PDA

View Full Version : How To Play Guitar?

A790
01-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Anyone have any good resources on how to play guitar? I just picked up an old acoustic that I want to learn to play. I'm going to go pick up an electric tuner on Monday and maybe a book or two.

Anything else I should know/need?

zipdoa
01-31-2009, 01:01 PM
E-A-D-G

Now start a band.

stefan15
01-31-2009, 01:19 PM
As lame a title as it may be "Amazing Guitar Secrets" is a good beginner's DVD.

Mckenzie
01-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I learned on a book called 10 easy steps to play the guitar...there is not much variability in learning. You pretty much start with notes, move to chords and then link them together...no real need to make it more difficult than necessary.

My biggest advice to you as I have been playing for 14 yrs and seen many beginners start up and quit, is to get through the first 30 days by practicing 3-5 times per week. I know it sounds cliche, but you need to get over that initial beginner hump and then the world is your oyster. The hardest part is learning coordination and finger / hand positioning at the start, but once you are beyond that, and it should be within a month, you are good to go and will progress VERY fast.

Good luck. :):thumbsup:

TurboD
01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
once you get good at guitar hero you've basically learned everything you need to know, the rest is a breeze.

:angel:

A790
01-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the advice :)

Working from home allows me a bit of time so I plan to practice it every day before I start working. 45-60 minutes is totally plausible :)

And I'm already a guitar hero master, so this should be easy :poosie:

psycoticclown
01-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Berklee's A Modern Method for Guitar

/thread

Easily the best book out there for learning, a lot more technical than some books as it actually deals with notes and not tabs and makes you learn the notes on the guitar. Too many people know how to play guitar with tabs but if throw sheet music in front of them, even the simplest of songs, they won't know how to play. PM me if you need a copy.

pyroza
01-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
Berklee's A Modern Method for Guitar

/thread

Easily the best book out there for learning, a lot more technical than some books as it actually deals with notes and not tabs and makes you learn the notes on the guitar. Too many people know how to play guitar with tabs but if throw sheet music in front of them, even the simplest of songs, they won't know how to play. PM me if you need a copy.

True, a couple days ago a new guy wanted to join our school band. He played guitar. He started doing some sweep picking and all that stuff, but when the time came to read the sheet music, he had to watch me in order to figure out where to put his fingers.

psycoticclown
02-01-2009, 02:50 AM
The thing about that book is it teaches you proper scales, chords and later, arpeggios, which are what sweeps are essentially.

arian_ma
02-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I say get a teacher for the first few times, just so you have the proper building blocks. You don't want to start building bad habits and then having to get over them later.

v2kai
02-03-2009, 04:56 AM
justinguitar.com

free lessons, no bullshit. great site. excellent videos and there's a donation section if you are happy with his free lessons, cant get a better deal than that. i've been going through his lessons and vids and it's a good place to pick up the right techniques and learn the right stuff!:thumbsup:

A790
02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Oh, what now suckaaaaz... I can play "Ode to Joy" BOOYA.

LOL thanks for the site BTW. :)

sk8r3124
02-04-2009, 01:57 PM
I learned to play guitar by learning to read tabs. Way easier than reading sheet music.

rage2
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Whats the point in learning sheet music if everything on the internet and at music stores is in tabs? Something to brag about? Certainly doesn't help your playing at all if you know sheet music.

It's like trying to play Piano using piano tabs (they exist lol). Makes zero sense.

EK 2.0
02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's like trying to play Piano using piano tabs (they exist lol). Makes zero sense.

REALLY??...

So the 12+ years my mommy made me take piano lessons and learning to read sheet music I could have been reading tabs??...hahaha....Are they easy to read??

psycoticclown
02-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Whats the point in learning sheet music if everything on the internet and at music stores is in tabs? Something to brag about? Certainly doesn't help your playing at all if you know sheet music.

You have a point, however tabs are dead easy to learn. I'm definitely not bashing tabs, they are great, but learning how to read notes properly and knowing the notes on the guitar gives you much more flexibility as a player. I've been to too many jams where we tell the guitarist we're playing in E minor or whatever and they're like what? Sure it's possible to learn all your scales in tab, but IMO, learning the notes properly gives you a much more indepth knowledge of the guitar, especially if your getting into stuff like Jazz.

