PDA

View Full Version : Is there a demand for people to go into the trades? (Electrician or Plumber)

tango101
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Beyonders

Im turning 21 late this year and would like to stop dicking around in university and would like to figure out what to do with my life. I'm considering a big shift in my plans for the future here. Instead of pursuing a degree in Business (or something else for that matter), would it be a wise decision for me to consider becoming an electrician or plumber? My parents have been telling me ever since I’ve been in high school that a lot of tradesmen will be retiring soon, and that because most parents are pushing their kids into university that there will be a great demand for their services. Can anyone who works in these fields comment on this? What’s the pay like? How do trades like the ones I’m considering do in tough economic times like the present? Any general concerns I should have?

Any insight into these questions would be appreciated. Thanks for your time

Graham_A_M
01-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Stay in business school, trust me. There is a LOT more potential in that then slugging away at a trades job, wearing coveralls.

If I could go back in time and change one thing: it would be to try harder in high school, so I had a chance to GO to university, and attend business school, either in the U of C or the U of A, even elsewhere.
Instead I didn't (probably the stupidest decision I've ever made in my life), so I graduated with mediocre marks.
Now I'm an apprenctice MillWright, since it would be several years of upgrading classes to finally be able to attend university.
A Millwright is basically a professional jack of all trades. I do electrical work, machining, welding, repairs, set-up, calibration, metal-work (in general) and a few other things. Its very technical and challenging.
Honestly, its cool to not work in a cubicle of sorts, but I'd rather blow my brains out then wake up someday and still doing this as a 40 year old. The most I can ever make is about $100k a year at Fort Mac, $60-70k a year locally. Thats it. Anymore then that and I'd have to do something else besides doing what I do.

So for that what choice do I have to achieve my goals other then start up a business, or invest heavily? (which I am currently doing)

Enter: Business school, which is the training I wish I had towards understanding leverage in businesses and investing.

Slave away working 7:30-4pm everyday wearing coveralls with no chance of (DECENT) occupational growth, or at least something with almost unlimited potential, perhaps not while working a job, but at least the potential for business ownership & investing is there to a much more significant degree.

I know there will be people quoting this message saying I'm biased, as perhaps they like their trades job a lot more then I do mine. (this is just MY opinion, and that alone, which is to be taken as such).

Its not so much the "loving my job" aspect I speak of, its the fact that I've seen time and time again, my 40-50 year old co-workers making only a bit more then I am, and quite washed up driving worse cars and just generally: Un-happy. Its a sad sad feeling knowing I'll be headed down that road exactly, if I continue doing what I'm doing. :( :( without changing a thing.
EDIT: There are huge job openings in all areas, with the baby boomer generation closing into retirement.

Jim Rome99
01-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Stay in business school, trust me. There is a LOT more potential in that then slugging away at a trades job, wearing coveralls.

If I could go back in time and change one thing: it would be to try harder in high school, so I had a chance to GO to university, and attend business school, either in the U of C or the U of A, even elsewhere.
Instead I didn't (probably the stupidest decision I've ever made in my life), so I graduated with mediocre marks.
Now I'm an apprenctice MillWright, since it would be several years of upgrading classes to finally be able to attend university.
A Millwright is basically a professional jack of all trades. I do electrical work, machining, welding, repairs, set-up, calibration, metal-work (in general) and a few other things. Its very technical and challenging.
Honestly, its cool to not work in a cubicle of sorts, but I'd rather blow my brains out then wake up someday and still doing this as a 40 year old. The most I can ever make is about $100k a year at Fort Mac, $60-70k a year locally. Thats it. Anymore then that and I'd have to do something else besides doing what I do.

So for that what choice do I have to achieve my goals other then start up a business, or invest heavily? (which I am currently doing)

Enter: Business school, which is the training I wish I had towards understanding leverage in businesses and investing.

Slave away working 7:30-4pm everyday wearing coveralls with no chance of (DECENT) occupational growth, or at least something with almost unlimited potential, perhaps not while working a job, but at least the potential for business ownership & investing is there to a much more significant degree.

I know there will be people quoting this message saying I'm biased, as perhaps they like their trades job a lot more then I do mine. (this is just MY opinion, and that alone, which is to be taken as such).

Its not so much the "loving my job" aspect I speak of, its the fact that I've seen time and time again, my 40-50 year old co-workers making only a bit more then I am, and quite washed up driving worse cars and just generally: Un-happy. Its a sad sad feeling knowing I'll be headed down that road exactly, if I continue doing what I'm doing. :( :( without changing a thing.
EDIT: There are huge job openings in all areas, with the baby boomer generation closing into retirement.

