PDA

View Full Version : Chronic Fatigue

asad16
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey guys I would appreciate any suggestions for my situation.

Well I've been having so much trouble staying awake during the day, I get so exhausted during the day and I eventually just want to crash. It started roughly around last May... I just found myself falling asleep in school, work and even at some parties. I can't see a real reason why, I get a good 8-10 hours of sleep a day, keep a consistent schedule of waking up a certain time and going to bed a certain time. I used to go to the gym 5 days a week, now 4 days since school has started(I even stopped for awhile to see if it helped). I have a good breakfast, including an apple, I quit coffee for awhile(had to start again). I generally eat healthy and don't drink.

I went to the doctors a month ago to see what is going on, he made me do some blood tests and ended up doing an ultrasound on my liver/kidneys which showed no problems. Perfect iron levels, everything relatively okay. I'm just lost right now, and its severly affecting my studies and I can't go out too late anymore just because I'm so dead and out of energy.

I know it's a long shot, but any suggestions anything I could improve this situation. Maybe something I can talk to my doctor about, because he's quite puzzles with a decently fit 19 year old having such troubles staying awake.

Thanks

Darkane
01-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Did he include a testosterone test?

Look there, it's commonly missed. Eat more meat and just because you're tired doesn't mean you can't go out. Force yourself, it's a mind game as well.

4lti7ude
01-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Hyper insomnia?

dj_rice
01-31-2009, 09:34 PM
More leafy greens and fruits in your diet

Toma
01-31-2009, 10:55 PM
When do you get tired? Is there a time relative to when you eat?

Ie.... say 45 minutes or so after lunch... 2 pm or so kind of thing?

Find a friend or family member with a blood sugar thingy, and measure it when you are tired.... if it is low, or chronically low, you could be at risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Also, get your thyroid checked/

In the mean time, go get some Vitamin B12 (sublinguals), and some Vitamin D3 and see if a week of that makes you feel better.

If it is a low blood sugar thing.... you may have to switch to a low carb lifestyle to avoid meds.

bawlls
01-31-2009, 11:37 PM
methamphetamines, get em.

G-ZUS
02-01-2009, 12:10 AM
could be vitamin D too. I had that problem, turned out my vitamin D levels were too low. Started taking vitamin D pills and its better now

asad16
02-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Well I'm taking some vitamin pills now, hoping if that'll work... but besides that i'll take a look at the other stuff and talk to my doctor about it, thanks

arian_ma
02-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Maybe you're getting too much sleep. 10 hours a day? Man that's a lot!

sr20s14zenki
02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
It's perfectly normal to feel sleepy around 1-3:00, its your body's internal clocks fighting, one wants to sleep, one wants to be awake. Google that one, interesting stuff. I find that i start falling asleep at work if im not stimulated ie. if ive been doing the same thing for 3 days straight, i get bored and sleepy.

A790
02-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
It's perfectly normal to feel sleepy around 1-3:00, its your body's internal clocks fighting, one wants to sleep, one wants to be awake. Google that one, interesting stuff. I find that i start falling asleep at work if im not stimulated ie. if ive been doing the same thing for 3 days straight, i get bored and sleepy.
Bang on here.

I hit the gym around 2-3 because if I don't I feel tired the rest of the day. I also found that working from home caused me to be tired ALL the time because I really never had to leave my house much. A change of scenery + fresh air can do the body wonders.

Toma
02-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by A790

Bang on here.

I hit the gym around 2-3 because if I don't I feel tired the rest of the day. I also found that working from home caused me to be tired ALL the time because I really never had to leave my house much. A change of scenery + fresh air can do the body wonders.

That's only cause your blood sugar is not in check, and you are feeling the post lunch crash.

Thomas Gabriel
02-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Low T, DA, T3, C, high Prl, a ton of nutritional deficiencies and allergies, and more. Basically you need to get a very thorough blood test, and look at the results yourself. The clinical ranges are way too broad for a lot of hormones.

