excited that some one has a car...

old&slow
01-30-2009, 06:51 PM
^ I don't buy cars with the intention of selling them.
I can't comment on the social aspect. I have no idea whats acceptable for a young woman. But she doesn't have a car and I think a new car with warranty and free oil changes would perk anyone's interest!

old&slow
01-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
Thanks for all the typical fanboi answers. :rolleyes:

A 6th Gen Civic doesn't compare to a brand new car from any company. Complaining about resale on a Hyundai? I don't know about you guys but I don't buy my DD as an investment. Some people don't mind spending an extra $30/month to have a car that doesn't need parts replaced. Have the transmission or head gasket fail on the Honda and if you can't do the work yourself you are looking at a minimum $1000-3000k repair (depending on what actually breaks), this is a significant portion of the Hyundai's value.

Long story short,
Civic=cheap track whore for those who can't afford anything else.
Hyundai=good first car

Odd you should mention that...My 04 RSX has an oil leak. Less than 70,000 kms. Not sure where it's coming from but it's not the drain plug and not the filter....Gonna be costly!

NickGT
01-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Buy the Hyundai. Your daughter is just getting out of school. That's a fine first car with tons of warranty if something happens.

If she wants something fancy - let her earn it herself. :dunno:

whatthe
01-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Buy the Hyundia, drive it until it falls apart and throw it away. You should be able to get 200,000kms of fairly hassle free driving. You can't beat the warranty and not having to deal with Calgarys very questionable mechanics. All she will have to do for the warranty period is get in and drive it and make sure it gets to the dealer.

90-95% of used cars in Calgary have problems. If they say they haven't had to touch a thing, expect to touch many things. Plasticr/rubber ages cracks (bushings, belts, etc.), clutches wear, tires wear, it's a fact of owning a car. If they haven't done anything you may have to do timing belt, water pump, plugs, drive belt, clutch etc. etc. The chances of problems and repairs isn't worth it when some douche bag at Canadian Tire will charge your daughter $1500 to replace a water pump.

I've owned many Hondas. It's a fallacy that parts won't need to be replaced because it's a Honda. when they are old and high mileage, stuff guys... it's part of owning a car.

It may go less frequently than chev, but 3 times less frequently (given parts price premium)... not in my experience...

As a side... if she wants a vehicle nicer than a Hyundia, it will come in the form of buying something 2-3 years old. i.e. cars like my '06 Tribute are worth about a 1/3 of what it was new and still won't sell. :) and it will be on the road in 10 years where a 10 year old Honda won't be without more work and $$

Team_Mclaren
01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
if you are planning on keeping the car for more than 5 years, the hyundia is a great deal. With warranty and being newer, you wouldnt have to worry about much. Since you mentioned that you are not looking to sell anytime soon, get the hyundia

dieselpower91
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
The Hyundai sounds like a great option.

A 10yr old car is a 10yr old car.. anyway you look at it it will need stuff fixed.
Doesn't matter if its an ohh-soo perfect Honda.
Buying new you will get the depreciation of course but you also get the piece of mind of warranty plus knowing that the car hasn't been abused before you got it. With used cars alot of times you never know if you get a car that hasn't been maintained and/or driven hard.

My girlfriend bought a Accent new in July.
Hers has almost all the options minus sunroof.
Power windows, locks, mirros, keyless entry, cd/mp3, a/c, cruise, automatic, etc etc.. very well equipped and she paid just under $15k.

I was kind of skeptical until I actually rode in it and drove it. It is a very well built car so far. Doesn't feel cheap like most entry level hatchbacks I have driven.

I found it to be well designed. No blind spots. Easy view out of all windows. Very well laid out controls for everything.

I am sure that you could get a nicely equipped Accent for under $15k now since they are really trying to clear out all the 08's.

I say just go test drive it with her and see what she thinks!

Generic
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Secondly, you have to factor in tax and freight, good for another 2-3k.

Third, you are buying an absolutely base car. Manual transmission, no options, no comforts. Add an auto tranny and a/c, power windows and locks, and you've added a few thousand more.

So, for a relatively well equipped accent, you'll look to spend around $16-17k. After 2 years, try selling it for 7k if you're lucky. Even the bare bones one is going to still cost you $13k plus interest (if you get private financing). The depreciation of used Hyundais is still shocking, despite their newfound 'reputation'.

Now, the alternative is a lightly used Honda civic or Corolla. You can probably get an 03-05 for about 10k if you look. Someone already took the depreciation hit and pre-ordered your options, and a low mileage civic/corolla of that vintage isn't going to give you much trouble. After a couple years, you'll sell that civic for no less than 7 or 8k (keep in mind, 98-00s are still selling for no less than 5k right now!) It makes more financial sense to get a civic or corolla with more options, rock solid reliability, and excellent resale value.

wow. Bang on. 100% perfect, this is what you should do.

86max
02-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by kwazy
Buying a Hyundai is like social suicide

Truth

I've lost all my friends since I got a Hyundai. Drive thru's purposely mess up my orders, Quick-lube never fills up my oil properly, I lost a potential job at a well known law firm, and people keep deflating my tires and spitting on my car.

Lesson: Buying your daughter a Hyundai is like sending her to high school wearing Ugly Betty glasses and a denim over-alls from walmart. Not cool.

/sarcasm

01RedDX
02-02-2009, 08:13 PM