I'm a twenty-five year old electrician and I couldn't agree with this guy more. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get into the trades and see what it's like for yourself. Trust me, you'll have a whole new understanding for university and higher education. I work with a great group of guys but they are all unhappy people with no job security and they're all treated like the numbers they are. You won't fully appreciate it until you're out there in mid-January banging away forty stories high in the blowing wind and cold.

revelations
01-29-2009, 08:27 PM
My 2c is that if you spend at least a few years in the trades, you will have a much better general background for when you want to go back to school and want to move up.

Ie, youd be a well-rounded person.... and then once youve been in an office for a few years, you wont be thinking about missing out on working with your hands - if its something you enjoy.

BTW if you specialize in electrical trades, you can make stupid amounts of cash - esp if you start your own business.

One doesent have to do cold high rises forever.

Barking_Spidre
01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Why not do both? How long do you have left in your business degree? You could always tough it out, then go into a trade and start your own business once you're a journeyman or competent/confident enough.

That's my plan anyways, minus the business degree, and carpentry (renovations, etc) as my trade, instead of plumber or an electrician.

LOLzilla
01-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Maybe see your school career counselor and have a aptitude test done. It should help get on the right track.

Antonito
01-29-2009, 09:27 PM
In times like these, it'll be a pain to get into the trades, as there seems to be more people getting laid off then hired.

But the retirement argument does have merit. My feeling is that with a lack of work, a lot of the tradesmen that have been hanging on for the recent record breaking wages just aren't going to bother, and call it a career. Then once things get back into full swing, there will be spots of open for sure.

How far along in your business degree are you? If it's getting paid for by your parents, keep doing it, it'll let you ride out the recession, give you a backup in case you hate the trades or get permanently injured, and can help you tremendously if you want to start your own business (which should be any ambitious tradesmans dream)

Rocky
01-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes, trade services have been in high demand as of late, and they may continue to be due to aging populations and the larger amount of people going to university.

However, job security is not secure in trades, and those industries are very prone to boom and bust. You'll see it as the recession continues. A solid degree from a well-recognized institution isn't a get-into-job-free card, but it's still going to go a long way to make sure you have a steady and stable career to support yourself and a family. University is a lot of work up front, but in the long run, there's a reason why it's highly regarded and why some (i.e. above posters) have regretted not being able to go to school in the long run.

I would argue, there'll be just as many retiring in the trades industries as in business/office related settings, or at least a close amount.

Also, figure out what you want to do before getting into post-secondary (if you're not in already) -- it's a massive waste of time, and more importantly money, to go to school without knowing what you want to do or having a clear career path in your head. If you have questions about business school or such I'd be happy to answer more.

Jim Rome99
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I should add, don't be fooled by thinking that all these baby boomers will be retiring soon. 90% of them here in Alberta work on large industrial projects in Fort Saskatchewan/Fort McMurray. You don't see sixty year olds working in downtown high rises because they can't hack the pace required.

Finish the semester that's just started, and get a job as an electrical apprentice in early May. You'll get a job easy as that is the busiest time of the year. Do it for one summer, and you'll know by the end of August if it is something you want to do for the rest of your life.

thrasher22
01-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm so sick of hearing everyone talk about University like its a free ticket to a happy and easy life. :banghead:

One of my best friends dropped out of university 2 years ago and became an electrician, and he's happier than he ever was in University (and makes more money than me).
Meanwhile I have a stressful job, work tons of overtime AND won't get a raise this year because of the recession... sweeeeeet.

Take some time off university and try a trade, you can always go back to u of c. There is no right route, if you're motivated you'll be successful.

And to all the other posters talking how they wished they went to university... what are you waiting for? If thats what you want to do get off your ass and upgrade.

Graham_A_M
01-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
I should add, don't be fooled by thinking that all these baby boomers will be retiring soon. 90% of them here in Alberta work on large industrial projects in Fort Saskatchewan/Fort McMurray. You don't see sixty year olds working in downtown high rises because they can't hack the pace required.

Finish the semester that's just started, and get a job as an electrical apprentice in early May. You'll get a job easy as that is the busiest time of the year. Do it for one summer, and you'll know by the end of August if it is something you want to do for the rest of your life.
Couldn't possibly agree more. Get the experience for a while and see what you think. Like the above post said, take time off of school for a while to wiegh your options. Chances are you'll be back in a hurry. Doing the EXACT same wiring jobs for 40 years? I dont know about you but I'd go fucking nuts in no time at all.
:banghead:
Tossing on the ole' blue collar coveralls and lacing up those steel toed work boots EVERY morning gets to you, FAST.

