PDA

View Full Version : importing non-American used car rule for Canada

gt37
01-31-2009, 03:41 AM
Hello all.

I emailed Transport Canada about this question, but they didn't reply(go figure). Can anyone help?

"I am enquiring to know how the minimum age of vehicles is set at 15 years and even why there is a regulation. I was/am interested in importing a minivan from Japan until I noticed the minimum age(15yrs) requirement. I am also perplexed, since new imports from any country can be readily bought in Japan(they don't have any age rule). I understand how Canada would want to protect some of it's industry from foreign competition, but I grew up in the West(Calgary) where the auto manufacturing industry is insignificant if almost non-existent. So, from my perspective this rule should be re-examined. Another point is that Canada does have a textile industry that does employ a large number of people, but I don't/don't know about any restrictions on cheap imported clothing from China, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc."

If anyone could give me a logical answer to my question it would greatly be appreciated

rp_guy
01-31-2009, 03:57 AM
why don't you go read for yourself.

www.riv.ca

PS. i don't see what clothes have to do with cars.. that's the stupidest analogy i've seen

Team_Mclaren
01-31-2009, 04:10 AM
To simply answer your question, its not about protecting the domestic industry or any crap like that. It's that we have different regulations to vehicles (emission, crash test, safety requirements etc.) than say... the rest of the world? A vehicle that's for sale in Japan does not mean it meets the requirements of Canada (not to mentioned that its RHD.. go figured :rolleyes: ).

Transport Canada cant do shit If you want this to be re-examine. They simply carry out whats written in the Law.

PS: use common sense.... its not that difficult

Rocky
01-31-2009, 04:13 AM
You used the wrong "it's", so they probably didn't reply for that reason :P

15 years was sort of set as an arbitrary date, to the best of my knowledge. There's no scientific value or reasoning behind it. This issue was hardly of concern when these laws were first passed, so there was little weight placed on this age restriction.

The major issue is safety; cars made in different places around the world are built under different guidelines that may or may not be compatible with Canadian (North American) standards. While it is easy to show that these cars are indeed just as capable as the ones we may purchase and drive locally, Transport Canada really doesn't care much and is not going to take the trouble of updating these outdated laws anytime soon.

Team_Mclaren
01-31-2009, 04:20 AM
IIRC the whole point of the 15 year law was to allow collectors to import collector cars into the country for leisure and as a collector item. It was never meant for 15 year old + beatass "jdm" boyracers that locals wont even drive if they were free. :rofl: :rofl: