PDA

View Full Version : What deerfoot and a faulty hood latch will do to a TL

eur0
01-29-2009, 06:24 PM
A couple weeks back I was on my way home from work going down Deerfoot and all of a sudden, WHAM! I have a windshield in my face and I can't see a damn thing. Scared the living shit out of me but I was lucky enough that there were no cars around so I could look out the passenger window to determine where to pull over.

eur0
01-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Windshield

Senseiz
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
So the hood flew into your windshield. Gave you a shock. So you drove ace ventura style

http://www.bobpitch.com/anon/funkstar_AceVentura.jpg

adidas
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
damn dude that sucks!

i was down in the south, opened up my hood(not fully just released it with the latch) and then someone interrupted me i totally forgot about the hood! drove home on deerfoot for about 10min before i realized it was open.

Stupid mistake that could have cost me my life in the end.

Hope you escaped uninjured from ur vehicle!

eur0
01-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah I consider myself lucky for not being on Deerfoot when it was congested.

1-Bar
01-29-2009, 06:40 PM
holy crap....I remember that happening to a member on here a while back, good thing that didn't shatter the windshield into your face......

Redlyne_mr2
01-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Yah it scares the hell out of me... it happened once to myself and a buddy.. jamming through a residential area in his dad's 911 (we were 16). Scared the hell out of us... almost ditched the car into a house.

94boosted
01-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
holy crap....I remember that happening to a member on here a while back, good thing that didn't shatter the windshield into your face......

Windshields are made specially so that they don't shatter in the event of an impact

4doorj
01-29-2009, 09:08 PM
That would scare me like crazy.

skylinegtr20
01-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

Where have you been for the last ooo 90 years? Front windshields do not shatter like a house window. They crack and take an impact.

Side windows shatter into a million pieces but usually cause no harm.

drsomebody
01-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Happened to me last summer on deerfoot too. What pissed me off was that i just bought the car and owned it for about five minutes. The previous owner also replace the windshield before he sold it to me.

mo_money2supe
01-29-2009, 10:15 PM
I used to always laugh at the little sticker near the hood latch that says to oil it every year. Lately, my latch has been somewhat "sticky" with its cable release and I have to manually push the cable release out of the way just to close the hood. Still kinda sketchy sometimes though and I really hope something like this doesn't happen to me one day - especially since I travel between Calgary and Saskatoon almost once a month!

AE92_TreunoSC
01-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I had a 540i do it to me.

The BMW emblem went THROUGH the sunroof, I had a glass shower...

It was fucking terrifying.

Kloubek
01-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Windshields are made specially so that they don't shatter in the event of an impact

No way?!

Thaco
01-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Originally posted by skylinegtr20

Where have you been for the last ooo 90 years? Front windshields do not shatter like a house window. They crack and take an impact.

Just because they dont shatter doesn't mean they dont spit slivers of glass in your face/eyes.

ga16i
01-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the club. Wow, hood latch failure seems quite common among beyond users. I had my hood fly up and smash my windshield on Deerfoot last October.

Looks like you got lucky and the hood didn't smash your sunroof too. Mine wrapped around and smacked my sunroof creating a crazy glass shower. At first I thought I was dead suddenly, things just didn't make sense. Driving along and BANG!!!! and all I see is black (I have a black car).

Clever
01-30-2009, 09:20 AM
That happened to my friend and I in his truck after he had some stereo work done, they forgot to lock the hood and WHAM! We veered off too the side of the road and stopped, a cop behind us saw it happen too, he came and checked on us but aside from almost pissing my pants we were good.

revelations
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
holy fack.... I should check my hood latches

Isaiah
01-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Happened to me many years ago. The single most terrifying moment of my life. I was heading westbound on Crowchild just past Shaganappi and BANG. It took me a couple of seconds to figure out what was going on. Thankfully I was the only car on the road as well or it would have definitely been a lot worse.

Kennyredline
01-30-2009, 10:47 AM
....and don't it make my blue seat brown.....lol

em2ab
01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Senseiz
So the hood flew into your windshield. Gave you a shock. So you drove ace ventura style

He said passenger window, not driver.

rony_espana
01-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah this has actually happened to me twice haha, once on deerfoot and once heading to chestermere. Really sucks, and scares the hell out of you....both times were late and there were no cars around thank god. It wasn't even a faulty hood latch, just that I didn't close the hood properly. :facepalm:

stevieo
01-30-2009, 04:51 PM
i remember i drove a car back for honda once from airdrie and about halfway home i noticed the hood was shaking hardcore... pulled over, haha shit i was driving with the hood not even closed properly

rc2002
01-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by eur0
Yeah I consider myself lucky for not being on Deerfoot when it was congested.

Actually if Deerfoot was congested and moving 10km/h like it does in rush hour then it probably wouldn't have happened.

I had a similar experience. It was at highway speed in a convertible and the hood was fibreglass. The hood glanced my head and I took a bunch of glass dust in the face.

Impreza
01-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Scary stuff! What are typical signs of a faulty hood latch? I mean, it either locks in, or it doesn't, right? Seems like this problem is way too common.