Jim Rome99
01-31-2009, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by thrasher22
I'm so sick of hearing everyone talk about University like its a free ticket to a happy and easy life. :banghead:

One of my best friends dropped out of university 2 years ago and became an electrician, and he's happier than he ever was in University (and makes more money than me).
Meanwhile I have a stressful job, work tons of overtime AND won't get a raise this year because of the recession... sweeeeeet.

Take some time off university and try a trade, you can always go back to u of c. There is no right route, if you're motivated you'll be successful.

And to all the other posters talking how they wished they went to university... what are you waiting for? If thats what you want to do get off your ass and upgrade.

Not that simple buddy. You can't just "get off your ass and upgrade". I don't live at home for free with mommy and daddy. I've done night courses at Mount Royal and even took four months off work to do a full time semester at U of C. Eight months out of work for four straight years is more than most people can afford.

thrasher22
01-31-2009, 03:19 PM

Not that simple buddy. You can't just "get off your ass and upgrade". I don't live at home for free with mommy and daddy. I've done night courses at Mount Royal and even took four months off work to do a full time semester at U of C. Eight months out of work for four straight years is more than most people can afford.

Good for you! I just get tired of hearing people talk about and never try. Schools expensive, but the government will throw loans at you (debt... I know) but there are tons of scholarships and grants you can get, just no one ever tries for them.
The mother of a girl I dated in high school went back to school to become a nurse, and she was a single mother with 4 kids, and she was bat-shit nuts. If she can do it anyone can.

anschutz_92
01-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22

Depending on what you are going into. Engineering, fresh out of school 60-80k to start. Accounting, 60k. Nurse: 30/hr, and they will give you all the overtime you can possibly desire. Trades don't start anywhere near these numbers working a regular work week in town and don't hold nearly the same job security.

But I will agree with you; hold a general science degree or art degree? Have fun being in school for another 4 years if you actually want to apply your knowledge in the real world and get paid for it.

I would have went into mechanics. I love cars. But who the hell wants to get their hands dirty when they are 35? So, I chose Mechanical Engineering instead (not the tech course... ). I'm pretty much guaranteed a job once I'm out of school, I'll have a regular 40hr week, and my degree is recognized anywhere in North America (so I can move some place warmer lol).

Perfect Dark
01-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92

Depending on what you are going into. Engineering, fresh out of school 60-80k to start. Accounting, 60k. Nurse: 30/hr, and they will give you all the overtime you can possibly desire. Trades don't start anywhere near these numbers working a regular work week in town and don't hold nearly the same job security.

But I will agree with you; hold a general science degree or art degree? Have fun being in school for another 4 years if you actually want to apply your knowledge in the real world and get paid for it.

I would have went into mechanics. I love cars. But who the hell wants to get their hands dirty when they are 35? So, I chose Mechanical Engineering instead (not the tech course... ). I'm pretty much guaranteed a job once I'm out of school, I'll have a regular 40hr week, and my degree is recognized anywhere in North America (so I can move some place warmer lol).

The thing you aren't mentioning is that tradesmen start making their money the day they start, whereas anyone going to school just puts themselves in debt for 4 years (or more) straight. So when you come out making 60-80k starting I have worked 4 years and made 50-60k minimum. Oh, and I have no debt to pay off.

I have nothing against people going to school at all, I was almost one of them. I made the choice early on that I couldn't sit behind a desk while I was young so I got my hands dirty for awhile. Now I am running jobs and barely touch a tool...different strokes for different folks.

To the OP, I would recommend giving an apprenticeship a whirl, the worst that can happen is that you don't like it and pursue other avenues.

Jim Rome99
01-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark

The thing you aren't mentioning is that tradesmen start making their money the day they start, whereas anyone going to school just puts themselves in debt for 4 years (or more) straight. So when you come out making 60-80k starting I have worked 4 years and made 50-60k minimum. Oh, and I have no debt to pay off.

I have nothing against people going to school at all, I was almost one of them. I made the choice early on that I couldn't sit behind a desk while I was young so I got my hands dirty for awhile. Now I am running jobs and barely touch a tool...different strokes for different folks.

To the OP, I would recommend giving an apprenticeship a whirl, the worst that can happen is that you don't like it and pursue other avenues.

