PDA

View Full Version : Towing car

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-01-2009, 01:35 AM
As some of you know, I crashed my beloved civic (shadap) back in November. I've been trying to part it out, but my lack of time + mounds of snow + lack of tools, has put a serious hamper in this effort. Since then, it's sat in my driveway.

I'm now going to be moving, and even though I've been told it's alright to bring it with me, rather than being a hassle, I'd like a more permanent solution, either selling it off (very unlikely) or towing it out to my dad's acreage.

Now the logistical problem with this is that:
a) I'm 95% sure AMA will tow from accident/breakdown -> house or shop. House -> Shop, but probably not House -> House (especially one outside city limits) even WITH a platinum membership.

b) Having a tow company do it will cost $200+ dollars. (~55kms)

c) It'll run, but it's not registered/insured, not does it have a cluster, and I'm pretty sure all the coolant is gone too.

d) It has a flat tire (rear drivers side, an easy fix)

So I'm looking for either suggestions for a cheaper solution, or I'm going to offer $100 to the beyonder who can help me get it out to the acreage (it's in Langdon, past chestermere, but before strathmore, and the car is located in Arbour Lake). Now I can borrow my dad's truck, and rent a uhaul dolly, but I would like to avoid incurring any other costs, and as some of you know from my pinto thread, a transmission and 3+ engines later, I'm scared to get into that damn truck.

Now I have till the end of the month to get rid of it, but the sooner the better. I also only have any real time evenings (6pm + later) or anytime on the weekends (Sat pre-6pm preferable).

Please let me know of any suggestions, or offers to help.

TIA,
Smurf

bawlls
02-01-2009, 01:39 AM
toss in some coolant, git r started and il pull some ninja shit and drive it to the acrage!

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by bawlls
toss in some coolant, git r started and il pull some ninja shit and drive it to the acrage!

There's no coolant because the radiator is basically cracked in half.. haha.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Had a few pm's so far.. No one wants to make $100?

Also, no, it can't make it onto a flat bed.. Dolly is probably as good as it'll get.. Unless I have like 20+ people pushing..

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
A few feeler pms, but nothing solid. The sooner I can get this beast moved, the more weight off of my shoulders guys.

ercchry
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
call ama, i got my car towed from racecity to my place then the next week from my place to some guy that bought its place

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Don't have a membership.. Wouldn't it be a little fishy to get a membership and then call them a week later? Plus it's outside the city.. not sure how far they're willing to tow.

R154
02-03-2009, 05:29 PM
No I got a membership and had my car towed the same day. Lots of people do it. They are just happy that you bought a membership and will undoubtfully do it again.

My friend works for a towing company. I will phone her then PM you bro.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
CAA Plus and CAA Plus RV cannot be purchased to cover pre-existing conditions relating to towing, fuel delivery, winching, or lock-smithing needs known prior to purchase of membership.

From their site..

http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/ama/web/membership_Annual-Membership-Fees.htm?link=txt

Weapon_R
02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Unless you pay for their premium membership, no one is going to tow it that far. I think the regular membership only covers a few kms.

AMA also won't tow wrecked cars from house to house. The purpose is for emergencies where a validly insured and registered car breaks down.

ercchry
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
i have ama ;)

EDIT: premium membership, and i have never had them check if i have valid anything

R154
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
word I have never encountered a problem with them towing my cars. Just had to wait a day. And that was because it wasa tow 1km< tow and it was a not priority.

forbiddenera
02-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Call Zabir at 403-975-9504.

He's a good guy and I'm sure he'll give you a great deal on towing..

mention this website.

Thaco
02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
PM racerjim he drives a tow truck and i'm pretty sure he drives right through strathmore every day on his way home, he may be able to do it for you, but no guarantees, it's worth a shot.

viff3r
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think the regular membership only covers a few kms.

5 kms for free, $2/km after that.

mr2mike
02-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Also, no, it can't make it onto a flat bed.. Dolly is probably as good as it'll get.. Unless I have like 20+ people pushing..

FYI
Flat bed's have a winch system to pull the vehicle up onto it. Cars don't drive onto the flatbed.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
No, its just that someone pm'ed me saying they had a flatbed (i'm assuming flatbed trailer). They asked if I could get the car up the ramps onto it.

forbiddenera
02-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

FYI
Flat bed's have a winch system to pull the vehicle up onto it. Cars don't drive onto the flatbed.

Good flat beds have a bed that moves right off the end of the truck and a winch.

Towona
02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Bypass the rad alltogether (hook the outlet hose to the inlet hose with a piece of abs pipe or something). Fill with coolant first tho via the top hose . Drive to the acreage with the heat on blast and coast as much as you can. Keep an eye on the temp guage as you may have to stop now and then to shut it off and let it cool down. :nut:

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-06-2009, 11:15 AM
It's not legal to drive. Headlights are toast, bumper is gone. It's also not registered or insured. Also no cluster = no temp gauge.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks to a very helpful beyond member for helping me get it moved!

evolutionr
03-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by forbiddenera
Call Zabir at 403-975-9504.

He's a good guy and I'm sure he'll give you a great deal on towing..

mention this website.

Awesome guy! Mentioned Beyond! Flat bedded my Brother in laws car for me today. Showed up on time, super professional!!! signed, sealed, and delivered as promised. If I ever need a tow again I know who to call.

Call Zabir, you won't be dissappointed