TDFTW
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
i had that happen to me twice. my old cavalier. shattered the sunroof too i had to eventually sell the car, i stripped out the interior and still couldn't remove all the glass :(

revelations
01-31-2009, 12:57 AM

with a bullet in your mouth too?

ShermanEF9
01-31-2009, 01:07 AM
same thing happened to me on glenmore... but there was quite a bit of traffic.

Shunsui
01-31-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by skylinegtr20

I once punched through one of those windows and I still have the scar on my hand...Maybe not as harmful as the old ones, but still harmful

Barking_Spidre
01-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by revelations

with a bullet in your mouth too?

Maybe he's from the NE.

Moe Man
01-31-2009, 12:18 PM
wait dont you have to pull the release tap behind the grill in-order for the hood to actually open????

i release my hood on hot summer days when my car gets hot to release the hot air.

it will never open untill i pull the tab behind my grill.:dunno:

em2ab
01-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
i release my hood on hot summer days when my car gets hot to release the hot air.
You do what? Why?

This is different these guys opened that tab, forgot about it without shutting the hood all the way, then drove down the highway.

nonlinear
01-31-2009, 08:42 PM
WOW man, that's fucking crazy - you're lucky you were able to pull over safely! that's really weird for that to happen - basically both latches had to fail... i can't imagine how that could ever happen.

back in the day, i had a car with a bad lock cylinder in my ignition and couldn't turn the car off... unless i disconnected the battery. so i would never fully close the hood and just leave it on the secondary latch. never had a problem, curious as to what happened in your situation!

Masked Bandit
01-31-2009, 09:42 PM
So for all of you guys that have had this happen (including the OP), are these factory hoods or CF / aftermarket stuff?

luxor
02-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Never happened to me before but this has happened to a friend of mine. He had an aftermarket hood and he did not install the secondary latch properly. The fact that the primary latch was barely locking on didn't help either.

The hood is not suppose to fly open, even if you accidentally pulled the hood release at highway speeds, that's why there is the secondary. Sucks that both your latches were faulty.

ShermanEF9
02-01-2009, 03:43 AM

Mine just straight up failed. it was secure but it let go.

adamc
02-01-2009, 11:55 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1095/1338794062_f758bc48e4.jpg?v=0

I'm glad my hood opens like this :)

eur0
02-01-2009, 07:31 PM
the hood is the original from the factory

core_upt
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
had it happen to me in my crx - twice!
scary shit for sure

Moe Man
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
i dont understand, even if i open my hood and then lighty set it down, the weight of the hood alone will cause the secondary latch to lock.

yes i open the primary latch to cool of my engine on hot days......long story but that is what happens when you force induct engines. :banghead:

2jzgte
02-02-2009, 04:06 PM
This happened to a friend on the highway, most terrifying moment according to him.

Generic
02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
wow why is this so common??

eur0
02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah I didn't expect this kind of response, maybe they should make oem hood pins ugh..

Thaco
02-03-2009, 11:19 AM
i dont understand, even if i open my hood and then lighty set it down, the weight of the hood alone will cause the secondary latch to lock.

yes i open the primary latch to cool of my engine on hot days......long story but that is what happens when you force induct engines. :banghead: Hence why the word FAULTY is used in a bunch of these statements. it's not supposed to let go, but it can, if your latch is FAULTY.

Moe Man
02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
Hence why the word FAULTY is used in a bunch of these statements. it's not supposed to let go, but it can, if your latch is FAULTY.

A Latch consists of a metal hook and a spring, how can so many fail, its the most simple part in a automobile:banghead:

jdmSiR
02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
hahahahaah

nonlinear
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
i'm not sure i believe this has happened as much as people are reporting in the thread... i'm sure it happens occasionally, but shit i've been driving for 15 years (and mostly on busy interstates in the US) and i've NEVER seen a single instance of this, ever. yet, in a thread on beyond with a membership of, whatm, 50000 (?) and there are several reports, including some people saying it happened to them twice?

yea right.

:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

Gibson
02-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Clearly lying about how many times your hood latch has broken is a way to get mad E-fame.

m3_powered
02-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Similar experience, except while ripping through deerfoot a few years back my CF hood(outer shell) flew off leaving the structural frame of the hood still latched. You get what you pay for Damn, cheap imitations.

.civictyper.
02-12-2009, 12:02 AM
man that happend to me in my 91 civic hatch.. it was a cf hood.. totally destroyed the hood and my winshield.. not impressed haha

Sebasshole
02-21-2009, 02:30 PM
my winterbeater had the hood tied down with a bungy cord, first time i went 120 on deerfoot the cord stretched till the hood was level with my head, hit the breaks hood went down, never went faster then 110 in that car ever again,

eur0
02-22-2009, 12:09 AM
lol bungee cord, that wouldn't surprise me

rumeo
02-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Yeah I'm calling BS on a lot of these as well, my brothers latch was broken on his civic for quite awhile and it never happened to him

Scope951
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
haha only beyond would be the first to call out a bunch of hood latch Bs:nut: :rofl:

I was not aware that is was cool to have to pay for damages on your car while endangering your life with lack of vision going 120km:banghead:

Assuming you read the post, majority of them failed to properly secure their hoods down before venturing out.

I would not doubt the issue, as it may be the simplest part, it many only take the simplest issue to fail.