Wrong wrong wrong. You still have to go to school if you are going to become an electrician. Three eight-week block release periods followed by one twelve week period.

r0g3r
01-31-2009, 04:47 PM
oops wrong thread.... I'll contribute anyways

umm do what you love man, test it out for a summer and see if you want to do it for the rest of your life.

:D

Perfect Dark
01-31-2009, 06:44 PM

Wrong wrong wrong. You still have to go to school if you are going to become an electrician. Three eight-week block release periods followed by one twelve week period.

No shit? Thanks tips.

My point was that someone who goes to school full time is 99% of the time going into debt to do so, while most tradesmen can get through their 2 or 3 month blocks without needing assistance.

Barking_Spidre
01-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark

No shit? Thanks tips.

My point was that someone who goes to school full time is 99% of the time going into debt to do so, while most tradesmen can get through their 2 or 3 month blocks without needing assistance.

And can also go on EI while in school as well. And there are alberta grants ($1000 everytime you go) and canadian grants too I believe.

Jim Rome99
01-31-2009, 10:49 PM
It is not nearly as easy as you two seem to think it is. First off, you have to serve a four week waiting period when you go to school for first year. Secondly, most apprentices can't afford to take two months off work, especially first years when the process is even more difficult.

I finished in 2005 and I didn't get this $1000 grant you're talking about. I applied for a grant and got $50 the first year and nothing the next three.

Perfect Dark
02-01-2009, 01:30 AM
It is not nearly as easy as you two seem to think it is. First off, you have to serve a four week waiting period when you go to school for first year. Secondly, most apprentices can't afford to take two months off work, especially first years when the process is even more difficult.

I finished in 2005 and I didn't get this $1000 grant you're talking about. I applied for a grant and got $50 the first year and nothing the next three.

Jesus, perhaps I wasn't overly clear....I have been an electrician for 13 years. I started at $8/hour and had to work my ass off compared to the apprentices I have now. I made out just fine through school because I scrimped and saved just to make sure I could eat. I wouldn't be commenting if I didn't know something about the trades....oh, and there was no such thing as a grant when I went through my apprenticeship.

Don't tell me how hard things are.

(Sorry for taking this OT)

FlySi
02-01-2009, 02:07 AM
look into elevator mechanic apprenticeship, journeyman make excellent money, I think around 48 an hour, lots of overtime at $100 an hour. A few guys I know are making 100k a year working 40 hour weeks.

Jim Rome99
02-01-2009, 09:40 AM
If you want to get into elevator mechanics, you must have a full four year apprenticeship completed in another trade first.

sr20s14zenki
02-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Im just going to school this may to finish up my welding apprenticeship. I make good money RIGHT NOW and im happy with my job and the way things are going. The trades arent for everybody, but neither is school. I have friends that have gone to university for 5 years, and guess what, they dont use it, they got a job that has NOTHING to do with what they majored at in university. All i can tell you is this man, the decision is YOURS. Do what makes you happy, because life is short, and the more youre happy, the better life is. I have quit MANY shops because i was unhappy, be it the boss thinks he can treat people like shit with no reprocussions, or theres a higher up worker thats just a total dick. Whatever it is, im not afraid to quit and move on. With the financial crisis, im more leery about quitting anything, but im good where i am. As it sits, i have a chance to buy into this company, and grow with it, and i like that. Best part? My boss is the same age as me, his dad ran a welding company in red deer/caroline for like 15 years. So, bottom line, dont let anybody tell you what you want to do, you just kinda have to do things for yourself and see what you like. Before i came to the decision to be a welder, i worked at a decent paying dead end job for 6 years before i figured it out. If i could do anything, i would have started my apprenticeship when i was 18, not 25.

Gl man

Graham_A_M
02-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by FlySi
look into elevator mechanic apprenticeship, journeyman make excellent money, I think around 48 an hour, lots of overtime at $100 an hour. A few guys I know are making 100k a year working 40 hour weeks.
Good luck getting on doing that. Thats a dream gig for a ton of people.

DRKM
02-03-2009, 02:33 AM
As a person who is has a ticket and is finishing my second degree I think that getting a ticket is fine.

Trade work is good work, the pay is exceptional and you can go anywhere with it.

If you want to make more than 100k a year start your own business. If you want to make less, stay as an employee.

I think that this is the same principle as someone who has a university degree. Don't think that those engineers who make 60k out of school are not working there asses off.

In the end you will end up doing the same bullshit whether you get a degree or a ticket.