Plus sheet music lets you make your own finguring, if your learning a song on tab and don't like how the finguring is set up for a paticular section or whatever, or how that section sounds on a particular section of the neck, you can always just use a different position, and learning the notes gives you that flexibility.

Not bashing tabs, they are valuable tools especially in learning, they just doesn't take you to the next level in playing.

pyroza
02-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Piano tabs look so confusing... sheet music doesn't take very long to learn anyways :dunno:

em2ab
02-04-2009, 11:05 PM
I found it easiest to take a song you like listening to and know how it sounds, then look up the tabs on the internet and try to reproduce it. However the worst thing about this is it shows you where to put your fingers but I never saw anywhere it tells you which strings to strum with the pick.....I was always guessing.

rage2
02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I've been to too many jams where we tell the guitarist we're playing in E minor or whatever and they're like what?
That would be me LOL. I still dunno notes or chord names (bear claw! turkey leg! LOL) but once everyone starts playing something I can figure out where to play.

Originally posted by em2ab
However the worst thing about this is it shows you where to put your fingers but I never saw anywhere it tells you which strings to strum with the pick.....I was always guessing.
Uhh, you pick the strings that has a number or X.

msommers
02-05-2009, 12:04 AM

That would be me LOL. I still dunno notes or chord names (bear claw! turkey leg! LOL) but once everyone starts playing something I can figure out where to play. Hahaha I didn't even know that those existed.....:rofl: turkey leg

psycoticclown
02-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I know some very talented guitarists who only play by tabs, and they blow me away. I didn't know the notes on the guitar for the longest time either haha, been playing piano for over 12 years, done all the RCM theory courses and I should have the know-how to jam with people but not knowing notes on the guitar killed me haha. That's why I tell every newbie to guitar to learn it properly, makes a huge difference imho. And that Berklee book is by far the best book out there.

rage2
02-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Hahaha I didn't even know that those existed.....:rofl: turkey leg
haha that's from an episode of Friends.

three.eighteen.
02-05-2009, 03:08 AM

reading music/understanding the keyboard does help understanding theory which in turn improves your improvisational skills.

but no it will not help your physical chops.

i teach kids to read sheet music because its good for school so parents receive some form of added value.

old farts that just want to play guitar...tab all the way.

zipdoa
02-05-2009, 06:25 PM

I learned some piano w/ tabs... it's a little goofy but it works.

A790
02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Now I can play skip to my lou. Jealous yet? ;)

zipdoa
02-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by A790

lets jam :poosie:

v2kai
02-06-2009, 04:00 PM

holy shit when's the concert and how much are tickets?:thumbsup:

iroccragg
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM
check out vguitarlessions.com
more directed towards electric but there is some acustic in there

A790
02-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

lets jam :poosie:
Oh I dunno, I wouldn't want to make you look bad :poosie:

Originally posted by v2kai

holy shit when's the concert and how much are tickets?:thumbsup:
Concert is in a week, $195/each private seating. Bring your own ear muffs.

Vagabond142
02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Is there a good site to get tabs? I remember a while back that there was a site that you could click on a band name, click on a song, and it put up the tabs but also had a built in function where you could have the computer play the tabs so you could watch how the timing went. Was helping me learn some of the easier songs but I lost the bookmark when I wiped and reinstalled my computer

flipstah
02-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Is there a good site to get tabs? I remember a while back that there was a site that you could click on a band name, click on a song, and it put up the tabs but also had a built in function where you could have the computer play the tabs so you could watch how the timing went. Was helping me learn some of the easier songs but I lost the bookmark when I wiped and reinstalled my computer

Ultimate Guitar. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

That's how I learned "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias. Chicks melt like ice. :poosie:

psycoticclown
02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
911tabs.com

Do you use guitar pro?

Vagabond142
02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm going off of a couple months of learning in my late teens and a constant interest in music. I'm using my dad's old (like 1960's old) acoustic guitar, and pretty much finding the easy songs to get my mind and fingers back into the whole guitar swing of things.

flipstah
02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I'm going off of a couple months of learning in my late teens and a constant interest in music. I'm using my dad's old (like 1960's old) acoustic guitar, and pretty much finding the easy songs to get my mind and fingers back into the whole guitar swing of things.

"Easy" songs are the ones you're familiar with and since you know what it sounds like, you'll know when you make mistakes and such.

msommers
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
911tabs.com

Do you use guitar pro?

