PDA

View Full Version : Need help with XP reformat

garyb
01-31-2009, 12:26 PM
so i reformatted my HD, downloaded all the drivers, but the windows xp cd i found in my place is an old version of XP. im getting error msg's saying i need XP SP2. Does anyone have an XP SP2 install cd i can snag? or know where i can download it? ive got a legit cd key just can't find the cd that came w/ my laptop. Thanks!

arian_ma
01-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Do you have an old version of XP installed right now and you're getting errors? If that's the case just update to SP2 through windows update.

garyb
01-31-2009, 12:36 PM
old version of xp is what im being told. i just checked the website i guess i can just get SP3? sorry kinda a noob at computers, surprised i got this far.

xLostx
01-31-2009, 01:53 PM
yeahhhhh lol, just download whatever is available, SP3 should over ride that shit?

Mitsu3000gt
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
If you have a pirated copy of Windows XP, do not download SP3.

You should be able to get SP2 no problem, in fact, windows updates should even do it for you after a little while.

garyb
01-31-2009, 03:18 PM
its not pirated, but im not 100% sure that i used the install disc that came with my laptop. i know its a legit cd though, maybe from my old desktop or something. can i just dl SP3?

oilerfan4lyfe
02-01-2009, 11:55 AM
If you go into windows update and it passes the genuine advantage test then it means your windows is legit...

This might also help you out - not sure if it will get you SP2 since I already have it so I haven't tried DLing it but it outta help I think

http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2getinstall

I still haven't installed SP3 on any of my computers - it fucks everything up for me - my laptop keyboard stops working or my mouse stop working, programs fuck up, etc.

Pacman
02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Is SP3 safe to install these days?

I recall reading that there were numerous issues with it, and when I installed it on the Thinkpad, my audio drivers stopped working. As soon as I removed it, everything went back to normal.

adam c
02-02-2009, 12:17 AM
haven't seen any issues with SP3, but be warned, your original win xp/sp1/sp2 key will not work with a SP3 install disk

Mitsu3000gt
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I stayed at SP2, no reason at all to upgrade to SP3 in my opinion. Lots of people seem to have problems with it.

garyb
02-07-2009, 04:26 PM
so i installed sp2, then sp3. everything seems to work fine except my video card. i need to figure out which one came with my laptop, and dl the driver. i wish i took it somewhere now....

eblend
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by garyb
so i installed sp2, then sp3. everything seems to work fine except my video card. i need to figure out which one came with my laptop, and dl the driver. i wish i took it somewhere now....

just go to laptop manufactures site, under support somewhere enter model number and it will give you a list of all the drives for your laptop, including the ones for your video