Beerking
02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Seems like most you tradesmen still have your jobs, that is great. I know of several close friends and family friends that have already been laid off in the trades (journeymen, apprentices). I would think that now is tough time for anyone to make a decision on what they want to get into or for those graduating in either university or trade school.

Employers are firing, not hiring, so newly graduates are being cut short. 'Tis a tough time everywhere.:eek:

Perfect Dark
02-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Beerking
Seems like most you tradesmen still have your jobs, that is great. I know of several close friends and family friends that have already been laid off in the trades (journeymen, apprentices). I would think that now is tough time for anyone to make a decision on what they want to get into or for those graduating in either university or trade school.

Employers are firing, not hiring, so newly graduates are being cut short. 'Tis a tough time everywhere.:eek:

Well put, it's tough everywhere but if you know where to look there is always work for an experienced tradesman. The jobs may not be ideal but as long as they get you through the rough patches then that's all that matters.

Graham_A_M
02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Beerking

yeah I'm keeping my head way down and working like a mofo to not be one of those people. No raises for me until were well in the clear and things are clearly on the rise.
The people that are "deadwieght" are the first to go in these times, which explains the shitty applicants we've been getting recently. :rolleyes:

I do my absolute best everyday to provide value to my company, so I'm never put in that position.
:eek:
The people that contribute the least, and get paid the most are sent packing before the quality guys are. STill amazes me, the plant/shop closures. :nut: Sure makes me nervous to say the least... at least we still have a fair share of work to keep us and the shop busy.

EDIT, has the OP even posted in this thread since?:confused:

Barking_Spidre
02-03-2009, 06:38 PM

What's this 4 week waiting period you're talking about? I went straight from my job to school within 2 days, no waiting. So I don't know why you're saying it's so hard for first years.

And you don't just get the grant, you have to apply for it. I missed my chance and didn't get it, but from now on when I go, I'll be applying as soon as possible, for sure.

Jim Rome99
02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Your EI benefits don't kick in for four weeks when you're a first year.

Perfect Dark
02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Your EI benefits don't kick in for four weeks when you're a first year.

This is new since I was in school, used to be only 2 weeks...that sucks.

tango101
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM

EDIT, has the OP even posted in this thread since?:confused:

I've been following this thread on the daily since its been posted. I plan on posting an in depth reply later on tonight or tomorrow morning. I appreciate all the feedback and information so far. Please continue the discussion!

IhateDomestic
02-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Man, do your degree.

Not everyone get's the chance and it's about overall uplifting your intelligence and learning experience.

There's probably +1 Million of us that thought the same thing.

Listen to the first guy that responded to you because it's 100% true.

In fact, how many kids are thinking the exact same thing you are? There's probably a fuckkkkk load of kids getting ready for those trades. More so than normally because of the increased trade students @ SAIT and NAIT this year.

SO actually, in 20 years the specific market you're in may be saturated which means your labour costs must be competitive which means <100K. (Quite bold obviously but i'm trying to exaggerate my point...) By taking Econ, Stats, English, Yadda--You can use those background knowledge in your advantage where a plumber only knows plumbing related things (unless he seeks sources of education outside work, another bold statement I know..but I'm trying to convince this guy Education is not evil).

But listen, you're still very young. So Slow down. Relax and enjoy your youth. There's plenty of time to make Mullah.

Trust me/us.

If you want that fast life bull-shit, make $10,000 a month working @ home! Then you're best bet is to get into the drug trade but remember Jamal is on the other end of that scenario, waiting for you with his 12" penis at the Remand Centre.

So weigh out the cost and benefits. Plus you're not even 3rd year.. you're only doing boring courses right now just wait. Plus, by the time your out you are only 21-23.

Graham_A_M
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I think I've said what I've meant to said in this thread already...

but one more thing to add, is that GETTING apprenticed is a lot more difficult then most people think. My older brother is a journeyman welder so he too commented on what I've noticed; being that you'll almost always spend the first year with a given company that will supposedly "apprentice you". That means sweeping floors doing the typical bitch type jobs.
IF (key word here being IF) but IF they deem you good enough, THEN they'll put you through school. Once you've been put to school for the first time, you are then a first year apprentice.