911 tabs is awesome. It compiles tabs from all over into one nice spot. I have so many binders full of tabs...thank you work:rofl:

ps I'm going to make a song about turkey legs and claws. Now to try to figure out what those chords actually are!

A790
02-10-2009, 02:30 PM
What is a tab, and how do I learn to play with one?

flipstah
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
What is a tab, and how do I learn to play with one?

A tab usually tells you which fret to hold on to and the strumming pattern, if given.

rage2
02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
ps I'm going to make a song about turkey legs and claws. Now to try to figure out what those chords actually are!
haha ever since that ep of friends I've tried to figure it out. I'm PRETTY sure the turkey leg is a G chord.

http://www.iplaymusic.com/guitar_g_chord_clip_image002.jpg

And the bear claw is a D chord.

http://www.iplaymusic.com/guitar_d_chord_clip_image002.jpg

psycoticclown
02-10-2009, 04:52 PM
^^Haha wtf.

msommers
02-10-2009, 06:37 PM
This whole phoebe business has got me searching around for a bit. But I found it:rofl:

hlLV8S6uwZw

FWD 7:00

Ok so, trying to figure out how this looks:

Bearclaw is tough but I think Em or a weird G
Turkey Leg is probably C
Old Lady is like A7 or something

wildkarrde
02-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Definitely check this site out, it's basically an online version of Guitar Pro.

http://www.songsterr.com/

s8chan
02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Best advice is do not quit when you get frustrated. Find some songs you like and want to learn, get some tabs and keep practicing till your fingers bleed (they eventually stop). Guitar is something that you have to put lots of time and effort into. In terms of learning sheet music, I know it from playing piano and other instruments but I find it to be not very useful for guitar. Eventually you won't even be thinking about what you are doing and will be playing by feel.

msommers
02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
^^I kind of have to disagree with that to some degree. Learning sheet music is usually tied in with theory which is essential for chord progression and using the proper notes during a solo. Now that I'm recording and not just fuckin around, I'm actually crackin open my old theory books cuz I can't remember fuck all from my piano days. I'm playing piano and guitar but it's helping for both.

One things tabs (well, not the book ones or guitarpro) tend to leave out is timing. Timing is critical for music and is painfully obvious when you can't do it properly.

OP, although you're just starting, I'd STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest learning to alternate pick early. It's much easier to do early than get used to down-picking and get all fucked up when the up-pick come around.

Keep at it and don't get discouraged!! I know it can be frustrating as fuck though:rofl:

psycoticclown
02-10-2009, 11:44 PM
^^I kind of have to disagree with that to some degree. Learning sheet music is usually tied in with theory which is essential for chord progression and using the proper notes during a solo. Now that I'm recording and not just fuckin around, I'm actually crackin open my old theory books cuz I can't remember fuck all from my piano days. I'm playing piano and guitar but it's helping for both.

One things tabs (well, not the book ones or guitarpro) tend to leave out is timing. Timing is critical for music and is painfully obvious when you can't do it properly.

OP, although you're just starting, I'd STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest learning to alternate pick early. It's much easier to do early than get used to down-picking and get all fucked up when the up-pick come around.

Keep at it and don't get discouraged!! I know it can be frustrating as fuck though:rofl:

:werd:

It depends alot actually on your style of music too, if your playing punk and mainstream rock, tabs will suffice, but once you get into stuff like blues or especially jazz, you'll need to know those chord progressions and how to change keys and what chords can be used as pivot chords, how to get from a major key into a minor key etc.

TKRIS
02-11-2009, 08:58 AM
I've avoided musical theory for a long time, but now that I actually want to learn to play instead of just developing muscle memory, I'm finding that theory is very helpful.
I've set some goals for myself in term of speed, accuracy, and chord changes. Once I get there, I'm going to get myself into lessons to concentrate on theory, as I have a hard time learning it myself off the intertubes.

Also, like msommers said, learn alternate picking, but develop your economy picking at the same time. I prefer that style anyway, but you'll need to know both so you can transition between the two.

Vagabond142
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
FOUND IT! The site is www.songsterr.com

zipdoa
02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Learn johnny greenwoods parts in all of OK computer. Start from the beggining (airbag is pretty easy, but addictive as hell, paranoid android has some tough solos, and a sweet lick that requires a cutoff switch while sliding up the neck of the guitar)

This is why radiohead/cutoff switches are fun

56Fd66DKX_g