Kozikman
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
me too! i'm always really tired through out the whole day. I'm suspecting it's a lack of certain vitamins?

The Machinist
02-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Drink more water! Had the same problem, too much coffee, getting dehydrated. Cut back on the coffee and started drinking more water and now I don't get tired during the day. Also helps to have a protein shake in the morning.

Kloubek
02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
On most days, I too am tired. It is difficult for me to drive to Kamloops (6 hours) without dozing off. (Kinda dangerous!)

I doze off at work often, and when I get home from work I often just want to sleep.

I too had a whole list of tests done, but they found I was in perfect health.

One thing I looked into which I strongly suggest you do as well is sleep apnea. Since you've been feeling like shit, has anyone been around to monitor your sleeping? Do you feel like you might wake up in the middle of the night?

~Leah~
02-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by asad16
Hey guys I would appreciate any suggestions for my situation.

Well I've been having so much trouble staying awake during the day, I get so exhausted during the day and I eventually just want to crash. It started roughly around last May... I just found myself falling asleep in school, work and even at some parties. I can't see a real reason why, I get a good 8-10 hours of sleep a day, keep a consistent schedule of waking up a certain time and going to bed a certain time. I used to go to the gym 5 days a week, now 4 days since school has started(I even stopped for awhile to see if it helped). I have a good breakfast, including an apple, I quit coffee for awhile(had to start again). I generally eat healthy and don't drink.

I went to the doctors a month ago to see what is going on, he made me do some blood tests and ended up doing an ultrasound on my liver/kidneys which showed no problems. Perfect iron levels, everything relatively okay. I'm just lost right now, and its severly affecting my studies and I can't go out too late anymore just because I'm so dead and out of energy.

I know it's a long shot, but any suggestions anything I could improve this situation. Maybe something I can talk to my doctor about, because he's quite puzzles with a decently fit 19 year old having such troubles staying awake.

Thanks

I had the exact same situation when I was 19-22ish. I had to drop out of school because I couldn't make it to class. I believe it was a form of SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and depression. Do you get much sun during the day? If not, try tanning a few times a week, it should help after a little while. Unfortunately, I never really got over my issue... I now have a baby and became a single mom about 7 months ago, so I don't have a choice anymore... it helps I guess! Sorry but I don't have much for helpful info...

Originally posted by Kloubek
I doze off at work often, and when I get home from work I often just want to sleep.

True story. Then I throw things at you. I dare you to doze off today, there's no one separating our desks anymore suckah! :) :whipped:

ExtraSlow
02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
One thing I looked into which I strongly suggest you do as well is sleep apnea. Since you've been feeling like shit, has anyone been around to monitor your sleeping? Do you feel like you might wake up in the middle of the night?
Could be this. You may be getting a lot of sleep, but very little actual "rest."
Videotape yourself sleeping, or ask your wife, girlfriend or willing slut about any abnormal noises while you sleep.

Also, cut out caffeine and stimulants totally. Eat more, smaller meals. Do light workouts.

Kloubek
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

True story. Then I throw things at you. I dare you to doze off today, there's no one separating our desks anymore suckah! :) :whipped:

You just try it.

timdog
02-03-2009, 05:35 PM
my buddy went to a sleep clinic and said it was the best thing he ever did. just a thought. maybe you think you're sleeping fine but you aren't.

Jonel
02-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I had the exact problem as you, and I consulted with our family doctor. He prescribed me a medication called "apo amitriptyline" which from what I understand is an anti depressant and an anti psychotic. It worked wonders for me, the only negative thing I have to say about it is some of the side effects like having a dry mouth.

I've been off it for a couple months now but might have to go back on it since I'm starting to have trouble sleeping again.

Supa Dexta
02-04-2009, 02:33 AM
exercise more, sleep less.

asad16
02-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it troubles me that im getting some replies with anti-depressants... and i'm just curious is it even possible that im depressed and don't know it? I mean I do have some bad days(especially because i'm in engineering) but I can't say im depressed and the bad days are constant... but i'll definitely check that out