The problem is with countless companies and people, is that when it comes to money, people change... seriously, and by that I mean your potential boss.
You'd be truely amazed at how many people are "waiting to get apprenticed" by bosses that continually give them the run around, and say such things as
"were to busy to put you through school, come and talk to me in a few months" or "I dont have the time to talk about this, come and see me later" or "we can't afford to lose you while you attend school".... and on and on and on. :nut: Just to keep you doing the same duties as would a 1st or 2nd year apprentice, but one that is getting paid peanuts in comparison to what they should be getting.
So many, many people go through years and years just waiting by the way-side to be put through school.
Its fucking horrible, but it happens ALL The time. ALL the time... You'd be amazed at the number of people that get taken advantage of this way. No I'm not saying its guarenteed to happen to you, but it happens quite often. Its not hard to see people that have waited 2,3,5 years, and still havn't been apprenticed yet. :(
Its just what happens in the industr(ies).
Not so much in electrician/plumbing industry, but in welding, and numerous other type manufactering industries, its just a common thing unfortunately.

So keep that in mind if you are still thinking of quitting school and tossing on those cover-alls.
Even though you honestly have no possible idea how badly I wish I could go back, and be in your situation right now... you have NO idea. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
Its not exactly enjoyable knowing how much I'd be potentially making in 15 years time, or just how small of a house I could potentially afford, with the longest possible mortgage. :rolleyes:
Blue collar work sucks man.... dont do it. Please trust me on that.
Yes I do have a nice car and bike now, (Dont let that fool you) thats only because I'm a young single guy with no other commitments or family, and I budget my money quite well.

Jim Rome99
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I think I've said what I've meant to said in this thread already...

but one more thing to add, is that GETTING apprenticed is a lot more difficult then most people think. My older brother is a journeyman welder so he too commented on what I've noticed; being that you'll almost always spend the first year with a given company that will supposedly &quot;apprentice you&quot;. That means sweeping floors doing the typical bitch type jobs.
IF (key word here being IF) but IF they deem you good enough, THEN they'll put you through school. Once you've been put to school for the first time, you are then a first year apprentice.

The problem is with countless companies and people, is that when it comes to money, people change... seriously, and by that I mean your potential boss.
You'd be truely amazed at how many people are &quot;waiting to get apprenticed&quot; by bosses that continually give them the run around, and say such things as
&quot;were to busy to put you through school, come and talk to me in a few months&quot; or &quot;I dont have the time to talk about this, come and see me later&quot; or &quot;we can't afford to lose you while you attend school&quot;.... and on and on and on. :nut: Just to keep you doing the same duties as would a 1st or 2nd year apprentice, but one that is getting paid peanuts in comparison to what they should be getting.
So many, many people go through years and years just waiting by the way-side to be put through school.
Its fucking horrible, but it happens ALL The time. ALL the time... You'd be amazed at the number of people that get taken advantage of this way. No I'm not saying its guarenteed to happen to you, but it happens quite often. Its not hard to see people that have waited 2,3,5 years, and still havn't been apprenticed yet. :(
Its just what happens in the industr(ies).
Not so much in electrician/plumbing industry, but in welding, and numerous other type manufactering industries, its just a common thing unfortunately.

So keep that in mind if you are still thinking of quitting school and tossing on those cover-alls.
Even though you honestly have no possible idea how badly I wish I could go back, and be in your situation right now... you have NO idea. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
Its not exactly enjoyable knowing how much I'd be potentially making in 15 years time, or just how small of a house I could potentially afford, with the longest possible mortgage. :rolleyes:
Blue collar work sucks man.... dont do it. Please trust me on that.
Yes I do have a nice car and bike now, (Dont let that fool you) thats only because I'm a young single guy with no other commitments or family, and I budget my money quite well.

Employers must either lay you off or indenture you within your first ninety days of employment. Many companies, particularly welding shops, do not follow this rule, just as many won't pay you overtime when you work in excess of forty four hours per week.

You are a first year apprentice the day you receive your blue book from Alberta Apprenticeship, not when you get out of first year school. Your hours start counting as soon as they process your apprenticeship application.

If you are working in a compulsory registration trade, which includes welding and electrical, you may not work a single day in the trade without being indentured. The company can and will be fined if they are caught with unindentured workers on their worksite.

A full list of compulsory trades can be found here:

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=trades_occupations.asp

Graham_A_M
02-04-2009, 10:37 PM
^ I'd be interested in researching that more, since I know more countless companies off the top of my head that dont follow those guidelines. :dunno:

Jim Rome99
02-04-2009, 10:39 PM
^ I'd be interested in researching that more, since I know more countless companies off the top of my head that dont follow those guidelines. :dunno:

You should report them, for the purpose of helping out the poor, ignorant people that they take advantage of.

alieno1
02-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Be happy with any job that can support a family.

If you pursue a job for the purpose of making the most money, you will never be happy. Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.