PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a TENS or muscle stimulator?

Pacman
01-30-2009, 12:13 AM
If so, where did you get it and how much was it?

I've got some tight muscles in my back after having surgery, and thought I could buy one to use at home instead of paying $65 each time I go to physio.

I can't really find any solid reviews online or a place to buy one locally.

Thanks
James

Ebon
01-30-2009, 01:32 AM
i have one from Dr. Ho, its old but i think we got it from a demo he did at a mall. I think they demo them at stampede every year too.

Also ask for physio if he/she can order you one. When i worked at a physio clinic they gave the info on where to order them if you asked.

Kritafo
01-31-2009, 10:33 AM
bodybreak made one as well, though I am not sure where you would find one now.

You pay to use it as physio? Isn't it covered. I never paid a dime to go and do it.

If your going to buy locally I would try some of the medical supply place. But the best deal of course.....E-bay.

Stubby
01-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
bodybreak made one as well, though I am not sure where you would find one now.

You pay to use it as physio? Isn't it covered. I never paid a dime to go and do it.

If your going to buy locally I would try some of the medical supply place. But the best deal of course.....E-bay.

I believe physio isn't covered by Alberta Health Care anymore. So if you don't have any health benefits from work or a third party such as blue cross, you will have to pay for it.

Pacman
01-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Stubby

I believe physio isn't covered by Alberta Health Care anymore. So if you don't have any health benefits from work or a third party such as blue cross, you will have to pay for it.

I had 10 free physio hours after my surgery, but now I'm paying out of pocket.....which I don't mind, but I want to spread the appointments throughout the year and perhaps get the muscle TENS machine to use every other day.

milesmcewing
01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
www.osim.com

I bought one from them, great product, got the wireless one with spare pads.

I know they have a store in Richmond BC, but don't know if they import the 'Igo-go'

Mine came from Hong Kong. for about $400.00

You can buy tens from a US distributor, but they are wire-up versions.

Cheers
Miles

Impreza
01-31-2009, 11:59 AM
They have an Osim in market I think.

wts
02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
A TENS unit won't do anything for your tight muscles. What it will do is be a tempory pain relief of your tight muscles. They are known as a feel good device not a rehab device.

If the Physio place you were going to was any good they would have told you that.

Pacman
02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by wts
A TENS unit won't do anything for your tight muscles. What it will do is be a tempory pain relief of your tight muscles. They are known as a feel good device not a rehab device.

If the Physio place you were going to was any good they would have told you that.

I'm going to Lifemark Physio at the Taslisman Centre, which was suggested by my orthopedic surgeon. They seem to be knowledgeable and professional there.

Is there a difference between a TENS unit and an electrical stimulation unit?

The one I get at physio causes my muscle to contract and relax.

Kritafo
02-03-2009, 08:19 AM
so I just had to relook this up, and I not sure of the difference now.

http://www.netproductstore.com/Info/Questions.html#difference

Pacman
02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Jeesh, doesn't really seem like there are many reputable sites selling these machines. They are all promoting them for "building six pack abs" while you sleep.

Perhaps it's placebo effect, but the muscle knot in my buttock feels much better after I've had 30 mins with the EMS on it. The pain is generally much more tolerable and it feels smaller.

I'll see if there are any reputable local Calgary dealers to buy from.

Originally posted by Kritafo
there is a difference between a TENS and an EMS

I just had a second to look it up, but here is a comparisons.

http://buyamag.com/what_is_TENS_EMS.htm

Kritafo
02-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Was just at CalMedi off Home Road NW and they have a TENS machine right behind the counter I can't remember the brand it was PRO-something.

Anyhow they guy that works there is fantastic I highly recommend any supplies you need. So I asked him the difference between and EMS and TENS he was told that any any device that pulses electronic stimulation is a TENS machine, so EMS and TENS are the same.

Anyhow they sell the device for 150-ish range.

XylathaneGTR
02-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I've got a muscle stimulator that was recommended by my physiotherapist, and it's currently being used to stimulate a number of muscles in my leg to slow down muscle deterioration and atrophy until the nerve system has fully healed.
I purchased it from a company based in the UK and it was mailed out to me...at a cost of about 180 CAD in total.
It's been a great unit and has a very wide range of settings for multiple purposes...Although I would recommend having a physiotherapist set it up for you to suit your specific needs.

The name of the unit and company escapes me at this moment, so i'll update this post when ever I get home from school.

Kritafo
02-19-2009, 06:30 PM
just a heads up Costco.ca online has Dr Ho's, at least costco has a good return policy, well not as good as it used to be, but still decent

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10317465&search=massage&Mo=43&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=massage&Ntt=massage&No=13&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1